[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1

    My world is empty without you full vocals revisited

    I pulled out my i hear a symphony expanded 2 cd set and meant t post how wonderful it is to hear t alternate track of mwiewu with mary snd flos bcg vocals turned up the way t record should have been released in 1966. T released version sounds like a diana ross solo record. The only complaint about t alternate is that t vocals of m f are repeated 7 times at t conclusion a little overkill, after three repeats t mixing would have sufficed but its a great and more plessing track to my ears.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I pulled out my i hear a symphony expanded 2 cd set and meant t post how wonderful it is to hear t alternate track of mwiewu with mary snd flos bcg vocals turned up the way t record should have been released in 1966. T released version sounds like a diana ross solo record. The only complaint about t alternate is that t vocals of m f are repeated 7 times at t conclusion a little overkill, after three repeats t mixing would have sufficed but its a great and more plessing track to my ears.
    Fran there was a clip on Youtube on the song with the backing vocals turned up. I will see if I can find it.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I pulled out my i hear a symphony expanded 2 cd set and meant t post how wonderful it is to hear t alternate track of mwiewu with mary snd flos bcg vocals turned up the way t record should have been released in 1966. T released version sounds like a diana ross solo record. The only complaint about t alternate is that t vocals of m f are repeated 7 times at t conclusion a little overkill, after three repeats t mixing would have sufficed but its a great and more plessing track to my ears.
    You reminded me of something about those "buried" background vocals on MWIEWU. I wonder if there was so fallout from the fans about that because the other night I was listening to the Supremes' Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland album and it struck me how the background vocals were fairly prominent throughout that LP. I hadn't thought much about it until recently. Now your post reminded me of that. I do remember wondering why those bg's were so low when I first heard MWIEWU.

  4. #4
    Here we are :


  5. #5
    Listening to this song now all these years later, it was rather sophisticated. There was a lot going on in it.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    You reminded me of something about those "buried" background vocals on MWIEWU. I wonder if there was so fallout from the fans about that because the other night I was listening to the Supremes' Sing Holland-Dozier-Holland album and it struck me how the background vocals were fairly prominent throughout that LP. I hadn't thought much about it until recently. Now your post reminded me of that. I do remember wondering why those bg's were so low when I first heard MWIEWU.
    Strange, but there was a version they played on local radio when this record came out and you could hear the backgrounds just fine ,but when you played it from the album at home, the backgrounds were turned down very low.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Strange, but there was a version they played on local radio when this record came out and you could hear the backgrounds just fine ,but when you played it from the album at home, the backgrounds were turned down very low.
    Marv, I wonder if it was because radio stations were using some sort of compressors in the audio chain. I'm not really all that technical, but I'm a musician and a buddy told me about getting a compressor effects pedal and using it on my recordings. It's incredible what compression will do. If I crank up the levels on my effects pedal and play a song through it, it will sort of "level" things out so that whatever is the loudest in the mix recedes a bit while whatever is a bit lower in the mix will come more to the fore. I actually took the Four Tops "Yesterday's Dreams" cd and dubbed it onto another cd using the compressor and there were tunes where I was hearing things much clearer than I had before. On the song "Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind" the backgrounds became much more audible. Maybe that's what you were experiencing when you heard "My World" on the radio.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Here we are :

    Thanks for posting this! Very interesting to hear all three singing the title line in unison on the choruses throughout the song. I don't think I had noticed or heard that on the album- at least until the end of the song.

  9. #9
    I've mentioned this sometime back that I feel the structure of "My World is Empty Without You" seems more of a solo song than a group song. The composition/production itself is outstanding and I realize that at the time HDH felt it was too good not to give it to the Supremes as opposed to a Motown solo artist. The background harmony parts, NOT THE BACKGROUND VOCALS THEMSELVES, really add nothing to the song. That is my musical opinion.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    Marv, I wonder if it was because radio stations were using some sort of compressors in the audio chain. I'm not really all that technical, but I'm a musician and a buddy told me about getting a compressor effects pedal and using it on my recordings. It's incredible what compression will do. If I crank up the levels on my effects pedal and play a song through it, it will sort of "level" things out so that whatever is the loudest in the mix recedes a bit while whatever is a bit lower in the mix will come more to the fore. I actually took the Four Tops "Yesterday's Dreams" cd and dubbed it onto another cd using the compressor and there were tunes where I was hearing things much clearer than I had before. On the song "Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind" the backgrounds became much more audible. Maybe that's what you were experiencing when you heard "My World" on the radio.
    Now that makes a lot of sense and thank you! I knew and liked the background very much, so it was instantly noticeable to me even as a kid that something had changed listening to it on home stereo as a opposed to what I would hear on the radio. I'd love to hear what you did with the Four Tops. If you ever upload it on say Youtube, please let me know.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I've mentioned this sometime back that I feel the structure of "My World is Empty Without You" seems more of a solo song than a group song. The composition/production itself is outstanding and I realize that at the time HDH felt it was too good not to give it to the Supremes as opposed to a Motown solo artist. The background harmony parts, NOT THE BACKGROUND VOCALS THEMSELVES, really add nothing to the song. That is my musical opinion.
    The background harmony parts egg on the lead vocal, they give the song even more urgency to me. Both Diane and Mary sing it in their shows today complete with strong backing vocals.

  12. #12
    Wait til HDH expanded comes out!

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The background harmony parts egg on the lead vocal, they give the song even more urgency to me. Both Diane and Mary sing it in their shows today complete with strong backing vocals.
    I’ve never heard a version by Mary or DianA (I don’t know her personally) in which the background vocal line was not distracting. It’s all about our individual perceptions.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Now that makes a lot of sense and thank you! I knew and liked the background very much, so it was instantly noticeable to me even as a kid that something had changed listening to it on home stereo as a opposed to what I would hear on the radio. I'd love to hear what you did with the Four Tops. If you ever upload it on say Youtube, please let me know.
    I'll be happy to and if you want, I can always dub a copy for you as well. I always felt the backgrounds were kinda buried on "Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind" so I wanted to work with it and see if I couldn't bring them out more. I also did the same thing with the Marvelettes "In Full Bloom Album" and the compression brought out the backing vocals of Katherine and Ann a bit more prominently on a few of the songs to feature both The Andantes and the actual Marvelettes. Let me know if you'd like a copy of those and I'll work on getting it to you.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I'll be happy to and if you want, I can always dub a copy for you as well. I always felt the backgrounds were kinda buried on "Can't Seem To Get You Out Of My Mind" so I wanted to work with it and see if I couldn't bring them out more. I also did the same thing with the Marvelettes "In Full Bloom Album" and the compression brought out the backing vocals of Katherine and Ann a bit more prominently on a few of the songs to feature both The Andantes and the actual Marvelettes. Let me know if you'd like a copy of those and I'll work on getting it to you.
    WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance, that is so very nice of you. I most definitely would like that, but I also do not want to put you to any trouble. I will send you a private message. Thank you very much!

    Marv

  16. #16
    Admittedly, I own NO expanded edition releases. The only expanded edition in my house is me! Seriously though, the difference between this version and the originally released version is night and day!! Wow!!!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Admittedly, I own NO expanded edition releases. The only expanded edition in my house is me! Seriously though, the difference between this version and the originally released version is night and day!! Wow!!!

    lockhartgary! hehehehehehehehehe!!!!!

  18. #18
    They didn't do much with the backgrounds on this... I always felt that song was made for a soloist. Like I could see Marvin or Stevie doing it but now it's hard to imagine them doing it after Diana...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    They didn't do much with the backgrounds on this... I always felt that song was made for a soloist. Like I could see Marvin or Stevie doing it but now it's hard to imagine them doing it after Diana...

    I like how Mary does it:


  20. #20
    Someone took the Mary video and combined it with Diana and Flo


  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Someone took the Mary video and combined it with Diana and Flo

    I remember this. I thought it was pretty creative at the time. Thanks Milven

  22. #22
    while i admit on MWIEWY the backgrounds are quite low in the mix, they do provide a nice effect. They definitely create a more haunting atmosphere for the song. Compare the vinyl version to the live one. and then compare to Jean or Scherrie's live version in the 70s. three totally different interpretations of this song.

    it's a totally heartbreaking lyric, if you simply read the lead lines. and the musical track perfectly captured this mood. To have M and F piping along too loudly frankly would have negatively impacted the overall song. they're almost like ghosts or the crying voices inside diana's head reminding her of the gloom and loneliness

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    while i admit on MWIEWY the backgrounds are quite low in the mix, they do provide a nice effect. They definitely create a more haunting atmosphere for the song. Compare the vinyl version to the live one. and then compare to Jean or Scherrie's live version in the 70s. three totally different interpretations of this song.

    it's a totally heartbreaking lyric, if you simply read the lead lines. and the musical track perfectly captured this mood. To have M and F piping along too loudly frankly would have negatively impacted the overall song. they're almost like ghosts or the crying voices inside diana's head reminding her of the gloom and loneliness
    Great observation and description Sup_fan.

  24. #24
    My World Is Empty is also far from the only song where Motown basically hid the backgrounds. You hardly hear the Temptations for example on All I Need in some versions. The stereo version in "Gold"/"My Girl: The Very Best Of..." shows the vocals from Eddie, Otis, Melvin and Paul more clearly, in the mono you BARELY hear them.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    while i admit on MWIEWY the backgrounds are quite low in the mix, they do provide a nice effect. They definitely create a more haunting atmosphere for the song. Compare the vinyl version to the live one. and then compare to Jean or Scherrie's live version in the 70s. three totally different interpretations of this song.

    it's a totally heartbreaking lyric, if you simply read the lead lines. and the musical track perfectly captured this mood. To have M and F piping along too loudly frankly would have negatively impacted the overall song. they're almost like ghosts or the crying voices inside diana's head reminding her of the gloom and loneliness
    That's a very interesting way to look at the song and you're right. It's pretty dark even for a Motown song in those days... I always hated how it sounded live. I get that they had to perform it but I never loved the arrangement.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.