[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    When I read the cut comment, I thought it was a joke and I laughed and said with what? But I thought it meant jokingly to be put on ignore

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Well it won't be a problem going forward. Trust that.
    Thanks! Bury the hatchet? Back to whether Ross is a soul singer or not. I'm waiting for someone to give me a compelling argument that she is. I hear it in Dionne Warwick. Frankly, I forgot all about "Then Came You", and that's a favorite song of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    When I read the cut comment, I thought it was a joke and I laughed and said with what? But I thought it meant jokingly to be put on ignore
    I immediately thought of a violent crime because I know a several ex-cons. I don't live in that world, but I know about it.

That's what I meant by people being from different cultures. People interpret things in different ways. Even when they say stuff like cutting people, it can be interpreted in various ways. I guess if I worked in movie editing, I would immediately think of that, but i work with the public. So...

Man, let's get off of this. It's depressing.
    Last edited by soulster; 06-05-2018 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Thanks! Bury the hatchet? Back to whether Ross is a soul singer or not. I'm waiting for someone to give me a compelling argument that she is. I hear it in Dionne Warwick. Frankly, I forgot all about "Then Came You", and that's a favorite song of mine.
    Diana Ross is not a Soul Singer. Never have been one. She'll tell you that herself.

Diana is not catgorizable which is why she wasn’t a grammy favourite

Easy listening - I’ve Got a Crush on You

Pop - You Can’t Hurry Love

R & B - Come see about me

Soul - 99 and a half won’t do

Country - Old Funky Rolls

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Diana Ross is not a Soul Singer. Never have been one. She'll tell you that herself.
    Thank you! I'm also pretty sure i've seen her quoted saying as much.

Thank you! I'm also pretty sure i've seen her quoted saying as much.
    I believe Diana was making the point that compared to the soul/gospel voices of Aretha and Patti she might not be considered a soul singer in the traditional sense.
    I remember when Diana was being introduced by Bill Cosby at the Apollo in 93, he commented "Diana Ross has her own brand of soul and the audiences love her for it". For me his observation encapsulates Diana in a sentence.
    I find it hard to understand how anyone could listen to vocal performances on songs such as "A Simple Thing Like Cry", "I'm In The World" or "Telephone" and think this girl has no soul at all........
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-06-2018 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    I remember when Diana was being introduced by Bill Cosby at the Apollo in 93, he commented "Diana Ross has her own brand of soul and the audiences love her for it".
    I wonder if he tried to drug and rape her too.

In a previous post I gave examples of what I believe illustrates Ross as an R&B singer. For me it wasn't a point to argue, but it defied my logic that the songs I mentioned would be sung by anyone other than the vocal approach of someone trained in the art of rhythm and blues. In any case those were a few of the songs off the top of my head. When you even discount her vocals on "Let Me Go the Right Way", when there is currently several debates raging on the intranet that "Right Way" isn't even Diana at all, chances are nothing will sway you. And thus what would be the point? You clearly enjoy Diana Ross as a singer, so if she comes across as pop to you, it's a good thing because it adds to your enjoyment. Because I don't view her the same as you, when she does some of the more pop stuff- especially during the RCA years- I am not as pleased as you. But in addition to standing by my original opinion, I also stand by my later thought that because of the way she handles the material she is given via any genre, whatever box you put her in might be considered accurate.

Come on man, come on! LOL!!!!

I believe Diana was making the point that compared to the soul/gospel voices of Aretha and Patti she might not be considered a soul singer in the traditional sense.
    I remember when Diana was being introduced by Bill Cosby at the Apollo in 93, he commented "Diana Ross has her own brand of soul and the audiences love her for it". For me his observation encapsulates Diana in a sentence.
    I find it hard to understand how anyone could listen to vocal performances on songs such as "A Simple Thing Like Cry", "I'm In The World" or "Telephone" and think this girl has no soul at all........
    I so agree about "Simple Thing". I would also add everything she did on "The Wiz". I don't know if this applies to Soulster or not, but I do know some others have been critical of Diana and her "soulfulness" because she doesn't sound like the Queen or Patti or Etta. Diana doesn't have a big voice. It's small and thin [[though she was once capable of surprising power when she had a producer who pushed her to do it) and she doesn't rely on vocal gymnastics the way Patti does. [[The Queen Ree was just a force. She didn't have to rely on anything.) But big, full, up and down the scale singing does not a soul singer make, not in my book. It was Diana herself who once said it's a feeling. I add in my own personal viewpoint of it's a feeling and you know it when you hear it. For some people I guess it's also you know when you don't hear it, and that's fine too.

I genuinely thought sans had fixed this, apparently not!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Haha!

Well since comparing Mary vs Diana is off-limits around here, let's just leave Mary out of it and debate Diana against herself! Lol!

Soul chart wise, Billboard, 1942-1988, the top five most present females, in order are,
    Aretha Franklin
    Gladys Knight
    Dinah Washington
    Dionne Warwick
    Diana Ross

They are the only females in the top fifty, except the Supremes.

Combining The Supremes [[all versions) and Diana Ross , they become second only to James Brown in their presence on the Soul charts.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 06-07-2018 at 01:18 PM.

When you even discount her vocals on "Let Me Go the Right Way", when there is currently several debates raging on the intranet that "Right Way" isn't even Diana at all, chances are nothing will sway you.
    You're right. I'm not swayed.

I so agree about "Simple Thing".
    Nope. Not either. Besides, it's a terrible recording.

My standards for female soul singing are Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Dinah Washington, Nancy Wilson, Mavis Staples, Marlena Shaw, and certain others.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Sans was banned for sticking his nose where it didn't belong.

You're right. I'm not swayed.
    I knew you wouldn't be, which was the point of my post. I already told you what I thought, and you told me what you thought. It was clear you wouldn't be swayed by anything, as I'm sure you realize I can't be swayed either. At this point we can only exchange opinions.

Nope. Not either. Besides, it's a terrible recording.
    Aren't opinions wonderful! I'm glad we're allowed to have them.

My standards for female soul singing are Aretha Franklin, Chaka Khan, Dinah Washington, Nancy Wilson, Mavis Staples, Marlena Shaw, and certain others.
    Cool. You name some of my favorites. I'd add Diana Ross, Flo Ballard, Jean Terrell, Natalie Cole, Etta James, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick, Dee Dee Warrick, Martha Reeves, Betty Everett, Deniece Williams, Freda Payne, among others. Any more on your list?

She is pretty soulful on "I wouldn't change the man he is". Also on "All for one". As mentioned, she herself has said she doesn't consider her to be a great "soul" singer like Aretha, or Gladys. That's ok because she excelled in her lane.

Last edited by khansperac; 06-06-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Sans was banned for sticking his nose where it didn't belong.
    Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
    Last edited by sansradio; 06-06-2018 at 07:18 PM.

Betty Everett! I heard this version before Dinah Washington's. I believe that's the Dells on background vocals.

What a tacky thing to say. I don't know why but i expected a little more for some strange reason. At least it gave someone a giggle. Hmmm.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 06-06-2018 at 06:51 PM.

What a tacky thing to say. I don't know why but i expected a little more for some strange reason. At least it gave someone a giggle. Hmmm.
    Why was it tacky? I wasn't trying to be funny. The guy was just convicted of doing it to at least one person, showed an MO of doing it, and admitted it in a deposition. If you Google it, Janis Ian even tell of how Cosby tried to ruin her career when he found out she is a lesbian. He probably wanted to drug and rape her too.

Aren't opinions wonderful! I'm glad we're allowed to have them.
    Opinions are like assholes: everybody's got one.

Cool. You name some of my favorites. I'd add Diana Ross, Flo Ballard, Jean Terrell, Natalie Cole, Etta James, Gladys Knight, Dionne Warwick, Dee Dee Warrick, Martha Reeves, Betty Everett, Deniece Williams, Freda Payne, among others. Any more on your list?
    For the females? No.

Quote Originally Posted by khansperac View Post
    She is pretty soulful on "I wouldn't change the man he is". Also on "All for one". As mentioned, she herself has said she doesn't consider her to be a great "soul" singer like Aretha, or Gladys. That's ok because she excelled in her lane.

OK, this one is convincing me. Good pick. Still a lightweight, but I like this one.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
    Damn it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Betty Everett! I heard this version before Dinah Washington's. I believe that's the Dells on background vocals.
    Love Betty like I do, but Dinah is a tough act to follow. I don't think she made this one her own. Vocals are on point though.

For the females? No.
    You mean the ladies you named are your only favorite female soul singers? Wow. I still have some more names I could mention. And I won't even start on the men.

Quote Originally Posted by ranran79 View Post
    damn it!!!!!

haaa!!!!!!

Okay, soulster, how about this one?

I actually wondered a version of this too

Mine is I wonder what she knew of him and what she thought

Ditto Michael Jackson because I saw a interview where she went as far as saying she prayed what she heard wasn’t true

She came from a remarkable family and raised a remarkably talented and decent family

You mean the ladies you named are your only favorite female soul singers? Wow. I still have some more names I could mention.
    No, there's more whom I like, but we were talking about the ones we think are soulful.

I will add more: Ann Wilson from the band Heart, and Teena Marie.
    Last edited by soulster; 06-07-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Okay, soulster, how about this one?

Nope. Too whispy and soft. [[I had to pause Alice Cooper to check it out. He's my evening listening right now).

Why was it tacky? I wasn't trying to be funny. The guy was just convicted of doing it to at least one person, showed an MO of doing it, and admitted it in a deposition. If you Google it, Janis Ian even tell of how Cosby tried to ruin her career when he found out she is a lesbian. He probably wanted to drug and rape her too.
    Why on earth would you think i thought were you were trying to be funny?.
    If it helps i really have no idea if Bill Cosby tried to drug and rape Diana Ross.
    I only mentioned his name as the comments he made abour Diana having her own brand of soul seemed relevant to the topic being discussed. Perhaps a little more relevant then did he rape her.
    A topic for a new thread perhaps, or maybe not!!.

Why on earth would you think i thought were you were trying to be funny?
    *irony*...

Summertime and Shine were great songs

Some truly disgusting speculations here that sneaked through my 'ignore' list. Hard to imagine that comments like this are allowed to be posted.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Some truly disgusting speculations here that sneaked through my 'ignore' list. Hard to imagine that comments like this are allowed to be posted.
    They were quite bluntly spelled out which made it distasteful - but I do wonder what Diana thinks of Cosby and Michael Jackson. They were pretty unusual people. If they were just average people, neither of them could have gotten away with drugging women for sex or having overnighters with 10 year old boys.

Whoever thought to make that rape comment is disgusting. WTF's wrong with you soulster?!

I think Diana has given us many soulful readings, but still I think of her as a pop diva of the highest order - if I had to pick. Several have been mentioned, but not If You’re Not Gonna Love Me Right - much if Take Me Higher sounds soulful to me. You’ve Changed, Baby, It’s Me are both soulful to my ear. She sings many genres well and that makes her unique but quite difficult to catagorize.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Whoever thought to make that rape comment is disgusting. WTF's wrong with you soulster?!
    So, why was it disgusting? No one has yet explained that.

They are just feigning outrage because Diana Ross was associated with your comment.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    They are just feigning outrage because Diana Ross was associated with your comment.
    That's what I thought.

Sure, the idea that anyone could be drugged and raped is horrible, but that's what Bill Cosby was convicted of by a jury in a court of law. Since Bill Cosby and Diana Ross are/were both celebrities and in the music business at the time, it makes sense that the two could have met. We know that Mr. Cosby had been doing that to women since the early 60s, so it isn't unthinkable that he could have tried it, or at least thought about it. I'm glad he didn't.

So, let these people be outraged. I think it's more ridiculous that they talk about her having affairs with various people, but jump on me. It's also childish for certain people to repeatedly tell everyone who they have on ignore, like anyone cares. I sure don't.

Bill Cosby is disgusting and what he obviously did to so many women is disgusting, especially perpetrated by someone who was so venerated for so long.

I just imagine he wouldn't dare try any such thing around a woman that had guts and balls.

That's what I thought.

Sure, the idea that anyone could be drugged and raped is horrible, but that's what Bill Cosby was convicted of by a jury in a court of law. Since Bill Cosby and Diana Ross are/were both celebrities and in the music business at the time, it makes sense that the two could have met. We know that Mr. Cosby had been doing that to women since the early 60s, so it isn't unthinkable that he could have tried it, or at least thought about it. I'm glad he didn't.

So, let these people be outraged. I think it's more ridiculous that they talk about her having affairs with various people, but jump on me. It's also childish for certain people to repeatedly tell everyone who they have on ignore, like anyone cares. I sure don't.
    Bill Cosby and Diana Ross have known each other since the 1960s. Bill was friends with many of the Motown artists. He appeared as a guest star on Diane's first TV special in 1971 in case anyone has forgotten. They will talk about Florence Ballard's rape like it was nothing. But Diane, is different....... LOL! To them she is more than a singer, hehehehehehe!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Absolutely. And even more disgusting that the poster is allowed to stay. In the past week this forum has proven itself a place where a poster can make sexual slander against a woman and stay, but call that poster a name and be banned. Now we have posters making rape comments and not being banned. Remember as well the poster who made racially derogatory remarks about a performer's grandchild a while back. It's a race to the bottom and truly vile. And ironic, as here on a forum named 'Soulful' there are posters who quite obviously have no soul of their own.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 06-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Marv, I'm not bashing anyone except maybe Bill Cosby. All I did was make a statement that was not out of the realm of possibility, and these guys go ape shit.

I've made my thoughts known on the "Eaten Alive" album, song, and "Red Hot Rhythm & Blues", and that I think Ross is more of a pop singer than a soul singer. Time to move on. Probably the last time I go into a Ross thread!

Marv, I'm not bashing anyone except maybe Bill Cosby. All I did was make a statement that was not out of the realm of possibility, and these guys go ape shit.

I've made my thoughts known on the "Eaten Alive" album, song, and "Red Hot Rhythm & Blues", and that I think Ross is more of a pop singer than a soul singer. Time to move on. Probably the last time I go into a Ross thread!
    They've done that with me many times. Yes, as Mary Wilson sang....Time to Move On!" LOL!

I think this is the weirdest thread I have seen in over 10 years here.