[REMOVE ADS]

Dance With The Contours – Unissued Motown Recordings 1963/1964

I was just checking out Dusty Groove and saw the above in the "coming soon" section. The site says they will have it in late March.

Does anyone know about this or have any info about this release?

Thanks.

Lou

You were reading my thoughts...... *smile*

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dance-Contou...7461553&sr=1-1

The Contours' "See Saw" is on it....the original of the Tom & Jerrio song.

Great minds think alike. I'm intrigued by this release...wonder if there are any more surprises for us.

I think the biggest surprise has to be that it is being released!

If it has the ACE care and attention that the Satintones got, I am sure it will be great.

Will this album plus the UK Essential collection cover all of The Contours' Motown material?

Thanks.

Eamonn

honest man Guest
    Rob , no i think it goes up to 65, the tracklist was posted weeks ago, should still be on here, i think mostly novelty style songs pa i need a car etc, but still great to see it is happening,would love some later stuff feat Dennis Edwards etc. i will be buying-supporting release ,regardless. cheers.

see other thread...ALL the details are on there

Eamonn

- not everything - there are still a couple of tracks from the original 'Do You Love Me' album [Claudia and the Old Miner, IIRC], which I don't think have ever seen the light on any cd. I think there may also be a 'b' side or two which you'll only find on TCMS.

The original DO YOU LOVE ME lp has been released on cd in France in 1995 as part of the Lucky Sounds series, cat 530 451-2

;-)

JB

JB

is that the same cd which is listed on some websites [[currently listed on cd universe & amazon, tho' listed as 'not in stock')? - because that seems to be a 10 track cd showing the original album front cover, but with a track listing which includes hits not on the original album [[purse/misunderstanding/jerk/do it), whilst omitting the aforementioned 'claudia' and 'the old miner', as well as some of the other original tracks like 'the stretch'.

The Lucky Sounds CD included only the tracks that appeared on the original vinyl version of "Do You Love Me".

Do You Love Me
    Shake Sherrie
    You Better Get In Line
    The Stretch
    It Must Be Love
    Whole Lotta Woman
    Claudia
    So Grateful
    The Old Miner
    Funny
    Move Mr. Man

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  21.1 KB
    I think they'd get a lot better sales by packaging 1966-68 Dennis Edwards/Joe Stubbs lead cuts [[also with Dennis Edwards solos)- than with '64-65 Billy Gordon lead novelty material. Just my 2¢.

I have the lucky sounds CD... Great sound quality...But cannot wait to get this new one.....Paulo xxx

Robb, Joe only led one song which was "Misunderstanding" then he left the group & Dennis only led on a couple of songs[[Its So Hard Being a Loser-Baby Hit & Run), then he went with the Temps in 1966.

For_ur_info

So are the Contours on those two Dennis Edwards led songs? I believe that Billy Gordon also recorded the lead on Baby Hit And Run

Would it be fair to say that any other Dennis Edwards tracks that are listed as by the Contours, are really solo Dennis Edwards tracks.

RossHolloway Guest
    for_ur_info. Didn't Dennis join the Temps in '68? When exactly did the Contours stop recording/touring in the 60's? And do we know the exact dates Edwards was officially a Contour?

Is it not Joe on Determination too? And John, that Billy Gordon-led Baby Hit And Run was on one of the Cellarfuls.

Soulwally

Shhh! *smile*

theboyfromxtown:

I know that on Baby Hit & Run, Billy Gordon was not in the group, and on, Its So Hard Being A Loser, my understanding is The Contours didn't show up so The Originals did the back ground.! As far as him really singing solo on some tracks listed as Contours, can't say! Billy Gordon never did lead on Baby Hit & Run!

soulwally: That is Joe Stubbs on Determination!

I'm sure there are 2 versions of "Baby Hit and Run"....one by Billy Gordon. It's on ACFOM CD

for_ur_info

If Billy Gordon never did the lead for Baby Hit and Run....then who else might have recorded a lead for the group in late 1965?

Check these two versions from the Contours on Baby Hit And Run.

This is Dennis Edwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uijfs77EuoA

This is NOT Dennis Edwards and was recorded in 1965. Check out those backing vocals....wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HBYgpNKOzg

Quote Originally Posted by for_ur_info View Post
    Robb, Joe only led one song which was "Misunderstanding" then he left the group & Dennis only led on a couple of songs[[Its So Hard Being a Loser-Baby Hit & Run), then he went with the Temps in 1966.
    The song on this youtube link was also released on the Contours too. Smokey's classic "It's Growing". The guy loves the song so much, he's put his own extended version of it together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6XKATpSfNU

Did the Contours appear on this recording?

honest man Guest
    John there are those 2 versions, but i remember afew years ago someone posted another lead of this song BHAR, Asking if anyone could shine a light, forget the conclusion,i think there are 3 vocals to this song, cheers,

Andy

To quote Maxine Brown...One step at a time boy, you're moving too fast!!

Let's stick with just 2 versions first!!!

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  21.1 KB
    That second version sure sounds to me like Billy Gordon [[which is why I don't like it). I've always thought it was him on lead. Dennis Edwards had a few other Contours leads [[unless they also had The originals backing him up). I wondered how The Contours started singing decently all of a sudden. So, I never liked ANY Contours records? Just Joe Stubbs and Dennis Edwards with other groups backing them?

Robb

Different strokes for different folks! The Cellarful version has a lots and lots of fans..including me. The 1965 version with prominent male backing vocals is more of a Contours track rather than a solo performance from Dennis Edwards.

honest man Guest
    John my wrists slapped, now i think about it,it was the COM track that was discussed before it appeared on cd, so 2 versions only,I Think ha, what about madeline bell's version, great stuff mate, cheers.

Honest

It might be such that any third version is the producer's own demo.

Did Madeline record that song too...I didn't know.

honest man Guest
    oh my, i've just finished nights, have you mate HA madeline bell one step at a time, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    for_ur_info

If Billy Gordon never did the lead for Baby Hit and Run....then who else might have recorded a lead for the group in late 1965?

Check these two versions from the Contours on Baby Hit And Run.

This is Dennis Edwards

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uijfs77EuoA

This is NOT Dennis Edwards and was recorded in 1965. Check out those backing vocals....wow!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HBYgpNKOzg
    theboyfromxtown: You are right, but after Billy left the group, Dennis redid it & it was released over in the Uk.

robb_k, Over 10 million people disagree with you, thats all I have to say bout that!

That is definetly Billy Gordon on the other version, as Robb said. I prefer this version over Dennis', Billy goes all in on it. The rest of the group and the Funk's are hot as well!

Billy's version is on Cellarful One, which also includes the Contours' version of Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead, led by Joe Stubbs.