[REMOVE ADS]

Ed Sheeran sued for copyright infringement of "Let's Get It On"

I was wondering how this was going to take to happen:

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...-let-s-n887651

In my opinion, it is a blatant rip-off. I predict he'll pay big for this one.

Good and I hope they really get him! I am so sick and tired of these "newer artists" stealing from legendary artists, especially Marvin Gaye once they have passed on and the new guy feels that it's been long enough for anyone to remember the true great original artists and originators of this music. One reason I do not care much for remakes is because I want something original to enjoy or I will not spend money on it. Shame on you Ed Sheeran who?

I brought this up a couple years ago in Soulful Detroit Forum when they were discussing Alan Thicke/Pharrell losing to the Gaye family over "Blurred Lines". "Thinking Out Loud" is a blatant ripoff from the third or fourth note. I was flatly blasted by multiple members who said it was in a different key and didn't sound anything like "Let's Get It On". The nastiness of that thread was the last straw for me and that forum. Glad to see that I'm not crazy after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I brought this up a couple years ago in Soulful Detroit Forum when they were discussing Alan Thicke/Pharrell losing to the Gaye family over "Blurred Lines". "Thinking Out Loud" is a blatant ripoff from the third or fourth note. I was flatly blasted by multiple members who said it was in a different key and didn't sound anything like "Let's Get It On". The nastiness of that thread was the last straw for me and that forum. Glad to see that I'm not crazy after all.
    You're not crazy. There are some people around that feel that Marvin Gaye's children should not benefit from his work when ALL wealthy families in America inherited some if not all of their wealth from their parents, grandparents etc. There is guy over in the Motown Forum saying that the Gaye Children shouldn't get any money, they should go out and get jobs including Marvin III who is now disabled! These young Pop artists are being exposed for their limited talent and non originality.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Good and I hope they really get him! I am so sick and tired of these "newer artists" stealing from legendary artists, especially Marvin Gaye once they have passed on and the new guy feels that it's been long enough for anyone to remember the true great original artists and originators of this music. One reason I do not care much for remakes is because I want something original to enjoy or I will not spend money on it. Shame on you Ed Sheeran who?
    I don't care if they borrow from classic music, as long as they get permission and pay the royalties, but they don't. That's why they get sued. It' would probably be cheaper and much less of a hassle if they would just clear the rights, but they like to gamble, hoping that no one will care enough.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I don't care if they borrow from classic music, as long as they get permission and pay the royalties, but they don't. That's why they get sued. It' would probably be cheaper and much less of a hassle if they would just clear the rights, but they like to gamble, hoping that no one will care enough.
    Exactly! It's about greed! It is not right and it is not fair!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    You're not crazy. There are some people around that feel that Marvin Gaye's children should not benefit from his work when ALL wealthy families in America inherited some if not all of their wealth from their parents, grandparents etc. There is guy over in the Motown Forum saying that the Gaye Children shouldn't get any money, they should go out and get jobs including Marvin III who is now disabled! These young Pop artists are being exposed for their limited talent and non originality.
    *Edit* I wrote "Soulful Detroit" but of course, I meant "Motown"...

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Sampling is cool but ripping someone off by cribbing their song sans a writing credit is poor form. A lot of people have lost respect for Childish Gambino after hearing Jase Hartley's "American Pharaoh", which has almost the exact same melody and lyrical structure as "This Is America". Hartley said he's not going to sue but would have appreciated acknowledgment. Gambino's management is claiming they have Pro Tools saved data that proves it was a demo a year before "American Pharaoh" was released but I'll believe it if I see it. Classless, IMO.

Besides from the song stealing its melody, even Sheeran himself did a mash-up of both songs at his concerts and it's like why should he be shocked he's getting sued for this?

I might be alone, but I hold as high a disdain for artists like Chris Stapleton who stole the music from Etta James' "I'd Rather Go Blind" for his hit cover of "Tennessee Whiskey" which gives no attribution whatsoever to the older song. It's sad because it is a great mashup of George Jones' original song with James' classic record.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I might be alone, but I hold as high a disdain for artists like Chris Stapleton who stole the music from Etta James' "I'd Rather Go Blind" for his hit cover of "Tennessee Whiskey" which gives no attribution whatsoever to the older song. It's sad because it is a great mashup of George Jones' original song with James' classic record.

I don't know who Chris Stapleton is, but if he's stealing music and not paying an acknowledging the creators he should be punished.

Here's the song: