[REMOVE ADS]

alanbill1074 Guest

Commodores Nightshift Album

Any love for this? It's one of my favourite albums. Exquisite production, and generally strong material with several single worthy tracks not picked for release. I literally just pitched it to a reissue label last week for an expanded version and then a 3 disc Commodores collection, Collected, came out in Holland, with the 7" and 12" mixes on. Well worth checking out for a lot of rare edits.

I thought Janet was an excellent single that did hardly anything. Possibly would have done better if it had been released instead of Animal Instinct, which needed a bit of a remix I think.

I actually prefer Walter and JD as lead singers to the Richie era *gasp*. I wish they'd been bigger. United was another good album, but wasn't thrilled with Rock Solid.

You know I've never listened to the whole album. I have heard "Janet" and the title track of course.

I have this album and of course love "Nightshift", but couldn't name you another track from it! I remember checking out the LP ages ago and liking it, but I need to do so again.

alanbill1074 Guest
    It's well worth a listen. I think because it's 80's it gets neglected, but it's a very consistent, quality, record. I've got several CD copies, the LP and the hi res download.

Here is a link to the new Commodores collection:

https://www.discogs.com/Commodores-C...lease/12092554

alanbill1074 Guest
    I just love Janet so much. I wish there had been an extended version, or even an instrumental so I couldn't create one. Shame there's no video either.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    I just love Janet so much. I wish there had been an extended version, or even an instrumental so I couldn't create one. Shame there's no video either.
    "Janet" did get good radio airplay in Philadelphia.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    "Janet" did get good radio airplay in Philadelphia.
    I don't think I ever heard it on UK radio. I've always thought that your second single should always be similar in vibe to your first from an album, if it was a hit. Then do something different with the third one. So they were the wrong way round IMO. Third singles after a flop don't generally get much support over here.

I don't think I ever heard it on UK radio. I've always thought that your second single should always be similar in vibe to your first from an album, if it was a hit. Then do something different with the third one. So they were the wrong way round IMO. Third singles after a flop don't generally get much support over here.
    Well in this particular case of the Commodores and their huge hit "Nightshift", a tribute to famous deceased R&B singers, it would have been very difficult to come up with a follow up similar to it without it being obvious that they were exploiting the deceased and the public's memory and love of those individuals. "Nightshit" came off as being truly heartfelt.

alanbill1074 Guest
    True, but Janet was probably closer in 'vibe'. Nightshift itself was definitely a unique recording. The Woman In My Life from the album is another standout that could've done well in the Lionel Richie vein.

What was Lionel Richie's last official single with the Commodores?

alanbill1074 Guest
    I think it was Oh No.

I think it was Oh No.
    That seems to be the last one I remember too. Thanks Alanbill1074.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Well in this particular case of the Commodores and their huge hit "Nightshift", a tribute to famous deceased R&B singers, it would have been very difficult to come up with a follow up similar to it without it being obvious that they were exploiting the deceased and the public's memory and love of those individuals. "Nightshit" came off as being truly heartfelt.
    Marvin [[reverb) hey what you doing now... Jackie [[reverb) you set the world on fire.

In the UK, I heard Janet on Robbie Vincent's soul show that used to be on BBC radio on Sunday evening. I bought the album on the strength of it. Personally, it's my favourite Commodores track. Animal Instinct wasn't bad and I believe it got a single release without doing much and the title track speaks for itself. Janet was the killer for me though

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    In the UK, I heard Janet on Robbie Vincent's soul show that used to be on BBC radio on Sunday evening. I bought the album on the strength of it. Personally, it's my favourite Commodores track. Animal Instinct wasn't bad and I believe it got a single release without doing much and the title track speaks for itself. Janet was the killer for me though
    I also heard it on Robbie's show. I loved that song, but hated Animal Instinct.

True, but Janet was probably closer in 'vibe'. Nightshift itself was definitely a unique recording. The Woman In My Life from the album is another standout that could've done well in the Lionel Richie vein.
    I actually preferred Stevie Wood's version of Woman in my life. I think it was the lead single and title track of his 2nd album. I thought it had a similar vibe to his pop/soul hit Steal the night. Either way it is a great song.

I really didn't follow the Commodores after L R left.
    I agree Nightshift is a very good album.
    Could someone who knows their music rate the following albums

Commodore 13 1983
    United 1986
    Rock Solid 1988
    No tricks 1993

use A B C D F as a rating

thanks

edafan

Commodore 13 1983 - C - Bit of a wilderness album, lacking a strong single and the production sounds 2 years out of date. Bland but pleasant
    United 1986 - B - Not as good as Nightshift, but has a very strong Side One, with a couple of great singles, albeit not remembered now. Drifts a bit on Side Two
    Rock Solid 1988 - D - Like Workin’ Overtime, they tried to force themselves into contemporary styles that just didn’t suit them. Nothing memorable on it
    No tricks 1993 - C - Fairly solid effort given it was probably self financed

Quote Originally Posted by alanconnor_1 View Post
    Commodore 13 1983 - C - Bit of a wilderness album, lacking a strong single and the production sounds 2 years out of date. Bland but pleasant
    United 1986 - B - Not as good as Nightshift, but has a very strong Side One, with a couple of great singles, albeit not remembered now. Drifts a bit on Side Two
    Rock Solid 1988 - D - Like Workin’ Overtime, they tried to force themselves into contemporary styles that just didn’t suit them. Nothing memorable on it
    No tricks 1993 - C - Fairly solid effort given it was probably self financed
    thanks for the info

edafan