[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Don't think Diana was at fault for how The Wiz turned out. Turns out Sidney Lumet stepped over his boundaries trying to produce a BLACK musical..."

Sidney Lumet was the director.
    What "boundaries" are you trying to suggest?

Actually the way THE WIZ turned out lies directly at Diana's feet. Once she muscled her way into the leading role , the intended director, John Badham , no longer wanted anything to do with the project and bowed out thus taking the film's original concepts with him. He apparently wanted nothing to do with a film centered around a 30 something year-old woman playing the part of a 24-year-old teacher that' replaces the central part intended to be about a young girl .

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    "Don't think Diana was at fault for how The Wiz turned out. Turns out Sidney Lumet stepped over his boundaries trying to produce a BLACK musical..."

Sidney Lumet was the director.
    What "boundaries" are you trying to suggest?

Actually the way THE WIZ turned out lies directly at Diana's feet. Once she muscled her way into the leading role , the intended director, John Badham , no longer wanted anything to do with the project and bowed out thus taking the film's original concepts with him. He apparently wanted nothing to do with a film centered around a 30 something year-old woman playing the part of a 24-year-old teacher that' replaces the central part intended to be about a young girl .
    Back at that time, we did not have the internet of course, many people wrote into different publications complaining about the casting of Diana Ross in the Wiz. This was a whole year before they began shooting that it was announced in Jet Magazine that Miss Ross got the part. Even Mr. Gordy had reservations about her playing Dorothy. She said she had a dream one night that she WAS Dorothy and that she had to play the part. LOL! Now this was the biggest budget black film in history up to that point. The estimated cost was around $33 million to produce it. Mr. Gordy had more than a few reasons to be nervous, but he relented and let Ross do the part. This was a grown woman with 3 kids and had been in the public eye going on 15 years by that time. I do not recall reading that anyone believing that she would be good for the role.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Don't think Diana was at fault for how The Wiz turned out. Turns out Sidney Lumet stepped over his boundaries trying to produce a BLACK musical...

Had some things have been different like the cinematography and special effects, it would've turned out to be a better film.

That said, ONE thing the film had going for it was the music. Everyone - except Nipsey Russell lmao - was brilliant with the songs they sang.

Diana slayed "Home". And MJ's studio version of You Can't Win remains an underrated masterpiece in the MJ canon:

BUT I still love that part where things changed colors and people reacted according to the color change. The film version of "The Wiz" is pretty campy and with campy films, that's all you need, forget everything else. Everything can go wrong but as long as if it has something campy in it, it's forgiven. That seems to be the case with "The Wiz".

Plus Luther's "Everybody Rejoice [[Brand New Day)" shows that early on before he became Luther Vandross, he was already a force to be reckoned with.
    Even though Nipsey clearly isn't a vocalist [[I wonder why they didn't get a comic who could sing to do the role?) he managed both of his songs very well. "What Would I Do" is fantastic and Nipsey's lack of vocal skills doesn't detract. Makes me wonder what the song would've turned into had a real singer done it. Can you imagine Luther singing this? Woo...

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Back at that time, we did not have the internet of course, many people wrote into different publications complaining about the casting of Diana Ross in the Wiz. This was a whole year before they began shooting that it was announced in Jet Magazine that Miss Ross got the part. Even Mr. Gordy had reservations about her playing Dorothy. She said she had a dream one night that she WAS Dorothy and that she had to play the part. LOL! Now this was the biggest budget black film in history up to that point. The estimated cost was around $33 million to produce it. Mr. Gordy had more than a few reasons to be nervous, but he relented and let Ross do the part. This was a grown woman with 3 kids and had been in the public eye going on 15 years by that time. I do not recall reading that anyone believing that she would be good for the role.
    The film did not have a 33 million dollar budget until they hired Diana Ross. Universal would have never financed the film for that amount if it weren't for the star power of Diana Ross. In fact they paid her a million dollars to do the film making her one of the highest paid actress of the time.
    Without Diana it was going to be a low budget film.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    The film did not have a 33 million dollar budget until they hired Diana Ross. Universal would have never financed the film for that amount if it weren't for the star power of Diana Ross. In fact they paid her a million dollars to do the film making her one of the highest paid actress of the time.
    Initially, Universal was so excited about the film's prospects that they did not set a budget for production. Costs went up to $ 33 million so stop lying.........

Here they report production costs of $ 24 million. By the time they wrapped, Jet Magazine gave the final figure of $33 million so stop with the lying please:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/71780...know-about-wiz

12 Things You Might Not Know About 'The Wiz' | Mental Floss
    mentalfloss.com/article/71780/12-things-you-might-not-know-about-wiz

11. AT THE TIME, ITS 1978 FILM ADAPTATION WAS THE MOST EXPENSIVE MOVIE MUSICAL EVER MADE. The film, which cost $24 million, bombed at the box office. 12. MICHAEL JACKSON’S SCARECROW MAKEUP TOOK FOUR HOURS TO APPLY.

It was one of the biggest duds of the decade. So much for Diana Ross' star power. LOL!

Marv:
    "She said she had a dream one night that she WAS Dorothy and that she had to play the part. LOL! "

I had a dream once that I was Long Dong Silver but that still didn't qualify me for the part!!

😝LOL!!!!

Initially, Universal was so excited about the film's prospects that they did not set a budget for production. Costs went up to $ 33 million so stop lying.........
    Marv. Why do you call everyone a liar that don't agree with you? You really need help. The 24 million dollar budget was given by Universal after they secured Diana Ross and that is a fact!

It was one of the biggest duds of the decade. So much for Diana Ross' star power. LOL!
    I am not arguing with you. Yes it did flop at the box office. And I guess that makes you very happy! That is very sad..
    But it is now a cult classic and has been release on DVD several times as well as BlueRay. It is now appreciated by many. And I know that kills you. Also Diana was paid a million dollars! Lol
    Last edited by vgalindo; 06-11-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Marv:
    "She said she had a dream one night that she WAS Dorothy and that she had to play the part. LOL! "

I had a dream once that I was Long Dong Silver but that still didn't qualify me for the part!!

��LOL!!!!
    But you must always.........."Dare to Dream!" LOL!!!!

I am not arguing with you. Yes it did flop at the box office. And I guess that makes you very happy! That is very sad..
    But it is now a cult classic and has been release on DVD several times as well as BlueRay. It is now appreciated by many. And I know that kills you. Also Diana was paid a million dollars! Lol
    The wiz has now made money for all involved and Miss Ross gets some more money from it each time it plays on tv

She also wears her perfume she made several million dollars off of whenever she sits and watches it - rarely but happened once

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Even though Nipsey clearly isn't a vocalist [[I wonder why they didn't get a comic who could sing to do the role?) he managed both of his songs very well. "What Would I Do" is fantastic and Nipsey's lack of vocal skills doesn't detract. Makes me wonder what the song would've turned into had a real singer done it. Can you imagine Luther singing this? Woo...
    Tiger Haynes played the Tin Man in the original version of the Wiz. I think he does a better job of those songs than Nipsey. JMHO.

Marv. Why do you call everyone a liar that don't agree with you? You really need help. The 24 million dollar budget was given by Universal after they secured Diana Ross and that is a fact!
    I don't call everyone a liar. I only point it out when it is clear that you are willful in lying. It's about the truth. It is not about agreeing with me, nor is that important. The truth is! You see when you're clearly lying, you are not the only one that knows that you are lying. Do not add anything to it and do not take anything away from it, the truth. The Wiz ran over budget and it ran over $30 million. $33 million is the number that keeps coming back to me from 40 years ago now. I thank God I still have an excellent memory, because this is where I read about the $33 million 40 years ago!

Jet Magazine, Nov.16, 1978

Name:  The Wiz budget.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  99.7 KB

Read the article I just posted from Jet Magazine, where I got the number $33 million. Do not apologize for lying to me. You see when someone lies to me, I loose respect for them, so anything you say to me from that point on, I tend to not believe. Here is also the link to the article:

https://books.google.com/books?id=gL...%20Wiz&f=false

You can read. You read where I said it was $33 million, yet you persist in lying just to keep up an argument. A good person, an intelligent person would simply respond with "I'm sorry, I had inaccurate information, thank you for providing me with the correct information". It is clear, you're not one of those people.

A famous dutch tv-host ended a run of 5 years of late night shows last week and guess which clip they showed when guests were asked which songs were hits the year they were born?
    A Brand New Day! And the whole audience sang and clapped along.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    A famous dutch tv-host ended a run of 5 years of late night shows last week and guess which clip they showed when guests were asked which songs were hits the year they were born?
    That sounds wonderful.

A Brand New Day was a HUGE hit in the Netherlands.

But seriously that song is that knock. Again, a testament to Luther's genius.

He even did his own version in '76.

Wow...Marv2 has made 20 plus postings on this thread alone obsessing over Diane Ross. Thats so sick to spend all that time on a woman he "claims' not to like but is totally infatuated with. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    Last edited by Roberta75; 06-11-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Interesting - the Dutch got some soul!

There is no doubt that the film is leaden. It should have a sense of magic and fun and it does not. Also, so much of the film is shot poorly. Brand New Day repeats the same camera moves over and over cutting down on the excitement of the number so it doesn't really build. The fashion sequences in "Oz" are long and boring, not exciting or magical in any way. Even the Wizard, before Richard Pryor is exposed, is just a head that sits there with lazar eyes, which photographs poorly. Why no fire? Why no true lighting effects? Even poor Lena Horne just hangs from her wire and sings with all those babies just hanging from wires. Lumet had no sense of enchantment, and that is the movies downfall to me. I think Diana could have worked in a movie willed with wonder, but it doesn't in a movie that eschews the wonder for reality.

alanbill1074 Guest
    He was the wrong director for it. It's a very cold film, with terrible editing. I mean, Ease On Down The Road is some of the worst filming I've ever seen

I thought the entire cast did well with what they had to work with but as a movie it's a stinker. Great soundtrack though.

I hope one day to make it to the end in one sitting.

You can read. You read where I said it was $33 million, yet you persist in lying just to keep up an argument. A good person, an intelligent person would simply respond with "I'm sorry, I had inaccurate information, thank you for providing me with the correct information". It is clear, you're not one of those people.
    The film was given a 24 million dollar budget when they secured Diana Ross. So it went over budget at 33 million. Where am I lying? I agree to that. If you pay attention. I am not disputing the budget amount! I am just saying it was given that amount due to having Diana Ross in the starring role. I am sorry Marv if that upsets you.

The film was given a 24 million dollar budget when they secured Diana Ross. So it went over budget at 33 million. Where am I lying? I agree to that. If you pay attention. I am not disputing the budget amount! I am just saying it was given that amount due to having Diana Ross in the starring role. I am sorry Marv if that upsets you.
    What’s upsetting to him is that had now made money and Diane keeps adding nickels and dimes daily from it as does Michael’s lawyer run estate

Just out of curiosity , are there memorable lines from The Wiz?
    There must be a good twenty lines you can throw out from the original that would be recognized.
    Did Diana deliver any "Run, Toto! Run!"s??

I only saw "The Wiz" once long ago. After seeing the stage production [[although Stephanie Mills wasn't in it when I saw it), it was a great disappointment. As much as I love Ross, she was just all wrong for the part. But the main thing I remember about it is that it just wasn't fun as a film. There was no excitement, no sense of wonder or magic. It seemed overlong, tedious and too message-heavy. There's nothing wrong with a message but I don't like it beaten into me!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I only saw "The Wiz" once long ago. After seeing the stage production [[although Stephanie Mills wasn't in it when I saw it), it was a great disappointment. As much as I love Ross, she was just all wrong for the part. But the main thing I remember about it is that it just wasn't fun as a film. There was no excitement, no sense of wonder or magic. It seemed overlong, tedious and too message-heavy. There's nothing wrong with a message but I don't like it beaten into me!
    There is a scene in NetFlix's "The Get Down" where they went to see "The Wiz". That was exactly my experience except I held off going to see it until Thanksgiving break my freshman year in college.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I just found it boring

What makes it so popular now? Why is it always on tv? Why the DVD releases?

Is it Diana and Michael together? It’s got to be more than that

There is a scene in NetFlix's "The Get Down" where they went to see "The Wiz". That was exactly my experience except I held off going to see it until Thanksgiving break my freshman year in college.
    Nobody is interested in when you saw The Wiz or where or when you were in your college years. We are real interested in you staying out of threads you cant be civil in. Your poisionous ugly rantings about Diane Ross are disgraceful for a grown man whos darned near Social Security age. Find your self respect and ask God to show you the high road. It cant be good for your health carrying around so much hate for a women you dont know and never will know. Stop and smell the roses or read a book or go feed the homeless or volunteer at a Childrens hospital. Those are things humbling acts that really matter and bring a sense of satisfaction to all of us.

DMCFAN Guest
    Wow. After reading these threads the past week or so I think Roberta might be my new BFF. Such a voice of reason and fresh air and reality. Subject at hand worries me...

Kids it’s only a movie nothing major. Some like it, some don’t. Life isn’t going to crash because someone gives an opinion you don’t like. Ignore it and push on.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Nobody is interested in when you saw The Wiz or where or when you were in your college years. We are real interested in you staying out of threads you cant be civil in. Your poisionous ugly rantings about Diane Ross are disgraceful for a grown man whos darned near Social Security age. Find your self respect and ask God to show you the high road. It cant be good for your health carrying around so much hate for a women you dont know and never will know. Stop and smell the roses or read a book or go feed the homeless or volunteer at a Childrens hospital. Those are things humbling acts that really matter and bring a sense of satisfaction to all of us.
    And that sums up exactly why i love my dear friend Roberta so very much. God Bless you xx

Roberta, you are SO out of order here. Your hostile response to Marv's comment on when he first saw the play was totally out of order.. Think about it and take a break. I'm letting you slide on this one only because of your longevity here.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Roberta, you are SO out of order here. Your hostile response to Marv's comment on when he first saw the play was totally out of order.. Think about it and take a break. I'm letting you slide on this one only because of your longevity here.
    My comment was based on the 20 plus endless tiresome comments hes made in this here thread trashing a woman he doesnt know. but its your forum Ralph and I respect you so im going to take a break from him and put him back on ignore.

It seems to me, Roberta, that you aired out everything you dislike about Marv in one posting. Just give it a rest, please.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I just found it boring

What makes it so popular now? Why is it always on tv? Why the DVD releases?

Is it Diana and Michael together? It’s got to be more than that
    I think Michael Jackson's involvement is the biggest draw, but people are going to be especially interested when you throw in Diana and Richard Pryor and Lena Horne, three absolute legends [[four, counting Michael) in one movie. And I think aside from a minority of folks still feeling some type a way about Diana Ross' casting and some of the other questionable filming decisions, most of that 1970s controversy means nothing today, especially considering, as I mentioned before, that there is a whole generation of children who grew up with The Wiz and now that generation has children who are growing up with it.

Remember also that when the original movie was released in the 30s, nobody was screaming about it's greatness either. It wasn't until it was shown on television that The Wizard of Oz began to resonate with audiences. I would say The Wiz followed in it's footsteps in that way.

I think most people understand your point Vgalindo. That initial 24 million was on the table because Diana Ross was doing the movie. Had another actress been given the role [[and I don't think Stephanie Mills had a chance in hell), there's every belief that the initial budget for the film would have not been so exorbitant. The movie studio was banking on Diana Ross putting butts in the seats in the same way she did her first two films. Her name, and at that time to a lesser extent the name of Michael Jackson, certainly brought folks out to see it but once people left going "what the hell was that crap" and telling anyone who would listen, the studio didn't have a prayer in recouping the budget and making a profit.

I think Michael Jackson's involvement is the biggest draw, but people are going to be especially interested when you throw in Diana and Richard Pryor and Lena Horne, three absolute legends [[four, counting Michael) in one movie. And I think aside from a minority of folks still feeling some type a way about Diana Ross' casting and some of the other questionable filming decisions, most of that 1970s controversy means nothing today, especially considering, as I mentioned before, that there is a whole generation of children who grew up with The Wiz and now that generation has children who are growing up with it.

Remember also that when the original movie was released in the 30s, nobody was screaming about it's greatness either. It wasn't until it was shown on television that The Wizard of Oz began to resonate with audiences. I would say The Wiz followed in it's footsteps in that way.
    I would say this pretty much sums up how The Wiz is viewed today in 2018. As you state a whole new generation have grown up with this film and view it quite differently from the expectations of a 70's audience.
    For me the music is that good it transcends any shortcomings the film might have.
    I particularly enjoy the moment when there is a glimpse of Diana Ross and not Dororthy. It is when having killed Evillene she is about to climb onto a motorbike and flashes Michael a huge Diana grin.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-12-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Odd man out here
    I love it
    watch it every year. Its funny as hell to us, especially the miss one scene...."What's a wiz ? Whats a wiz...Honey he is the ultimate ,,,!!!! and the splatter of the first witch and the toilet scene. The movie is a hoot and will live on better today than when it was made. Michael Jackson walking around and rolling his eyes at the lion has me dying with laughter. Diana Ross dancing in "Brand New Day " without a double is outstanding especially the cartwheels. I can feel them having a good time so yes I could feel a Brand new day. I can't remember the monkey with the bad breath and stank. Sorry the movie was hilarious to me.

But you must always.........."Dare to Dream!" LOL!!!!
    Speaking of flops......LOL!!!!

Here you are, name-calling again. Suggesting someone is not a good person and not intelligent.

How odd - I recently posted several corrections to your inaccuracies and not once did you respond with the above platitude that, according to you good and intelligent people do.

Personally, I think the wiz is atrocious. I only like Thelma Carpenter in it and snips of others .......

i dont blame the actors because they were doing what the director wanted. As AWFUL as ross, MJ and Richard Pryor are with every spoken word, it is what Lumet wanted. We all know that Diana and Richard Pryor can give much better performances than what they did in this film…… Michael simply just cannot act. The film was ill conceived with the hideous screen play…… Visually it’s annoying…… It’s edited horribly…… The sound is bad...And why people under 40 love it now I have no idea.

As for the $33 million budget, I do not believe that. That figure was only used in jet magazine which was nothing more than a glorified national Inquirer. Every other source uses the $24 million budget and it is the one that I believe is correct. The IMDB source is as accurate as any for the film industry. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078504/

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    That figure was only used in jet magazine which was nothing more than a glorified national Inquirer.
    Jet Magazine was for many years a major source of African American news related to politics, life and entertainment. The magazine was highly respected in the community and for good reason as it spotlighted major issues affecting the Black community, issues that were often not reported on in other major news sources. It was also a great source for features on Motown artists from the 60s on, many of whom made the cover. I realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no way I'm going to allow a equation between such an esteemed publication as Jet and that shitty ass rag called the National Enquirer stand without a counter viewpoint. I'm hoping you've mistaken the magazine you meant to mention. People Magazine perhaps?

I feel had they had a different director, least one that knew how to produce film musicals, The Wiz would've been salvageable overall. But as noted, it's become a film classic that still plays on TV and people still buy its DVDs for. Clearly great things DID happen with the film: it brought MJ together with Quincy Jones and they ended up making history together.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Odd man out here
    I love it
    watch it every year. Its funny as hell to us, especially the miss one scene...."What's a wiz ? Whats a wiz...Honey he is the ultimate ,,,!!!! and the splatter of the first witch and the toilet scene. The movie is a hoot and will live on better today than when it was made. Michael Jackson walking around and rolling his eyes at the lion has me dying with laughter. Diana Ross dancing in "Brand New Day " without a double is outstanding especially the cartwheels. I can feel them having a good time so yes I could feel a Brand new day. I can't remember the monkey with the bad breath and stank. Sorry the movie was hilarious to me.
    You're not the odd man out. I actually DO like the film but the way the directing was, some scenes were shot too far especially the first Ease On Down sequence. How they gonna do all that choreography and the camera scales back. We see what the road is and all of that. That was one thing to used to really annoy me. Other than that, I felt everyone did play their roles right in a sense. I was always fixated on MJ though. He proved he had acting chops. Now if only he was allowed to do more films. :/

Oddly enough that scaled back camera shot of Diana and Michael easing on down the road is an iconic image.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Oddly enough that scaled back camera shot of Diana and Michael easing on down the road is an iconic image.
    As it is. I understand it. But that used to annoy me when I first saw the film. It's like "you got one of the greatest dancers of all time in Michael Jackson and you scale the eff back!" LOL

I enjoyed The Wiz the first time I saw it in the theatre. But I really do believe they had the wrong director. The film was way too dark and the sets looked really cheap. And the look of Diana was all wrong. I really think they were trying to make her look too mature and plain looking. I hated her look. I can now barely watch the whole thing on DVD. some of the scenes are too long and they become boring. However The music, singing and performances are fantastic. It's a great movie for the big screen but not so much on TV.
    Last edited by vgalindo; 06-13-2018 at 12:57 AM.

[QUOTE=RanRan79;463518]Jet Magazine was for many years a major source of African American news related to politics, life and entertainment. The magazine was highly respected in the community and for good reason as it spotlighted major issues affecting the Black community, issues that were often not reported on in other major news sources. It was also a great source for features on Motown artists from the 60s on, many of whom made the cover. I realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there is no way I'm going to allow a equation between such an esteemed publication as Jet and that shitty ass rag called the National Enquirer stand without a counter viewpoint. I'm hoping you've mistaken the magazine you meant to mention. People Magazine perhaps?[/[QUOTE

You are absolutely right - it’s been so long since I saw an Enquirer, I forgot it was the type to run headlines like “Aliens Inhabit The Soul Of Jayne Mansfield” several of my buds got Jet so I saw it every week for about 15 years and while I took some of its editorial with a grain of salt, it was an important magazine. Every single black friend I had got Jet delivered every week to their homes. It WAS more like People, but sometimes they ran articles that seemed very close to press releases I had read. Been years since I’ve seen one - do they still print them?