[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops Program Repertoire from Steel Pier Book - Atlantic City - 1967

I recently obtained from a friend an excellent program book that was available during a Four Tops performance in summer 1967 at the Atlantic City Steel Pier. The book includes a "Program Repertoire." The listing shows --

Medley: I Can't Help Myself; It's the Same Old Song; Bernadette; Baby, I Need Your Loving; 7 Rooms of Gloom; Loving You Is Sweeter Than Ever; and Something About You

Reach Out I'll Be There
    Standing In The Shadows of Love
    Bluesette
    Michelle
    Quiet Nights
    The Look of Love
    Up, Up, and Away

Medley [[Academy Aware Nominees): Alfie, Georgy Girl, Born Free, Impossible Dream

The Girl From Ipanema
    If I Had a Hammer
    Stranger on the Shore
    It's Not Unusual
    Climb Every Mountain
    Last Train to Clarksville

What a concert. I wish I had been in attendance. Was anyone else ever at the Steel Pier to see any Motown artists?

This program includes tons of pictures and discographies. A letter is included from the Program Director of KILT-KOST FM in Houston. It is
    interesting to read the following abstraction from the letter:

". . . These guys are far and away the greatest on stage performers we have ever had on our stage. The show we had Sunday [letter written 2/16/66] broke every existing record for a Coliseum show. It even topped the Beatles Show. Our coliseum will seat 11,962 people . We somehow jammed 13,000 in for the afternoon show and 12,000 for the night show. We would have put in more but the Fire Marshall was ready to stop the show. We turned around 2500 away from this show. . . ."

I also obtained a comparable booklet for the Supremes.

Does anyone know if there was a booklet produced for any Marvelettes performances in the early 1960's?

This is quite an accomplishment for the fabulous Four Tops.

This looks like the same song line-up that I have in a Four Tops program that was given to me by an older cousin. I suppose it might be the same one. Among other photos, there is one of the guys on stage at the Roostertail with Marvin Gaye, the Supremes, and the Everly Brothers, as well as another photo with the late Brian Epstein.

When I was given the program, I noticed that the publishers of it, Raydell, were the same group that did the program for Diana Ross' 1977 tour. So I thought maybe Motown used them for such things. I wrote Raydell and they sent me a list of programs that they still had for sale. I don't recall the Marvelettes being on the list, but they might have been. I didn't end up ordering anything, but I do recall writing Raydell again and they actually sent me a replacement copy of Diana's 1977 program for free!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    This looks like the same song line-up that I have in a Four Tops program that was given to me by an older cousin. I suppose it might be the same one. Among other photos, there is one of the guys on stage at the Roostertail with Marvin Gaye, the Supremes, and the Everly Brothers, as well as another photo with the late Brian Epstein.

When I was given the program, I noticed that the publishers of it, Raydell, were the same group that did the program for Diana Ross' 1977 tour. So I thought maybe Motown used them for such things. I wrote Raydell and they sent me a list of programs that they still had for sale. I don't recall the Marvelettes being on the list, but they might have been. I didn't end up ordering anything, but I do recall writing Raydell again and they actually sent me a replacement copy of Diana's 1977 program for free!
    Thanks. It is the same identical book on the Four Tops. You described it to a T. I do have a comparable book as I said on the Supremes. Maybe, just maybe, I might put a posting on the new sub-forum if I get the courage.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Thanks. It is the same identical book on the Four Tops. You described it to a T. I do have a comparable book as I said on the Supremes. Maybe, just maybe, I might put a posting on the new sub-forum if I get the courage.
    I've tried looking on eBay for similar programs for the Vandellas and the Marvelettes, with no luck. I was able to find and buy some for the Supremes, the Pips, and the Miracles.

Wow, now that is what I call a great set list! I am sure they were able to carry off each and every number!

Wow they performed Loving You Is Sweeter than ever live? Why weren't these things recorded. We've got nothing to show for it. Get my hopes up for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Wow they performed Loving You Is Sweeter than ever live? Why weren't these things recorded. We've got nothing to show for it. Get my hopes up for nothing.
    I am sure someone, somewhere recorded it, but chances are well never get to hear it. Sucks. LOL!

What a great find! And the comments from the program director is great source for how popular the Tops were. The Supremes and Temptations were taking the world by storm in the 60s, but I've always felt the Tops sometimes get a little lost in the shuffle between the two group's extreme popularity. The program director's comments are proof positive that to the public, the Tops could hang with the best of them.

I am disappointed to see that most of the hits were squeezed into an opening medley, while all those other songs got full treatments. But the Tops were equally great with the Motown stuff and the others so it still doesn't surprise me that they put on a great show.

I have some stuff related to Atlantic City Steel Pier & the shows there. I can post a few up here if there's any interest.

The Four Tops were very popular in the UK, particularly after "Reach out I'll be there" hit in 1966. The Beatles manager helped promote successful tours , famously putting on concerts at the Royal Albert Hall.
    By contrast, The Temptations were relatively unknown..,only a few small chart placings. I doubt that any promoter could take a chance on a UK tour because of a lack of UK interest and probably covering the Temptations fees, which would have been quite high in the USA. Possibly a few London theatres but not the UK provinces.
    I don't think they toured the UK until 1971

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    I have some stuff related to Atlantic City Steel Pier & the shows there. I can post a few up here if there's any interest.
    JSmith, would you please? I am very interested in seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    The Four Tops were very popular in the UK, particularly after "Reach out I'll be there" hit in 1966. The Beatles manager helped promote successful tours , famously putting on concerts at the Royal Albert Hall.
    By contrast, The Temptations were relatively unknown..,only a few small chart placings. I doubt that any promoter could take a chance on a UK tour because of a lack of UK interest and probably covering the Temptations fees, which would have been quite high in the USA. Possibly a few London theatres but not the UK provinces.
    I don't think they toured the UK until 1971
    That is interesting. I saw a picture of the Temptations with the Archbishop of Canterbury while on their early 70s tour there.

Yes I remember that.
    Eddie Kendricks refused to appear for a while. I think that they did a four man show on some gigs.

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Oh there's nothing but interest. I'd love to see what goodies you have. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtopsbiggestfan View Post
    Oh there's nothing but interest. I'd love to see what goodies you have. Thank you.

I, too, would be interested in seeing what you have. Anything on the Marvelettes - or is that like looking for a needle in a haystack? Did they
    ever appear at the Steel Pier in A/C?