[REMOVE ADS]

For all U.S. natives only - A fun test!

Now, for something totally different and fun!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-quiz-map.html

This has been around for a lot of years, but it's a fun to see how accurate it is for guessing where you're from.

I've taken the test three times spread over the years, and it has consistently pin-pointed me in Tucson, AZ, which is 100% correct. But, it also consistently and erroneously puts me in Fresno, CA.. I guess the dialects have something common to the two locations. But, it got the third location right the first time I took the test, but got it wrong the last two times.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  21.1 KB
    Ha! HA! I spent my growing up years in Winnipeg, Manitoba, late teen and early 20s in Chicagoland, early and mid 20s in Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area, late 20s and early 30s in The 3rd World and L.A. Late 30s in 3rd World and Den Haag, Netherlands, and the rest in Western Europe, Canada and L.A.

I chose honestly what I actually say most in each case. I would have guessed that I would show up as from northern Minnesota or Northern Michigan, Wisconsin or Chicago, or, possibly L.A. But, guess what? I show up as being from New York City, Newark New Jersey, and Baltimore. All places which I have spent 2 days, total, in my entire life. I've spent hundreds of times longer in little villages in The Sudan, Ethiopia, Jordan and Egypt! Some test!

bump te bump te bump!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 244
    Ha! HA! I spent my growing up years in Winnipeg, Manitoba, late teen and early 20s in Chicagoland, early and mid 20s in Los Angeles and San Francisco Bay Area, late 20s and early 30s in The 3rd World and L.A. Late 30s in 3rd World and Den Haag, Netherlands, and the rest in Western Europe, Canada and L.A.

I chose honestly what I actually say most in each case. I would have guessed that I would show up as from northern Minnesota or Northern Michigan, Wisconsin or Chicago, or, possibly L.A. But, guess what? I show up as being from New York City, Newark New Jersey, and Baltimore. All places which I have spent 2 days, total, in my entire life. I've spent hundreds of times longer in little villages in The Sudan, Ethiopia, Jordan and Egypt! Some test!
    Since we have communicated and I am originally from Newark, New Jersey, I never thought you could be.

It puts me in the greater New York City area. Which is correct.

[[!!!!!) Put me in Columbus, Ohio, which is where I am.

This test is a little creepy. It had me down for New York City, Philadelphia [[where I use to live) and Yonkers [[where I visit on business sometimes). It's accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    This test is a little creepy. It had me down for New York City, Philadelphia [[where I use to live) and Yonkers [[where I visit on business sometimes). It's accurate.
    For the most part, it's amazingly accurate for at least one choice. What disturbs me is that it showed me as being from the city of my ex's birthplace. I've never been there!

Yep,that was fun.

Hmmm...I got NYC [bingo! my current city], but also New Orleans and Baton Rouge, two cities I've never visited. [[I was born in GA. Close, but no cigar!)

I got Salt Lake City, Utah and Fresno and Modesto California. I was born and raised in San Diego. Aside from a year and half I lived in Hawaii and six months I lived in San Francisco I have always lived in San Diego. No connection to Salt Lake at all. Maybe had some relatives who lived in Fresno or Modesto at different times. Don't recall ever being in either city. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    I got Salt Lake City, Utah and Fresno and Modesto California. I was born and raised in San Diego. Aside from a year and half I lived in Hawaii and six months I lived in San Francisco I have always lived in San Diego. No connection to Salt Lake at all. Maybe had some relatives who lived in Fresno or Modesto at different times. Don't recall ever being in either city. Hmmm.
    Well, it goes by what type of words and phrases you use.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    For the most part, it's amazingly accurate for at least one choice. What disturbs me is that it showed me as being from the city of my ex's birthplace. I've never been there!
    So, you gonna call her and sing "Always On My Mind" or not?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Well, it goes by what type of words and phrases you use.
Views: 201
    I think they pegged me to New York/NJ because I call soft drinks "Pop" [[we called it "Soda Pop" way back in the olden days). Many of the rest I had a Canadian word or phrase which didn't compute [[like "trainers" for "sneakers/tennis shoes"). So, they puyt me in New York, because, otherwise, they had no idea. But, I guess the test should work well for people raised in USA.

We should have a Canadian one for differentiating those of us who were raised in B.C., The Prarie Provinces, Ontario, Quebec, The Maritimes, Nunavit, and Newfoundland [[a weird place, where few can be understood) .

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 201
    I think they pegged me to New York/NJ because I call soft drinks "Pop" [[we called it "Soda Pop" way back in the olden days). Many of the rest I had a Canadian word or phrase which didn't compute [[like "trainers" for "sneakers/tennis shoes"). So, they puyt me in New York, because, otherwise, they had no idea. But, I guess the test should work well for people raised in USA.

We should have a Canadian one for differentiating those of us who were raised in B.C., The Prarie Provinces, Ontario, Quebec, The Maritimes, Nunavit, and Newfoundland [[a weird place, where few can be understood) .
    I called it "pop" too, robb but it pinned me down in central Ohio. It triangulates all 26 questions to figure out where you likely are based. I used to marvel at how my family in Virginia called pop "soda" and greens "salad". And when I moved to Memphis, it was crazier yet. I had to ask somebody what it meant when someone told me "I'm finna leave."

Well.... mine says I’m from Providence, Greensboro, and Raleigh. I’m from Beaumont, Texas. Lived in LA, Vegas, and currently in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Well.... mine says I’m from Providence, Greensboro, and Raleigh. I’m from Beaumont, Texas. Lived in LA, Vegas, and currently in Boston.
    I use to live in Boston or rather "Bah-Stun" LOL!.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
Views: 164
    Clearly, you've picked up too much of a New England accent, recently. Put on your Ten-Gallon Hat, and that'll bring your Texan out again!