[REMOVE ADS]

Why The Shameful Lack Of Interest in Valerie Simpson?

One-of-a-kind songwriter; great singer; half of a classic soul music duo - and, ... nuthin'

No lack of interest here! Valerie’s first two solo albums are indispensable. It was like the love child of Aretha and Joni had arrived. And of course her work with Nick is one of the great joys of my life. It is a shame that she’s not regarded more highly as a stone singer and pianist.

Just ask how many songs she sang as “Tammi Terrell” and watch the thread light up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    One-of-a-kind songwriter; great singer; half of a classic soul music duo - and, ... nuthin'
    I love Val as a singer, songwriter and producer. She prefers to stay out of the limelight and never desired to be a superstar. She has got the ultimate respect of her peers and music buffs alike. When i met her i found her to be funnier and more outgoing than i would have imagined. She has a great sense of humour and was very warm and knowledgeable. A great lady for sure.

Valerie Simpson is nothing short of a genius. Her songwriting and productions for Motown are as fantastic as they are complex and she could match the Funks as a musician. Would be great to see her Motown duet album with Nik see the light of day. I suspect there's also more solo tracks in the vaults [[especially demo vocals).

I don't know if it's lack of interest or if she is just a private person? Otherwise, her status as a Motown legend and legend in general is already secured.

I love valerie,one of the coolest motown songs ever is her[1971]gem-silly wasn't i.

I wish Valerie would produce Diana Ross' next album. The best album by Diana was the Boss and her 1st solo produced by them

I love Valerie Simpson! Such a great singer, songwriter and producer. I am currently in the middle of getting into all of Ashford & Simpson's 70s/80s albums... enjoying it thoroughly.

Tom...I love love love Gimme Something Real!

Name:  E60B22A3-D2C9-4C81-B835-4AD3D9315BC7.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  14.6 KB

A must have!!!

I'm happy to see these enthusiastic mentions of Val, a major figure in American popular music and African-American arts and culture. The lady is one of a kind and one of the best, naturalistic performers ever.

I'm happy to see these enthusiastic mentions of Val, a major figure in American popular music and African-American arts and culture. The lady is one of a kind and one of the best, naturalistic performers ever.
    Let me say that Valerie Simpson is NOT UNSUNG but I would love to see an Unsung episode of she and Nick because they have a terrific backstory not to mention all of the great artist they worked with.

My current Ashford & Simpson jam:

People like who they like. People are interested in who they are interested in.
    There is nothing shameful about this.

Valerie Simpson. hmm, where could I begin?
    In 1970 as a son of Philadelphia, not having the musical taste that I would develop in time, hearing the Quincy LP Gula Matari. I heard this voice explode out of the speakers doing a cover of Bridge Over Troubled Water, a true WTH moment, which I believe preceded the 2 solo albums on Tamala, who knew that she could sing, or more importantly, sing like that. One of the underated voices of our time!

A friend when telling me what he did on the previous weekend, mentioning that at a party on a Saturday night in New York City in the early 70's, Valerie Simpson made him a drink. I cannot think of many music superstars being that down to earth in relating to a then stranger, as a fellow human being in a public space like that." I am just like you, only the co-writer of some songs that will stand the test of time", is what I took from hearing of this.

My then 12 year old daughter, at the Nick and Val owned Sugar Bar in New York City, wanting to sing "I Am Changing" from Dreamgirls on open mike Thursday and the pianist not sure of the changes. To the rescue comes The Valerie Simpson, who comes up and plays piano for this unknown with the rest of the band. When I look at the video of Valerie supporting and musically spuring on my child to heights I am not sure she knew she had in her, it still sends chills up my aging spine.

And lastly, while in New York City just for the heck of it recently, finding the White Rock Baptist Church and taking pictures of it. While doing so, I imagined a young Valerie Simpson being in the choir with her friends and opening up her heart to this stranger Nick Ashford, probably against the advice of her girlfriends, and as a parent, probably against their wishes as well to this stranger. Thank goodness she did, and because she did, look at all that transpired because she did.

Tomato Tom, please do not forget the Dynamic Superiors two Ashford and Simpson produced LP's from I believe1974-75. Some of the most creative music they have ever written, which is saying a lot, played and performed to near perfection by Valerie on Piano.
    Mystery Singer, among the things I would like to see in my lifetime, The Philadelphia Eagles win the Super Bowl. Check.
    World Peace. Still a work in progress. The Nick and Val solo LP on Motown. Never say never.

Valerie Simpson, I Love You To Pieces!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post
    In 1970 as a son of Philadelphia, not having the musical taste that I would develop in time, hearing the Quincy LP Gula Matari. I heard this voice explode out of the speakers doing a cover of Bridge Over Troubled Water, a true WTH moment, which I believe preceded the 2 solo albums on Tamala, who knew that she could sing, or more importantly, sing like that. One of the underated voices of our time!

A friend when telling me what he did on the previous weekend, mentioning that at a party on a Saturday night in New York City in the early 70's, Valerie Simpson made him a drink. I cannot think of many music superstars being that down to earth in relating to a then stranger, as a fellow human being in a public space like that." I am just like you, only the co-writer of some songs that will stand the test of time", is what I took from hearing of this.

My then 12 year old daughter, at the Nick and Val owned Sugar Bar in New York City, wanting to sing "I Am Changing" from Dreamgirls on open mike Thursday and the pianist not sure of the changes. To the rescue comes The Valerie Simpson, who comes up and plays piano for this unknown with the rest of the band. When I look at the video of Valerie supporting and musically spuring on my child to heights I am not sure she knew she had in her, it still sends chills up my aging spine.

And lastly, while in New York City just for the heck of it recently, finding the White Rock Baptist Church and taking pictures of it. While doing so, I imagined a young Valerie Simpson being in the choir with her friends and opening up her heart to this stranger Nick Ashford, probably against the advice of her girlfriends, and as a parent, probably against their wishes as well to this stranger. Thank goodness she did, and because she did, look at all that transpired because she did.

Tomato Tom, please do not forget the Dynamic Superiors two Ashford and Simpson produced LP's from I believe1974-75. Some of the most creative music they have ever written, which is saying a lot, played and performed to near perfection by Valerie on Piano.
    Mystery Singer, among the things I would like to see in my lifetime, The Philadelphia Eagles win the Super Bowl. Check.
    World Peace. Still a work in progress. The Nick and Val solo LP on Motown. Never say never.

Wonderful post. And don't forget A&S on Ellis Hazlip's 'Soul!'

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    My current Ashford & Simpson jam:

That's a good one! A&S were one of the chosen few who could perform disco with soul to spare! So glad you are liking Valerie, Mr. Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Motown4Ever518 View Post

Great post Motown4Ever, and yes I must not forget those Dynamic Superiors albums!! I nearly did

That's a good one! A&S were one of the chosen few who could perform disco with soul to spare! So glad you are liking Valerie, Mr. Tom!
    PNH I totally agree! Soulful disco indeed. Of course Stay Free also contains their classic "Found A Cure", which I also love!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    PNH I totally agree! Soulful disco indeed. Of course Stay Free also contains their classic "Found A Cure"
    Tom, and can't forget that it also contains my favorite track -- "Nobody Knows"!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Tom, and can't forget that it also contains my favorite track -- "Nobody Knows"!
    I won't Gary!!! I'll give it a listen right now.

Just picked a random album track to listen to

wonderful