[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Coppelia-Birdsong Guest

Any Supremes songs you would want done with alternative lead singers?

Diana Ross is a national treasure in my opinion, but so are the other girls. There are some songs I genuinely think would have been more suited to the other Supremes then Diana, as well as Jean and Scherrie in some cases, but in others I am just genuinely curious as to see what they would have done with the same song.

I think Cindy would have done very well on Forever Came Today, as what I've gathered from what little I've heard of her singing lead is that she does very well on slow, soulful spoken words/ballads, but can inject sexiness and sweetness and energy when she sees fit to add extra oomph.

Can't Hurry Love for me is much more fun to listen to as a live performance, as there is far more energy from all three girls, and Mary and Flo are heard far more prominently then on the single, but best of all at the highest points in the song, all three girls fuse into one voice, which is when Can't Hurry Love is at its best on any recording. I personally love the Ed Sullivan and Roostertail versions best. I would have liked a medley of the french and Italian versions of the song, but also taking a similar approach to Breathtaking Guy, where Mary and Diana, as individuals and together get to sing some of the verses [[since the lyrics are very repetitive it's very easy to extend extra repetitions for Flo and Mary), and the finale [[which the single version lacks) is all three booming it out. Can't Hurry Love just gets gooder the more you listen to it, but I've listend to the Ed Sullivan and Roostertail live recordings so many times the single release doesn't hold anywhere near as much as appeal as it used to.

Not for an entire song - but trade-offs, particularly in live versions may have been fun. An interesting question!

The Supremes were Diana Ross. One Buttered Popcorn and one Can't Take My Eyes Off You were enough.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-13-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Maybe Flo on You Keep Me Hangin' On, Mary on My World Is Empty...Cindy could have gotten a piece of Automatically Sunshine....[[In the Motorcity FLOS years, Lynda did very nice recorded leads on Love Child and Forever Came Today) Jean supposedly did well live with a full version of Love is Here and Now You're Gone early on...I would love to hear that version.

I would keep Diana's leads as they were, but have the actual Supremes singing backup on songs like "Love Child" and "Someday We'll Be Together". To me they are Supremes' songs in name only. Then there's the issue of songs where Marlene is probably singing backup instead of Flo.

Post-Diana I would have loved to hear Lynda sing lead on "Cheap Lovin'" and a multi-lead version of "Love Train".

During the MSC era I would have given "He's My Man", "Early Morning Love", and "This Is Why I Believe In You" to Scherrie. Mary shines on "Can We Love Again" and "You Turn Me Around", but the dance songs were really better suited to Scherrie.

Agree with gman. Flo On YKMHO and Mary on MWIEWYB. Flo in Going Down Down...Tho Diana held her own on that one. Mary on WDOLG. Flo On YCHL.
    Last edited by luke; 06-13-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    New forum rules: Diana Ross fans who don't want to accept that the other Supremes were talented as well will now be rolled up in a carpet and buried alive under Diana's old wigs.

Also. Wasn't Love is Here and Now You're Gone written by HDH for Mary originally? I would have dearly loved to hear Jean's heavenly vocals on that song though, and Mary/Jean/Cindy doing the waily wah wah wah wah oooh chorus at the beginning. I think Ooowee Baby and Send me No Flowers are pop perfection, but I would have liked to hear Flo's velvety gospel voice take on both songs. I think Flo really should have gotten to sing lead on some of the more heartbreaking/wistful lyrics, as out of the three original girls, Flo far and away had the most blues to sing about: deaths of her father and younger brother, as well as her rape, and now seeing her chance to sing lead slipping further and further away and losing her friend Diana to the showbiz machine.

I think of Send me no Flowers as being a very ethereal sounding song, and all three of the original girls can really channel that feeling when they want to: Diana in this song or Your Heart Belongs to Me, Mary in Pretty Baby, and Flo in Heavenly Father, and all three in Stop in the Name of Love. I would have loved a version where all three girls took a turn as lead and backup singer, each girl sounded haunting when the song called for it.

I'd also love to have heard a Flo led Up the Ladder to the Roof because of how different it would have been from Jean's heavenly sweet version: I imagine it would be deeper and more velvety and jazzy/bouncy, like the Living Single cover by Flo and the Flavourettes.
    Last edited by Coppelia-Birdsong; 06-13-2018 at 12:34 PM.

I wouldn’t want to trade any of the hit leads - not an iota. I prefer The Andantes sound to Mary and Cindy, so I wouldn’t change any of those. I don’t think Flo had the chops to handle HDH and I don’t care for Cindy’s voice as a rule - but a proper solo could be found if needed.

‘’On Love Child, i’d Give Evening Train and Honey Bee to Flo. Ditto Western Union Man. Everyday People to Mary. I don’t think I’d give and HDH away, but several more lp cuts like I’m glad to Mary.

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    I like the Andantes sound, but I think they should have been their own band rather then being used in place of Mary and Cindy. I never understood why the Andantes were content with being backup singers when they could have achieved so much more as a band rather then oohing and aaahing in the background of Diana Ross.

When it comes down to it, the Andantes were unofficial Supremes in how much they sang in the DRATs years. I wonder if maybe Gordy should have replaced Diana with Cindy and added Jean, kept Flo, and worked with that as the new Supremes, and then made Diana and the Andantes a thing. Everybody happy then, and we get to be happy because of all the tunes they made. Diana and the Andantes make a wonderful match, as proven by amazing numbers like Love Child, Livin' in Shame, Forever Came Today, No Matter What Sign you Are, Treat me Right John Henry [[my personal fave) and Someday We'll Be Together.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppelia-Birdsong View Post
    I like the Andantes sound, but I think they should have been their own band rather then being used in place of Mary and Cindy. I never understood why the Andantes were content with being backup singers when they could have achieved so much more as a band rather then oohing and aaahing in the background of Diana Ross.

When it comes down to it, the Andantes were unofficial Supremes in how much they sang in the DRATs years. I wonder if maybe Gordy should have replaced Diana with Cindy and added Jean, kept Flo, and worked with that as the new Supremes, and then made Diana and the Andantes a thing. Everybody happy then, and we get to be happy because of all the tunes they made. Diana and the Andantes make a wonderful match, as proven by amazing numbers like Love Child, Livin' in Shame, Forever Came Today, No Matter What Sign you Are, Treat me Right John Henry [[my personal fave) and Someday We'll Be Together.
    You do know the Andantes didn’t sing on No Matter What Sign you Are, Treat me Right John Henry and Someday We'll Be Together

I’ve always understood the Andantes sang on No Matter What Sign You Are

We did discuss this before. Louvain Demps said they were not on it

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    I thought the Andantes sang on just about every single DRATS single except for the ones released with the Temptations.

Also what little I found about Treat me Right John Henry said that it was an experimental song Diana picked out and sang on her own in the studio. Unless that is Cindy and Mary singing? It was recorded in 1968 so it won't be Flo on there. It's odd as I felt like an earlier song, as Diana's voice sounds younger and fresher then it generally sounds on the DRATs era, and felt more like the Meet the Supremes era.

Mary on WDOLG [[I think Mary would also sound good on Diana's "How About You").
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 06-13-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    Was Mary also supposed to be the original lead singer on WDOLG?

I wonder what might have happened if that had. Would we be in a different universe, talking about Mary Wilson and the Supremes, and the tragic death of Diana Ross, a star who never got the chance to shine? If you take multiverse theory into account, there may be universes were out counterparts are all rocking out to Betty McGlown and the Primettes.

Was Mary also supposed to be the original lead singer on WDOLG?

I wonder what might have happened if that had. Would we be in a different universe, talking about Mary Wilson and the Supremes, and the tragic death of Diana Ross, a star who never got the chance to shine? If you take multiverse theory into account, there may be universes were out counterparts are all rocking out to Betty McGlown and the Primettes.
    No. It was planned for Diana when they cut the track. Eddie Holland suggested Mary on it, but was out voted and they had Diana sing lower than she had been. The rest us history. Mary’s voice is not suited for pop music and definitely not crossover friendly in 1964. Also, she didn’t have the chops to handle HDH’S cramped lyrics......her banal reading on Come And Get These Memories two years after WDOLG proves that.
    ‘Over the years Mary was given plenty of chances to shine, but there was no industry interest. She’s an ideal balladeer, but would not have taken The Supremes where Ross did. She’s a consummate entertainer and wowed The Copa at 21 less than a year after her first national exposure. That’s remarkable.. Lightning does not strike in the same place twice generally…… Giving someone else the lead on where did our love go would hardly address all the positives that ross brought to the group beside her vocal on that song.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I’ve always understood the Andantes sang on No Matter What Sign You Are
    That was The Blackberries On NMWSYA. I think they sound fantastic!

Sources I checked say Andantes... Wikipedia. Will look around some more.

Songfacts website also says the Andantes

People assume it was them because of the sound and Mary said she’s not on it, but, Louvain said The Andantes weren’t on it and since everything on it was done in LA, I assumed it was The Blackberries. Then Deke Richards said how wonderful it was to have a The Blackberries in LA when they were working there and how good they sounded on NMWSYA - which convinced him to use them instead of The Andantes while in LA. they are terrific on it and all the TMITM tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    No. It was planned for Diana when they cut the track. Eddie Holland suggested Mary on it, but was out voted and they had Diana sing lower than she had been. The rest us history. Mary’s voice is not suited for pop music and definitely not crossover friendly in 1964. Also, she didn’t have the chops to handle HDH’S cramped lyrics......her banal reading on Come And Get These Memories two years after WDOLG proves that.
    ‘Over the years Mary was given plenty of chances to shine, but there was no industry interest. She’s an ideal balladeer, but would not have taken The Supremes where Ross did. She’s a consummate entertainer and wowed The Copa at 21 less than a year after her first national exposure. That’s remarkable.. Lightning does not strike in the same place twice generally…… Giving someone else the lead on where did our love go would hardly address all the positives that ross brought to the group beside her vocal on that song.

I think Mary would have been great as the lead on "Where Did Our Love Go?". H-D-H were not that confident in Diana Ross doing it that is why it was recorded the way it was....almost like a duet between Mary Wilson and Diana Ross. Smokey wanted Mary to sing more leads also, which is why when he got the chance to produce the Supremes, he made sure that Mary shared in the leads. Mary has great ability. Much more than "Diana Ross Only fans" give her credit for! She's still making money out there singing in concert! LOL!!!

People assume it was them because of the sound and Mary said she’s not on it, but, Louvain said The Andantes weren’t on it and since everything on it was done in LA, I assumed it was The Blackberries. Then Deke Richards said how wonderful it was to have a The Blackberries in LA when they were working there and how good they sounded on NMWSYA - which convinced him to use them instead of The Andantes while in LA. they are terrific on it and all the TMITM tracks.
    After the Original Supremes recordings, the backgrounds did not get good and interesting again until Jean Terrell joined. That's when producers used Mary Wilson and Cindy Birdsong on the recordings. The Andantes were good as fill ins or supporting the other group members in the background. They had a few bright spots on records and they were at their best on the Four Tops earlier recordings. The bottom line is no one, nowhere sounded better than Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard together on harmony!

That was The Blackberries On NMWSYA. I think they sound fantastic!
    I don't think most people know who the Blackberries are or what they sound like....soooooo. Who knows who is really singing on "No Matter What Sign You Are"?

Wrong again Marv. Mary Wilson has all of two bookings by the end of this year

Can you confirm of Mary’s 2 bookings

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Can you confirm of Mary’s 2 bookings

It's on her official website. In reality Mary, The FLOs, SOTS and Martha are struggling to get bookings. Martha mostly works in Europe. On the other hand Diana, Smokey, The Tempts work steadily

George S just told me it is definitely the Andantes on NMWSYA. If there is still doubt I will ask him to post here when he is able.

Many of Mary’s recent shows have not been posted on her website which seems stalled as someone else recently stated.

Many of Mary’s recent shows have not been posted on her website which seems stalled as someone else recently stated.
    You would have thought he would have "understood that". There is not a year that goes by where Mary is not performing 8-10 months or more than 80 shows a year.

People see what they want to or dont see what they don’t want to, as we know!

George S just told me it is definitely the Andantes on NMWSYA. If there is still doubt I will ask him to post here when he is able.

Please do and inform him of both Deke and Louvaines comments. She said she heard no matter what sign you are on the radio on in Detroit and wondered who was on it.

If they are both wrong and it is in fact The Andantes , it’s certainly a feather in their Because I think those background vocals are sensational

Well stated Marv per the Andantes! The backgrounds on Time to Break Down, Ladder, Stoned Love, Nathan Jones unison etc much more vibrant and exciting and Interesting!

The Andantes, I believe, are on all four of those as well. And thank you, Luke, for checking on the blackberries…… I know it’s just minutae , but I love discussing backgrounds - The Who and why..... if it wasn’t for George Solomon, we wouldn’t know that Mary and Florence are not on the single version of Stop - but are on the stereo mix. I would love to know why Mary is so prominently featured in the background on where did our love go…… Of course she sounds perfect on it, but did they try using both did it just happen that way by mistake…… Did they envision it that way to begin with?

Well stated Marv per the Andantes! The backgrounds on Time to Break Down, Ladder, Stoned Love, Nathan Jones unison etc much more vibrant and exciting and Interesting!
    Thanks Luke. Frank Wilson evidently agreed because he flat out stated that he only used the Supremes themselves to sing on his productions. Their voices are very nice and unique. You could always tell prior to that if it were the Andantes providing back up in the studio. I cannot even remotely imagine what "Come See About Me" sung by anyone else but Mary, Diane and Flo. Those voices were unique and made that record what it was.

The Andantes, I believe, are on all four of those as well. And thank you, Luke, for checking on the blackberries…… I know it’s just minutae , but I love discussing backgrounds - The Who and why..... if it wasn’t for George Solomon, we wouldn’t know that Mary and Florence are not on the single version of Stop - but are on the stereo mix. I would love to know why Mary is so prominently featured in the background on where did our love go…… Of course she sounds perfect on it, but did they try using both did it just happen that way by mistake…… Did they envision it that way to begin with?
    They are not, now go back to sleep! LOL! The people that were involved with those records have said that they were not. Jean Terrell said she only recorded with Mary and Cindy. Frank Wilson said he only used Mary and Cindy and would at times have Jean in the background with them. Mary has said that she is on ALL of those records and she and Cindy were excited about the new set up regarding the studio and that they were finally a GROUP again in the studio as well as on stage. SO! You can continue to believe and fantasize about whatever is you want to believe. Just keep in here in this "Sub-Forum". You wouldn't want to contaminate the rest of the World with all those things that are.....urrr not factual! How's that? LOL!!!!!!

"Oh and by the way. Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard are on the single version of "Stop In the Name of Love". Now you can continue........

Please do and inform him of both Deke and Louvaines comments. She said she heard no matter what sign you are on the radio on in Detroit and wondered who was on it.

If they are both wrong and it is in fact The Andantes , it’s certainly a feather in their Because I think those background vocals are sensational
    But you persist in believing that they were on all those Supremes records when Mary Wilson, who is in the studio says differently. You are amazing LOL!!!!

When I was with George and Andy recently they played some of the cuts on HDH expanded and showed how they can exactly tell who is singing on every cut. They can separate the voices and Motown kept exact written records -which they showed me of exactly who was in the studio singing for each recording. They know their stuff!

During the Diana years I wouldn't have replaced her with anyone else on the singles during the hits years, though I believe Mary would've done a great job on "Where Did Our Love Go", and Florence would've done great with "Itchin" and "Hangin On".

Florence should've done the entire lead to "House of the Rising Sun". Mary should've had "Yesterday". Mary should have had a lead on the Sam Cooke album. While I love Diana's vocals on "You Send Me" and "Wonderful World", I think Mary would've done them well. Flo would've done a better job with "A Change Is Gonna Come". She also would've done a better job with "Come and Get These Memories". While Diana's lead on "Funny How Time Slips Away" is one of my absolute favs, I think Florence would've done an equally great job on it. And as much as I love Diana's lead on "A Breath Taking Guy", I think Mary would've done even better job on it.

An extra note: while this isn't about lead singing, I would've switched harmony parts on Diana and Mary on "Good News". It's always gotten under my skin that the producer had Mary going top to Diana's bottom in the background. While Diana sounds just fine singing in a lower register, Mary is not in her wheelhouse shouting over Diana. I would've reversed that for a better sound. Luckily the song is mostly a Flo solo so the backgrounds only appear briefly anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    I would keep Diana's leads as they were, but have the actual Supremes singing backup on songs like "Love Child" and "Someday We'll Be Together". To me they are Supremes' songs in name only. Then there's the issue of songs where Marlene is probably singing backup instead of Flo.

Post-Diana I would have loved to hear Lynda sing lead on "Cheap Lovin'" and a multi-lead version of "Love Train".

During the MSC era I would have given "He's My Man", "Early Morning Love", and "This Is Why I Believe In You" to Scherrie. Mary shines on "Can We Love Again" and "You Turn Me Around", but the dance songs were really better suited to Scherrie.
    I totally agree with you regarding the MSC era. Scherrie would have torn it up on those three songs which were not ideally suited to Mary's more ballad orientated voice. It could have made an already thoroughly decent album into a potentially great one.

While this is more fan-fiction than reality, I always imagined what an acid fever dream of a performance "Up The Ladder To The Roof" would be with both Jean and Diana on lead vocals. While their voices are distinctive in their own rights, I always wondered what Diana would sound like singing the song and if it would work for her. That lead me to wonder what they would sound like at the same time.

Flo on Itchin’ would be the bomb.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I totally agree with you regarding the MSC era. Scherrie would have torn it up on those three songs which were not ideally suited to Mary's more ballad orientated voice. It could have made an already thoroughly decent album into a potentially great one.
    Nope! Those records would not have been anything without Mary Wilson. She gives them a spark. She sang full lead on He's My Man in my opinion.

When I was with George and Andy recently they played some of the cuts on HDH expanded and showed how they can exactly tell who is singing on every cut. They can separate the voices and Motown kept exact written records -which they showed me of exactly who was in the studio singing for each recording. They know their stuff!
    on the very early stuff, motown wasn't as good with keeping records. but you're right about their keeping track of stuff. if for no other reason than they had to pay the Andantes for their work.

will do this by era. and haven't figured out where they could have incorporated more three-part harmonies, little line trade offs [[like Breathtaking Guy) and shared lead lines. too many to list frankly

Pre WDOLG
    *let me go right way - Flo lead
    *Funny how time slips away - would have at least liked to try flo on this on. or mary too
    *Who's loving you - mary
    *Too Hot - Flo
    *Save me a star - mary
    *I'm giving you your freedom - mary

DMF post WDOLG
    *i wouldn't change any of the A side singles - except maybe Love Is Here and given each girl a solo speaking section
    *Going down for third time - flo
    *Johnny One Note - Flo
    *Remove this doubt - mary
    *Unchained melody - Mary or even flo
    *these boots are made for walking - flo
    *come and get these memories - would be interesting to hear flo's take on this
    *heatwave - again, wonder what flo would have done with it
    *what becomes of the broken hearted - mary
    *I'm gonna make you love me [[spoken part) - mary

DRATS
    *Will this be the day - mary
    *ode to billie joe - mary or cindy
    *STormy - mary or cindy
    *Beginning of the end - mary
    *Autumn leaves - mary or cindy

Jean era
    *Precious little things - Cindy
    *floy joy, touch and auto sun - all three would have been 3-way leads
    *Once in the morning - have M and L come in on third verse, maybe each taking a line and then doing some 3-part harmony
    *Love it came to me this time - jean is gorgeous here. such amazing control and restraint. but would be fascinating to hear M and C doing parts too
    *Bad Weather - Lynda
    *All I want or Cheap Lovin - Lynda

Scherrie era
    *He's my man, early morning, this is why - scherrie, most definitely
    *Can we love again - cindy
    *alt version of You Can't Stop A Girl in Love - cindy
    *We should be closer - Scherrie or susaye. love Mary's version but curious as to how these other two would handle a sensual ballad
    *Don't let my teardrops - scherrie, again she's a stunning vocalist. Mary rocks this one but would love to hear scherrie's attempt too

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    I'm working on a little animation for UTLTR and it has Cindy and Mary and Jean as the cabin crew on a space flight, while Diana and Flo are piloting the ship together. I'm having a lot of fun making it. I think of the song as being a sci fi gospel song in its feeling: I could easily imagine it being on something like the Jetsons or 2001 A Space Odyssey.

I really do agree with the folks who say Mary's voice is more suited to ballads then pop: it is a very deep husky voice that almost sounds etheral and as a young girl/woman incredibly mature. I would have loved to hear her take on Not a Juvenile Delinquint as thats my fave Frankie Lymon song. However I think she would have done well with pop songs written for her strength: energetic but long steady beaty lines and verses. Pretty Baby is my favourite Mary led lead, as it sounds haunting, but I really enjoy He's my Man and Early Morning Love however really show the versitility she had gained in her long years in service as a Supreme by that point. Breathtaking Guy and Where did our Love Go have the kind of steady, drawn out, taut lyrics that Mary excels in.

Florence, well one thing I like about two of my fave songs of hers, Buttered Popcorn and It Doesn't Matter How I say It, is how she makes very risque double entendres sound cute an innocent, so they come off as coy and tongue in cheek rather then salacious or pornographic. In Buttered Popcorn she's a bouncy, vibrant, naughty teenager in the prime of her youth and innocence, but in the latter song she's a sweet young mother who still has her youthful mischief and sense of fun. For that reason I agree with the poster who said Flo would have done well on Love is like an Itching in my Heart. Diana does well on it, as she always does, but I think Flo would have made it even bester. It's more suited for Flo's deep velvety growls and purrs then Diana's sweet dulcet coos. I would have also liked to hear Mary's vocals be more prominent, as I think with her deep voice it adds a natural support for Flo's range, while Diana's higher pitch serves as a nice contrast. When you have three diamonds to play with, there's oh so many ways they can sparkle....

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    *let me go right way - Flo lead
    *Funny how time slips away - would have at least liked to try flo on this on. or mary too
    *Who's loving you - mary
    *Too Hot - Flo
    *Save me a star - mary

*Remove this doubt - mary
    *these boots are made for walking - flo
    *come and get these memories - would be interesting to hear flo's take on this
    *heatwave - again, wonder what flo would have done with it
    These are great suggestions. I could definitely hear Flo doing "Too Hot" and "Right Way".

I agree with the poster who said Flo would have done well on Love is like an Itching in my Heart. Diana does well on it, as she always does, but I think Flo would have made it even bester. It's more suited for Flo's deep velvety growls and purrs then Diana's sweet dulcet coos.
    I think the released version of "Itchin" suited Diana as well as it would have Flo, but I think the early unreleased version is really the one that Florence would've ripped to shreds. That was a lost opportunity.

this isn't exactly an alt lead but certainly a missed opportunity.

for the R&H set, i'm dumbfounded that they didn't do a 3-part harmony version of Sing For Your Supper. it was written to be performed by a trio!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_for_Your_Supper

Everyone who sang is listed in the Motown Recording logs, not just the Andantes.