[REMOVE ADS]

Gwen Owens and Motown South

She was lead singer on a great song Angel in your arms by HOT. I read she was signed to Motown South but then dropped. I imagine this has been discussed about Motown South but I don’t really remember. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    She was lead singer on a great song Angel in your arms by HOT. I read she was signed to Motown South but then dropped. I imagine this has been discussed about Motown South but I don’t really remember. Anyone?
    I remember Hot and I remember that song from the Summer of 1977.

From Discogs

In the early 70’s Terry Woodford and Clayton Ivey signed Gwen Owens up to a production contract. At the time the pair had the idea to start up a ‘Motown South’ organization and so were negotiating with Motown. Thus in 1972, Gwen found herself as a Motown artist but recording down in Muscle Shoals with Terry Woodford and Clayton Ivey. They committed 5 songs to tape but Motown decided to pass on them all. With no plans to release any of her cuts, Motown released Gwen from her contract but Terry Woodford shopped her master tapes around. They soon secured a deal with Casablanca Records and the label released "You Better Watch Out / Everybody Needs Love" in 1973.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    From Discogs

In the early 70’s Terry Woodford and Clayton Ivey signed Gwen Owens up to a production contract. At the time the pair had the idea to start up a ‘Motown South’ organization and so were negotiating with Motown. Thus in 1972, Gwen found herself as a Motown artist but recording down in Muscle Shoals with Terry Woodford and Clayton Ivey. They committed 5 songs to tape but Motown decided to pass on them all. With no plans to release any of her cuts, Motown released Gwen from her contract but Terry Woodford shopped her master tapes around. They soon secured a deal with Casablanca Records and the label released "You Better Watch Out / Everybody Needs Love" in 1973.
    That is great information. Thank you mysterysinger.

Here is "Angel In Your Arms" from 1977. I noticed that a lot of female Country singers covered it later on:

Hi!

For me the ultimate soul version was cut by Millie Jackson, also in 1977:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGVGrCng-v0

Best regards
    Heikki

I'm surprised that no one has thought to do a comp on the group Hot. There must be enough material to do one, and I would surely buy it.

Interestingly Woodford and Ivey had worked on the Supremes album in 1975. Can you imagine if they had got that song?

Interestingly Woodford and Ivey had worked on the Supremes album in 1975. Can you imagine if they had got that song?
    That song would have been perfect for them. I can hear Scherrie Payne singing it.

Yes exactly!

Actually only two of the ladies were present and sung at the session! Great voices and arrangement! I wonder if Motown was negotiating with any other artists for Motown South.

I had the privilege of playing bass on some of Gwen Owens 60's tracks as a member of the Soul Delegates musical ensemble [[sort of a Jr Funk Brothers collaboration), including perhaps her most popular single and Northern Soul hit... https://youtu.be/EZAwPnGOJPE

Great Stu! A quarter of a million views!

Fascinating interview with her about the music business...she should’ve been in 20 feet from stardom!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CIXhsk5RE58&t=672s

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    I had the privilege of playing bass on some of Gwen Owens 60's tracks as a member of the Soul Delegates musical ensemble [[sort of a Jr Funk Brothers collaboration), including perhaps her most popular single and Northern Soul hit... https://youtu.be/EZAwPnGOJPE
    This is news to me....pleasant news! Thanks Stu

I didn't know she was from Detroit until now.

Nope. Me neither. She sure has extensive experience and backing a lot of famous singers!

Nope. Me neither. She sure has extensive experience and backing a lot of famous singers!
    She is a very good singer. From the interview she still sings in church and manages her children who are working on a show business career.

Sadly Cathy of the group has passed.

Sadly Cathy of the group has passed.
    I'm sorry, which lady was Cathy?

Caucasian memeber . Her former husband posted on YouTube Angel In Your Arms comments.

Caucasian memeber . Her former husband posted on YouTube Angel In Your Arms comments.
    Ah, she was pretty! I remember she had that 70s look down! Rest in peace Cathy.

To me, Hot was the calmer version of Stargard that came out later in that year.