[REMOVE ADS]

Linda Griner..."Envious"

I've been into this one quite a bit lately. Her voice is fantastic.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  21.1 KB
    Here's her same vocal with a mid-tempo background:

Views: 459
    Here's "Goodbye Cruel Love"

Views: 463
    Here she is with a new name, "Lyn Roman", 2,5 years later, on ABC's Shivaree, singing a song she recorded for Mercury Records, backed up by Dee Dee Warwick, Cissy Houston, and Margie Hendrix:

Views: 462
    Here she is 3 years later, singing a Bachrach-Davidlike song written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil:
    Last edited by robb_k; 06-05-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Views: 457
    Another from the same period:

I also remember "Stop! I Don't Need No Sympathy." Some savvy label should compile this lady's work and put a CD out there. Ace is really good at putting together "anthologies" for folks that have been on multiple labels. I'd like to see it happen!

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    I like this too, although I'm crazy about the first version. Thanks for posting! I hadn't heard this version before.

Views: 463
    Here she is with a new name, "Lyn Roman", 2,5 years later, on ABC's Shivaree, singing a song she recorded for Mercury Records, backed up by Dee Dee Warwick, Cissy Houston, and Margie Hendrix:
    I don't care for the song. But she's gorgeous. She reminds me of Eartha Kitt, Diana Ross and Dionne Warwick rolled into one person. Lol She has a really good presence about her.

Views: 462
    Here she is 3 years later, singing a Bachrach-Davidlike song written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil:
    You sure that's not a Bacharach tune? Lol I really like it though and she sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_sku View Post
    I also remember "Stop! I Don't Need No Sympathy." Some savvy label should compile this lady's work and put a CD out there. Ace is really good at putting together "anthologies" for folks that have been on multiple labels. I'd like to see it happen!
    I didn't know she did a version of "Sympathy". Just listened to it and I like it. I have the song by Sylvia Smith and a version by a group called Odyssey 5. Like them all about the same.

Just A Little Lovin' was a tune by Cynthia Weil & Barry Mann. Sounds quite Bacharach, though.

Thumbs up

Nice one Robb....Never heard that version before....Appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I didn't know she did a version of "Sympathy". Just listened to it and I like it. I have the song by Sylvia Smith and a version by a group called Odyssey 5. Like them all about the same.
    She sang the original, as far as I know. Carl Davis wrote it for her. I'm pretty sure that Sylvia Smith was an alternate stage name for Sylvia Shemwell, who sang with The Gospelairs, and Sweet Inspirations, and was also one of the main female background singers in The New York/New Jersey Area, who often teamed up with The Warwick Sisters and Cissy Houston.

She really does have a great supper club kind of voice. I wonder why she changed names. There isn't much information on her, web-wise. Her website is poorly written, unfortunately, and doesn't really give a good bio. She was discover singing & performing in Washington DC by Smokey Robinson, currently, she is a real estate agent in Las Vegas.

Linda/Lyn was really prolific. I first became aware of her as Lyn Roman with "Stop, I Don't Need No Sympathy," which was played in the clubs all the time.

It was perfect for doin' the bump to and never failed to get people onto the floor. When I later learned that she and Linda Griner were one and the same, I became astounded at how much recorded material she turned out for someone with so little name recognition.

She sang the original, as far as I know. Carl Davis wrote it for her. I'm pretty sure that Sylvia Smith was an alternate stage name for Sylvia Shemwell, who sang with The Gospelairs, and Sweet Inspirations, and was also one of the main female background singers in The New York/New Jersey Area, who often teamed up with The Warwick Sisters and Cissy Houston.
    Apparently the Sylvia Smith who recorded "Sympathy" may have at some point been a member of The Glass House on Invictus. I couldn't find much information about her. But I have her album Woman Of the World and it's pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    When I later learned that she and Linda Griner were one and the same, I became astounded at how much recorded material she turned out for someone with so little name recognition.
    As Mike suggested above, putting together Linda's recordings in a collection might be worthwhile. I'd buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Apparently the Sylvia Smith who recorded "Sympathy" may have at some point been a member of The Glass House on Invictus. I couldn't find much information about her. But I have her album Woman Of the World and it's pretty good.
    Sylvia was interviewed by BLACK STARS magazine many years ago. I think she said that she was in the Glass House briefly and recorded the mild hit THANKS, I NEEDED THAT with them.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Sylvia was interviewed by BLACK STARS magazine many years ago. I think she said that she was in the Glass House briefly and recorded the mild hit THANKS, I NEEDED THAT with them.
    Thanks Reese.