[REMOVE ADS]

Was Eddie Kendricks underrated compared to David Ruffin

Hi, I am new here.
    I was wondering why was Eddie K so underrated compared to Ruffin? I believe it was his voice that gave The Temptations their unique sound.

I also believe his pretty boy looks were held against him. It seems he was seen as eye candy first before being seen as a great talent.

I don't think Eddie's looks had anything to do with it, but I do think he's underrated in comparison to David. Years ago I had a "debate" with a couple of relatives about Eddie vs David and I think I was the only one arguing that Eddie was as good a singer as David. IMO the two men shouldn't be compared. Vocally they are very different, achieving different approaches to a particular song. Honestly it's the same reason why I don't like comparing singers period. The only thing that should matter is if one has vocal ability or not. Once the vocals are established, what does he or she bring to a song? It's art and it should be viewed [[or in this case, heard) as such. Eddie's tenor was brilliantly sweet. I think he worked best at conveying love and romance. David had an edge to his voice that made the heartbreak songs and pain songs come alive. David also possessed one of those "tear the church down" voices and so because of that, people often view those kinds of singers as "better than". [[IMO it's the same thing that causes people to sometimes compare Diana Ross to other female singers unfavorably, because her voice isn't "church" enough.)

I don't think Eddie get's the respect he's due, vocally, although he most certainly is recognized as being a serious component to the Tempts' success.

I don't think so. The songs the Tempts recorded with Eddie on lead are bona fide classics now. He also had a much more successful solo career than David.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I don't think so. The songs the Tempts recorded with Eddie on lead are bona fide classics now. He also had a much more successful solo career than David.
    His solo career was definetly more successful than David's.
    The reason why I think his looks have something to do with it, is if you go on YouTube for instance and read comments about songs where Eddie sings lead many of the comments revolve around how good looking was, his unique vocals prowness is an after thought. On the other hand Ruffin gets praise for his talent as a singer first and foremost.

I actually believe when Eddie left the Temptations to go solo he went out of his way to play down his looks.

Eddie kendricks had the best first tenor in soul music history,yes i know that some will say-what about clyde-smokey-curtis?great singers all but eddie had that once in a lifetime tenor that was just...it,and no he wasn't underrated next to david as david wasn't a tenor,the classic temptations were,a once in a lifetime vocal group whose like we will never see again,a perfect blend of great voices each of who could sing lead or contribute to their outstanding harmony,and each songwriter knew how to use em to the ultimate effect,be it smokey with eddie[the way you do the things you do]david[my girl]or norman with eddie[girl why you wanna make me blue]david[ain't too proud to beg..no eddy66 not underrated but complimented-temptations forever!

Another thing. David and Eddie were very much alike, but at the same time very different. Both could be pretty hardcore if you made them angry. On the other side of things, both were very nice and very generous. Eddie had the more serious personality, while David was like "f**k it!" LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Another thing. David and Eddie were very much alike, but at the same time very different. Both could be pretty hardcore if you made them angry. On the other side of things, both were very nice and very generous. Eddie had the more serious personality, while David was like "f**k it!" LOL!
    David was abusive towards women. So as talented as he was, I have always had reservations about him. Eddie's main issue were his mood swings, which he himself acknowledge.

Both great singers. I love Eddie but David is one of my top 5 male singers.

I don't think Eddie is that underrated compared to David... as Marv says he did have the more successful solo career, and led many a classic Temptation song.

I also agree with RanRan that Eddie and David can't really be compared in terms of singing because they were such different singers. I guess this is why they worked so well together... their voices just clicked. "One More For The Lonely Hearts Club" just epitomises this for me... David's raw, soulful, raspy tones and Eddie's sweet, pure, angelic voice...

Each of them had quality voices and each sang lead on the Temps biggest hits. But when they traded lines in songs as in Your my everything they created magic Love the Temptations classic line up

I think they’re voices were essential for The Temptations sound. I think Ruffin commercial is what people gravitated towards. The producers made Ruffin the front man so I think that’s where people think he’s better. And every single that dropped with Ruffin was a hit. And the fans kept buying it. So I think that’s where people say David was better.

They actually had more hits after David left. More of their songs hit the top 10 and they had more number 1s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy66 View Post
    They actually had more hits after David left. More of their songs hit the top 10 and they had more number 1s.
    We were considering whether Eddie Kendricks was underrated compared to David Ruffin. the fact that the group continued to score hits after David's 4 year run with the group doesn't add in. The Temptations have gone on for decades since David's been out of the group so it doesn't make sense to compare his work in the 4 years he was in the group to the rest of the time afterwards.

Nah I don't think his contributions to the Temptations are overlooked at all. Now if we were talking about Richard Street... then you have a case then.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Nah I don't think his contributions to the Temptations are overlooked at all. Now if we were talking about Richard Street... then you have a case then.
    Now Richard was definitely underrated and in my opinion under appreciated. Other than Dennis, and perhaps Ali Woodson, Richard Street was the best replacement the Tempts ever had. He could sing, he could do the choreography and he had an "entertainer's personality". I had seen them many times in concert and Richard had that audience rapport better than just about any guy that had ever been the group.

Yeah Richard seemed to be the most engaging Tempt...

I am not saying Eddie was underrated overall, I am comparing him to David Ruffin, specifically. He was probably the most popular Temptation, especially with the ladies. But I do believe when it come to his actual talent it was overlooked compared to David Ruffin.

I am not saying Eddie was underrated overall, I am comparing him to David Ruffin, specifically. He was probably the most popular Temptation, especially with the ladies. But I do believe when it come to his actual talent it was overlooked compared to David Ruffin.
    Because it was David who had MY GIRL.

Eddie always had his few share of hits, myself grown up with "Get Ready" and "The Way You Do The Things You Do" here and there, but "My Girl" was / is their single, quintessential, their first pop number one, and if on the history books references just one song they are most known for, that they have cemented their spot on pop culture for, it would be "My Girl".

And I could only assume, for most people of the initial period's first impression / exposure to the song, would probably be when viewing the Temptations on Ed Sullivan, fronted by David Ruffin.

Naw Eddie held his own and was damn good at it.

Eddie comes a close second to me after my all time favourite Levi Stubbs, not sure Eddie ever got the dues he deserved, like David's vocal but only for a limited time, I could listen to Eddie non stop, have every solo album he did [[great now with SD cards in cars) what a talent and such a great guy, will never forget the last tour of the UK he did with David.

Quote Originally Posted by jaybs View Post
    Eddie comes a close second to me after my all time favourite Levi Stubbs, not sure Eddie ever got the dues he deserved, like David's vocal but only for a limited time, I could listen to Eddie non stop, have every solo album he did [[great now with SD cards in cars) what a talent and such a great guy, will never forget the last tour of the UK he did with David.
    I actually think Eddie had the most versatile voice in the group. People know him for his falsetto. But his natural range was alot deeper. You can hear this on a Ball of Confusion, where he sounds very different from Get Ready.

I don't feel that Eddie Kendricks was underrated. While David Ruffin is rightfully remembered for the Temptations classics that he sang lead on [["My Girl", "Ain't Too Proud To Beg", "I Wish It Would Rain" and others), you've gotta remember Eddie for "Just My Imagination [[Runnin' Away With Me)"*, "You're My Everything", "Girl [[Why You Wanna Make Me Blue)", "The Way You Do The Things You Do" [[and more). And don't forget that Eddie Kendricks established the "first tenor/falsetto" role in The Tempts that would be continued with Damon Harris after Eddie left the group [[just as David Ruffin's role in the group would be filled by Dennis Edwards).

*All do respect for the classic "My Girl" but, "Just My Imagination" was another landmark hit for The Temptations [[and their 3rd hit to top the R&B/Pop charts).

Thanks for the clarification because that's how I took your original post. I don't think anyone ever questions Eddie's significance to the group. He's the lead singer on several of the Tempts' biggest hits ever. But in comparison of talents between he and David, I think it's obvious which one people tend to think of as the great singer. When talking greatest soul singers, I've seen David make many a list. I don't believe I've ever seen Eddie make one.

That's true but that may also be because unlike Eddie, David was an animated, dynamic performer that gave the Temptations that UMPH...

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I[[IMO it's the same thing that causes people to sometimes compare Diana Ross to other female singers unfavorably, because her voice isn't "church" enough.)
    Who uses that as a barometer of a great singer? I hate that hootin', and hollerin', and bellowing. If Diana had been "church," I never would have melted. I would have quickly changed the radio channel.

Give me Diana Ross and Karen Carpenter any day of the week - two of the best singers of the pop era.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 06-02-2018 at 04:49 PM.

I always thought of the 2 singers as equal in importance. For sure, both were featured on more than a handful of classic stand out songs. It was a blessing to have Eddie and David in the same group. They both were equiped to go it alone but to have them in the same groupl made the Temptation even more interesting [[not to mention the other guys in the group). Back in the day, when word got out about David leaving the group, I wondered why in the world would he want to do that [[as the group was so popular). I couldn't imagine the group without David in it but Dennis was definitely the right person to shore up that hole.
    Last edited by mr_june; 06-04-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Levi Stubbs is also my all time favorite. I also got the opportunity to see Eddie about a year before he passed at Chassies in Detroit. He was still giving it his all. Eddie may not have gotten the recognition he deserved by the media or the industry, but everywhere he went, the people let him know how loved and appreciated he and his music were to them. I have all of Eddies albums and even the album tracks were great. He was one of those artists that loved singing, being onstage and making his audiences happy.

I think Eddie was under rated compared to David, but not in my book…… I could never compare them but I can say this, without question they are two of the greatest singers of the last century and both absolutely the top of their field in their specific style. Both lost their voices, I saw them on a few occasions when they were definitely not at their best, but they were still amazing to watch and hear!

Completely agree Marv2, Eddie received so much respect & warmth on that last Tour, I have to admit as I interviewed him tears filled my eyes, yes he still radiated such genuine warmth, though not the same man I had spent time with many times with The Tempations.

Completely agree Marv2, Eddie received so much respect & warmth on that last Tour, I have to admit as I interviewed him tears filled my eyes, yes he still radiated such genuine warmth, though not the same man I had spent time with many times with The Tempations.
    Eddie seemed like one of those people that everyone loved. People talked about his mood swings, but overall he was very loved. Even his ex wife said she still loved him. Even Shelly Berger, The Tempts manager stated how " deep and sensitive " he was. He said nice things about Eddie compared to David.