[REMOVE ADS]

Happy canada day!

I'm probably old enough to be forgiven if I call it Dominion Day at times. By 1984, I was out here in Washington, where Canadian news is harder to find then hens teeth.

But, when I was in junior high school in Ferndale Mi., I had an instructor who thought that since we were about 10 miles from the border, we should know something about the country, so we learned some history, and how to sing "O Canada". I still sing it along with the crowd at Wenatchee Wild games [[they're members of the BCHL). So in honor of Canada Day....

Happy Canada Day! Happy Freedom Fest Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug-Morgan View Post
    I'm probably old enough to be forgiven if I call it Dominion Day at times. By 1984, I was out here in Washington, where Canadian news is harder to find then hens teeth.

But, when I was in junior high school in Ferndale Mi., I had an instructor who thought that since we were about 10 miles from the border, we should know something about the country, so we learned some history, and how to sing "O Canada". I still sing it along with the crowd at Wenatchee Wild games [[they're members of the BCHL). So in honor of Canada Day....

I can remember humming it when the TV went off at night. Remember Channel 9 CKLW, etc LOL!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm so old I remember singing "God Save The King", before Queen Elizabeth took over.

PLEASE EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE..[stop that snickering stu-hehe]BUT I'M NOT UP ON-CANADA DAY,MAYBE A BRIEF HISTORY?

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    PLEASE EXCUSE MY IGNORANCE..[stop that snickering stu-hehe]BUT I'M NOT UP ON-CANADA DAY,MAYBE A BRIEF HISTORY?
    Here is the formal history from Wikipedia:

Canada Day is the national day of Canada. A federal statutory holiday, it celebrates the anniversary of the July 1, 1867, coming into force of the Constitution Act, 1867, which united the three separate colonies of the Province of Canada, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick into a single Dominion within the British Empire called Canada. Originally called Dominion Day, the holiday was renamed in 1982, the year the Canada Act was passed. Canada Day celebrations take place throughout the country, as well as in various locations around the world, attended by Canadians living abroad.

As a kid we always referred to it as "Dominion Day" and the celebrations at the border with Detroit and Windsor was called "Emancipation Day" and later "Freedom Fest" with the largest Fireworks display in all of North America! Big Fun! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I'm so old I remember singing "God Save The King", before Queen Elizabeth took over.

Wow! Really Robb? You must have been a small kid back then? Do you remember seeing any money with King George VI on it?

Thanks marv.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Thanks marv.
    Anytime JAI. It is one of the few times where two countries can celebrate together.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I guess I am with you. I remember when Veterans Day was Armastice Day. It was originally a day celebrated the end of World War 1. [[Not that I'm that old ). And as a kld, I also remember Memorial Day being called Decoration Day.

And I also remember watching the Queen's Coronation on TV, although it must have been film flown to the states and broadcast a day or so later as there were no satellites back then and news traveled slow.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Wow! Really Robb? You must have been a small kid back then? Do you remember seeing any money with King George VI on it?
    Before decimalisation in 1971, I remember sometimes seeing coins still in circulation bearing the head of Queen Victoria.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Before decimalisation in 1971, I remember sometimes seeing coins still in circulation bearing the head of Queen Victoria.
    What??????? I do remember always checking my change to see if I was given Canadian coins. LOL!

What??????? I do remember always checking my change to see if I was given Canadian coins. LOL!
    Sorry. I should have said British coins.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    i guess i am with you. I remember when veterans day was armastice day. It was originally a day celebrated the end of world war 1. [[not that i'm that old ). And as a kld, i also remember memorial day being called decoration day.

And i also remember watching the queen's coronation on tv, although it must have been film flown to the states and broadcast a day or so later as there were no satellites back then and news traveled slow.
    wow,that's right robb,i remember it being decoration day too,i had forgotten all about that one,hehe!

Happy Canada Day

Views: 133
    Absolutely! I saw plenty of coins with 2 King Georges and King Edward, as well. Here are some: