[REMOVE ADS]

A rare shout out to Mary and Florence by Diana 1974

Nice. I think she typically acknowledged Mary, Flo and Cindy until the 80s. I don’t know if she ever does now. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Nice. I think she typically acknowledged Mary, Flo and Cindy until the 80s. I don’t know if she ever does now. Anyone?
    It's possible. But since you don't see many of her full concerts online, who knows? But I'm sure she mentioned them in the '90s, '00s and now. I know she mentioned them during the BET Awards when she won her lifetime achievement award. I think so anyway?

It’s not in her standard patter anymore like it used to be for decades - occasionally she’ll mention them, but she almost never talks anymore period. She intros the band, says her goodbyes and other than that, not much us spoken unless she does Q&A. She shows plenty of pics and video of Mary and Flo in every show. Diana has almost always done a Supremes segment in her shows and several specials. I cannot recall her mentioning them by name when Dreamgirl was out, but she always did the music. That 80s medley had Itching in it which was nice.

I've seen Diana in the 90's, 00's, and 10's; every time she's always acknowledged the Supremes, but I don't recall her ever mentioning them by name.

The times I've seen her she acknowledges the group, but not individually. When I first saw her in 2010, I found it particularly interesting that during "Reflections," she had the video montage running of the group with some photos cropped to show just her and Mary. Cindy and Flo were cut out. I don't know if it was intentional, but I found it to be a symbolic meaning that there was no ill will between them. I thought it was touching.

I think she may have stopped mentioning the names when Dreamgirl came out, but I know she has said them since at least on occasion. I see both Diana and Mary several times a year every year so I can keep up with the banter. Ross rarely speaks anymore which is sad. Mary is great on the mic except I hate her Dreamgirl rant - it’s so cheesy to talk money in a show. Otherwise, her ability to work an audience is superb considering what she has to work with. VERY admirable. Martha also has become an adept entertainer but it took years. She had no game in the 60s to speak of - except her killer vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    The times I've seen her she acknowledges the group, but not individually. When I first saw her in 2010, I found it particularly interesting that during "Reflections," she had the video montage running of the group with some photos cropped to show just her and Mary. Cindy and Flo were cut out. I don't know if it was intentional, but I found it to be a symbolic meaning that there was no ill will between them. I thought it was touching.
    That IS interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I think she may have stopped mentioning the names when Dreamgirl came out, but I know she has said them since at least on occasion. I see both Diana and Mary several times a year every year so I can keep up with the banter. Ross rarely speaks anymore which is sad. Mary is great on the mic except I hate her Dreamgirl rant - it’s so cheesy to talk money in a show. Otherwise, her ability to work an audience is superb considering what she has to work with. VERY admirable. Martha also has become an adept entertainer but it took years. She had no game in the 60s to speak of - except her killer vocals.
    She rants about the Dreamgirl book? Hmm, but yeah she's a great performer too.

I saw Diana at the Rose Theater in 2017 and she mentioned Mary, Florence and Cindy and said she loved them very much. Rhonda also performed before and at the end. Its been a while since I seen Mary but, I can't remember how she mentioned it. It was either by group or name. I think she said something about what her part in the group was.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    She rants about the Dreamgirl book? Hmm, but yeah she's a great performer too.
    Not the book, but the play / movie, if I'm correct. Before she sings I AM CHANGING, she does some brief patter about how the movie is not the Supremes story because she didn't get paid or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Not the book, but the play / movie, if I'm correct. Before she sings I AM CHANGING, she does some brief patter about how the movie is not the Supremes story because she didn't get paid or something like that.
    Marys always saying she didnt get paid and Dreamgirls wasnt about the Supremes but she happily took the $7500 Extra paid her to hawk Dreamgirls movie on the red carpet back in 2006.

The strainge thing is the generation that saw the movie think its the real story of the Supremes.

Roberta

That, IMHO, is the low point of Mary’s career. It’s classless to squawk money in your act but even worse to work the red carpet for the film you are crabbing about. I’m always glad to see Mary on everything - loved her on Hollywood Squares, but that red carpet gig .... just made me sick. She should have negotiated a big check from Geffen to plug the movie or avoided it, but to sell yourself so cheap is like waitressing at a tribute dinner to Karen Ragland. Mary Wilson, founding member of a The Supremes should have been a VIP honored guest at the premiere - not a for-hire day worker.
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 06-30-2018 at 11:21 AM.

That, IMHO, is the low point of Mary’s career. It’s classless to squawk money in your act but even worse to work the red carpet for the film you are crabbing about. I’m always glad to see Mary on everything - loved her on Hollywood Squares, but that red carpet gig .... just made me sick. She should have negotiated a big check from Geffen to plug the movie or avoided it, but to sell yourself so cheap is like waitressing at a tribute dinner to Karen Ragland. Mary Wilson, founding member of a The Supremes should have been a VIP honored guest at the premiere - not a for-hire day worker.
    If you have seen Mary’s act, you’ll know that it’s all a joke. She’s seriously not complaining each show about not getting paid. It’s a part of the act.

It’s only “part of the act” because she says it in every show - yes, I’ve seen Mary over a hundred times, but attempts at humor are always rooted in fact and while she tosses it off like it’s a joke, it still comes across like a cheap dig - which is exactly what it is. The subject matter is too personally directed at the roots of Mary to not come across as sour grapes. Sorry to disagree with you, but I hate it and many people have commented on it to me. If it were a joke, she wouldn’t say in every show and every interview…… It’s not funny, there is a slight cleverness to it but no entertainment value per se…… So it’s not a joke. And, if it is not a joke, it is crabbing about money in her show. It’s a sore subject and it shows. It’s cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    If you have seen Mary’s act, you’ll know that it’s all a joke. She’s seriously not complaining each show about not getting paid. It’s a part of the act.
    Then she needs to drop it because its real tacky imo.

As I recall Mary typically mentions Flo and Diane but not Cindy. She may mention Jean if she does 70s song

It’s only “part of the act” because she says it in every show - yes, I’ve seen Mary over a hundred times, but attempts at humor are always rooted in fact and while she tosses it off like it’s a joke, it still comes across like a cheap dig - which is exactly what it is. The subject matter is too personally directed at the roots of Mary to not come across as sour grapes. Sorry to disagree with you, but I hate it and many people have commented on it to me. If it were a joke, she wouldn’t say in every show and every interview…… It’s not funny, there is a slight cleverness to it but no entertainment value per se…… So it’s not a joke. And, if it is not a joke, it is crabbing about money in her show. It’s a sore subject and it shows. It’s cheap.
    Maybe you should write Mary a letter and tell her to drop it. I’m sure she’d appreciate it. Maybe she’ll stop saying it if enough fans tell her.

Mary always mentions Flo and Diane, sometimes Cindy and Jean and Scherrie. RARELY Susaye and even more rare, Lynda. Personally, I don’t see the need to mention any of them unless she wants to - it’s not like she’s obligated or “supposed to” .....Mary has been a successful solo act for 41 years and has a lot to talk about. I’m fine if she does and fine if she doesn’t as long as she sings her ballads and blues, the rest is gravy. I don’t care if Diana mentions any Supremes either. In fact, she almost doesn’t speak.

I Hear a Symphony is a song I'd love to see her do in her concerts. It's such a classy song that showed the sophistication in her unique vocals. Love is Here, and Now You're Gone is my fav hit of the girls that I would love her to do. Also, The Happening.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Hmmm... interesting. But from what I gathered, it's part of her act, like when Patti sings a song that she first recorded saying "she did it first" lol
    Last edited by midnightman; 06-30-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koach View Post
    I Hear a Symphony is a song I'd love to see her do in her concerts. It's such a classy song that showed the sophistication in her unique vocals. Love is Here, and Now You're Gone is my fav hit of the girls that I would love her to do. Also, The Happening.
    I agree. That song was the first to show how far the Supremes could go without the usual pop and R&B song... it's like I'll Be There with the Jackson 5, it showed this was a group that had depth.
    Last edited by midnightman; 06-30-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Hmmm... interesting. But from what I gathered, it's part of her act, like when Patti sings a song that she first recorded saying "she did it first" lol
    Agreed. That's why I called it "brief patter."

And yes, like Mary, Patti has been doing that patter for years. I can't count how many times I've heard her preface IF YOU ASKED ME TO or LOVE, NEED, AND WANT YOU with "Don't get it twisted. I did it first."
    Last edited by reese; 07-01-2018 at 01:32 PM.