[REMOVE ADS]

Captured: The Ruins of Detroit

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured...-detroit/2672/

Lots of pictures, but it isn't pretty.

Link provided by John Lester.

Not true!!! HAHA

Dave Clegg gave it to me!

They are amazing pictures though. The attention to the minute detail in those old buildings was wonderful. I am sure anyone who sees them will marvel at the clarity and detail.

thats terrible,from america's 3rd city to this.
    those art deco chandeliers,are worth a bomb over here.where has everyone gone?
    i'm depressed looking at those pics.at the same time they are well done and how about that salvadore dali like clock?

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    thats terrible,from america's 3rd city to this.
    those art deco chandeliers,are worth a bomb over here.where has everyone gone?
    i'm depressed looking at those pics.at the same time they are well done and how about that salvadore dali like clock?
    Tamla617, it's not really like that, Detroit all over. They give the wrong impression on purpose. The Denver Post was never a good newspaper to begin with [[I read the Rocky Mountain News mostly). They should discuss why Denver sucks over all as city and leave Detroit alone.

Clearly you're a Detroiter supporter Marv [[lol) but can I tell you about when I went there.

I went there in 1986 and WALKED from the hotel [[Days In) near the old Hudson store to Hitsville and those sights were plentiful up Woodward. It was heartbreaking to see it. That's all I saw on that visit...I only went to visit the museum. I never knew streets were so long until I walked up Woodward. Wow...I'd never seen door numbers more than 1000!

Later, in September 1990, I stayed at the Radisson [[ I think that was what it was called)....but it was basic...and I mean basic. If I said Prestatyn to the guys in the UK, they would know exactly what I mean by "basic". Clearly it been a wonderful hotel in its time but it was very run down. Walls and ceiling were peeling everywhere. [[BTW, Chicago was the same when I went there)

You probably know the museum fairly near to the Radisson which I visited. I got talking to the curator and he told me some real fascinating stories about the architecture in the theatres and nightspots in Detroit. None of which were around anymore.

I have to say that as a Brit, I was treated exceptionally well in Detroit. The people are very friendly

Does anyone know if the City of Detroit lets people take things? I mean, I don't know how bad of shape all those books are, or whether or not they have mold, but I can see Recycle, recycle, recycle. Plus maybe someone would like to have a nice book collection. What about old furniture that might be salvageable? If the city is going to let these things just sit there why not let good honest people put them to good use.

The United Artist Theater is hideous!

Detroit will rise again. People are being too pessimistic. The pictures were fascinating though.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Does anyone know if the City of Detroit lets people take things? I mean, I don't know how bad of shape all those books are, or whether or not they have mold, but I can see Recycle, recycle, recycle. Plus maybe someone would like to have a nice book collection. What about old furniture that might be salvageable? If the city is going to let these things just sit there why not let good honest people put them to good use.
    I don't think they really care. It's just not real safe going into some of those old buildings. When they tore down my old Elementary School in 2006, I noticed that all of the furniture and book cases full of books were still in the building as some of the outside walls were being demolished.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Detroit will rise again. People are being too pessimistic. The pictures were fascinating though.
    Amen! It is in the process of rebirth right now.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Clearly you're a Detroiter supporter Marv [[lol) but can I tell you about when I went there.

I went there in 1986 and WALKED from the hotel [[Days In) near the old Hudson store to Hitsville and those sights were plentiful up Woodward. It was heartbreaking to see it. That's all I saw on that visit...I only went to visit the museum. I never knew streets were so long until I walked up Woodward. Wow...I'd never seen door numbers more than 1000!

Later, in September 1990, I stayed at the Radisson [[ I think that was what it was called)....but it was basic...and I mean basic. If I said Prestatyn to the guys in the UK, they would know exactly what I mean by "basic". Clearly it been a wonderful hotel in its time but it was very run down. Walls and ceiling were peeling everywhere. [[BTW, Chicago was the same when I went there)

You probably know the museum fairly near to the Radisson which I visited. I got talking to the curator and he told me some real fascinating stories about the architecture in the theatres and nightspots in Detroit. None of which were around anymore.

I have to say that as a Brit, I was treated exceptionally well in Detroit. The people are very friendly
    Detroit is home. I know you do not know the history of what happened and how things started going wrong for the city of Detroit, but I would invite you to do a little research and reading about the city post 1967.

I first saw some of these pictures on the Old Forum......

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    That's true. Those pictures are several years old now and some of those buildings have demolished now.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'd bet those books are moldy. The dampness in winter and humidity in summer would get to them fairly quickly.

Yes Robb...but if they were Motown session logs or publicity pictures of say, Eddie Holland, Swinging Tigers, Ron & Bill, Marv Johnson or whoever......I bet you would want them..cos I know I woud!

Quote Originally Posted by paladin View Post
    Yes .. SDF owner Lowell Boileau was involved in a project which photographed the "Fabulous Ruins of Detroit" .

I think he posted some of the photos on the old forum ..

Here is the website ..

http://www.detroityes.com/toc.htm

Roger

honest man Guest
    What a cryin' shame, so much history and beutiful buildings, really why don't they spend money[ to renovate these places, so sad to see,especially when they build these ugly new monsters,disgraceful, i visited Detroit last year,to see hitsville, then on to other places, americans could not believe why we went to Detroit,[such a lovely place],at passport control in Canada they shook their heads and asked us why,but looking at those photos,maybe that's how they see things.

miss_lish Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Tamla617, it's not really like that, Detroit all over. They give the wrong impression on purpose. The Denver Post was never a good newspaper to begin with [[I read the Rocky Mountain News mostly). They should discuss why Denver sucks over all as city and leave Detroit alone.

Actually, the Denver Post was the more heralded newspaper, and the one to survive; the Rocky was more popular. Marv2 is right about one thing, Denver, unless you are a skier, mountaineer, or outdoorswoman does suck. There is no culture here; only urban sprawl. The mountains are majestic and beautiful and that is the draw. Many consider Colorado to be the most beautiful state in the Union; they may be right.

Miss Lish............forgive me for changing the subject, but have you met Elegant Soul? Cuz I think he's from Denver too! You two would have a hoot.

I showed the pictures to my family; they were shocked.

miss_lish Guest
    I interacted with Elegant Soul at StirFry; I don't really know him. Do you know he is racist, jobeterob? He has made racist comments toward me and others. I know he had or has other issues so that may have been the cause of some of his behavior. He is really intelligent and witty, and I enjoyed chatting with him here and at StirFry, but then he went all bizzarro.

miss_lish Guest
    I saw Miss Ross at the Fox Theater last time she was there. The city was very depressed and depressing. The Greektown area was not what I expected it to be; however, the Detroit River [[I think it was the Detroit River was captivating.) Black folks with yachts?! I had never seen that before. I wished I had taken more photos of the audience at the Theater. Stevie Wonder said many years ago, that Detroiters dress up; he didn't lie! I don't think there was an empty weave chair in the entire city the week prior to Miss Ross's concert. LOLOLOLOL!! And the concert was sold out, contrary to what has been written about her being hated there. I managed to get a photo with Michelle; Flo's daughter, which I would post here, but I don't want to compromise my integrity with regard to her maintaining her privacy. I found the people of Detroit to be warm, charming, and gracious. I had heard stories about the crime and violence, but as a woman traveling alone, I never felt threatened. There was one taxi cab driver who took very good care of me, and another who regaled me with stories about the early days of Motown. He was a musician, and although he didn't work for Motown, he knew many of the people who did. Even so, with all of the devastation, there was something about the place that was very intriguing; I will go back.
    Last edited by miss_lish; 02-10-2011 at 02:02 PM.

roger
    that link was/is ace thanks!
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-10-2011 at 04:09 PM.

and boys...if you get Keith Rylatt's latest book, you can see some of the photographs I took of places in Detroit that were connected to Motown and other Detroit labels. All out of use at that time [[except for United Sound Studios) and in a very different state to what they were way back then.

All those adddresses you find on Detroit labels...those were the places where I took the pictures I took.....

smark21 Guest
    The pictures come from a recent "coffee table" book documenting Detroit.

http://www.amazon.com/Yves-Marchand-.../dp/3869300426

uptight Guest
    As Marv2 said, the pictures in the article are several years old, before some of them were torn down. They were intriguing to me at that time, but I don't care to keep seeing them again again. The same goes with videos of Detroit "ruins" on Youtube. DEPRESSING. These things are too easy to photograph and cannot be considered art in a video or in photographs. All those journalists and video bloggers from elsewhere would go to Detroit and film all those same sites. Boring...

Journalists: Take a minute to Google some interesting, lively places, and film them instead...! LOL

topdiva1 Guest
    How tragic for a great American City to reach this level of abandonment. Yet in still America can find dollars to go over to rebuild other countries - and cannot rebuild itself. America is become much like the nosy neighbor - her house in ruins - but she is helping every body else.

Detroit needs to be saved from more ruin if at all possible - it will take a major effort to turn the city and state around.

Quote Originally Posted by topdiva1 View Post
    How tragic for a great American City to reach this level of abandonment. Yet in still America can find dollars to go over to rebuild other countries - and cannot rebuild itself. America is become much like the nosy neighbor - her house in ruins - but she is helping every body else.

Detroit needs to be saved from more ruin if at all possible - it will take a major effort to turn the city and state around.
    There is a reason America let Detroit go to partially ruin. Some strongly hoped it would go into full ruin and destruction. It is now being primed for "gentrification". This has happened in several large American Urban Centers over the last 25 years or so that I have witnessed.

If you find urban decay fascinating and want to see true, severe urban ruin then visit Camden, New Jersey!

miss_lish Guest

Wow! Not only is Tony all knowing about all things Motown; he is also well-read and can speak with authority and in great depth about foreign policy. Impressive!

Hey pretty soon the[ruins of detroit]will be as famous as the[ruins of greece]...hey greece has the colisium where the lions feasted and detroit has the lions who are feasted upon in a colisium.

rome has the coloseum,athens has the parthenon [[temple) on the athenian acropolis [[citadel)

Jai

You back on the hooch again!

LOL

Regardless of how current the ruins are, it is very bad news to see this happening in any American city. I didn't enjoy the comment on here that it is also happening elsewhere.

I recently read that WWII marked the end of the British empire and the rise of America and that 9/11 marked the beginning of the end of the American empire and the rise of China and India. I'm not sure if that is right [[we will see), but the decline of some American cities isn't encouraging. Three years ago, Canadians were buying up condos and houses in Arizona assuming there would be a price rebound; now they are finding their property is worth even less than 3 years ago.

Thanks Dave and John for the site.

I visited Detroit many times during my time as a Flight Attendant with the late and lamented PAN AM. Like my airline that was in its death throes after the Lockerbie bombing, Detroit and its people never seem to give up. My life with PAN AM for 19 years is gone. For Detroiters, I admire and respect their courage in trying to save their city. Its a beutiful city, and Detroit and its people will prevail, of that I am sure. I am still in contact with people there. after not being back since 1991. Must so something about that soon......Paulo xxxx

jobeterob - I don't wish to split hairs - but to be an 'Empire' you need to have a sovereign which rules over other countries. Queen Elizabeth is Sovereign to 50 countries as of Feb 2011. The British 'Empire' is still alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    jobeterob - I don't wish to split hairs - but to be an 'Empire' you need to have a sovereign which rules over other countries. Queen Elizabeth is Sovereign to 50 countries as of Feb 2011. The British 'Empire' is still alive and well.
    Yep!!

Its not called British Columbia for nothing!!

Rob

Ooooooo, even you have to admit to give the Brits the point this time!

So all you need to do is find a queen and hey presto. Do you know any? I don't suppose making 10,000 posts has any influence, though.

LOLOL

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    jai

you back on the hooch again!

Lol
    back?????i never left,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tamla617 View Post
    rome has the coloseum,athens has the parthenon [[temple) on the athenian acropolis [[citadel)
    rome has one too??? Hope it aint got a dome!!

lol,arr&bee!,rofl! lmoa........................! i did larf! at the last post that is!
    Last edited by tamla617; 02-14-2011 at 06:08 PM.

topdiva1 Guest
    There is a reason America let Detroit go to partially ruin. Some strongly hoped it would go into full ruin and destruction. It is now being primed for "gentrification". This has happened in several large American Urban Centers over the last 25 years or so that I have witnessed.
    With that being said - wise investors have already begun buying large chunks of once prime real estate in plans for the "gentrification" and the marketing of The New Detroit.

Camden New Jersey is yet another very said story in America - however I am not as hopeful for Camden as Detroit.

with that being said - wise investors have already begun buying large chunks of once prime real estate in plans for the "gentrification" and the marketing of the new detroit.

Camden new jersey is yet another very said story in america - however i am not as hopeful for camden as detroit.
    i was in new jersey once,when it was on another planet!

smark21 Guest
    East St. Louis, Illinois is another town that has been abandoned and allowed to die.

Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    East St. Louis, Illinois is another town that has been abandoned and allowed to die.
    I've heard that for years about East St. Louis. You can add Gary, Indiana to that list. It's been declining for decades now until it is no longer even talked about.

We have to keep these kids in school-didn't Kim Westin open a school in Detroit for disadvantaged kids?

topdiva1 Guest
    I've heard that for years about East St. Louis. You can add Gary, Indiana to that list. It's been declining for decades now until it is no longer even talked about.
    American cities - left to ruin. How crazy sad is that.

As crazy as having the money to pay for upkeep?

American cities - left to ruin. How crazy sad is that.

It's more sad than crazy to withhold investing in a city or area just because you do not care for the inhabitants. Then, once the place has gone into unbearable decline.......move back in with the money and take everything over!