[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ace Spinners Cd: While the City Sleeps

Adam White's 'West Grand Boulevard Blog' mentions an August release from Ace of a Spinner's set coupling the "Second Time Around" album with unreleased tracks.

Interesting indeed. Maybe more Wonder-ful tracks?

I figured this release would come sooner, but better late than never. There probably won't be much left in the vaults after this release besides alternatives. I tried to email Keith Hughes about a possible remix of "Imagination Running Wild", but wasn't successful. More is always better with Motown,waiting patiently.

Good news! Here's the link.

http://www.adampwhite.com/westgrandblog/year-to-date

It also mentions upcoming releases of more Bobby Darin material, and, yes Blinky!
    Last edited by kenneth; 06-01-2018 at 06:19 PM.

OoOoOoOoOoH more good news!!!!

Just in time for my 30th Birthday! Definitely looking forward to this one!

Happy birthday when it comes, jboy88! The bonus tracks are:

Mental Telepathy +
    Satisfaction Guaranteed +
    Sunshine Train +
    While The City Sleeps *+
    I Can't Let You Go *
    Your Sweet Love Is All I Need [[Your Love Is Sufficient) *
    Don't Take Your Love Away I Can't Stand It *
    That's What Girls Are Made For
    Gonna Keep On Tryin' Till I Win Your Love
    Sadder Words Were Never Spoken
    Just A Little Part Of Your Life
    When It Starts To Rain It Pours
    Why Don't You Try It

* previously released in the Motown Unreleased series
    + 2018 mix
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 06-02-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Keith,

For what intended release were the first four selections mixed in 2005?

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Gonna Keep On Tryin' Till I Win Your Love
    When I saw this I actually gasped out loud! Yay!!!!!

I'm curious as to what the Smokey Robinson production[[s) sound like. I figured the great "Like A Good Man Should" was the only track he recorded on them. Haven't seen much of his name as writer and producer on these great compilations we've been getting. My attempt at inventory has revealed that we may have the cream of The Spinners recorded output. Most of the 30 unreleased candidates from '63-'67 have been issued,plus what we'll have here from that timeline. Should be interesting to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Keith,

For what intended release were the first four selections mixed in 2005?
    I meant 2018 - for this release! Sorry. Now corrected.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1790
Size:  21.1 KB
    Yes. I'm also very curious to hear the previously unreleased cuts I've never heard. I love The Bobbie Smith and G.C. Cameron-led Spinners. Most of their released cuts were written and produced by Harvey Fuqua and Johnny Bristol and Mickey Stevenson and Ivy Hunter. I liked "Like a Good Man Should", and several of The Cosby-Moy-Wonder penned songs.

But why "That's What Girls Are Made For" [[from the first LP)? Is this an alternate take or maybe an actual Motown re-recording?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    But why "That's What Girls Are Made For" [[from the first LP)? Is this an alternate take or maybe an actual Motown re-recording?
Views: 1770
    Why would they have done that???

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 1770
    Why would they have done that???
    Didn't Gladys Knight & The Pips re-record some of their early [[pre-Motown) hits like "Every Beat Of My Heart" at Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Didn't Gladys Knight & The Pips re-record some of their early [[pre-Motown) hits like "Every Beat Of My Heart" at Motown?
    Yes, on their first Greatest Hits album [[1970?) the first 3 tracks were rerecordings of their earlier recordings of "Every Beat of My Heart," "Letter Full of Tears," and "Giving Up." All beautifully done, I might add, but I heard them before I ever heard the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Yes, on their first Greatest Hits album [[1970?) the first 3 tracks were rerecordings of their earlier recordings of "Every Beat of My Heart," "Letter Full of Tears," and "Giving Up." All beautifully done, I might add, but I heard them before I ever heard the originals.
Views: 1738
    I'd be curious to hear an updated version, with The Funk Brothers playing on it, recorded 1964 or later. However, Keith Hughes' post above has an Asterix for each bonus track [[previously unreleased). "That's What Girls Are Made For" has no Asterix. That tells me that it is the only version previously released, the original Tri-Phi recording.
    Last edited by robb_k; 06-02-2018 at 11:58 PM.

Views: 1738
    I'd be curious to hear an updated version, with The Funk Brothers playing on it, recorded 1964 or later. However, Keith Hughes' post above has an Asterix for each bonus track [[previously unreleased). "That's What Girls Are Made For" has no Asterix. That tells me that it is the only version previously released, the original Tri-Phi recording.
    Robb, the asterisk is a representation of what's been released in the "Motown Unreleased" series. They're just putting them on this release to probably make it more comprehensive. As opposed to using the same version of "Your Love Is All I Need", I would've used the alternate. It's my understanding that they recorded it twice,it's just not certain what's different the arrangement or the vocal. But Que Sera Sera, they have their reasons. I hope it's an updated version too,it'll be less doo wop and more pop oriented. 1964 is when the "Motown Sound" started to develop also,so I hope you're right.

"That's What Girls Are Made For" is a 1968 re-make of their first record. All the tracks in the list that DON'T have an asterisk are previously unreleased.

Thanks Keith, looking forward to hearing that rerecorded Motown version. Anything Spinners is fine by me.

"That's What Girls Are Made For" is a 1968 re-make of their first record. All the tracks in the list that DON'T have an asterisk are previously unreleased.
    Is it the same band track as Tammi Terrell's version?

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Thanks kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    Is it the same band track as Tammi Terrell's version?
    The track to Tammi Terrell's version was recorded on January 9, 1966.

Views: 1687
    Is it Bobbie Smith on lead?

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    That is an interesting choice for this release.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is an interesting choice for this release.
Views: 1576
    Now that we know it's a 1968 Motown-recorded remake, it makes sense. It's just another classic Motown Spinners previously unreleased cut that we Spinners fans want to hear, and Ace Kent wants to get all those of that type that sound good, out to the public, because Universal doesn't feel it is worth it for them to tap that small niche market.

You've got it dead right, Robb. As for other questions, it's G.C. on lead and the backing track was made just for this recording - not used for any other artist. Interestingly, Bobbie didn't seem to remember this version when I interviewed him for our previous Spinners offering.

You've got it dead right, Robb. As for other questions, it's G.C. on lead and the backing track was made just for this recording - not used for any other artist. Interestingly, Bobbie didn't seem to remember this version when I interviewed him for our previous Spinners offering.
Views: 1536
    Maybe that's because he was home, sick? And that's why G.C. sang lead?

Views: 1576
    Now that we know it's a 1968 Motown-recorded remake, it makes sense. It's just another classic Motown Spinners previously unreleased cut that we Spinners fans want to hear, and Ace Kent wants to get all those of that type that sound good, out to the public, because Universal doesn't feel it is worth it for them to tap that small niche market.
    I never understood why so little material from artists other than the Supremes were re-released and given the deluxe treatment by Universal. I will be happy to get this offering from Ace. The Spinners are one of the greatest groups of all time.

I got the chance to see and hear Bobbie sing for the last time in 2011 at Coney Island. He was always great.

Well, this is both good and bad news for me. Good, that there's a second version of this masterpiece, bad because Bobby's not doing the lead. It took a while to get through Tammi's version without hitting the skip button. While it's now one of my favorites by her, Bobby still has the edge. Especially since it ultimately secured Thom Bell's place on their bandwagon. But we'll see if the GC version can meet my approval!

Bumping just to remind collectors that Ace/Kent have this planned for release soon.
    I'm sure loyal Motown fans will buy it.
    The Spinners were overlooked at Motown, and this set should be good.

I love Bobby Smith's voice and I would have welcomed a Motown version of TWGAMF with him on lead [[which would have made for a great comparison). However, G.C. Cameron has an amazing voice and is so versatile he can handle almost anything - so it will still be interesting to hear him.

I most associate G.C's time with The Spinners with the Stevie Wonder productions [["It's A Shame" and "We'll Have It Made"). I expect this ACE release will put me in my place on that and provide more clarity for me on what his wider contribution was.

Can't wait for this release.

It’s on ITUNES right now!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    Are you sure?

ACE haven't even put it up on their 'Coming soon' section yet!

Cheers

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    By Jove, you’re right! Is this a first for Ace? I routinely check for their Rita Wright set there to no avail.

You can sample 30-second segments of each track on Amazon, too. It appears available for purchase at this time as downloads.

And here's the cover photo:

Name:  61MjPWl1T+L._SS500.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  57.5 KB

Universal have always had the contractual right to release Ace Motown CDs digitally [[and Ace don't), though I think this is the first time they've exercised it, or at least the first time they've done it before the physical release was out. Be assured, "While The City Sleeps" is still scheduled for release on CD in August - Ace have a crowded schedule at the moment and this is the earliest slot we could get.

Universal have always had the contractual right to release Ace Motown CDs digitally [[and Ace don't), though I think this is the first time they've exercised it, or at least the first time they've done it before the physical release was out. Be assured, "While The City Sleeps" is still scheduled for release on CD in August - Ace have a crowded schedule at the moment and this is the earliest slot we could get.
    Thanks ever, Keith. Hopefully this will perform well and Ace will relent and release their back catalogue to iTunes gradually.

That’s good to know! I thought someone had leaked it without ace’s consent!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Thanks ever, Keith. Hopefully this will perform well and Ace will relent and release their back catalogue to iTunes gradually.
    Ace would LOVE to release their back catalogue to iTunes, Amazon etc. But the majors [[Universal, Sony etc) make it a condition of leasing their material to appear on CDs that the companies who lease that material do NOT release it as downloads. They, the majors, retain that right to themselves, and that's why/how this has happened.

The booklet, crammed with photos, fax 'n' info and my deathless prose, remains the property of Ace, and will only be available with the CD. And the audio on the CD will, of course, be uncompressed.

Ace would LOVE to release their back catalogue to iTunes, Amazon etc. But the majors [[Universal, Sony etc) make it a condition of leasing their material to appear on CDs that the companies who lease that material do NOT release it as downloads. They, the majors, retain that right to themselves, and that's why/how this has happened.

The booklet, crammed with photos, fax 'n' info and my deathless prose, remains the property of Ace, and will only be available with the CD. And the audio on the CD will, of course, be uncompressed.
    That makes sense. Kinda “bubble-bursting,” but I get it. Thanks again.

So Universal/Sony have decided that they do not want the material that Ace has released to be available as downloads? Until now?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    So Universal/Sony have decided that they do not want the material that Ace has released to be available as downloads? Until now?
    I thought it was Universal/ Capitol.

Keith,

I know you have nothing to do with this, but I found it odd that all songs from "While The City Sleeps" are available on YouTube except 'In My Diary'. Listening to the songs from "The Second Time Around" album, the remastering is, as usual top notch, especially when compared to the previously released Japanese import. Looking forward to August and a chance to enjoy the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I thought it was Universal/ Capitol.
    Oh yeah Quinn I just said 'Universal/Sony' as a general term for the major music companies that own the music

@Keith_Hughes,
    Thanks for all the work you and the Ace team put into these releases. I will absolutely be picking this up on CD as I have done for many of your awesome projects!

Even though the tracks are available for streaming, I’m still waiting for the CD to hear the unreleased songs. However, I couldn’t resist “That’s What Girls are Made For”. It’s an entirely different arrangement from the original. It’s very similar to what Chuck Jackson was doing around that time! I wonder if he cut a version using the same track.