[REMOVE ADS]

Hitsville Distributing Facility in Detroit, Michigan

In the second half of the 1970's, Motown established a Hitsville Distributing headquarters and facility on James Couzens Avenue in Detroit. It was a large warehouse. Gordon Prince was the head person here. This operation eventually moved into the Woodward Avenue location after the tenant who rented there vacated the first floor.

Does anyone know the EXACT address on James Couzens Avenue and does anyone know of any pictures of the facility during this period.

Little known facts about Motown.

Hi Woodward; I would suggest that you post your query on the 'Detroit Yes' forum, as some of the members have access to the old Detroit street guides.

Woodward: the exact address was 18465 James Couzens. But I don't have access to photos, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton Miller View Post
    Woodward: the exact address was 18465 James Couzens. But I don't have access to photos, I'm afraid.
    Cliff: Thank you very much for this information. Little information is known about the Hitsville Distributing operation. Joe Shillair who worked for Motown in the early days first worked at James Couzens. They occupied this location because the Woodward Avenue HQ did not have any available space on the first floor of Motown Center. After Joe ultimately left Motown and the Motown Center was closed the Hitsville Distributing moved to an [undisclosed location] in Sterling Heights, MI.

Woodward: I have a little more info. The Couzens address was that of Prodigal Records, and sales staff for the new Hitsville Distributing were recruited there before it opened for business in the Woodward Ave. location. [[The decision to open Hitsville Dist. in Detroit was taken after Barney Ales and Gordon Prince had returned to Motown in 1975.) As you say, the 2457 location was not ideal, so the operation was soon moved to 32075 Townley Avenue in Madison Heights, MI.