[REMOVE ADS]

HOLLAND/DOZIER featuring BRIAN HOLLAND -"SLIPPIN' AWAY"

They were simply AWESOME! LOL!

That is a very nice production. I realize that probably, like me, many folk thought that when HDH left Motown that their productions would be so similar to their Motown work. I did not find that to be the case with a majority of the output they produced. This particular recording has a lot more of those Motown elements in the design, the chord structure, and the pronounced way one can hear the bass guitar [[which by the way has a lot of the Motown bassists', whether it be Jamerson or Babbitt, flavor to it). One thing that gives it its identity, however, is the sound level/style of the synthesizer/keyboard. Thanks for sharing this.

Check this one out. It has the "Motown Sound"

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Check this one out. It has the "Motown Sound"

I miss not having the verses on the above edit, particularly "I know your life's been a jigsaw puzzle, and I'm the piece that's caused you trouble".

This was a big personal favorite of mine from 1972:

This was a big personal favorite of mine from 1972:

That's my favourite of the Holland-Dozier tracks on Invictus. Laura Lee's later version on Invictus seems to have used the same backing track.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    That's my favourite of the Holland-Dozier tracks on Invictus. Laura Lee's later version on Invictus seems to have used the same backing track.
    I still get a kick out of Eddie Holland "moaning" like a hungry dog at the beginning of this track "Don't Leave Me Starvin'" indeed! LOL!

I still get a kick out of Eddie Holland "moaning" like a hungry dog at the beginning of this track "Don't Leave Me Starvin'" indeed! LOL!
    Even with Brian credited on the label, I could swear the whole vocal sounds like Eddie, unless they just sound a whole lot alike. I really don't know what Brian sounds like. I'm basing this on Eddie's Hitsville recordings, of course. He bore a great vocal resemblance to Jackie Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Even with Brian credited on the label, I could swear the whole vocal sounds like Eddie, unless they just sound a whole lot alike. I really don't know what Brian sounds like. I'm basing this on Eddie's Hitsville recordings, of course. He bore a great vocal resemblance to Jackie Wilson.
    You're right! Eddie sounded almost identical to Jackie on "Jamie".