[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eddie Kendricks and Diana Ross's affair

Having recently watched Eddie Kendricks Unsung, as well as reading several books on the Temptations; was their affair really just some short, term fling or was it alot deeper than that?

The reason why I ask is according Eddie's daughter they started dating during their Prime and Primette days, which was well before they joined Motown. However, years later after Eddie had married, which was 1965, Diana Ross was still turning up at Eddie's place causing a commotion. Was it some on and off affair? And why was Berry Gordy so angry over this particular affair, when Diana had relationships with Smokey Robinson and Eddie Holland?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy66 View Post
    Having recently watched Eddie Kendricks Unsung, as well as reading several books on the Temptations; was their affair really just some short, term fling or was it alot deeper than that?

The reason why I ask is according Eddie's daughter they started dating during their Prime and Primette days, which was well before they joined Motown. However, years later after Eddie had married, which was 1965, Diana Ross was still turning up at Eddie's place causing a commotion. Was it some on and off affair? And why was Berry Gordy so angry over this particular affair, when Diana had relationships with Smokey Robinson and Eddie Holland?
    Welcome to the forum Eddie, but this is a topic that is likely to quickly turn ugly. Prepare for the fall out..............

I think they remained close after they broke up - and my guess is that Eddie was probably tipping around his wife - and still seeing her on the side - which would explain her obsessive behavior about him. You can see they were still infatuated during TCB. Years later, I read that she broke down during RTL rehearsals singing I’m Gonna Make You Love Me and had the sheet music removed from the stage permanently. It’s also been said that she helped both he and David when they were struggling - so, it appears she retained at least a fondness for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Welcome to the forum Eddie, but this is a topic that is likely to quickly turn ugly. Prepare for the fall out..............
    Why? Do people on this Forum have an issue with this relationship.

Trust what Bluebrock says... you'll learn.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    It’s also been said that she helped both he and David when they were struggling - so, it appears she retained at least a fondness for decades.
    That is not true at all. A total fabrication.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    That is not true at all. A total fabrication.
    I must admit I am cynical about her helping David.

Most likely because most of us are here to discuss music, not gossip about rumors that arose from embellished stories that probably were sprung from lies concocted by jealous associates and embittered 'fans'.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Most likely because most of us are here to discuss music, not gossip about rumors that arose from embellished stories that probably were sprung from lies concocted by jealous associates and embittered 'fans'.
    Sorry, I was just asking. Plus I don't think it is just gossip. I just wanted something clarified, because there were descrpancies in what was said on the Unsung documentary and what has been said in books.

Sorry, I was just asking. Plus I don't think it is just gossip. I just wanted something clarified, because there were descrpancies in what was said on the Unsung documentary and what has been said in books.
    Don't take offense; my opinion is that there were only ever two people, and now only one person, who could answer the question.

It’s never been explained why she slapped Eddie across the face at their TCB rehearsals. Were they still involved at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    It’s never been explained why she slapped Eddie across the face at their TCB rehearsals. Were they still involved at that time?
    I personally believe they actually had an on and off relationship over the years. Hearing Patricia Kendricks discuss Diana on Unsung sounds painful.

I must admit I am cynical about her helping David.
    That's because it didn't happen. They were never even in touch. He makes things up. He writes like he's writing a fairy story or something. In order to preserve the peace here, I am not going to go into all the reasons why I know what he said is not true.....it just isn't!
    Last edited by marv2; 06-01-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Diane needs to be the center of attention and because the others thought enough of Eddie to bring him take out and not her, pissed her off. They were never that involved. Eddie basically hit it and quit it [[You know what I mean?) and she just went nuts. Eddie had a lot of ladies in between his marriages.

What a pity that artists' private lives can't stay private!

I personally believe they actually had an on and off relationship over the years. Hearing Patricia Kendricks discuss Diana on Unsung sounds painful.
    I am sorry, but you cannot go by that alone. There are people on this forum that went crazy when Pat gave up that little tidbit on the show. They just don't want to believe the "uglies of life" LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    What a pity that artists' private lives can't stay private!
    We can help and with that, I am done with this thread!

We can help and with that, I am done with this thread!
    Me too, Marv.

Diane needs to be the center of attention and because the others thought enough of Eddie to bring him take out and not her, pissed her off. They were never that involved. Eddie basically hit it and quit it [[You know what I mean?) and she just went nuts. Eddie had a lot of ladies in between his marriages.
    But if they started dating from the days of The Primes and Primettes which was well before Motown and they were still having some affair after he got married, then it was obvious more than a " hit and run" thing. I am well aware Eddie was a ladies man, but that didn't mean he wasn't more involved with some women than others.

Umm,excuse me,but hasn't this been discussed before?????????

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Well, I am new here. I am not aware what has been posted in the past. I just thought you could post any topic as long as it's Motown related.
    I didn't know this would be such a sensitive topic for people.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I think they remained close after they broke up - and my guess is that Eddie was probably tipping around his wife - and still seeing her on the side - which would explain her obsessive behavior about him. You can see they were still infatuated during TCB. Years later, I read that she broke down during RTL rehearsals singing I’m Gonna Make You Love Me and had the sheet music removed from the stage permanently. It’s also been said that she helped both he and David when they were struggling - so, it appears she retained at least a fondness for decades.
    Finally, some very interesting information. It's fascinating how Diana and Mary kept being close to members of the Temptations over the years. Very telling that Diana couldn't go through doing that song during the RTL rehearsals! Wow...

Other than that, Eddy, yeah, I'd leave this topic in the dust. Let's keep it civil, guys.

Btw, is any kind of talk about romantic relationships frowned upon here? I just want to know what type of topics I should post in the future.

Btw, is any kind of talk about romantic relationships frowned upon here? I just want to know what type of topics I should post in the future.
    Gossip and rumor topics typically flame out. This topic specifically allows for the anti Diana crowd to do their usual thing but at least claim they stayed on topic. It would be the same issue if you start a post on any of Mary Wilson's sexual relationships, fact or fiction. The anti Mary crowd would rush in to bash her but feel they did it "legally" because of the topic. What kinds of topics should you post in the future? Music related. So much music at Motown to be discussed, that there's very little reason to discuss their private lives, particularly as a main topic. [[Occasionally private lives inevitably affect the music and so sometimes crop up in the general discussions.) Another good tip is to utilize the search feature. Had you done that before posting, you may have discovered that the topic has been covered within the last few months...if Ralph never deleted it...and I believe even further back than that there's another thread about it, and you would've probably learned all you "needed" to know on the subject. You came on the scene posting great music threads. I'd stick to that. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Gossip and rumor topics typically flame out. This topic specifically allows for the anti Diana crowd to do their usual thing but at least claim they stayed on topic. It would be the same issue if you start a post on any of Mary Wilson's sexual relationships, fact or fiction. The anti Mary crowd would rush in to bash her but feel they did it "legally" because of the topic. What kinds of topics should you post in the future? Music related. So much music at Motown to be discussed, that there's very little reason to discuss their private lives, particularly as a main topic. [[Occasionally private lives inevitably affect the music and so sometimes crop up in the general discussions.) Another good tip is to utilize the search feature. Had you done that before posting, you may have discovered that the topic has been covered within the last few months...if Ralph never deleted it...and I believe even further back than that there's another thread about it, and you would've probably learned all you "needed" to know on the subject. You came on the scene posting great music threads. I'd stick to that. Good luck!
    I agree with RanRan79. There are certain Motown artists' names that, whether it's music related or not, will bring up the viciousness of several forum's members. It will start as attacks on the artists itself and turn into a name calling among three or four of the same forum members. For those, many forum members use the ignore feature.

As RanRan79, stick with the music itself. I would recommend that if you mention an artist's name, be careful of the words you use UNLESS you are looking to see if you can ruffle some feathers [[in a bad way). You probably could already see in this thread [[I did) those who will bluntly or suggestively cause your thread to go down hill.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I agree with RanRan79. There are certain Motown artists' names that, whether it's music related or not, will bring up the viciousness of several forum's members. It will start as attacks on the artists itself and turn into a name calling among three or four of the same forum members. For those, many forum members use the ignore feature.

As RanRan79, stick with the music itself. I would recommend that if you mention an artist's name, be careful of the words you use UNLESS you are looking to see if you can ruffle some feathers [[in a bad way). You probably could already see in this thread [[I did) those who will bluntly or suggestively cause your thread to go down hill.
    Quite frankly I don't think anyone has really attacked Diana in this thread. I just get a vibe that people are just sensitive to such discussions.

Quite frankly I don't think anyone has really attacked Diana in this thread. I just get a vibe that people are just sensitive to such discussions.
    Its old tired news and RanRan79 post summed it up beautifully.

And that's the point we were making. If you want to post topics about the personal lives of Diana Ross and Mary Wilson, specifically, then you have to be aware that there's a portion of their fandom who are sensitive to that and cause threads to spiral out of control because of it. So it's best to stick to music in a forum about a music record label.

That's because it didn't happen. They were never even in touch. He makes things up. He writes like he's writing a fairy story or something. In order to preserve the peace here, I am not going to go into all the reasons why I know what he said is not true.....it just isn't!
    A) You don’t know what I know.

B) Sometimes you don’t even know what YOU know. [[Want examples? Let me know how many examples you would like me to provide.)

C) I stated “it has been said,” because I did not witness it - however I believe it to be true or very likely to be because of one source who still lives in Detroit and knows a thing or two about monies or ways Miss Ross helps out those she wishes to - and does not.

D) I do not believe David Ruffin EVER said to you, ”I am not in touch with Diana.” So I do count you as a source on this. It’s quite possible she may have learned of David’s needs through a mutual acquaintance- like maybe Eddie. I doubt very much Diana was in touch with Mary Wells when she helped her out. If you have qualified your belief they were not in touch as an opinion instead of fact as presented, maybe.

Geeesh [[WHERE is Frank Nelson when you need him ?)
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 06-03-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Against my better wishes I will post in this thread. I saw Diana in concert in June 1991. Diana announced to the crowd that David had just passed away. The audience gasped. There was both a fondness and sadness in her voice when she announced it.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Yes. 17,362 times. I've counted. But give the new poster his chance, I guess.

Why anyone anywhere anytime thinks they have the ability / right / knowledge etc to comment on any other person's love life is beyond my scope of understanding.

Most biographies and autobiographies of people of notoriety talk about these issues and are part of the historical record..Eleanor Roosevelt’s, Barbra Streisand’s, George Washington’s love lives have all been discussed ad infinitum...why should Motown figures be any different??

Most biographies and autobiographies of people of notoriety talk about these issues and are part of the historical record..Eleanor Roosevelt’s, Barbra Streisand’s, George Washington’s love lives have all been discussed ad infinitum...why should Motown figures be any different??
    I agree. The reason I made this topic was because what I read and watch in a biography and a documentary about the Temptations, specifically Eddie Kendricks. It's not as if I pick this information up from The National Enquirer and I started gossipping about it. Some of the information came from Eddie's own daughter. Of course the initial interest was because of the music but that doesn't mean we can't be interested in other aspects of these artists lives. For instance I was curious whether Eddie had step children as well as his 3 official children. Because although I know he had at least one child with his wife, Patricia, there has been other information stating that he had 3 children with her and I was assuming he helped bring her children from a previous relationships.
    Some times you are curious of other aspects of your favourite artists lives. It's just human nature.

I agree. The reason I made this topic was because what I read and watch in a biography and a documentary about the Temptations, specifically Eddie Kendricks. It's not as if I pick this information up from The National Enquirer and I started gossipping about it. Some of the information came from Eddie's own daughter. Of course the initial interest was because of the music but that doesn't mean we can't be interested in other aspects of these artists lives. For instance I was curious whether Eddie had step children as well as his 3 official children. Because although I know he had at least one child with his wife, Patricia, there has been other information stating that he had 3 children with her and I was assuming he helped bring her children from a previous relationships.
    Some times you are curious of other aspects of your favourite artists lives. It's just human nature.
    I get where you're coming from. That's why biographical books [[if anyone still reads those) are such great sellers. People have a curiosity about the lives of stars. Some stars were very, very good at acknowledging their lives would become subject to curiosity and complied with the system with amazing skill [[I'm thinking of actress Joan Crawford). When we get together with friends or family who like the same entertainer, we will talk about this kind of stuff, but it's in the privacy of our homes and it just a whole different vibe.

I think where things get prickly is when it comes to forums like this, it's no longer private conversation- it becomes public and the general public tends to feel that because they can remain anonymous, they can say anything. Now simple curiosity turns into something vicious and very ugly. It's not just here. I see it in forums for my favorite television shows [[and it's amazing how G-rated, old 60's sitcoms can generate some incredibly nasty yapping amongst fans.) A buddy of mine told me he left a forum for the Prog Rock group YES because the fans were bashing left and right 24 hours a day.

So, don't take offense. It ain't no put down of you. If you were asking these same questions of a fellow fan and you were doing it face to face, no doubt, you'd end up having a very exciting conversation. Unfortunately, it's the nature of social media that things can go off the rails exceedingly fast.
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 06-03-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
    I get where you're coming from. That's why biographical books [[if anyone still reads those) are such great sellers. People have a curiosity about the lives of stars. Some stars were very, very good at acknowledging their lives would become subject to curiosity and complied with the system with amazing skill [[I'm thinking of actress Joan Crawford). When we get together with friends or family who like the same entertainer, we will talk about this kind of stuff, but it's in the privacy of our homes and it just a whole different vibe.

I think where things get prickly is when it comes to forums like this, it's no longer private conversation- it becomes public and the general public tends to feel that because they can remain anonymous, they can say anything. Now simple curiosity turns into something vicious and very ugly. It's not just here. I see it in forums for my favorite television shows [[and it's amazing how G-rated, old 60's sitcoms can generate some incredibly nasty yapping amongst fans.) A buddy of mine told me he left a forum for the Prog Rock group YES because the fans were bashing left and right 24 hours a day.

So, don't take offense. It ain't no put down of you. If you were asking these same questions of a fellow fan and you were doing it face to face, no doubt, you'd end up having a very exciting conversation. Unfortunately, it's the nature of social media that things can go off the rails exceedingly fast.
    That is true. In general, most fans do have a curiosity of their favourites private lives, it's human nature. For instance one of the reasons why I believe Mary Wilson book outsold Diana Ross's bio by far, was because she touched alot more on their private lives and she didn't sugar coat everything. I personally don't like celebrity autobiographies where they just reguitate information about their career, what most fans know about anyway and don't offer any new information. I like Eddie Kendricks stance about writing memoirs; If he couldn't tell the gospel he wasn't going to say or write anything.

You are right Eddy. Martha Reeves regretted that her first book was so sanitized and was considering writing an updated version that spilled the means more. Some people here get very touchy about Diana Ross’ life. Why she should be treated any differently is beyond me. We are all fallible.

That is true. In general, most fans do have a curiosity of their favourites private lives, it's human nature. For instance one of the reasons why I believe Mary Wilson book outsold Diana Ross's bio by far, was because she touched alot more on their private lives and she didn't sugar coat everything. I personally don't like celebrity autobiographies where they just reguitate information about their career, what most fans know about anyway and don't offer any new information. I like Eddie Kendricks stance about writing memoirs; If he couldn't tell the gospel he wasn't going to say or write anything.
    I'll be very honest in saying that I do get interested in some of the details of the lives my favorite entertainers. But I completely get how some information can ignite the fires of fans. I know it isn't logical, but sometimes if you tear down a celebrity that is your favorite, you do tend to take it personally, as if your tastes are being attacked. Yes, as I said, it ain't logical at all and no matter how many times someone may tell me not to take it personally, I'm afraid it's the emotions of it more than the logic that takes over. So I kinda get it how things get out of hand sometimes. I think we all tend to be very passionate about the music, art and entertainers we like. It's like what people used to say, "There are 2 things you never discuss: religion and politics." Sometimes I add music to that mix as well!

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post

I think where things get prickly is when it comes to forums like this, it's no longer private conversation- it becomes public and the general public tends to feel that because they can remain anonymous, they can say anything. Now simple curiosity turns into something vicious and very ugly.
    Bingo. It is a very common thing to be interested in the salacious details of celebrities' private lives and that interest is not a Motown monopoly. But where Motown is concerned, there are two groups of fans, Diana Ross fans and Mary Wilson fans, who contain two sub groups of fans that are so fanatical that they seem to have internalized the "feud" between the two women, as if the fans themselves are involved. As weird as that is, it is what it is. Aside from hunting these folks down and forcing them into psychiatric therapy, there's nothing we can do that keeps them from igniting a war of words about two women most of them have never met, and almost none of them actually know. [[I do not count spending a few minutes with a singer during a concert or party as knowing them.) So to the larger point, while it might make sense that we should be able to talk their private lives, there's an uncivil element who wouldn't allow it, so it's best to stay on the music. So much music to talk...

Bingo. It is a very common thing to be interested in the salacious details of celebrities' private lives and that interest is not a Motown monopoly. But where Motown is concerned, there are two groups of fans, Diana Ross fans and Mary Wilson fans, who contain two sub groups of fans that are so fanatical that they seem to have internalized the "feud" between the two women, as if the fans themselves are involved. As weird as that is, it is what it is. Aside from hunting these folks down and forcing them into psychiatric therapy, there's nothing we can do that keeps them from igniting a war of words about two women most of them have never met, and almost none of them actually know. [[I do not count spending a few minutes with a singer during a concert or party as knowing them.) So to the larger point, while it might make sense that we should be able to talk their private lives, there's an uncivil element who wouldn't allow it, so it's best to stay on the music. So much music to talk...
    Great post RanRan79. Spot on.,

WOW RanRan79 You nailed it perfectly! More so than I've ever read!
    Last edited by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance; 06-04-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Eddy66,
    Welcome to the forum and you seem to have rekindled a bit of idiotic behavior that takes place here under certain thread topics. You walked into one dude and the result is not your fault. I'll let this thread stand a bit longer but if it really goes south I'll zap it.

Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Eddy66,
    Welcome to the forum and you seem to have rekindled a bit of idiotic behavior that takes place here under certain thread topics. You walked into one dude and the result is not your fault. I'll let this thread stand a bit longer but if it really goes south I'll zap it.
    I just think people are being over sensitive over nothing.

Why continue to pour gas onto the dying embers? Let it go already! What did you think of their vocal pairing on “Why” from the DR/Supremes and Temptations album? It’s really a powerful arrangement. I recall several forum members used to share my one complaint with the vinyl version in that there was a lot of distortion in the audio maybe due to a pressing error. The digital release that was released several years ago did not have the distortion.
    Last edited by jobucats; 06-04-2018 at 09:18 PM.

What did you think of their vocal pairing on “Why” from the DR/Supremes and Temptations album? It’s really a powerful arrangement. I recall several forum members used to share my one complaint with the vinyl version in that there was a lot of distortion in the audio maybe due to a pressing error. The digital release that was released several years ago did not have the distortion.
    Jobucats, would you create a separate thread for your question? That way we can discuss the duets and leave this thread to the people who care about the subject.

Jobucats, would you create a separate thread for your question? That way we can discuss the duets and leave this thread to the people who care about the subject.
    I’ll leave it up to Ralph to moderate my posts which have never been disparaging.

I’ll leave it up to Ralph to moderate my posts which have never been disparaging.
    Please re-read my message, as I believe you have misunderstood my point. You asked about "Why Must We Fall In Love" and I'm asking if you would create a thread separate from the one we are currently in so that we may discuss that song, as well as the other duets between the two groups, without revisiting this thread to do it. I didn't want to create the thread myself and appear to co-opt your question as if it were my own. Thanks.

Please re-read my message, as I believe you have misunderstood my point. You asked about "Why Must We Fall In Love" and I'm asking if you would create a thread separate from the one we are currently in so that we may discuss that song, as well as the other duets between the two groups, without revisiting this thread to do it. I didn't want to create the thread myself and appear to co-opt your question as if it were my own. Thanks.
    The same needs to be done on the Eaten Alive thread where the topic has been switched over to Red Hot Rhythm and Blues. Your message came across to me as you were taking on the role of the administrator. No worries!

RanRan why are you rubbing everyone up the wrong way today? First soulster, now jobucats. You need to calm down. Seriously.

The same needs to be done on the Eaten Alive thread where the topic has been switched over to Red Hot Rhythm and Blues. Your message came across to me as you were taking on the role of the administrator. No worries!
    I think it's much too late to switch topics for Red Hot from EA. Lol I don't think it's too late to switch topics from Diana and Eddie's rumored affair to Diana and Eddie's musical duets.