[REMOVE ADS]

Motown's Mountweazel

A "mountweazel" is a fictitious entry in a reference work with the object of revealing subsequent plagiarism or copyright infringement.

An example of this can be found in Don Waller's 1985 book, "The Motown Story", which contained the most accurate and complete listing of Motown and its subsidiaries' releases that had been completed up to that time. The entry in question was Motown 1061, TG's Voodoo Lounge / Snoots 'N' Thangs by the Joy Buzzers. This entry led to the non-existent Joy Buzzers being included in a list of Motown alumni.

Does anyone know of any other Motown or soul discographies that contain a deliberately incorrect entry?

This doesn't count as a deliberately incorrect entry [[more like an honest mistake). In the discography included with Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' 35th Anniversary Collection, there's an entry for "Your Love [[Is All I Need)"/"I Love You So" [[on the Fury label with cat. # 1002). While The Miracles did record a song called "Your Love" [[included on Hi! We're The Miracles and The Fabulous Miracles albums), Smokey & Co. never recorded on released anything on Fury Records.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    This doesn't count as a deliberately incorrect entry [[more like an honest mistake). In the discography included with Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' 35th Anniversary Collection, there's an entry for "Your Love [[Is All I Need)"/"I Love You So" [[on the Fury label with cat. # 1002). While The Miracles did record a song called "Your Love" [[included on Hi! We're The Miracles and The Fabulous Miracles albums), Smokey & Co. never recorded on released anything on Fury Records.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  21.1 KB
    That Fury record was by Carl Hogan and The Miracles, released in 1957, before Smokey's Miracles called themselves by that name. They were called The Matadors in 1957, and had only recorded a demo of "Adios My Desert Love" by that time. Hogan and his group were based in Los Angeles, and had also recorded for John Dolphin's Money/Cash labels.