[REMOVE ADS]

Mary Wilson "Its Time To Move On" - MJC&LFB Remix

Great video. Thx Marv. Wish Mary sang more on it though

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great video. Thx Marv. Wish Mary sang more on it though
    I think so too. Yeah, I do too, but with today's dance music, it is all about the beat unfortunately. The vocals are important, but the groove or dance mix is what they want that is why there were so many mixes made of this one song. I can't wait to hear what they will do with Mary's originally produced by Gus Dudgeon tracks.

Love this.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Love this.
    I liked how they incorporated the images from the 60s with current ones of Mary.

Is this the same song that a couple years ago they dug out and remixed again? How many times does Mary Wilson go back to the same well? To me, this song is totally not her style and this remix adds nothing at all to the original which was already sounding like it was an 80s tune that somehow got unearthed. I think Mary is a good vocalist at certain material, mainly ballads. To me this completely misses the mark.

But my real question is what is it about this song that keeps someone thinking they need to do another remix on it?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Is this the same song that a couple years ago they dug out and remixed again? How many times does Mary Wilson go back to the same well? To me, this song is totally not her style and this remix adds nothing at all to the original which was already sounding like it was an 80s tune that somehow got unearthed. I think Mary is a good vocalist at certain material, mainly ballads. To me this completely misses the mark.

But my real question is what is it about this song that keeps someone thinking they need to do another remix on it?
    It's Dance music. That's what they do with Dance music today. remix,remix, remix!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    It's Dance music. That's what they do with Dance music today. remix,remix, remix!
    I get that, but it's a pretty weak song to begin with IMHO.

I wish Mary would record a standards album or something close to the "High Energy" album [[Side 2 in the old days) which to me was her high point as a vocalist at Motown. Her voice is perfectly suited to "Till the Boat Sails Away" and the other songs on that album's "love side."

I wish Mary would record a standards album or something close to the "High Energy" album [[Side 2 in the old days) which to me was her high point as a vocalist at Motown. Her voice is perfectly suited to "Till the Boat Sails Away" and the other songs on that album's "love side."
    I would like to have someone clean this one up and do a remix. This was written for Mary by Janie Bradford and recorded in 1987:

Did you get her live Jazz CD/DVD "Up Close" that came out in 2007? It was loaded with standards, Jazz tunes and love songs.

Here is the track listing for "Up Close"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Clo..._San_Francisco

Here is the track listing for "Up Close"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_Clo..._San_Francisco
    Now that's more like it! I'll have to check this out.

Now that's more like it! I'll have to check this out.
    It's really good and the DVD of the concert was superb!

It's really good and the DVD of the concert was superb!
    I have the DVD as well as the CD of that show. I play them a lot. Classy and right
    up Mary's alley.

Completely agree! Mary is class. Sometimes she doesn’t bring enough cd’s to sell at her shows.

Amazon.com needs to stock more of both the CD and DVD.

I would like to have someone clean this one up and do a remix. This was written for Mary by Janie Bradford and recorded in 1987:

I really like this....always have...though, Mary's voice seems buried in there.
    Cleaning this up and a remix would be welcome.

I wonder why, to my knowledge, Mary has not done this song live.

No one knows the song or has ever even heard of it. She tries to appease her audience with favorites or songs that show off her chops. Time To Move On is only anything because of a mix applied to an obscure song with a wonderful video.

It's my understanding that Ms. Wilson shared her masters with the folks at Sweet Feet, and they are the ones who do the remixes. She does not actually have anything to do with the remixes themselves, other than approving the final products or agreeing to those mixes being put out.

Question: Do we know for certain that the masters she gave to Sweet Feet in the spring are indeed the Gus Dudgeon tracks? I've read that several places, yet Mary had a lot of masters from over the years. How do we know Sweet Feet has the Dudgeon tracks and not something else?

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've listened to this several times and it just has too many lyrics that I'm reading between the lines:

"Been in your shadow for far too long"

"We had something I won't forget"

"We became the perfect time team"

Yes Mary, it's time to move on.

Ummm, yeah. That was NOT GOOD. And capitalizing off of decades old drama smacks of desperation.

Yes Mary dear, it is high time YOU moved on.

Girl Bye.

This song was written for the album Mary began in 1999 and contained autobiographical themes of personal feelings. Although they never finished it, several tracks were completed or near complete. When I first heard this song, it was just a year after RTL and everything was fresh in her mind, but Mary has never, I believe, moved away from DMF emotionally. So, this song was a natural for her and lends itself well to remixing. I don’t think anyone is paying attention to the lyric beyond the title line, and while many folks seem to eschew the lyrics, everyone appears to dig the video.

I feel so uncomfortable posting on a forum called DRATS or whatever, when artists are individuals, and not Diana Ross' protegés that need to be shut in mother hen's poultry yard. So even here one has to bear all those hateful posts by people who just want to convince the world that there is nothing beyond Ross' contribution to popular music.

This said I am also tired of reading that Mary's voice is/was only suited for ballads. i am sorry but Wilson is a very good rock and roll singer, that no other member of The Supremes [[none!) ever tried. Mary was rocking and shouting even before Tina Turner became a superstar. It is a lie that she is only suited for ballads. Listen to "Green River", "You Keep Me Hangin' On", "A Little Bit of Love" [[with Clas Yngström) or "Bad Case of Loving You" and you can hear how ready and willing she is to do justice to those songs, and she does it good. I love her ballads, but I also enjoy very much when she sings those kind or songs. Dam, her voice is different. You may like it or not, but she was made to sound that way. Sorry. And she seems quite funny and happy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I feel so uncomfortable posting on a forum called DRATS or whatever, when artists are individuals, and not Diana Ross' protegés that need to be shut in mother hen's poultry yard. So even here one has to bear all those hateful posts by people who just want to convince the world that there is nothing beyond Ross' contribution to popular music.

This said I am also tired of reading that Mary's voice is/was only suited for ballads. i am sorry but Wilson is a very good rock and roll singer, that no other member of The Supremes [[none!) ever tried. Mary was rocking and shouting even before Tina Turner became a superstar. It is a lie that she is only suited for ballads. Listen to "Green River", "You Keep Me Hangin' On", "A Little Bit of Love" [[with Clas Yngström) or "Bad Case of Loving You" and you can hear how ready and willing she is to do justice to those songs, and she does it good. I love her ballads, but I also enjoy very much when she sings those kind or songs. Dam, her voice is different. You may like it or not, but she was made to sound that way. Sorry. And she seems quite funny and happy to me.
    Edgar, I hear you and totally agree with what you said! Thank you!

Thank you, Marv.

Oye, can you help me with the following, if you know the information?

Who wrote and produced "Time to Move On"?
    Who is the male singer in "Love Child? Is it Ako Mack?
    I suppose nobody knows who wrote and produced Mary's Atlantic demos or whatever they were.

I have added a new Mary Wilson's playlist, "Anthology 4", nothing new, but they always deserve re-uploading.
    Thanks again.

Thank you, Marv.

I suppose nobody knows who wrote and produced Mary's Atlantic demos or whatever they were.

I have added a new Mary Wilson's playlist, "Anthology 4", nothing new, but they always deserve re-uploading.
    Thanks again.
    I can't answer all right now, but "The One I Love" [[Atlantic c.1987) demo was written by Janie Bradford of Motown for Mary. Janie co-wrote the early Motown classic "Money".

Thank you, Marv.

Thanks again.
    I have to get the playlist Anthology 4 and save it to my favorites. Thank you Edgar and I will get back to you with more!

Perhaps by your logic this subforum could be called “Diana Ross/The Supremes”. Unfortunately, things became so heated in iterations prior that it was necessary to create a separate area to discuss both: Diana’s solo career + the careers of the Supremes and all of the other members of the group. I don’t see a need to go beyond that. No one besides Diana has done anything substantive as a solo act. The work of the other girls only appeals to a niche group of fans and not the general populace.

Edgar, the original recording was titled Got To Keep On Movin' - The L.A.D.S featuring Mary Wilson and was released in 2000. I still need to find out who wrote the song.

Well you got over being uncomfortable real quick and made an instant BFF. Welcome to the forum.

I can't answer all right now, but "The One I Love" [[Atlantic c.1987) demo was written by Janie Bradford of Motown for Mary. Janie co-wrote the early Motown classic "Money".
    The One I Love is a great song. Sounds great on a quality sound system. But yes, definitely needs to be cleaned up.