[REMOVE ADS]

Dr. Dre Is Making a Movie About Marvin Gaye

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/...ie-1202849381/
    Dr. Dre is working on a movie about the late singer Marvin Gaye, Variety has learned. The rapper, whose film credits include 2015’s “Straight Outta Compton,” on which he served as producer and inspiration for the film, is in the early stages of getting the project off the ground. And rights to use Gaye’s music have been secured, according to sources. Sony/ATV Music Publishing is home to Gaye’s songwriting credits.
    There have been multiple attempts to give Gaye the biopic treatment. The soul singer behind such hits as “What’s Going On,” “Sexual Healing,” and “Let’s Get It On” became one of Motown’s most successful artists before he was fatally shot in 1984 at age 44 by his father following a family dispute in their Los Angeles home. F. Gary Gray, Cameron Crowe, James Gandolfini, Scott Rudin, and actors including Jesse L. Martin and Lenny Kravitz all have tried to bring Gaye’s story to the screen, but until now, none had been authorized by Gaye’s family.

The most recent project to get the sign off from the Gaye estate was with Jamie Foxx who landed the rights for a limited series in 2016 but that project has seen no movement in the years since.
    As for Dre, whose real name is Andre Young, the hip-hop legend has dabbled in feature projects both in front of the camera, in films like “Training Day” and “Car Wash,” as well as producing. His most recent film credit was “Straight Outta Compton,” which chronicled the rise of his hip-hop group N.W.A and was produced by Dre and fellow N.W.A member Ice Cube. The pic was a massive hit and also scored an Oscar nomination for original screenplay.
    In a curious twist of fate, Dre is represented by King, Holmes, Paterno & Soriano, the same legal firm which defended Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams against the Gaye estate in the closely-monitored “Blurred Lines” trial in 2015. The verdict found in favor of the Gaye family, which contended that “Blurred Lines” infringed on Gaye’s 1977 hit “Got to Give It Up” and ordered Thicke and Williams to pay millions in statutory damages.

Dre can kiss my butt, but this might be a good thing that a big project on Marvin might be moving forward. I wonder if the movie will cover his entire life or focus on a specific part.

If they're going to do it, they'd better do it now.

I'm by no means a fan of dre,so i would prefer it be done by someone else..hey spike where you at?

Beat me to it! LOL

But it seems Dre got rights to his music...

How many efforts has it been now for a Marvin film? 10? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'm by no means a fan of dre,so i would prefer it be done by someone else..hey spike where you at?
    Spike Lee would be the ideal director. Someone just needs to get it done as the people that best remember Marvin Gaye are moving on in age. If they intend to do a decent box office, they had better get this done now!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    I'd prefer it be done by someone else also, but the NWA movie was very well done, so if he's going to do it, I have some faith that it will be done well.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

How many efforts has it been now for a Marvin film? 10? LOL
    Probably. Lol I thought the one with Jesse Martin focusing on the exile years was going to see the light of day, but it never happened. And F. Gary Gray was supposed to do one too. He secured music rights and everything but apparently couldn't get financing for it. Dre is paid and highly connected, so his might come to fruition.

I like Dr. Dre's music, and he's a fantastic producer, but it took him decades to apologize for beating former girlfriend Michel'le.

Whatever, i'm glad he is in a high enough position to get this movie made. "Straight Outta Compton" is one of the highest grossing movies in history. And, for the music, he's buddies and business partner with Jimmy Iovine, Universal record executive, the same company that owns the Marvin Gaye masters.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Probably. Lol I thought the one with Jesse Martin focusing on the exile years was going to see the light of day, but it never happened. And F. Gary Gray was supposed to do one too. He secured music rights and everything but apparently couldn't get financing for it. Dre is paid and highly connected, so his might come to fruition.
    Dre got the money to get it financed. Maybe that's why people like F. Gary Gray and Will Smith and Jamie Foxx couldn't get it done and I think Jamie also got the family's OK too.

The exile years one was stopped from being produced because the Gaye family [[that would include Janis since, as far as I know, she still is known legally as Janis Gaye) and Berry Gordy put a permanent halt to it.

I'll believe it when I see it. In other words...it ain't gonna happen.

What is the negative about Dr Dre?

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That he is an alleged billionaire.......

As long as they don’t use the Ritz book as the ONLY source, and give any time to Quincy’s recent revelations... !

Dr. Dre is a woman beater.

A billionaire woman beater writing about a drugged up, sometimes cross dressing maybe closet gay [[?) artistically gifted man, part of a legendary community?

Don't know what I think of Dr. Dre; don't even know what he looks like but I guess his recent movie was critically acclaimed and successful.

I hope that Marvin Gaye was able to clear headedly enjoy some of his life and be who and what he wanted to be.

Seems like he and Aretha Franklin would have been kindred spirits, that probably would have wanted to throttle each other if they were together in life, because of their troubled lives.

A billionaire woman beater writing about a drugged up, sometimes cross dressing maybe closet gay [[?) artistically gifted man, part of a legendary community?

Don't know what I think of Dr. Dre; don't even know what he looks like but I guess his recent movie was critically acclaimed and successful.

I hope that Marvin Gaye was able to clear headedly enjoy some of his life and be who and what he wanted to be.

Seems like he and Aretha Franklin would have been kindred spirits, that probably would have wanted to throttle each other if they were together in life, because of their troubled lives.
    None of this makes sense LOL!!!!!

The film would be either based on David Ritz's book or Janis'.

Don't think Steve Turner's book is that reliable anymore.

He has a history of physically abusing women. Contrary to Soulster's claim above that Dre apologized to his former wife Miche'le for her claims of abuse, I can find no evidence of such a thing. He filed a defamation suit against her for the depiction of him and the abuse in the television movie produced about her story, and he released a statement that spoke in general about him being a different man today than he was in the past. I am not a subscriber to the thought that if a man beats a woman he's always going to be that. The psychology of domestic violence can be complicated, on both sides. But if he's distanced himself from the Dre who beat women [[and not just his wife, he infamously beat Dee Barnes, host of Pump It Up back in the 90s and she wasn't even his woman), why not own the behavior as a changed man? Smells like the change may be surface, which means I wouldn't trust a woman I cared about around his ass.

I also was annoyed that he gave so much money to UCLA when Apple purchased Beats from him. It's not that I would ever deny any adult from doing what they wish with the money they've earned, but yeah, I give the side eye to any Black man who has made so much money off of Black people who then turns around and donates 70 mil to UCLA, who surely is not hurting for money, when there are tons of HBCUs who could've used that money. The money for UCLA was to establish a music program, but think about what a program like that would've done for a historically Black college.

I couldn't ever see them as a couple, but my gosh, how we the music loving public have been deprived of a Marvin/Aretha collaboration! I have a number of male and female singers whom I could easily list in a top 10 or 20 list [[one list for males, one for females) devoted to those voices and artistry that have enraptured me for years. However, I would be unable to rank most of them. It would simply be a list compiled as the names came to my mind. But the number one spot on the male list would be accurately ranked, and that's Marvin Gaye. The number one and two spot on the female list would also be accurately ranked as a tie, Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin. Thank God I have my all time favorite Marvin and all time favorite Diana doing stuff together, but as pleased as I am with their work together, there is no doubt in my mind that whatever Marvin and Ree had come up with would've knocked me out. Especially if it was done during the 70s when I feel both artists were at their peak of creativity. Apparently there was talk between them about doing some stuff together but it never happened. Somebody should've stopped everything and made this a reality. Too late now.

They might have done something for each other because they both carried so much family baggage from a young age

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    None of this makes sense LOL!!!!!
    Was thinking same Marv..... jeeesh

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Was thinking same Marv..... jeeesh
    I would like to see a film made about Marvin Gaye. He does have an interesting story. He wasn't a saint, but he also never had the reputation of going around being intentionally nasty to people, backstabbing to further his career or playing the "Hollywood" game. He relied on his God given talent which was a true talent!

Most accounts say Marvin was a pretty nice, down to earth person. It was just that the more addicted he became to coke, he had mood swings. I always believed Marvin was bipolar. I'm surprised Janis or Anna hadn't been asked about his supposed bipolar disorder. But Marvin definitely talked about it [[but he used manic depressive instead of bipolar).

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That he is an alleged billionaire.......

I thought he was Marv, especially after he sold Beats to Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I thought he was Marv, especially after he sold Beats to Apple.
    Cincinnati_Kid he may certainly be a billionaire. The way the media gets things twisted and report different "facts" at the same time, I wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by simon.millar View Post
    As long as they don’t use the Ritz book as the ONLY source, and give any time to Quincy’s recent revelations... !
    Why would they give any time to Quincy's "revelations"? Quincy wasn't saying jack but rambling off the mouth. He's an almost 90-year-old man and people that old say anything. Besides Marvin's been dead 34 years, you think if he was still alive that he would've let it slide today if Quincy came out of his mouth sideways to claim Marvin was sleeping with Brando or at the very least was bisexual? No he would not.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Why would they give any time to Quincy's "revelations"? Quincy wasn't saying jack but rambling off the mouth. He's an almost 90-year-old man and people that old say anything. Besides Marvin's been dead 34 years, you think if he was still alive that he would've let it slide today if Quincy came out of his mouth sideways to claim Marvin was sleeping with Brando or at the very least was bisexual? No he would not.
    I can't even begin to fathom the thought, that Marvin was gay. I just can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    I can't even begin to fathom the thought, that Marvin was gay. I just can't.
    I mean, personally, it wouldn't matter to me because he would still be the larger-than-life music legend he is now. I just wish Marvin was alive to lay it all down but I'm sure he'll say what he'd been saying: "what they do is cool but that's not me" lol