[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops - A Simple Game [[Motown 1972)

Time for some more Classic Motown Music! The Four Tops and "Simple Game"

Why don't I rememer this? Sounds like it should have gotten a lot of radio play! Nice video- great post!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Why don't I rememer this? Sounds like it should have gotten a lot of radio play! Nice video- great post!
    I remember hearing it more on Canadian radio than anywhere else when it came out.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I remember hearing it more on Canadian radio than anywhere else when it came out.
    I'll have to ask my brother if he remembers if this was played on Chicago radio. I remember the music from this time, but maybe this didn't really get the traction here as it did in other regions.

There was a good discussion of "Simple Game". and " So Deep Within You" here.

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...-A-Simple-Game

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    It was great. They recorded it with the Moody Blues in an impromptu session. I guess you don't have any Four Tops comp or the second Hitsville box. It's on those.

Motown could have, should have promoted this record. This is probably one of the reason why they left the label that year and went to ABC/Dunhill.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It was great. They recorded it with the Moody Blues in an impromptu session. I guess you don't have any Four Tops comp or the second Hitsville box. It's on those.
    I have all the main Four Tops anthology CDs and I know "A Simple Game" is on a few of them, but I gravitate more toward Motown 60's sound; I know it's criminal, but I'll end up giving only a quick listen to the 70's music unless it's something that brings back memories from childhood, something I remember hearing on the radio. "A Simple Game" didn't register at all, so that's why I was wondering about it getting radio play back when I was a kid.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 06-10-2018 at 05:54 PM.

A Simple Game was a big hit in the UK and rightly so. We had a different mix to the US version with a different edit towards the end of the song.

I might be wrong but I think it might have been kept off the Number 1 spot by Rod Stewart's Maggie May.

A great performance by the Tops and Moody Blues!

Listening to "A Simple Game" now, I think would have been a hit in the U.S. had it been released in the late 60s, after the assassinations, riots and general turmoil in America. It just has that anthem type feel to it. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    A Simple Game was a big hit in the UK and rightly so. We had a different mix to the US version with a different edit towards the end of the song.

I might be wrong but I think it might have been kept off the Number 1 spot by Rod Stewart's Maggie May.

A great performance by the Tops and Moody Blues!
    You are correct. 'Maggie May' was at #1 and 'Witch Queen of New Orleans' was at #2. It was their final Top 10 hit on Motown.

http://www.officialcharts.com/charts...19711031/7501/