[REMOVE ADS]

Lots of Seats Left For Saturday Night Ross at The Bowl

Looks like there are still a thousand seats left for those of you last minute shoppers. I believe this is the 6th or 7th time at The Bowl with the same show, so it makes sense, I guess that folks think it’ll never change.

Id go if I were closer - it’s an amazing venue - a breath taking summer evening!

I go see Diana every opportunity I have, as long as it is within a few hours driving distance. More and more of our legends are leaving us or retiring, so to be able to still experience her in a live setting is a real blessing, regardless of whether or not the set list has changed. Many of the so-called super fans who love to catch her shows on a monthly basis and follow her from city to city, tend to be the loudest ones who complain about the show being the same. I always find that really odd. I think in some ways, these fans lose sight of reality.

As for the Hollywood Bowl, I wish I could attend but would have to fly to get there. For those who are attending, I wish them a wonderful evening. Diana always pulls out a couple of surprises for this show. Last year she entered on the swing that lowered from the ceiling. That was pretty cool! You don't get to see that at any of her other shows except at the Hollywood Bowl. Totally worth the ticket price!

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post
    I go see Diana every opportunity I have, as long as it is within a few hours driving distance. More and more of our legends are leaving us or retiring, so to be able to still experience her in a live setting is a real blessing, regardless of whether or not the set list has changed. Many of the so-called super fans who love to catch her shows on a monthly basis and follow her from city to city, tend to be the loudest ones who complain about the show being the same. I always find that really odd. I think in some ways, these fans lose sight of reality.

As for the Hollywood Bowl, I wish I could attend but would have to fly to get there. For those who are attending, I wish them a wonderful evening. Diana always pulls out a couple of surprises for this show. Last year she entered on the swing that lowered from the ceiling. That was pretty cool! You don't get to see that at any of her other shows except at the Hollywood Bowl. Totally worth the ticket price!
    I'd love to see the show as I'm an east-coaster and never been to the H'wd Bowl. I don't think there are 1,000 tickets still left based on my look at the website, but definitely tix in each section. Ella, Frank, Lena, Judy, Marlene, Josephine, and on-and-on all had the same complaint about 'same show' in their later years. I agree with you: don't like? Don't go. Next? Be well!

I love the lady, but I am not sure I would go if it was free. The set-list, arrangements, and costumes are stale and uninspired.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-13-2018 at 10:41 AM.

I'm almost tempted to grab a couple of those seats and head down there for this even after Diana's past fiasco at the Hollywood Bowl in which I swore never again.
    I see here that she's going to be supported by an actual full orchestra and not just the minimum with cheesy synth keyboards. That would make for a very special experience in hearing her Motown music.

If she were smart she would record it .

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post

I saw Kylie Minogue twice at the Hollywood Bowl in 2009 and 2011, loved both times. KM had a standard rock band set up with a brass section in 2009 [[shocking for a sugary 00s pop artist), while she went the more electronic route in 2011 using live synths and a drummer who would go back and forth between setting off some presets. From my experience, the sound is great when you're in the seating section right BEFORE the pit, but the second time I saw her, the sound got muddled during parts with heavy synth. It might have been a mixture of where we were sitting [[left side of stage in the pit) and the heavier electronic elements in the second show.

I used to be a huge Madonna fan when I was in my teens from 2009-2014 [[memorabilia collecting when I would save up, constant forum chatter, the ilk) and I would experience those same types of fans. People would dish out large dividends on multiple nights to follow her show to different cities even when most times, it largely stayed the same due to the size of the production. Nowadays, I'm more of a "one-hit" sort of guy who doesn't have to be at the front row and is just happy I'm there.

While of course I *do* hope to hear the songs I want to hear, I can guarantee stars like Diana Ross are professional hosts after all this time no matter the setlist. I saw Madonna in 2012 perform mostly album tracks from her previously new album and even the casual fans went wild due to her charisma. Kylie Minogue in 2012 did something a modern pop artist NEVER does, and did a short tour with full sets of unreleased material, B-Sides, fan-favorites, and album tracks ONLY. She still delighted the audience because they were seeing HER.

I mean, look at Martha Reeves: her voice definitely has changed since the 1960s and I'm sure the older fans would like to see some rare material outside of the medleys and hits, but telling a joke and bringing the audience to her side is probably as second nature as passing gas. LOL

When it comes to setlists, I know how it feels to be a dedicated fan and have that itch in your mind for them to pay service for all you've done. When I grew out of that mindset, I realized how much I enjoyed the show better like everyone else in the audience. Yeah, maybe I don't want to hear Bon Jovi play "Livin' On A Prayer" for the 5th time, but if it's the first time I'm seeing him/them this year, you bet I'm going to be like everyone else in the crowd and shouting my lungs out.

It's also a form of acceptance. When I go attend a show for a smaller or local artist, there's a heavy chance they will play something unexpected with the smaller format and open-ended vibes. When I see a 2000s pop artist, it's most likely I'm going to see new material and all the hits [[depending on the artist). Usually you can pick out the artists with the shows they do if they're the type to play fan-favorites or not. I've been to plenty of "nostalgia" acts with my grandma in tow, and yes, most of them do stick to the crowd favorites, but what do you expect? By now, these stars have their sh*t on lock, they know what the general ticket buyer who grew up with them want to hear, and they've reached the peak of their craft. As someone who didn't get a chance to catch these acts in their prime, this is the best I'm going to get, and damned straight I'm going to sing along to "Ain't No Mountain" for the gazillionth time in her career.
    Last edited by loganjlr; 06-13-2018 at 03:29 PM.