[REMOVE ADS]

John Coltrane: Shelved '63 LP To Be Released

Another mention, this from The Second Disc -
    https://theseconddisc.com/2018/06/on...ieres-in-june/

Hey PNH, don't take this the wrong way, but I checked out a few tracks by John Coltrane, and I struggle to find the appeal in them. Quite long tracks, lots of excellent sax playing, but they don't really go anywhere. I know it's my aversion to jazz again, but my lil brain cannot comprehend you as a committed Motown, Soul, and Diana Ross fan [[especially ), also liking this stuff. What do you like about it?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey PNH, don't take this the wrong way, but I checked out a few tracks by John Coltrane, and I struggle to find the appeal in them. Quite long tracks, lots of excellent sax playing, but they don't really go anywhere. I know it's my aversion to jazz again, but my lil brain cannot comprehend you as a committed Motown, Soul, and Diana Ross fan [[especially ), also liking this stuff. What do you like about it?
    I totally understand, Tom! Instrumental jazz is its own art form and not for everyone. I admire your at least trying it out. For many years I was anti-jazz. I thought it formless and indulgent, and just plain bo-ring. But things happen. I have a brother who loved IJ from his college years onward, and I became accustomed to hearing it at his house. And after a while it just clicked. Also, I'm lucky that here in NJ we have a wonderful FM jazz station, WBGO, and I would tune in occasionally after visiting out of state and just became hooked. Instrumental jazz is like classical in that you can listen as background, or immerse totally. Sometimes it's nice to not have a vocal!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I totally understand, Tom! Instrumental jazz is its own art form and not for everyone. I admire your at least trying it out. For many years I was anti-jazz. I thought it formless and indulgent, and just plain bo-ring. But things happen. I have a brother who loved IJ from his college years onward, and I became accustomed to hearing it at his house. And after a while it just clicked. Also, I'm lucky that here in NJ we have a wonderful FM jazz station, WBGO, and I would tune in occasionally after visiting out of state and just became hooked. Instrumental jazz is like classical in that you can listen as background, or immerse totally. Sometimes it's nice to not have a vocal!
    PNH I totally get you on that last bit... sometimes, a song can be wonderful without any singing. And I think my head now is where your head was... formless and boring. Now I am partial to instrumental jazz-funk and soul, but this, instrumental jazz [[free jazz?), is probably too far for me. But, as you say PNH, things change, musically, in people, so you never know. Thank you for explaining though, I really appreciate it!!!