[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 93
  1. #1

    Who are the Marvelettes on the cover of IN FULL BLOOM - Tamla 288

    Does anyone know specifically the name of the 3 Marvelettes on the cover
    of IN FULL BLOOM, Tamla 288?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Ann Bogan, Wanda Rogers, Katherine Anderson (L to R).
    Last edited by lakeside; 06-24-2018 at 10:26 AM.

  3. #3
    In Full Bloom

  4. #4
    I bought that album on ebay a few months ago and really loved it. I followed up by buying 'Pink', 'Return' and 'Sophisticated'. I think 'Bloom' is my second favourite after 'Pink'. Most recently I've bought the book that was issued in 2004. I love the 2 tracks that Ann did. I've been into Motown for years but didn't know much about Marvelettes

  5. #5
    Katherine does look a little like Gladys in the top pic...from that right angle

  6. #6
    I love that cover photo,and i love the marvelettes too.

  7. #7
    Last night katherine schaffner was on stage eith a new trio of marvelettes @t the beacon and she sang lead on pls mr postman.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    Last night katherine schaffner was on stage eith a new trio of marvelettes @t the beacon and she sang lead on pls mr postman.
    Oh that must have been great! I didn't know they were coming to NYC.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Does anyone know specifically the name of the 3 Marvelettes on the cover
    of IN FULL BLOOM, Tamla 288?

    Thanks.
    I think Ann Bogan is in the middle because she forgot her wig during the photo session, so you have Wanda, Ann and Kat

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    I think Ann Bogan is in the middle because she forgot her wig during the photo session, so you have Wanda, Ann and Kat
    No that's wrong, Wanda is in the middle on the front cover of "In Full Bloom".

    Here is Wanda.

    Name:  wanda.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  26.1 KB

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    No that's wrong, Wanda is in the middle on the front cover of "In Full Bloom".



    Name:  wanda.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  26.1 KB
    Here is Wanda.

    Yes, that's correct. But, in the second pic, Ann is in the middle, if that's the pic
    that fulfilling was referring to.

  12. #12
    I always thought what was interesting about this cover is that the Marvelettes were dressed in contemporary casual outfits instead of gowns such as on their previously released album "Sophisticated Soul" and many other of the girl group albums from the period. I also think Ann, with her natural, lent a more up to date look to the group instead of the usual wigs such as worn by Wanda and Katherine.

    If you compare this to the other girl groups at Motown around the same time (1969-70), the Supremes (except for the "Love Child" cover) were still begowned as usual, as were the Vandellas on their recent "Sugar and Spice" album, though the Vandellas too donned contemporary outfits for "Natural Resources." This seemed a way to try and make the girl groups more modern in a sense though interestingly enough it seems the Supremes were kind of the last ones to get on board.

    But "Full Bloom" really is a great cover and really shows on the album how the Marvelettes had evolved over the years. To me, the album's mood doesn't vary enough from song to song, but the songs are well done and the arrangements are flawless.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Here is Wanda.

    Yes, that's correct. But, in the second pic, Ann is in the middle, if that's the pic
    that fulfilling was referring to.
    Woodward asked for "the name of the 3 Marvelettes on the cover of IN FULL BLOOM, Tamla 288" as you quoted. The second photo is a red herring as it doesn't appear on the cover of IFB - neither front nor back - beautiful though it is. Those were the days.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandakins View Post
    I bought that album on ebay a few months ago and really loved it. I followed up by buying 'Pink', 'Return' and 'Sophisticated'. I think 'Bloom' is my second favourite after 'Pink'. Most recently I've bought the book that was issued in 2004. I love the 2 tracks that Ann did. I've been into Motown for years but didn't know much about Marvelettes
    It's so fun to see new listeners comment on the Marvelettes and other groups that we love on the forum. It's interesting hearing the perspective from new listeners.

    If the Pink album is your favorite and "Full Bloom" your second favorite, then you should definitely invest in both of the "Forever" box sets. Although the Pink album really ushered in the second phase of the Marvelettes' career, with Wanda singing lead instead of Gladys, I think the song selection on this one (and even on "Sophisticated Soul") really represent earlier Motown, while "Full Bloom" and "Return" more reflect the direction the company was going in with its girl groups. To me, the Marvelettes went from a pretty traditional girl group sound (maybe the most traditional of all the Motown girls) to a very sophisticated and more integrated sound, still soulful but smoother and with more emphasis on orchestral type arrangements rather than aggressive vocals.

    As an example, 2 of their last few singles, "That's How Heartaches are Made" and "Marionette" have almost a cinematic quality to the arrangements. "Heartaches" has a beautiful reading by Wanda, and she truly sounds heartbroken. "Marionette" has that wonderful instrumentation such as that "ticky tacky" percussion during the chorus which so sounds like a puppet dancing. Just brilliant and beautiful use of the Detroit Symphony strings on these numbers.

    Please keep listening and tell us what other discoveries you find amongst these gems!
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-25-2018 at 05:37 PM.

  15. #15
    The Pink Album is probably my favorite Marvelettes album. I 'sort of' like the final LP...
    The Return of The Marvelettes...or more accurately, The Return of Wanda Rogers. In Full Bloom and Sophisticated Soul were up there, too. I was sad to see The Marvelettes end...but, at least we have some great music left 'Forever'.

  16. #16
    In Full Bloom is probably my favorite Motown album cover of all time. But I guess none of us knew, or at least I didn't, that they were on their way out at the time and that there would be no more hits. As for Pink and SS, I considered the music quality of those two to be pretty much even steven.

    One thing I will give Motown credit for.....in its heyday, they put out music as fast as they could possibly swing it, whereas today, you can be a top-selling artist, yet your fans are lucky to get an album every five years.

  17. #17
    the Pink album is a stellar set. great cover, perfect lineup of songs. and there are some with the actual Marvelettes doing the singing!

    i too like SS. another great set.

    Full Bloom is a bit less perfect IMO. it is quite good but i agree with an earlier comment that they might have adjusted the song list a bit. I love Ann's track but it's a bit out of place. sort of random. perhaps if she shared lead on another track or two and had another song like this it might have flowed a bit better

    isn't the back cover art simply a black and white printing of the front color pic? that's not usually a good sign. going for the cheap with an album graphic doesn't bode well for it's promotional budget.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    isn't the back cover art simply a black and white printing of the front color pic? that's not usually a good sign. going for the cheap with an album graphic doesn't bode well for it's promotional budget.
    That was more or less common practice at Motown and other record companies for quite a few years. A black and white graphic on the rear cover. So I don't think it had to do with trying to be cheap with that album. If anything, that was one of Motown's most striking album covers I've ever seen. I actually like that black and white monochrome effect with that photo. It's somewhat striking and dramatic IMHO.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    One thing I will give Motown credit for.....in its heyday, they put out music as fast as they could possibly swing it, whereas today, you can be a top-selling artist, yet your fans are lucky to get an album every five years.
    And what's more, even when Motown was putting out albums as fast as they could, for the most part, they were of high caliber material. This "Full Bloom" album was a major surprise to me when I got it because all I had been reading for years was how Motown stashed the group on the back burner. First, seeing the cover, I thought it was astonishingly beautiful and then, listening to the music, I thought in no way did it sound like "factory-seconds". Motown may not have been pushing the group to the fullest, but they certainly were good at giving them quality material and releases.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    And what's more, even when Motown was putting out albums as fast as they could, for the most part, they were of high caliber material. This "Full Bloom" album was a major surprise to me when I got it because all I had been reading for years was how Motown stashed the group on the back burner. First, seeing the cover, I thought it was astonishingly beautiful and then, listening to the music, I thought in no way did it sound like "factory-seconds". Motown may not have been pushing the group to the fullest, but they certainly were good at giving them quality material and releases.
    I couldn't agree more, WaitingWatching. The Marvelettes last five albums ("Greatest Hits," "The Pink Album", "Sophisticated Soul", "In Full Boom", and "Return of") are not only my favorite Marvelettes albums, they're among my all-time favorite Motown albums in general. Motown provided the ladies with top-notch material as well as top-notch production. Getting each of their new albums as they were released was a real thrill for me. Musically speaking, Motown did right by The Marvelettes all the way.

  21. #21
    The 'In Full Bloom' album was released in September 1969.


    Just as an overview - and with thanks to DFTMC - the completion date for each track is:


    Seeing Is Believing - March 7 1969
    Sunshine Days - March 12 1969
    That's How Heartaches Are Made - May 3 1969
    The Truth's Outside My Door - April 23 1969
    I Have Someone (Who Loves Me Too) - April 24 1968
    Uptown - November 22 1968


    At Last I See Love As It Really Is - June 28 1967
    Now Is The Time For Love - August 22 1967
    Too Many Tears, Too Many Times - September 29 1965
    Rainy Mourning - November 4 1966
    Everybody Knows (But You) - January 11 1969
    Love Silent, Love Deep - August 22 1967

  22. #22
    In Full Bloom is a great late 60's Album. It really shows haw the group blossomed into full grown women.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolKatz View Post
    In Full Bloom is a great late 60's Album. It really shows haw the group blossomed into full grown women.
    I think so too, itīs a Motown masterpiece. I think we can see the development from the Pink album, Sophisticated Soul and finally In Full Bloom.

    I say it again and again and itīs sad too, but I think if Ann Bogan would become the new lead singer of the group, maybe there was an realistic way into the 70īs

  24. #24
    Many thanks to Lakeside for identifying the three of the Marvelettes on the front cover. It is strange, but I've never managed to learn who was a member of the Marvelettes, when, and who sang lead on any of their records (singles or LP).

    I've always thought that they were such a massively underrated group, and I remember having bought this LP (long, long after it had been issued), I was taken with some of the tracks (in particular "seeing is believing", the incredible "that's how heartaches are made"). Of course I didn't realise at the time, that in the UK, we'd never have another 'new' Marvelettes LP issued ("The Return Of The Marvelettes" was never issued here).

    As Lakeside (and others) are knowledgeable about the group, are you able to indicate who sang lead on which track?

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by gordy_hunk View Post
    Many thanks to Lakeside for identifying the three of the Marvelettes on the front cover. It is strange, but I've never managed to learn who was a member of the Marvelettes, when, and who sang lead on any of their records (singles or LP).



    I've always thought that they were such a massively underrated group, and I remember having bought this LP (long, long after it had been issued), I was taken with some of the tracks (in particular "seeing is believing", the incredible "that's how heartaches are made"). Of course I didn't realise at the time, that in the UK, we'd never have another 'new' Marvelettes LP issued ("The Return Of The Marvelettes" was never issued here).

    As Lakeside (and others) are knowledgeable about the group, are you able to indicate who sang lead on which track?
    On the In Full Bloom album, Wanda sang lead on all except "Everybody Knows But You"which was lead by Ann

  26. #26
    Yes, Wanda is leading, and with The Andantes on most tracks, with Ann and The Andantes on 'Everybody Knows (But You)'.

    Difficult to be absolutely sure on all details, and others may have differing views, but the exceptions with the background voices would seem to be on the following tracks:

    'Uptown' - The Andantes take the high background harmonies. The lower notes, sung in unison, would usually have been all The Marvelettes. While it does sound like Wanda, Gladys and Katherine here, Gladys reportedly left the group approximately a year before 'Uptown' was completed. It could be Wanda and Katherine, maybe with an additional singer - or maybe other session singers altogether.

    'At Last I See Love As It Really Is' - The Andantes are the high harmony voices, and The Marvelettes are singing in unison on the chorus, mixed low under The Andantes' voices.

    'Now Is The Time For Love' - same as the above track, with Marvelettes and Andantes voices blended.

    'Rainy Mourning' - Wanda on lead, and also on background vocals, with Gladys and Katherine. No Andantes on this track.

    'Love Silent, Love Deep' - The Marvelettes background vocals are again mixed down under The Andantes, although far more prominent on

    "....he loves me silent
    he loves me deep
    he makes me strong
    yeah, he makes me sweet
    we walk together, hand in hand..."
    (then The Andantes, only : 'though we don't speak, we understand')

  27. #27
    The Marvelettes in Hull...
    Name:  Poppies2a.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  77.3 KB

  28. #28
    What a great picture! Thanks JSmith

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    What a great picture! Thanks JSmith
    Yes thatīs true, fantastic picture of the group.

    Maybe someone knows who sang on all Ann Bogan tracks:

    Everybody knows - Ann Bogan and The Andantes
    Iīm gonna hold on long as I can - here it could be Ann Bogan with The Marvelettes and The Andantes, could it be right ?
    Breakinī through - Ann Bogan with.....
    Why donīt you do it - Ann Bogan with...

    It would be great can somebody comploeted !

    Thanks a lot

  30. #30
    Hi Fullfillingnessfirstfinale (your member name's even longer than mine lol)


    After Gladys Horton left The Marvelettes, it seems session singers were then always used for background work, instead of any Marvelettes.

    'I'm Gonna Hold Long As I Can' (originally assigned to Brenda Holloway) was recorded after Gladys had left, so would be Ann and session singers, and who certainly sound like The Andantes.

    Same with 'Breakthru (I've Got My Freedom)', which was originally assigned to Gladys Knight & The Pips. Session singers sound like The Andantes, but could possibly include Ann herself?

    'Why'd You Do It' (also first assigned to GK&P) : session singers don't sound like The Andantes at all, but could still include Ann?

  31. #31
    Thank you very much Westgrandboulevard for that information. It seems to me that Ann sings only with the Marvelettes together as a backround singer. Maybe the group members werenīt not agreed that Ann took over lead vocals or was it a coincidence ?

  32. #32
    FFF....It could well be that Wanda, and especially Katherine, were actually in agreement for Ann to sing some lead vocals?

    Wanda had shared leads with Gladys before, and Katherine had never sung leads. It would have been to their benefit, if they were still interested in keeping the group going?

    I'm only just guessing Ann did some background work. Far more likely her voice was simply dubbed onto a band track as a lead, followed by extra instrumentation and then the background voices, using other session singers (like The Andantes), were added later.

    By the time Ann was being featured as a Marvelette, it seems the group was being promoted more in recordings than in live appearances. Many of the tracks being released had been recorded quite some time earlier, and not all of them featured any Marvelettes as background voices.

    I don't think there were many bookings at that time, and Ann's talents were used just for recording some leads, and for promotional pics, in an attempt to revitalise the group?

    And was Ann ever asked to participate on the tracks used for the 'Return of The Marvelettes' album, I wonder? Probably not, and neither, I think, was Katherine..as she did not want to be featured on the cover....

  33. #33
    No, Wanda, Kat & Ann did LIVE shows. Ann did lead on the prior Gladys leads. They also did some LIVE shows in Germany at US bases. Harvey Fuqua is who brought Ann to Kat & Wandas' attention to replace Gladys.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    The Marvelettes in Hull...
    Name:  Poppies2a.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  77.3 KB
    In Hull? With that sunshine and blue sky? ��

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post

    And was Ann ever asked to participate on the tracks used for the 'Return of The Marvelettes' album, I wonder? Probably not, and neither, I think, was Katherine..as she did not want to be featured on the cover....
    According to Katherine (I believe in an interview for Marc Taylor's book), it was actually the reverse. She refused to do the cover because she'd had nothing to do with the music on the album. This would also make more sense, especially if you consider that it started out as a Wanda Rogers solo project and then morphed into a Marvelettes album at the 11th hour. Thinking that way, they likely wouldn't have anticipated needing Katherine's (or Ann's) involvement until it was decided it should be marketed as a Marvelettes record which was likely late in the process.

  36. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    According to Katherine (I believe in an interview for Marc Taylor's book), it was actually the reverse. She refused to do the cover because she'd had nothing to do with the music on the album. This would also make more sense, especially if you consider that it started out as a Wanda Rogers solo project and then morphed into a Marvelettes album at the 11th hour. Thinking that way, they likely wouldn't have anticipated needing Katherine's (or Ann's) involvement until it was decided it should be marketed as a Marvelettes record which was likely late in the process.
    That's true, Kenny. Katherine considered it a slap in the face that Motown couldn't be bothered with her vocally for the recording of the album, yet had the nerve to request her for a photo session after the fact when they were suddenly in a bind. Can't say I blame her, although, musically speaking, I'm glad they utilized The Andantes for backing vocals.

  37. #37
    although they used "Uptown" on the "Return..."LP that had been on In Full Bloom which was the Marvelettes on the recording. When I saw Wanda, Gladys & Kat LIVE in 1966, they were GREAT and there were no Andantes "in the wings" so to speak. They had full command of the stage both vocally & physically.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    although they used "Uptown" on the "Return..."LP that had been on In Full Bloom which was the Marvelettes on the recording. When I saw Wanda, Gladys & Kat LIVE in 1966, they were GREAT and there were no Andantes "in the wings" so to speak. They had full command of the stage both vocally & physically.
    I really love the backing vocals of the Marvelettes over the Andantes who to me were just too good and too smooth for my liking (sometimes a bit "syrupy" sounding IMHO). On "Uptown," for example, the backing vocals are less polished sounding but they have a sense of urgency, especially in the chorus "call and response" section, which to me is usually lacking in the Andantes' background.

    But I know the Andantes have their fans such as my buddy Gary a few comments up. Obviously, vocally they were flawless. I just think they lacked "identity," which I guess was the point after all.

    How I wish, wish, wish we had a live recording of the latter day Marvelettes. I was so disappointed when Keith Hughes said there was nothing in the vault representing any live Marvelettes. It seems incredible that all those years they were touring, that no one ever thought there'd be any value in preserving a few of those performances.

  39. #39
    Kenneth, I think you misinterpreted what I said but, yes, it is certainly true that Katherine's decision not to be involved in the photo shoot for the cover was a direct consequence of her non-involvement with the 'Return' album.

    "..if I wasn't good enough to sing background on some of the songs, then I'm not good enough to do a photo shoot".

    That, and other comments in Marc Taylor's book presents a rather bleak account of the latter stages in the career of The Marvelettes.

    Unless there were some contractual obligations to be fulfilled, it seems odd that Motown would release an album titled 'The Return Of The Marvelettes', with Wanda as the sole lead voice, considering she was reported to have become unreliable for stage performances and so, presumably, would be unlikely to promote it.

    And yes again....it is a great shame there are not more of their live or TV performances available....
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-05-2018 at 04:02 PM.

  40. #40
    @westgrandbolevard, sorry if I read your post wrong my friend.

  41. #41
    No problem Kenneth, we're in agreement....

    btw...can anyone pinpoint the differences between the alternate mixes on 'Return' of 'That's How Heartaches Are Made', and 'Uptown', and those originally released on the 'In Full Bloom' album- ?

    I can usually immediately hear the difference in an 'alternate version'...but not those two.....

  42. #42
    yes, Kat had alluded to the fact that they(Motown) had been sued due to bookings that could not go through because of Wandas' problems.I know they had a lot of bookings at colleges & military bases in '67 & '68.

  43. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    No problem Kenneth, we're in agreement....

    btw...can anyone pinpoint the differences between the alternate mixes on 'Return' of 'That's How Heartaches Are Made', and 'Uptown', and those originally released on the 'In Full Bloom' album- ?

    I can usually immediately hear the difference in an 'alternate version'...but not those two.....
    I don't hear much difference in "Uptown," but on "Heartaches" the instrumental break using the synthesizer or whatever instrument it is is much more prominent in the mix on the "Return" version, I believe. When the 2nd box set was launched, I had assumed that those two tracks wouldn't be repeated on the set but Keith Hughes or someone else with Hip-O at the time said they felt the different mixes should both be included.

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post

    But I know the Andantes have their fans such as my buddy Gary a few comments up. Obviously, vocally they were flawless. I just think they lacked "identity," which I guess was the point after all.

    How I wish, wish, wish we had a live recording of the latter day Marvelettes. I was so disappointed when Keith Hughes said there was nothing in the vault representing any live Marvelettes. It seems incredible that all those years they were touring, that no one ever thought there'd be any value in preserving a few of those performances.
    The Andantes' harmonies "lacked identity", you say? Heck, Kenny, I can identify the unique and heavenly blend of Louvain, Jackie, and Marlene within a few glorious notes! They were an integral ingredient of "The Motown Sound".

  45. #45
    OK Kenneth, will locate the box set and listen.

    I remember asking on here some years ago what is being used on 'Heartaches' instrumental break, and I think it was decided that it is an electric guitar, with a wah-wah pedal.

    Philles/Motown Gary.....yes, The Andantes had a heavenly sound, and were essential Motown...but the vocal tones of those Marvelettes were just plain, flat out lusty.....I love both groups of ladies...
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-05-2018 at 04:53 PM.

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    OK Kenneth, will locate the box set and listen.

    I remember asking on here some years ago what is being used on 'Heartaches' instrumental break, and I think it was decided that it is an electric guitar, with a wah-wah pedal.

    Philles/Motown Gary.....yes, The Andantes had a heavenly sound, and were essential Motown...but the vocal tones of those Marvelettes were just plain, flat out lusty.....I love both groups of ladies...
    It certainly could be a guitar. I asked Dennis Coffey once on this forum if he played on the "Return" album because I thought some of the guitar licks bore his signature, but he couldn't remember. He was probably so busy back then. I imagine many times they played on songs and had no idea who'd ultimately be laying down the vocals for the tracks.
    Last edited by kenneth; 07-05-2018 at 08:12 PM.

  47. Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    The Andantes' harmonies "lacked identity", you say? Heck, Kenny, I can identify the unique and heavenly blend of Louvain, Jackie, and Marlene within a few glorious notes! They were an integral ingredient of "The Motown Sound".
    I love the Andantes too, but it does get to be very disappointing to not hear the identity of the actual groups on their own records. Yes, they have a Heavenly sound, but when it gets to the point that every group at Motown had the exact same sound going on...

    Maybe there are two types of fans- (A) ones who like and enjoy an authentic group performance, the kind the gives the group a defining identity; and (B) those who don't worry about who is doing the background, but just enjoy a song as long as everything melds together flawlessly.

    I think record companies in general got used to going for the overall sound, feeling the general public didn't care one way or the other who was actually on a record. Phil Spector certainly didn't care if the other Ronettes or Crystals were on a record or not. In fact, he regularly used a battalion of other voices on his records. Only the lead singer mattered.

    If anything, I like the recordings that, if they used the Andantes, it was in addition to the Marvelettes' voices. I think Dean and Weatherspoon were good in that regard for the most part. "Young And In Love" is the best example of that approach.

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I love the Andantes too, but it does get to be very disappointing to not hear the identity of the actual groups on their own records. Yes, they have a Heavenly sound, but when it gets to the point that every group at Motown had the exact same sound going on...

    Maybe there are two types of fans- (A) ones who like and enjoy an authentic group performance, the kind the gives the group a defining identity; and (B) those who don't worry about who is doing the background, but just enjoy a song as long as everything melds together flawlessly.

    I think record companies in general got used to going for the overall sound, feeling the general public didn't care one way or the other who was actually on a record. Phil Spector certainly didn't care if the other Ronettes or Crystals were on a record or not. In fact, he regularly used a battalion of other voices on his records. Only the lead singer mattered.

    If anything, I like the recordings that, if they used the Andantes, it was in addition to the Marvelettes' voices. I think Dean and Weatherspoon were good in that regard for the most part. "Young And In Love" is the best example of that approach.
    You've got a good point there, WaitingWatching. On records like "When You're Young And In Love" (which, BTW, is one my favorite Marvelettes recordings), you definitely get the best of both worlds -- The Marvelettes AND The Andantes!

  49. #49
    'Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit' is, for me, another beautiful blend of The Marvelettes and The Andantes, creating a layered, chorale effect where everyone has a valid presence on the recording.

    IMO, just in an artistic sense, The Andantes were present to discreetly enhance The Marvelettes sound, not to completely replace them on all recordings. It's quite reasonable to add them to the original voices, when in the business of making records. But then, it always had to be about 'business' and availability of singers, which is understood.

    The only track where I feel The Andantes simply were not needed was 'Anything You Wanna Do'....way too prominent, to the point of being really annoying... (but just love that sax....)
    Last edited by westgrandboulevard; 07-06-2018 at 04:50 AM.

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by westgrandboulevard View Post
    Hi Fullfillingnessfirstfinale (your member name's even longer than mine lol)


    After Gladys Horton left The Marvelettes, it seems session singers were then always used for background work, instead of any Marvelettes.

    'I'm Gonna Hold Long As I Can' (originally assigned to Brenda Holloway) was recorded after Gladys had left, so would be Ann and session singers, and who certainly sound like The Andantes.

    Same with 'Breakthru (I've Got My Freedom)', which was originally assigned to Gladys Knight & The Pips. Session singers sound like The Andantes, but could possibly include Ann herself?

    'Why'd You Do It' (also first assigned to GK&P) : session singers don't sound like The Andantes at all, but could still include Ann?

    I'm pretty sure I hear Wanda and possibly Kat on "Breakthrough". I also hear some additional vocals blending it together

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.