[REMOVE ADS]

Trailer for Sammy Davis Jr. Documentary

I read somewhere PBS was gonna air the documentary on their American Masters show soon. But no date... the documentary has been shown independently.

A truly great performer. The 60's lps are superb.

Truly, he was one of the great voices of the 20th Century. Just amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

I read somewhere PBS was gonna air the documentary on their American Masters show soon. But no date... the documentary has been shown independently.
    I saw this documentary a few months ago at a theater here in Detroit. It was awesome, showing the highs and many lows of Sammy Davis Jr., one being an interesting thing happening during the inauguration of President Kennedy. I will definitely watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Truly, he was one of the great voices of the 20th Century. Just amazing.
    Totally agree. He was a great all round entertainer which perhaps sometimes detracts from the fact that he had one of the all time great voices. His comedic skills, dancing, and presenting skills all added to the mix,but it is that voice that always does it for me.

Thanks for the heads up! I've been watching Laugh In on Decades for the past few months. Sammy's appearences on that show are nothing short of great. He along with guys like Cab Calloway are just balls of pure energy when they are on stage and I truly enjoy watching them. Sammy was one of the greats for sure and I look forward to seeing this documentary. Anyone know if he had children?

^ He had four. One biological [[Tracy Davis, born in 1961) and three adopted [[Marc, Jeff and Manny).

^ He had four. One biological [[Tracy Davis, born in 1961) and three adopted [[Marc, Jeff and Manny).
    Thanks Midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Thanks Midnight.
    No prob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Totally agree. He was a great all round entertainer which perhaps sometimes detracts from the fact that he had one of the all time great voices. His comedic skills, dancing, and presenting skills all added to the mix,but it is that voice that always does it for me.
    No less than Lena Horne, when promoting her 'The Men In My Life', made mention of SDJ's being one of the best singers and how we had to overlook the rather shuck-and-jive nature of his personality. His duet on this lp, the song 'I Wish I'd Met You', is just superb.

I will definitely look out this one. Thanks for posting this.
    One of the best interviews I watched was when Sammy was interviewed by the Late Gil Noble on his show "Like it Is," which aired on WABC in NYC. Talk about keeping it real! I don't know who owns the archives to Gil Noble's show, as he interviewed some of our great legends such as Hazel Scott, Sarah Vaughn, Betty Carter, just to name a few. it is a shame that these interviews are sitting in a vault somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    I will definitely look out this one. Thanks for posting this.
    One of the best interviews I watched was when Sammy was interviewed by the Late Gil Noble on his show "Like it Is," which aired on WABC in NYC. Talk about keeping it real! I don't know who owns the archives to Gil Noble's show, as he interviewed some of our great legends such as Hazel Scott, Sarah Vaughn, Betty Carter, just to name a few. it is a shame that these interviews are sitting in a vault somewhere.
    Loved LIS! I wonder if NYC's Museum of Broadcasting has them?

Cant wait for this. Love Mr Sammy Davis Jr he was the Michael Jackson of the 50s and 60s.