[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I think the released version of "Itchin" suited Diana as well as it would have Flo, but I think the early unreleased version is really the one that Florence would've ripped to shreds. That was a lost opportunity.
    Ran, I've always thought Flo should have sung lead due to my love of the song and Flo, but when I first heard the lower key version with Diana, I knew that the song was perfectly suited to Flo. Oh, what might have been!

I always felt Flo would've THROWN DOWN on Love Is Like An Itching in My Heart, Let Me Go the Right Way and Going Down for the Third Time.

BUT those songs were perfect for Miss Ross too.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Ran, I've always thought Flo should have sung lead due to my love of the song and Flo, but when I first heard the lower key version with Diana, I knew that the song was perfectly suited to Flo. Oh, what might have been!
    Yup. Even in a lower key, Diana sounds great on it. I know it's hard for people to comprehend anything other than the version they've been hearing forever, but I have to wonder if "Itchin" would've done even better if released in the lower key. Diana sounds so sexy on it. But that was a key that Florence could've settled in. Had Gordy decided to throw a curve ball, I don't think he nor the fans would've been disappointed in Flo having the lead on that single.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I always felt Flo would've THROWN DOWN on Love Is Like An Itching in My Heart, Let Me Go the Right Way and Going Down for the Third Time.

BUT those songs were perfect for Miss Ross too.
    I had never thought about "Right Way" until it was mentioned in this thread, but Flo would've been great on it. As it is, she was tearing up that background.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nope! Those records would not have been anything without Mary Wilson. She gives them a spark. She sang full lead on He's My Man in my opinion.
    Nope! Mary's vocals were flat and uninspiring. Totally unsuited to those songs, and the public agreed. Scherrie may well have made the difference between hit and flop on the pop charts.

I had never thought about "Right Way" until it was mentioned in this thread, but Flo would've been great on it. As it is, she was tearing up that background.
    Right. I'm guessing that may have been the reason BG decided to not give it to her? She was killing that background! I love Flo's voice.

I love Flo's voice.
    I do too. She's tied with Diana and Jean as my favorite Supreme voice.

I do too. She's tied with Diana and Jean as my favorite Supreme voice.
    Same.

As far as I'm concerned, those three are the voices of the Supremes.

Same.

As far as I'm concerned, those three are the voices of the Supremes.
    Lol Yup. At least they are the reasons I'm a fan. No disrespect to Mary, Barbara, Cindy, Lynda, Scherrie or Susaye, but I'm a fan of the Supremes because of Flo, Diana and Jean. I do, however, respect the other Supreme voices very much, as I particularly enjoy Mary, Lynda and Scherrie's lead singing, and definitely acknowledge that Mary's voice is an integral part of every lineup. She's an underrated vocalist IMO.

^ You're telling the truth there lol

Marv I totally agree. The original Sups are the best. Three distinct sounds. Their blend/harmony can’t be beat! I find the Andantes background to be somewhat generic. I esp like Sups Roostertail performance. Of course there are other great female groups, but they had that unique harmony.

Lol Yup. At least they are the reasons I'm a fan. No disrespect to Mary, Barbara, Cindy, Lynda, Scherrie or Susaye, but I'm a fan of the Supremes because of Flo, Diana and Jean. I do, however, respect the other Supreme voices very much, as I particularly enjoy Mary, Lynda and Scherrie's lead singing, and definitely acknowledge that Mary's voice is an integral part of every lineup. She's an underrated vocalist IMO.
    I agree ☝️ with Mary’s contributions. Esp on The High Energy output.

I like the rock edge of Itchin and the extended version is wht I Listen too when painting -helps to get me thru the task. You can really feel that song! Flo would have been great too. I doubt anyone other than the Funk Bros. could give that recording the same vibe.

IMO Mary made He’s My Man with her very sexy vocal. Scherries’s tendency to oversing can get almost histrionic. Mary kept it real and sultry.

I would love to hear Flo on Itching - and Levi as well. The problem with Levi is he wouldn’t have nailed the verse, but could have torn up the chorus......Diana’s lead is superb - just in the wrong key.