[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Detroit R&B Hits: 1970

    Hi all,

    I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of where I could find a list of the top r&b hits in Detroit specifically, 1970 - August and September. I have tried Billboard and Cash-box, keep coming up short. All I can find is Detroit radio surveys about all genres, but I really want the R&B list specifically. Any place where to start?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Maybe local libraries have local radio station countdown lists -

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmaarrttaa View Post
    Hi all,

    I was wondering if anyone had knowledge of where I could find a list of the top r&b hits in Detroit specifically, 1970 - August and September. I have tried Billboard and Cash-box, keep coming up short. All I can find is Detroit radio surveys about all genres, but I really want the R&B list specifically. Any place where to start?

    Thanks.
    You'd have to search for weekly playlists for stations like WCHB.

  4. #4
    Might want to start here: http://www.las-solanas.com/arsa/stations.php

    Also, you may not want to completely rule out CKLW. They too were the "Sound of Detroit".

  5. #5
    WCHB 1440 AM
    DETROIT, MICHIGAN

    Week: 07/13/70
    Format: R&B

    WCHB - DETROIT
    1440 ON YOUR DIAL
    SUPER SOUL
    WEEK BEGINNING JULY 13, 1970

    1. Signed, Sealed, Delivered – Stevie Wonder
    2. Vibrations – Eric & Vikings
    3. Steal Away – Johnny Taylor
    4. Who’s Gonna Take The Blame - Miracles
    5. I Can’t See Myself – Detroit Emeralds
    6. The End Of Our Road – Marvin Gaye
    7. Right Now, Right Now – Al Green
    8. It’s A Shame – Spinners
    9. Rosemarie – Dynamic Tints
    10. Drop By My Place – Carl Carlton
    11. Groovy Situation – Gene Chandler
    12. Maybe – Three Degrees
    13. Since I Fell For You – Mavis Staples
    14. War – Edwin Starr
    15. Do You See My Love – Jr. Walker

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    WCHB - DETROIT
    1440 ON YOUR DIAL
    SUPER SOUL
    WEEK BEGINNING JULY 13, 1970

    1. Signed, Sealed, Delivered Stevie Wonder
    2. Vibrations Eric & Vikings
    3. Steal Away Johnny Taylor
    4. Whos Gonna Take The Blame - Miracles
    5. I Cant See Myself Detroit Emeralds
    6. The End Of Our Road Marvin Gaye
    7. Right Now, Right Now Al Green
    8. Its A Shame Spinners
    9. Rosemarie Dynamic Tints
    10. Drop By My Place Carl Carlton
    11. Groovy Situation Gene Chandler
    12. Maybe Three Degrees
    13. Since I Fell For You Mavis Staples
    14. War Edwin Starr
    15. Do You See My Love Jr. Walker
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  21.1 KB

    Wow! That list is incredibly Motown and Detroit-heavy!
    Last edited by robb_k; 06-01-2018 at 04:43 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  21.1 KB

    Wow! That list is incredibly Motown and Detroit-heavy!
    There was so, so much great music released in those days. A look at any local station playlist for any week would look amazing compared to today.

  8. #8
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  21.1 KB
    Out of a Top 15 songs list, 9 from Detroit, 3 from Memphis, 2 from Chicago and one from Philadelphia. Only 1 from The Philadelphia Sound in 1970???? NONE from L.A.??? NONE from New York???
    Chicago, like Detroit, had a ridiculous amount of local Soul talent. But WVON wouldn't have had as much as 2/3 to 3/4 of their play list from local artists.

  9. #9
    Also, try to look up the other soul radio station in Detroit, WJLB, 1400 on the AM dial. Like Marv said, don't rule out CKLW or WKNR!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  21.1 KB
    Out of a Top 15 songs list, 9 from Detroit, 3 from Memphis, 2 from Chicago and one from Philadelphia. Only 1 from The Philadelphia Sound in 1970???? NONE from L.A.??? NONE from New York???
    Chicago, like Detroit, had a ridiculous amount of local Soul talent. But WVON wouldn't have had as much as 2/3 to 3/4 of their play list from local artists.
    Are you saying that Detroit is selfish and evil? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #11
    Things sure have changed. I doubt 95% of local radio stations have DJs who actually play records anymore. Everything is packaged and syndicated. I hardly listen to music on the radio anymore but when I do, they don't do song intros so I'd better know who I'm listening to or I won't find out. Local radios used to not only introduce the next song but if they were generous and played five or six in a row, they'd tell you what you just heard. In 2018, most "D.J.s" are really just personality jocks. Good luck getting a break if you're a regional artist hoping to go national.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Are you saying that Detroit is selfish and evil? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  21.1 KB
    No! Just impressed that Detroit Soul was still so dominant. !970 was already after Motown's peak level of domination, and when The Sound of Philadelphia was taking off, and near the peak of Stax's success, and when Hi was starting to rocket upward, and Van McCoy, Bert Berns and Atlantic were all still doing well in New York, and Curtis Mayfield, Carl Davis at Brunswick/Dakar, and Billy Davis in Chicago were still going strong. It's just very surprising. If we saw those numbers in 1966 I wouldn't have been surprised[[Motown, Golden World/RicTic, Revilot/Solid Hit, Groovesville/Groove City. Thelma, Impact/Inferno, Wylie/Hester, MAH's/D-Town/WheelsvilleUSA, Pied Piper, Karen/Carla, Magic City, Riley's/Diamond Jim, Big D, Sidra/Drew). But, 1970 had only Motown, Wylie/Hester, and Armen Boladian's Westbound represented by that list. Ed Wingate's labels were gone, Thelma was gone, Solid Hitbound was gone, Mike Hanks was gone, Diamond Jim Riley was gone, Ollie McLaughlin's labels were no longer a factor, Harry Balk was now with Motown, Pied Piper was no longer a factor. It's just surprising. They really went overboard to support their local artists and companies.

    WVON was owned by The Chess Brothers. So, they had a vested interest in supporting, at least Chess artists. But, we never had our Top 15 so dominated by Chicago productions. And, I'd say that in 1970, Chicago's output was pretty close in quality and quantity to Detroit's. Maybe it's just a coincidence, and an unique situation. But, it seems mighty strange.

  13. #13
    Its always fascinating for me to read these radio charts. Especially when songs that Ive never heard of by artists I know nothing about, had top 5 hits on radio charts. Yet, never even bubbled under on the national charts. Jerry Oz is not wrong about todays radio. These days, you have to rely on YouTube, instagram, etc; for any type of promotion and exposure.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    It’s always fascinating for me to read these radio charts. Especially when songs that I’ve never heard of by artists I know nothing about, had top 5 hits on radio charts. Yet, never even bubbled under on the national charts. Jerry Oz is not wrong about today’s radio. These days, you have to rely on YouTube, instagram, etc; for any type of promotion and exposure.
    I like these old charts because they help me remember songs I had long forgotten. Like for instance "Vibrations" by Eric & Vikings. I just learned that they are still performing around Detroit.

  15. #15
    Hi Marv; about "Vibrations"; years ago, I had gotten a copy of the billboard R & B chart book, and one day remembered a record called "Vibrations" but could not remember the artist; so I tried to look it up on the Billboard chart book; to my amazement, it was not listed. For the life of me, I wondered how could such a HUGE HIT in the Detroit area not be listed? To this day, I guess it was a huge regional hit, but was not able to break nationally.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by stingbeelee View Post
    Hi Marv; about "Vibrations"; years ago, I had gotten a copy of the billboard R & B chart book, and one day remembered a record called "Vibrations" but could not remember the artist; so I tried to look it up on the Billboard chart book; to my amazement, it was not listed. For the life of me, I wondered how could such a HUGE HIT in the Detroit area not be listed? To this day, I guess it was a huge regional hit, but was not able to break nationally.
    Stingbeelee, I now what you mean. It wasn't until recent years did I realize that most of America never heard all of those great records by Canadian artists that we heard growing up and listening to CKLW. Remember Can-Con? Where they were required to play a certain percentage of Canadian Content music, artists, songs etc. There were a ton of them and the rest of the country never even heard them. Speaking of "Vibrations", check this out:


  17. #17
    When I was a young kid, we heard The Supremes, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder all the time. I just assumed that they were local groups making records just for us and our radio stations! LOL! I had no clue that people were listening to them all over the World back then.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    When I was a young kid, we heard The Supremes, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder all the time. I just assumed that they were local groups making records just for us and our radio stations! LOL! I had no clue that people were listening to them all over the World back then.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  21.1 KB
    That might not have been true about those stars, but it WAS true about Linda Griner, Carolyn Crawford, Frances Nero, The Holidays, Gwen Owens, The Precisions, The Dynamics, The Superlatives, Gino Washington, Emmanuel Lasky, Herman Griffin, and many, many more, during the 1960s, when Motown's major and 2nd tier artists dominated the national Soul charts.

  19. #19
    This is also a great site for Detroit area radio broadcasting. It is greatly unrecognized as you can see by nobody mentioning it thus far. Check it out. Lots of good information included in its archives.

    www.mcrfb.com

  20. #20
    Here is a sample of what is included in the Motor City Radio Flash Backs site.

    270 ‘DETROIT SOUND’ SURVEY: 06/06/66

    WXYZ Detroit Sound Survey June 6, 1966

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    This is also a great site for Detroit area radio broadcasting. It is greatly unrecognized as you can see by nobody mentioning it thus far. Check it out. Lots of good information included in its archives.

    www.mcrfb.com
    Thanks Woodward. That's one of my favorite sites.

  22. #22
    Here are all the weekly charts for CKLW from 1967 - 1979. They have some good Pre- Big 8 info also:

    http://www.ct30.com/big30/index.html

  23. #23
    The Big 8 CKLW - Official Site

    http://www.thebig8.net/

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.