[REMOVE ADS]

When The Lovelight starts shining through his eyes. TCB outtake

had to post this

This was certainly an interesting choice for a selection in this special, especially considering the hits they didn't perform on it. But it does sound good.

Thx! Very cool they did this. The band seemed to lose it at the end.

That was probably the first record of theirs I really, really liked. It would never sound the same without Florence though.
    Last edited by marv2; 06-01-2018 at 09:29 PM.

This just does not sound like a TCB outtake. Diana's voice sound too early and young. Also, I swear I hear Flo in the background not Cindy.

I do hear Mary but not Flo. I do remember hearing that lovelight was supposed to be part of a medley

I think I hear Flo, but I just do not believe this was done for TCB because the band sounds different her voice sounds different and I think I hear Flo.

It's hard to believe this is from the TCB special because the band sounds like they really can't navigate that "second line" drum beat. But maybe that was why this sounds like the band is having trouble. The beat of "Lovelight" can be a tricky rhythm I'd imagine for musicians trained to play pop, classical and standards.

Thanks for posting Blackguy. As other posters have pointed out, I question whether this was done on the TCB Special in 1968 but it was fun to listen to anyway [[and yes, the band is struggling with this song and they lose it at the end).

That’s what the person who posted it said

This is from TCB

It's definitely from TCB. If you listen closely to Mary's whoo-hoo's and the audience applause at the intro of the above clip they match perfectly with the ending of the With A Song In My Heart/Without A Song number from the soundtrack album. Now I can hear where they spliced in Come See About Me just as the clapping ends. My childhood vinyl copy always got stuck on that Whoo-hoo so I'd know it anywhere...

Glenpwood, bingo! I have a bootleg copy of this track and at the end the intro to Come See About Me begins and then abruptly ends.

Also you'll hear Diana say in the beginning "Remember this one?" Which would make sense being five years after the song's release.

This sounds a lot like how Diana Ross' voice was on the TCB soundtrack. IMO.

Ok guys I will take your word for it and I have been wrong before but I still hear Flo. Why Lovelights and not WDOLG or Back In My Arms Again or maybe even Forever.

i too find it odd and interesting that Lovelight was selected. They'd already included Stop, YKMHO, Symphony and the medley of Come/My world/Baby love. Then they used some of the original version of Reflections during the intro and outro to the Afro Vogue dance sequence.

Somethings You Never was released in May and so it was more than clear by August [[when the TCB taping occurred) that it was NOT going to be a hit.

Forever - this also would have received the black ball for not being a hit

heartaches, itching & In and Out - i think these are obvious for not being included because they just weren't top hits

Back in my arms - seems like they axed this song from their repertoire once Flo was out. sure they could have done a shorter version and skipped the last verse. but it's like they just wanted all mention of flo gone lol

So what's left - Where Did our Love go, You can't hurry love, happening and Love Is here. given the recency of YCHL, TH and LIHANYG i would have thought they'd have included them instead of Lovelight.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    This sounds a lot like how Diana Ross' voice was on the TCB soundtrack. IMO.
    Although the band [[orchestra) and the way it is mixed into the performance is different, I agree that it does sound like Diana's voice on the soundtrack.

Considering LOVELIGHT was also part of the opening medley that would have been on THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTS album, maybe it is not so far-fetched after all. But it is still an odd choice. Wonder if any video outtake exists?

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Considering LOVELIGHT was also part of the opening medley that would have been on THE SUPREMES JOIN THE TEMPTS album, maybe it is not so far-fetched after all. But it is still an odd choice. Wonder if any video outtake exists?
    That's what I was thinking Reese.

In all honesty it sounds like a 20 Grand recording. In fact its like remember this one ............................No we don't ..............and then they go into another number. Berry would have promoted something else if this was TCB.