[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    My recollection is that in one of the huge Supremes spats, Rick clashed with Ralph over Suzanne dePasse and asked to be banned ~ but it was instigated by one of "attendees at the bitter parties". Rick had previously asked that I clarify that he had been banned.

I wonder if Tommy Chapman is alive and I assume he will require money for this; I wonder if everyone other than Diana Ross would require money? And why on earth would she agree to be portrayed in this movie? She is the NAME they need in it unless it is going to be a "college, arty, boutique" type of movie; and maybe it is.

I dont think the usual unhappy people should turn this thread ugly but then, on Supremes threads it is the popular thing to do.

Chestersong ~ a breath of fresh air and clarity and sadly, truth. It is also getting to be very true about the Supremes in general.

Rick has had some interest generated here; I dont know if anything came of it; I haven't been told. But he obviously is highly enough regarded to be approached and he has managed to have other TV shows made.

So we've had successes by Randy, TopDiva, Rick, Ian Phillips, Tom Ahdratus [[sp?) and whoever wrote Diana's Dogs [[a good book).

topdiva1 Guest
    ^Tommy Chapman is long dead - as written in both Mary Wilson's and Tony Turner's books - although the way he died has been put in question - but he is dead.

I doubt Mary is regrettful nor ashamed about writing her books as she mentions and sells them at her concerts. And yes, suffice to say, she has plenty of exposure and publicity.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I've been riding your tail on your most recent posts...but I have slipped off with this one! Ouch! *smile*

It may be old news to the well informed but it can and probably will be regurgitated and made to look new and fresh yet again.......as you kind of suggested earlier......that's what PR is all about.

You are right - and it will be interesting to see just how Mary Wilson comes off in the Flo Ballard movie - I believe she will come off well - I do not believe even Flo would have wanted Diana or Mary to come out too badly. There are ways in which the truth can be told without malice and disgrace to those still living.

But sometimes the truth is better left unsaid.

Well said Topdiva1. But if this movie comes to fruition, the producers will prob let the influence of threat guide their motivations. Unless, as Marv suggested, "...as long as they tell the truth, the verifiable truth they have nothing to worry about. I also think it is a good idea to publicize whom; what parties are threating the film. Just put it out there so that people will know............".

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Well said Topdiva1. But if this movie comes to fruition, the producers will prob let the influence of threat guide their motivations. Unless, as Marv suggested, "...as long as they tell the truth, the verifiable truth they have nothing to worry about. I also think it is a good idea to publicize whom; what parties are threating the film. Just put it out there so that people will know............".

Exactly! Maybe now some of the people that were making fun understand what all the praying has been about........

Oh the impact of a potential movie.....church will make a comeback of sorts..........with admittance of sin and forgiveness in abundance......

topdiva1 Guest
    I was told that certainly Flo Ballard will want her story told in all of it's truth - as it pertained to her. Ms. Ballard's views of her own personal relationship with Motown and the other Supreme's is already well known through her recorded interviews with Mr. Benjaminson. Likel the script will not move away from Ms. Ballard's very own spoken words.

I have been told - by one who would know - that Ms. Ballard was a very forgiven person, like Ms. Wilson as well - and would not seek to harm anyone through the telling of her own story. But still would want the facts know - and the viewer can judge for themselves.

I was further informed that Ms. Ballard would likely be very upset, believe it or not, about some of the harsh things being said about her former co workers, Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, - although she felt she had treated her unfairly, in the end Flo Ballard had no bitterness against them. It was said that most of her bitterness was directed - to the very end towards Mr. Gordy, who Ms. Ballard felt was the real culprit behind her dismissal from The Supremes - and the subsequent legal mess and battles that followed.

The boss is always the guy that takes the hits but as we know now, he is also the guy that makes the big bucks ~ so taking the hits is fair.

topdiva1 Guest
    The search continues- and my source reports that - many of the people that knew Flo are more than happy to come forth with stories that they personally shared with Ms. Ballard. However, I was told that almost none of them want to do the legal depositions required, and sign that the story is indeed true, so that there stories can be used.

What the producers are looking for are intimate detailed stories of what Flo went through, or feelings she expressed AFTER her departure from The Supremes. Stories on her marriage, lifestyle, recordings, struggles, fears, hopes, and dreams.

This is a chance to be heard on Flo's behalf if you have verifiable information.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    The boss is always the guy that takes the hits but as we know now, he is also the guy that makes the big bucks ~ so taking the hits is fair.

Sometimes he is also the one that screws people over....................to be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    The search continues- and my source reports that - many of the people that knew Flo are more than happy to come forth with stories that they personally shared with Ms. Ballard. However, I was told that almost none of them want to do the legal depositions required, and sign that the story is indeed true, so that there stories can be used.

What the producers are looking for are intimate detailed stories of what Flo went through, or feelings she expressed AFTER her departure from The Supremes. Stories on her marriage, lifestyle, recordings, struggles, fears, hopes, and dreams.

This is a chance to be heard on Flo's behalf if you have verifiable information.
    That is key! Verifiable! They should pull up whatever Michigan State Welfare Office records from the period. Also any police reports that may still exist of the muggings Florence experienced.

The truth is that most often, you'll rarely ever see a totally honest depiction of anything in these movies & that's for several reasons.

For one thing, as we've seen in several movies from 'The Temptations' to 'Cadillac Records', Hollywood has he need to take creative license with these type of things. Sometimes the truth isn't glamorous enough, or may not provide the type of conclusion, nor storyline that the writer/producer wants to give us. So, most often, we get embellishments & outright twisting of known facts, ala. Etta recording 'I'd Rather Go Blind' in the studio on the same day that Mr. Chess died.

Another problem & likely the greatest impediment, is giving people information which may prove to be unflattering to others, without being able to PROVE what is being said. Telling the truth is not necessarily the problem...being able to PROVE it often is.

Beyond that, telling the truth can often be extremely hazardous to ones health. You never know exactly who you may piss off & unlike what many believe, it may not be the big names who will get mad or offended. It may be their friends or even fans who will take the greatest offense.

I believe that the records of years of fights on internet forums may bear this out.

Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    The truth is that most often, you'll rarely ever see a totally honest depiction of anything in these movies & that's for several reasons.

For one thing, as we've seen in several movies from 'The Temptations' to 'Cadillac Records', Hollywood has he need to take creative license with these type of things. Sometimes the truth isn't glamorous enough, or may not provide the type of conclusion, nor storyline that the writer/producer wants to give us. So, most often, we get embellishments & outright twisting of known facts, ala. Etta recording 'I'd Rather Go Blind' in the studio on the same day that Mr. Chess died.

Another problem & likely the greatest impediment, is giving people information which may prove to be unflattering to others, without being able to PROVE what is being said. Telling the truth is not necessarily the problem...being able to PROVE it often is.

Beyond that, telling the truth can often be extremely hazardous to ones health. You never know exactly who you may piss off & unlike what many believe, it may not be the big names who will get mad or offended. It may be their friends or even fans who will take the greatest offense.

I believe that the records of years of fights on internet forums may bear this out.
    Great post Juice!

Right Marv! In highly autocratic organizations, a coercive leader will use his or her positional power to abuse and control their subordinates; especially when there are limited options for other employment. These types of situations are generally are like a shooting star and have limited longevity, characterized by high stress levels. Therefore, a certain amount of reinvention and change needs to occur as an attempt to keep eveyone motivated. Not a good for fit for anyone except the favorites and even those individuals can turn on you.
    Last edited by detmotownguy; 02-17-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Thank you Marv

As for myself, if I were a person who achieved a modicum of fame, I wouldn't want there to be a one-sided bashfest against me. On the other hand, I wouldn't want anyone to paint a picture of perfection, for the simple reason that that's not true to my life.

What I WOULD want, is a fair & balanced story, warts & all.

If those warts are my warts & I'm guilty of whatever, the truth is that if I'm that concerned about what people think of me, then it was up to me to write the story of my life through my deeds & actions.

No matter how I'd try to hide my blemishes, what's done in the dark is always sure to come out into the light someday.

With that as truth, it would've been encumbent upon ME to write a flattering picture of my life based upon how I lived it.

I think that fair & balanced is the most that anyone should ask for or expect.

smark21 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is key! Verifiable! They should pull up whatever Michigan State Welfare Office records from the period. Also any police reports that may still exist of the muggings Florence experienced.
    Hopefully the Flo movie will have as many scenes as possible of Flo being victimized.

By the way at the Blondie Flo movie Facebook page, the producers Spirit of Life films have announced they have purchased the rights to make a bio-pic on the life of Madame CJ Walker.

If Flo was telling the truth and there are people who dont want to go through legal wrangles there is something I dont understand. We all know Mary and Diana in their own way tried to help Flo. Berry claims he offered her a solo contract, if none of Tommys relatives are around who is the person or people that will be hurt by having her story told?

Topdiva if what you are saying is true what could be said that would tarnish Motown or Berrys reputation unless he is hiding something? Flo admitted to others that she felt it was her fault that she was put out of the group. Im beginning to believe based on what you have said that someone who is associated with Motown or someone in Flos family would be hurt when it comes to their character. If there is no words that would hurt someone why are they afraid of something legal unless it means they will be sued if the individual does not agree with their portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanie View Post
    If Flo was telling the truth and there are people who dont want to go through legal wrangles there is something I dont understand. We all know Mary and Diana in their own way tried to help Flo. Berry claims he offered her a solo contract, if none of Tommys relatives are around who is the person or people that will be hurt by having her story told?

Topdiva if what you are saying is true what could be said that would tarnish Motown or Berrys reputation unless he is hiding something? Flo admitted to others that she felt it was her fault that she was put out of the group. Im beginning to believe based on what you have said that someone who is associated with Motown or someone in Flos family would be hurt when it comes to their character. If there is no words that would hurt someone why are they afraid of something legal unless it means they will be sued if the individual does not agree with their portrayal.
    Stephanie! hehehehehehe......!

miss_lish Guest

I think we should always take Tony Turner's view point against all others, including Florence's.

Stephanie:

Just playing Devil's Advocate again & offering a different perspective from things that I have learned and/or observed...

I can't claim to know what happened to anyone back then, but I've come to understand that in the case of many people, the ENTIRE truth can have a way of painting a very unflattering picture of all involved.

Including victims.

I've come to learn that in most situations like this, sadly, when it involves the truth, the whole truth & nothing but the truth, no one comes out unscathed, nor without blemish.

To paraphrase a great movie quote, "Most people can't handle the truth!" & sometimes the past should remain where it is...in the past. Especially when revelation will do nothing for anyone concerned. Honestly, I don't believe that anyone will gain anything from any 'expose', as the time for retribution has long since passed.

I believe that even if the worst suspicion were proven to be true, it would prove to be fruitless. That is, other than to give people something else to talk about, while being able to do absolutely nothing about the situation. And again, knowing 'truth' just isn't enough, you also had better be able to prove it.

I doubt that after all of these years, anyone has a 'smoking gun', as it's likely that if they had one, they'd have used it years ago when it might have benefitted them.

Just a thought, offered with the disclaimer that I could very well be wrong.

Juice
    If only I was as eloquent as you are in your writings. Here is my problem with this whole thing. Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The Temptations, and many others have had their stories told in movie form. The drug problems and with the Temps and personnel changes with other groups never tarnished the music, and the memories and we even wound up feeling sorry for these people. Lady Sings the Blues showed Ross portraying Billie Holliday [[drug addict) people dont remember her for that though. When we hear these names we dont think of them as druggies.

Now fast forward to Florence the worst thing about her situation is her alcohol and rape problem. Minor happening compared to people like Hendrix and Joplin [[not minor in her life) I mean the perception of her problem. I know this is not the first film to dwell on a musical figure or one who had problems. What I fail to understand is when the movie about the Temps was made I dont remember any legal papers going around or even some of these other films. Did anyone sue when the Frankie Lymon film was made [[although it was hilarious and far fetched)? Is it the image of the Supremes one is worried about? Sorry the books are already out about Motown and Mary admits she was no saint, we know Miss Ross wasnt and we know Flo wasnt. Even if Berry Gordy had an affair with Diana which everyone knows he did and had Rhonda we know the dirt already. The only thing I can see coming out which someone would have to prove is Motown had the mafia behind them which I dont know about or dont care about. Dreamgirl Movie and book by Mary, and stage play has been seen so if there was a tarnish on Ross its already been done by those who think the play, or the book, or the movie made her look bad [[oh thats right its not based on the Supremes..LOL)

What would be great is if the first hour focused on the group and the last hour on Flo or the last 30 minutes. Im thinking when it came to her ABC deal and her singles being squashed
    that might be the legal thing. Too much is already out about Motown although its been said Berry paid ABC not to promote her which I h

[[continuation) which I highly doubt. Flo was no threat to the Supremes at this point and that may be a conspiracy theory but it would not shock me. The record business then and now has always been very shady so it could have happened. People are not usually afraid to talk especially if something is true so whatever this legal thing is really gets my interest. I will bet you any amount of money if something in this movie is the one bit deragatory about Berry you will see Smokey on tv defending him.

[[continuation) which I highly doubt. Flo was no threat to the Supremes at this point and that may be a conspiracy theory but it would not shock me. The record business then and now has always been very shady so it could have happened. People are not usually afraid to talk especially if something is true so whatever this legal thing is really gets my interest. I will bet you any amount of money if something in this movie is the one bit deragatory about Berry you will see Smokey on tv defending him.
    Stephanie in regards to Smokey, that is a given. I believe that there is something or a situation that is key to telling this story in the this film that is verifiably true, yet it can still do harm to a person living or dead reputation. I think that may be one of the hurdles that the producers have to get around. I for one am not surprised by any of this because I knew it was coming!

One other thing. They cannot make it look as if Florence's being kicked out of the group and her ultimate demise was mostly her fault because that is not true. Soooooo.................

Stephanie:

I doubt very seriously that Florence had a whole lot to 'reveal' about anyone, nor do I believe that she would've been so malicious to do so if she had. Honestly, I don't know what nor how to feel anymore. The truth is that in many cases, I've learned far more than I ever wanted to about a lot of things. If there were a way for someone to get closure by revealing truths [[which in the final analysis may or not be 'truth' at all), perhaps that might be a good thing.

In this case, regardless of any revelatory information, I simply see no closure possible. Flo has been long gone & no matter what is said, no matter what comes out [[if anything), none of that will help Florence in the least.

I fear that when all is said & done, the only ones that revelation will serve, are those who need grist for the mill who enjoy holding on to these types of things & discussing them. Other than that, considering that these 'offenses' occurred more than 40 years ago, I simply don't see where disclosure will serve anyone, that is, other than those who'd simply like to be able to say 'I told you so!'.

I suspect that the statute of limitation has long since passed & I'm honestly unsure of the benefits to be gained by unveiling these events of long ago. Personally, I believe that if anyone was so grieved by anything, they should've spoken a long time ago. Hell, so many people whom were involved or had intimate knowledge may have long since passed.

Also to be considered is that time has a funny way of changing reality. I know of several people who tell crowds how they've had number one records & have sold millions, when the truth is that their records went cardboard & the only place that their records were number one was in their living rooms. But they've told themselves these things for so long that they have come to believe it. Time tends to do that to some folks.

But the truth is that 'reality' of some people's lives isn't necessarily the way that things actually were.

As I said, I'm just not sure how to feel about this anymore.

Didn't Florence say something the effect to BG, "You better watch out, I know all about you". Not an exact quote, but I cannnot remember what book that came from. So maybe there are a few "smoking guns", but I highly doubt anything controversial will be used.

But still thinking about Stepahnie's point:"People are not usually afraid to talk especially if something is true so whatever this legal thing is really gets my interest". Stephanie, I might also suggest that Diane's image was tarnsihed long before Mary's diary was published and Dreamgirl's, whether it be the play or the movie. When I was a college co-op student working summers at one of the big three in Detroit, there was much negative talk about her, however still the star at that time.

topdiva1 Guest

Just picture what has been said - thought - gossiped - and reported about the Flo Ballard story all these years. If any of that, as we know it, and more is true - would you really want it made into a film?

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Didn't Florence say something the effect to BG, "You better watch out, I know all about you". Not an exact quote, but I cannnot remember what book that came from. So maybe there are a few "smoking guns", but I highly doubt anything controversial will be used.

But still thinking about Stepahnie's point:"People are not usually afraid to talk especially if something is true so whatever this legal thing is really gets my interest". Stephanie, I might also suggest that Diane's image was tarnsihed long before Mary's diary was published and Dreamgirl's, whether it be the play or the movie. When I was a college co-op student working summers at one of the big three in Detroit, there was much negative talk about her, however still the star at that time.

Diana Ross was not liked by many even before Flo Ballard was ousted from the Supremes, just as she was adored by many more. The drama around her has made and kept her a star - along with - of course her hard work, talent, and professionalism.

Diana Ross was able to move forward to great heights dispite the fact that she was not loved by all. What strength that must have taken.

Now after all these years to have the Flo Ballard story drug back up on film - wheter it is heavily edited or not - Ross and many others cannot be pleased. No matter what form this Flo Ballard movie finally takes - many in her past are not happy that it may see the light of day - although publicly they will "Put On A Happy Face".

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by juicefree20 View Post
    Stephanie:

I doubt very seriously that Florence had a whole lot to 'reveal' about anyone, nor do I believe that she would've been so malicious to do so if she had. Honestly, I don't know what nor how to feel anymore. The truth is that in many cases, I've learned far more than I ever wanted to about a lot of things. If there were a way for someone to get closure by revealing truths [[which in the final analysis may or not be 'truth' at all), perhaps that might be a good thing.

In this case, regardless of any revelatory information, I simply see no closure possible. Flo has been long gone & no matter what is said, no matter what comes out [[if anything), none of that will help Florence in the least.

I fear that when all is said & done, the only ones that revelation will serve, are those who need grist for the mill who enjoy holding on to these types of things & discussing them. Other than that, considering that these 'offenses' occurred more than 40 years ago, I simply don't see where disclosure will serve anyone, that is, other than those who'd simply like to be able to say 'I told you so!'.

I suspect that the statute of limitation has long since passed & I'm honestly unsure of the benefits to be gained by unveiling these events of long ago. Personally, I believe that if anyone was so grieved by anything, they should've spoken a long time ago. Hell, so many people whom were involved or had intimate knowledge may have long since passed.

Also to be considered is that time has a funny way of changing reality. I know of several people who tell crowds how they've had number one records & have sold millions, when the truth is that their records went cardboard & the only place that their records were number one was in their living rooms. But they've told themselves these things for so long that they have come to believe it. Time tends to do that to some folks.

But the truth is that 'reality' of some people's lives isn't necessarily the way that things actually were.

As I said, I'm just not sure how to feel about this anymore.

WOW ALL of your lastest post have been FABULOUS and make a whole lot of sense. Something that is needed here.

topdiva1 Guest

Those two share a great love.

topdiva1 Guest
    The producers are "casting" now - look for perhaps Kelly Rowland as Diana Ross - although she is a much better Mary Wilson look a like.