[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 30 of 30
  1. #1

    What are your favourite Gladys Knight and the Pips songs?

    My top 3 are:

    3. Midnight Train to Georgia
    2. If I were your Woman
    1. I've Got to Use My Imagination

  2. #2
    Lol, don't take this the wrong way CP, but this could and probably should go in the Motown forum!

    Anyway I'd add "The End Of Our Road" (funkaaaay!) and "The Nitty Gritty" to your (already great) list. Also an honourable mention for "He's My Kind Of Fellow" and "Got Myself A Good Man"...

  3. #3
    I have many but here are ten I am thinking of right now:

    1. I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    2. If I Were Your Woman
    3. Neither One of Us
    4. Midnight Train To Georgia
    5. Part Time Love
    6. I've Got To Use My Imagination
    7. The Makings of You
    8. Make Yours A Happy Home
    9. Don't Make Me Run Away
    10. Oh What A Love I Have Found

  4. #4
    Tomatotom:

    Thanks for mentioning Got Myself a Good Man. Great song and in my opinion better than most of their Motown hits. I would put Friendship Train pretty high on the list too.

  5. #5
    Midnight train to Georgia
    Every beat of my heart
    Neither one of us
    Baby don't change my mind
    Walk softly
    What if I should ever need you
    I've got to use my imagination

    Well too many to list. I love so many.

  6. #6
    1. The Nitty Gritty
    2. I Feel A Song (In My Heart)
    3. Friendship Train
    4. Make Yours A Happy Home
    5. Save The Overtime (For Me)

  7. #7
    Hmmm ... will take me a while to winnow it down - love all the songs already listed - perhaps 'If I ....' would be #1, though -

  8. #8
    [QUOTE=TomatoTom123;463813]Lol, don't take this the wrong way CP, but this could and probably should go in the Motown forum!

    Anyway I'd add "The End Of Our Road" (funkaaaay!) and "The Nitty Gritty" to your (already great) list. Also an honourable mention for "He's My Kind Of Fellow" and "Got Myself A Good Man"... [/QUOTE
    DRAT you, you vicious troublemaker !!!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Lol, don't take this the wrong way CP, but this could and probably should go in the Motown forum!

    Anyway I'd add "The End Of Our Road" (funkaaaay!) and "The Nitty Gritty" to your (already great) list. Also an honourable mention for "He's My Kind Of Fellow" and "Got Myself A Good Man"...
    Thomas. Upon further consideration. It is clearly apparent that this item should be in the new DRATS thread, because, of course, GKATP recorded on the Gordy label, which was financed largely by the success of afore-mentioned DRATS. I guess it COULD be on the Motown banner as Gordy was a subsidiary of Motown ... But then again, GKATP recorded for VeeJay BEFORE Gordy, and other labels AFTER, so that would eliminate the Motown sector of the forum as a logical listing place. I guess the Clubhouse could be an anodyne answer, as it does indeed involve 'favorite records', but not too many members seem to visit the Clubhouse. I have a vague thought of eliminating all the separate Forums and simply having one open forum - that would indeed be a great stress reliever to the several members who obsess (as you allude to) over which Forum a thread is listed in - and that way it would be each member's individual responsibility to read/enter each thread in which they have interest and, more importantly, simply ignore those threads in which they do not have an interest! But then again ... individual responsibilty? Crazy thought, right?? Anyhoo, I, too, am a great fan of the funky side of GKATP regardless of whichsoever forum their music appears in! As always, best to you!
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-14-2018 at 07:38 AM.

  10. #10
    Seems sensible to place a thread about a group who recorded for several record label here.
    Furthermore, a post about GK&TPs will not attract dozens of tit for tat arguments from fanatics/obsessives which would then ruin the SD forum.

    Favourites ? Giving Up, Stop and get a hold of myself...pre Motown
    Part Time Love..post Motown

    Motown..so many but like "Somebody stole the sunshine" a lot.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    DRAT you, you vicious troublemaker !!!
    haaaaaaa
    I only stand up for what I consider to be right and proper in the world of online forums, as you know PNH

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Thomas. Upon further consideration. It is clearly apparent that this item should be in the new DRATS thread, because, of course, GKATP recorded on the Gordy label, which was financed largely by the success of afore-mentioned DRATS. I guess it COULD be on the Motown banner as Gordy was a subsidiary of Motown ... But then again, GKATP recorded for VeeJay BEFORE Gordy, and other labels AFTER, so that would eliminate the Motown sector of the forum as a logical listing place. I guess the Clubhouse could be an anodyne answer, as it does indeed involve 'favorite records', but not too many members seem to visit the Clubhouse. I have a vague thought of eliminating all the separate Forums and simply having one open forum - that would indeed be a great stress reliever to the several members who obsess (as you allude to) over which Forum a thread is listed in - and that way it would be each member's individual responsibility to read/enter each thread in which they have interest and, more importantly, simply ignore those threads in which they do not have an interest! But then again ... individual responsibilty? Crazy thought, right?? Anyhoo, I, too, am a great fan of the funky side of GKATP regardless of whichsoever forum their music appears in! As always, best to you!
    Ah this made me laugh out loud PNH.
    Now here's a question for you: what forum should discussion of the forum and its various subforums go in? So many layers to this.
    Of course... I joke

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Tomatotom:

    Thanks for mentioning Got Myself a Good Man. Great song and in my opinion better than most of their Motown hits. I would put Friendship Train pretty high on the list too.
    Hey no problem david, I was reluctant to mention it at first as it wasn't a classic or a hit even, but it's a great lil song. "Friendship Train" is also fantastic, now that one is definitely more of a classic!

  14. #14
    In no particular order:

    I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    Friendship Train
    You Need Love Like I Do (Don't You)
    Midnight Train To Georgia
    I've Got To Use My Imagination
    Make Yours A Happy Home
    Try To Remember/The Way We Were
    Part Time Love
    Bourgie Bourgie
    Taste Of Bitter Love
    Save the Overtime For Me

  15. #15
    1. I Heard It Through the Grapevine (
    Grapevine was my intro to Gladys (in junior high) and I've loved her since!)
    2. Neither One of Us (perfection! - vocal performance, production)
    3. Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me (Gladys breathes soul into a great pop song)


  16. #16
    To many of the aforementioned, Iíll add:

    Master of My Mind
    And This Is Love
    This Child Needs Its Father
    Daddy Could Swear, I Declare
    and (post-Motown)
    On and On

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Ah this made me laugh out loud PNH.
    Now here's a question for you: what forum should discussion of the forum and its various subforums go in? So many layers to this.
    Of course... I joke
    We MUST have a subforum of forums on which to discuss the deliniations of forumation which has evolved for the devolution of toleration of safe spaceness! Or something.

  18. #18
    I cede to everyone who has listed favorites; they area all excellent, and there are far too many - though the entire IIWYW remains a favorite lp. A lesser-known fav is 'How Can You Say That Ain't Love' - superb on the lp and a pulse-raiser as a concert opener in the 70's.

  19. #19
    Hard to pick out a top ten or twenty. Too many tracks lol

    But if I was to put a top ten/twenty of their most essential cuts, it would be (and this is not in any order either):

    1.) I Heard It Through the Grapevine
    2.) Every Beat of My Heart
    3.) Giving Up
    4.) Friendship Train
    5.) Nitty Gritty
    6.) Didn't You Know You'd Have to Cry Sometimes
    7.) If I Were Your Woman
    8.) Neither One of Us (Wants to Be the First to Say Goodbye)
    9.) Midnight Train to Georgia
    10.) Best Thing That Ever Happened to Me
    11.) Save the Overtime (For Me)
    12.) It Should Have Been Me
    13.) I Don't Wanna Do Wrong
    14.) Try to Remember/The Way We Were
    15.) I've Really Got to Use My Imagination
    16.) Landlord
    17.) You're Number One (In My Book)
    18.) Love Overboard
    19.) Make Me the Woman That You Go Home To
    20.) The Makings of You

    ----
    As noticed, there are more tracks I didn't name because it's hard to put them all in a top 20. They're a true Hall of Fame act!

  20. #20
    I Feel A Song
    Part Time Love
    On And On
    Landlord
    If I Were Your Woman
    Make Yours A Happy Home

  21. #21
    What a delicious thread.

    1. I Heard It Through The Grapevine
    2. The End Of Our Road
    3. It Should Have Been Me
    4. Didn't You Know
    5. The Nitty Gritty
    6. Friendship Train
    7. You Need Love Like I Do
    8. If I Were Your Woman
    9. I Don't Want To Do Wrong
    10.Neither One Of Us
    11. Midnight Train
    12. Imagination
    13. Love Overboard
    14. License To Kill (Solo)
    Last edited by nathanj06; 06-15-2018 at 02:10 PM.

  22. #22
    1. If You Ever Get Your Hands On Love
    2. Didn't You Know (You'd Have to Cry Some Time)
    3. Take Me In Your Arms And Love Me

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    We MUST have a subforum of forums on which to discuss the deliniations of forumation which has evolved for the devolution of toleration of safe spaceness! Or something.
    Just don't get me started on "safe space" and the poor little darlings of the so-called "snowflake generation"
    Last edited by 144man; 06-15-2018 at 07:13 PM.

  24. #24
    I also would put "I feel a song in my heart" on my top 10.

  25. #25
    I Feel A Song in My Heart is that knock. So is Make Yours a Happy Home!!! In fact the ENTIRE Claudine soundtrack was genius. I could listen to Gladys sing "The Makings of You" all day WITH and WITHOUT the music (Curtis' original is okay but you can see why some of his compositions are better when someone else sings it).

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I Feel A Song in My Heart is that knock. So is Make Yours a Happy Home!!! In fact the ENTIRE Claudine soundtrack was genius. I could listen to Gladys sing "The Makings of You" all day WITH and WITHOUT the music (Curtis' original is okay but you can see why some of his compositions are better when someone else sings it).
    True, dat! The group out out their best work during the 1973-1975 era, IMO.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    True, dat! The group out out their best work during the 1973-1975 era, IMO.
    I agree 💯. They were my favorite group during this time period.

  28. #28
    Neither One of us...simply sublime
    All Our Love
    I’ve got to use my imagination
    If I were your woman
    Midnight train
    I feel a Song
    Grapevine
    You’re the Best thing.
    Save the Overtime

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    True, dat! The group out out their best work during the 1973-1975 era, IMO.
    No arguments here!

  30. #30
    No Help Me Make It Through The Night?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.