[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lionel Richie’s Endless Diana Ross Plea

However she did sing it with him live at the Academy Awards.

Reading the story, it sounds like it just might be some patter that Lionel uses when he performs the song, although I'm sure he wouldn't mind if they did pull off a live duet after all these years. For at least one early tour, when Lionel performed ENDLESS LOVE, he performed with a lifelike video of her. I suppose it was an early version of those holograms that are now becoming popular. I think at the end of it, there was some effect where he even took her hand.

When I saw Lionel last year in concert with Mariah Carey, I was surprised that they didn't perform it, especially considering Mariah had a hit with it as well.
    Last edited by reese; 06-08-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    That was a superb performance; Diana turned it OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Reading the story, it sounds like it just might be some patter that Lionel uses when he performs the song, although I'm sure he wouldn't mind if they did pull off a live duet after all these years. For at least one early tour, when Lionel performed ENDLESS LOVE, he performed with a lifelike video of her. I suppose it was an early version of those holograms that are now becoming popular. I think at the end of it, there was some effect where he even took her hand.

When I saw Lionel last year in concert with Mariah Carey, I was surprised that they didn't perform it, especially considering Mariah had a hit with it as well.
    Yes, a bit of cute patter to set up the women's sing-along. Richie is a great showman.

I think it's the setup for audience participation, but I was taken aback by the who needs Diana Ross comment. I'm sure I'm just being a fan- everybody needs a Diana Ross if you ask me- but it still smarted for a moment.

It seems to me that it's a hard song to sing - the way Diana and Lionel did it anyways. Maybe in other arrangements for lesser singers like Mariah, it's easier.

It's a difficult song, the Mariah and Luther version is even more difficult. Luther starts the first verse one octave higher, and mariah even added more high belts to the song.

The arrangement Diana uses now is very interesting, and I like it. I don't understand why after 37 years Diana still refuses to sing with Lionel, the arrangement she uses at her shows fits very well to her current range, as she doesn't include the "I'd give it all to you!" part anymore

Lionel's solo demo of "Endless Love" is my favourite version. There is such warmth in his voice. But I also really enjoyed the video of that duet at the awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post
    It's a difficult song, the Mariah and Luther version is even more difficult. Luther starts the first verse one octave higher, and mariah even added more high belts to the song.

The arrangement Diana uses now is very interesting, and I like it. I don't understand why after 37 years Diana still refuses to sing with Lionel, the arrangement she uses at her shows fits very well to her current range, as she doesn't include the "I'd give it all to you!" part anymore
    I don’t think she’d mind doing it;I bet it’s more about timing and grandchildren time

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I don’t think she’d mind doing it;I bet it’s more about timing and grandchildren time
    That's funny. In the Eaten Alive thread you used "children time" as an excuse. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's funny. In the Eaten Alive thread you used "children time" as an excuse. LOL!
    "Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."

Endless Love is such a complicated song to sing. But I loved Diana's solo version of it when she was with RCA:

I imagine it's hard for even a great singer to sing this unless they made sure their vocals were crisp to do a decent version of it?

There’s a reason this song was one of the biggest hits of all time

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Endless Love is such a complicated song to sing. But I loved Diana's solo version of it when she was with RCA:

I imagine it's hard for even a great singer to sing this unless they made sure their vocals were crisp to do a decent version of it?
    Yes, she did a real nice job with it alone.

Regarding her solo version .... there is no need to over sing this song, and Diana WAY OVER SANG it. I found it very difficult to listen to.

I know she needed it to sell her first RCA album, but the duet was perfection. She should have left it alone.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-10-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Regarding her solo version .... there is no need to over sing this song, and Diana WAY OVER SANG it. I found it very difficult to listen to.

I know she needed it to sell her first RCA album, but the duet was perfection. She should have left it alone.
    I think so too

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    "Originally Posted by marv2 October 2016
    I don't even go into most Diana Ross threads on here."
    Ha ha ha. Have you seen the sheer number of comments he has posted on the eaten alive and wiz topics? It must be more than any other member, yet he rarely goes into Diana Ross threads. You could not make it up could you? This individual has got a seriously unhealthy and worrying obsession over Diana Ross. There is nothing more to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Weslley Francisco View Post

I'm sure it boils down to management, timing, travel and whether either of them wants to expend the effort of a short reunion. As iconic as it would be, the brand of any big name artist extends past their name and personal wants, acting like a large corporate entity providing jobs for many families. To bring the Diana Ross "and friends" caravan for a one song performance with negotiations between her and Lionel's team would sound exhausting for such a small jaunt; the expended cash to bring Diana and her posse along would surely be something her accountant would raise an eyebrow at [[which at this point in her stardom and the time she's spent on top, I can't imagine she would ever leave behind her core team and "rough it," even as a favor to an old friend). I'm not educated on the personal relationship between Lionel and Diana, but I can imagine thhe business side of things and timing affecting a reunion. For a lot of these big-name duets, it's hard enough to get them in the same studio, let alone for live performances after the time of the hit has passed.

I remember watching that performance and thought it strange that Lionel was singing to her, giving it his all and she was singing to the camera and did not look at him at all even though it was a duet....lol!

Quote Originally Posted by loganjlr View Post
    I'm sure it boils down to management, timing, travel and whether either of them wants to expend the effort of a short reunion. As iconic as it would be, the brand of any big name artist extends past their name and personal wants, acting like a large corporate entity providing jobs for many families. To bring the Diana Ross "and friends" caravan for a one song performance with negotiations between her and Lionel's team would sound exhausting for such a small jaunt; the expended cash to bring Diana and her posse along would surely be something her accountant would raise an eyebrow at [[which at this point in her stardom and the time she's spent on top, I can't imagine she would ever leave behind her core team and "rough it," even as a favor to an old friend). I'm not educated on the personal relationship between Lionel and Diana, but I can imagine thhe business side of things and timing affecting a reunion. For a lot of these big-name duets, it's hard enough to get them in the same studio, let alone for live performances after the time of the hit has passed.
    That sounds quite brutal for one song - quite a process.

Would you give up a day with a grandchild for that? Don't think so. But maybe one day she'll be home when he is close by and she'll sing with him.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    I remember watching that performance and thought it strange that Lionel was singing to her, giving it his all and she was singing to the camera and did not look at him at all even though it was a duet....lol!
    That's what everyone was saying. Why is she avoiding looking at him as much as possible. LOL!!!! Wow, I remember now.

That sounds quite brutal for one song - quite a process.

Would you give up a day with a grandchild for that? Don't think so. But maybe one day she'll be home when he is close by and she'll sing with him.
    Delusional much? LOL!!!!!

Not to knock your memory, but that's not accurate description of that performance. She looked at him throughout the performance but she didn't stare at him the whole time. And neither did he do that to her. I never saw her look directly into a camera either [[though she may have once or twice). What I did notice was her eyes panning the audience. Remember, in addition to being a vocalist, Diana is also a visual performer who uses her audience to fuel the performance. I don't think she could stand and stare at any one person while on stage if she tried.

Right, she was looking into his eyes several times lol

But I guess anything to keep on with the "she's very unapproachable" myth, I guess...lmao

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Right, she was looking into his eyes several times lol

But I guess anything to keep on with the "she's very unapproachable" myth, I guess...lmao
    Well then it is a myth that Lionel Richie himself has helped to spread:

Lionel Richie: Everyone was friendly..except for Diana Ross

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entert...-diana-1012002

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That's what everyone was saying. Why is she avoiding looking at him as much as possible. LOL!!!! Wow, I remember now.
    How odd that “everyone” was saying that since I just counted 14 times she looked at him when she was on camera. You must know a lot of unusual people to all have the same distorted ....or, what was the name calling adjective you used below...? Oh, yeah - delusional - you must be and know a lot of delusional people to all have the same delusional experience since she looks at him 14 times. That might explain so many of your online claims.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    How odd that “everyone” was saying that since I just counted 14 times she looked at him when she was on camera. You must know a lot of unusual people to all have the same distorted ....or, what was the name calling adjective you used below...? Oh, yeah - delusional - you must be and know a lot of delusional people to all have the same delusional experience since she looks at him 14 times. That might explain so many of your online claims.
    Can't everyone see how petty some fans are when they make a statement and then someone comes back and proves them wrong [[because we have the internet now) and then they go off on ....well then what about this ???
    Just don't feed them anymore ...let them starve and go hungry.
    The whole time I was reading this I was thinking that's not how it happen. There is a word for this but I just can't say it here.

By this time Diana was use to the camera and performing to a world wide audience. Lionel was a novice in that regard. Although he was a seasoned stage performer, performing for the camera was new to him, and that is a different thing altogether.

I think she’s just not interested. Why should she be? They’re not particularly close and ten years ago she said she was simplifying her life as much as possible. This would be work to arrange and if it was worth it to her, she’d do it. Ross does what she wants. Maybe sometime he’ll join her at a big show but, personally, I don’t care if she does or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post

I agree that her duet performance is much better, but I think it would be madness to leave a giga-hit like that off her current debut RCA album. Geez, it was #1 in New York for like 13 weeks - that’s HUGE! She was huge in NY at the time. 3 songs on playlists together for months.......it’s MynTurn and Why Do Fools were on the New York okay lists for 6 months each.... it’s the biggest market. It made sense to include it. I just wish it was better.

Perhaps the record labels wouldn’t allow her to include the duet version. So she recorded it and it serve the purpose of her audience being familiar with the version that she would then sing in concert for many years to come.

alanbill1074 Guest
    I didn't care for the solo version. I skip it on the album, but I love the rest of Fools. Mind you I don't care for the song, period.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    Perhaps the record labels wouldn’t allow her to include the duet version. So she recorded it and it serve the purpose of her audience being familiar with the version that she would then sing in concert for many years to come.
    I was thinking the same.

When I first saw the WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE album in a record store and saw that ENDLESS LOVE was on it, I just assumed it was the duet. But a few days later, I was listening to the radio and heard her solo version. That's when I realized she had recorded a solo version for RCA. The big radio station in my area was actually playing the solo version of ENDLESS LOVE before they started playing WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE.

alanbill1074 Guest
    I doubt Motown would license it to RCA. Wasn't it released on Diana's Duets LP at the same time? Competing product, and I expect Diana wanted her own version anyway. I think I'd have copied the duet version sound exactly though. The solo version sounds, unfinished in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    I doubt Motown would license it to RCA. Wasn't it released on Diana's Duets LP at the same time? Competing product, and I expect Diana wanted her own version anyway. I think I'd have copied the duet version sound exactly though. The solo version sounds, unfinished in comparison.
    I wasn't sure if Motown owned it. They had the single, but Polygram put out the ENDLESS LOVE soundtrack album which also included the other Diana-Lionel duet DREAMING OF YOU.

On album, Motown first released it on their ALL THE GREAT HITS collection in 1981. Then later on her 1983 ANTHOLOGY.

alanbill1074 Guest
    That was it yes, I knew it was on something competing at the time. Personally I thought Dreaming Of You was a much better song!

Quote Originally Posted by alanbill1074 View Post
    That was it yes, I knew it was on something competing at the time. Personally I thought Dreaming Of You was a much better song!
    Too bad DREAMING OF YOU was never released as a single. But maybe it was better to leave ENDLESS LOVE as their lasting legacy.

I was thinking the same.

When I first saw the WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE album in a record store and saw that ENDLESS LOVE was on it, I just assumed it was the duet. But a few days later, I was listening to the radio and heard her solo version. That's when I realized she had recorded a solo version for RCA. The big radio station in my area was actually playing the solo version of ENDLESS LOVE before they started playing WHY DO FOOLS FALL IN LOVE.
    I remember being in the car with my dad when the solo version of this song came on the radio, and my dad commenting on how this version was better re: her vocals.

alanbill1074 Guest
    Too bad DREAMING OF YOU was never released as a single. But maybe it was better to leave ENDLESS LOVE as their lasting legacy.
    Had she stayed with Motown I bet it would have been. I have a white label promo of it.

When Diana Ross performs "Endless Love" in her concerts its the highlight of the show IMO. When I saw her at Caesars Palace in Vegas a few years ago it was so good live. She killed it at Central Park. I can watch that performance over and over.

I prefer the duel version

I love "Dreaming Of You" as much as "Endless Love". It's kinda like the upbeat alternative! Great song!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    I believe the record label issue was the thing. Diana could've left it alone but I suspect that including a solo version on the album was also to give the public one more reason to purchase the album because I'm sure many people erroneously thought it was the duet version and purchased the album only to find it was Diana alone. No doubt Diana hoped that "mistake" would boost sales.

She killed it at Central Park. I can watch that performance over and over.
    She sure did. I love that performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ranran79 View Post
    not to knock your memory, but that's not accurate description of that performance. She looked at him throughout the performance but she didn't stare at him the whole time. And neither did he do that to her. I never saw her look directly into a camera either [[though she may have once or twice). What i did notice was her eyes panning the audience. Remember, in addition to being a vocalist, diana is also a visual performer who uses her audience to fuel the performance. I don't think she could stand and stare at any one person while on stage if she tried.

........lol!

........lol!

I know right? LOL!!!!!!

........lol!
    I know right? I was crackin up too when I watched the video and realized you were lying!! And then Maniac went the extra mile and actually counted the times she looked at him. That made me laugh even more!! Might want to check the source and then come up with a story rather than come up with a story and have someone post the video that debunks your "memory". Thanks for the laughs though!!

I just watched it again

They killed it

Thanks for the memories

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I know right? I was crackin up too when I watched the video and realized you were lying!! And then Maniac went the extra mile and actually counted the times she looked at him. That made me laugh even more!! Might want to check the source and then come up with a story rather than come up with a story and have someone post the video that debunks your "memory". Thanks for the laughs though!!
    I used to have a bud whose mom used to say, “ a lie don’t care who tell it” and it’s so true. Especially when a certain Mr Embellishment ascribes that appellation to others so easily. What I love about video refutations is that those they correct never say anything about being correctly informed - which means they WANT to think what they do - truth or fiction. My bff is a shrink - i’ll Ask him what kind of disorder this is - maybe there’s a cure for THIS!