[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1

    I deleted the Diana Ross thread

    Why this has to happen is always a disappointment. Why the name calling over such trivia? Honest Man, if it wasn't for your longevity on the forum I would have banned you for the "prick" comment. I wish some of you would realize how silly you appear making such a fuss over a singer.. Get it together guys. This thread was pure bullshit.

  2. #2
    Sadly, on the web, trolls are an inevitability and they come with the territory — poison ivy and nettles in a field of wildflowers; they're always going to be there. We're fortunate to have an administrator here who acts promptly and decisively when he spots something amiss, or when someone else does and calls his attention to it. Thanks, Ralph.

  3. #3
    [QUOTE=BigAl;460063]Sadly, on the web, trolls are an inevitability and they come with the territory poison ivy and nettles in a field of wildflowers; they're always going to be there. We're fortunate to have an administrator here who acts promptly and decisively when he spots something amiss, or when someone else does and calls his attention to it. Thanks, Ralph.

    Dare I ask who made that comment?

  4. #4
    You have my support Ralph. Thanks.

  5. #5
    It's utterly bloody sad that people here can't have any sort of mature discussion without it degenerating into name calling and outright bullshittery. I'm one of the younger members on this board (if 42 can be considered "young"), and it's disheartening to see people older than me (that honestly should know better) behaving in such a derogatory manner. It's quite embarrassing, frankly.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Why this has to happen is always a disappointment. Why the name calling over such trivia? Honest Man, if it wasn't for your longevity on the forum I would have banned you for the "prick" comment. I wish some of you would realize how silly you appear making such a fuss over a singer.. Get it together guys. This thread was pure bullshit.
    As a Diana fan I can say that although she is indeed a singer she is, to many of us, an important singer and an important personality who has entertained and delighted us for a half century now, and in the process become a part of our lives in the same way that Sinatra, the Beatles, etc are a part of their fan's lives. So when a poster here is allowed to make a sexually denigrating comment about a woman we have loved for fifty years of course we react. Though sometimes done in a graceless manner, it's called chivalry. Add to that the #me too layer of men being allowed to insult women freely and the results are what they are. Interesting that you called out the 'prick' comment but not the anti-Diana comment that preceded it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    As a Diana fan I can say that although she is indeed a singer she is, to many of us, an important singer and an important personality who has entertained and delighted us for a half century now, and in the process become a part of our lives in the same way that Sinatra, the Beatles, etc are a part of their fan's lives. So when a poster here is allowed to make a sexually denigrating comment about a woman we have loved for fifty years of course we react. Though sometimes done in a graceless manner, it's called chivalry. Add to that the #me too layer of men being allowed to insult women freely and the results are what they are. Interesting that you called out the 'prick' comment but not the anti-Diana comment that preceded it.
    But you have no problems saying mean or rude comments about Mary.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,640
    Born and raised in Detroit but one of the reasons that I hardly ever visit the Motown forum on here.

  9. #9
    The interesting thing is that it’s music we basically all love. Name calling does go both ways and gets old, but I too find it offensive to women in general to use the phrase “She slept her way to the top “ because in this society men are not subject to the same innuendo.

    What I find comical about this particular usage of the idiom is that in this case, it does not apply to the person at which it is directed and shows that Jsmith really does not understand the meaning of the phrase. One cannot rise to the top of the entertainment field by sexual favors as the public is not privy to those favors and they decide who us at the top and for how long. One CAN sleep their way to the top of a company or organization, or be promoted to a level unwarranted by merit (Vice President Of folks who seem to not have passed Freshman English) (Chairwoman Of Arts and Crafts Fair) - however that is clearly not the case here as the public has continued to enjoy Diana for over 5 decades and is a cherished and beloved pop music icon.

    Additionally, in this case it does not apply as Diana and Berry began their affair two years after she was made sole lead singer and a year after recording 5 #1 singles and 4 hit albums - they were already on top.

    I thought, like Ralph, calling jsmith a prick was over the line, but not a hanging offense. Honest Man has been a wonderful addition to this forum. A more fitting derogatory appellation for Jsmith in this case would be “ignorant” as he clearly does not understand the usage of
    ‘ slept her way to the top” nor the requirements to do so.

    Perhaps no insult could also be considered a proper response. Perhaps a comment like “what had this false accusation have to do with the thread, Jsmith?”
    Last edited by TheMotownManiac; 05-28-2018 at 05:24 AM.

  10. #10
    The only reason a person has an objection to someone "sleeping her way to the top" would be that this person can't sleep his/her way anywhere.

  11. #11
    I didn’t make the comment. He was referring to Honest Man

  12. #12
    Motown Manic, you misread what Ralph said. The prick comment wasn’t directed at me. It was directed at Honest man, who he said that to jsmith

  13. #13
    I knew there was a good reason to avoid that thread. People can't make an appreciation thread about someone without being derogatory. SMH

  14. #14
    I didn't read the thread, but I find it interesting that, even though the thread was deleted, people are reviving the argument again in this thread.

    In another thread, I wrote the following about this issue when addressing another issue of putting people on ignore. Of course, everyone except Boogiedown seems to have ignored it. Maybe it hit too close to home?

    Here is a slightly edited version of it:

    But, if an individual proves to be trolling, hostile, does nothing but constantly insult or try to get little digs in, it's much better to simply put them on ignore, even if only for a little while.Life is too short to deal with their nonsense and incivility.

    If they have something worthwhile to say 1% of the time, they blow it with the other 99% of garbage.

    Message forums are about personal opinions. If people disagree, that's fine, but you can disagree with someone and remain respectful and civil, and not come after them with hostility. I don't think enough of us are friends or close enough to be able to come after people so strong, even if they think it's warranted. Even if someone is genuinely angry about something or at someone, it only does the rest of the community a disservice to disrupt the flow of a discussion with the vitriol. If it's a matter of culture, remember that not all of us are from the same world. We all have diverse backgrounds OK?

    No one comes here to get berated for expressing an opinion. What fun is that? There are people who like to mix it up and have it out. Well, there are members who don't, and just want to come here to unwind and get into another world for a bit. That's why we have thread topics. If there is a thread that doesn't interest you, don't open it. It's that simple. The only reason someone would do that if they aren't interested in a thread topic is so they can start something. They seem to thrive off drama. We don't like drama queens at work. We don't like drama at family dinners, we don't like drama when we go out, we don't like our significant others or children who are full of drama, so why tolerate it here?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Motown Manic, you misread what Ralph said. The prick comment wasn’t directed at me. It was directed at Honest man, who he said that to jsmith
    I am so sorry.....my memory hasn’t been the same since I turned 800. Thank you for the correction!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    The only reason a person has an objection to someone "sleeping her way to the top" would be that this person can't sleep his/her way anywhere.
    No, the only reason, in this case, is that: a)it’s not possible to sleep your way to the top of record and ticket sales. I mean, how could a relationship with berry Gordy from 1965 to 1970 get diana ross a number one single another one album in the Netherlands in 1981? How would that and give her sold out soccer stadium dates in Japan 45 years later?… Many of those people weren’t even born yet when Diana and Barry were together ..... was their sex so intense that it affected total strangers around the world 45 years later and made them go out and buy concert tickets that went up to $480 each?????

    and b) Diana was already on top when they began their relationship, so, if anything, she can only have slept her way to the bottom…… Except the same axiom applies: people do not purchase tickets or albums based on the sex life of the artist they are paying to see.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    But you have no problems saying mean or rude comments about Mary.
    I agree - There’s no reason to say mean or rude things here period. Give an example so we can hopefully put an end to it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I agree - There’s no reason to say mean or rude things here period. Give an example so we can hopefully put an end to it.
    The deleted thread is an example of why the industry vets and pros will no longer post here.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I didn’t make the comment. He was referring to Honest Man
    Phew!! BG they had me scared for a moment! I've never known you to cross into that kind of disrespectful territory of any of the Supremes. Thought you might have gone to the dark side buddy. Now all is right with the world again.

  20. #20
    Soulster's post is on point. The big problem in this forum is the lack of respect and a lack of civility among certain screen names. It's not enough for them to simply disagree with a statement, they have to name call or become insulting and condescending. And then some of them want to play victim when they bite off more than they can chew when other screen names clap back.

    Another problem are threads being created for the sole purpose of baiting folks into the same ole heated arguments, like the one about Flo that Ralph recently closed. I don't know who started a Diana Ross appreciation thread, but depending on who it was, it's possible that the thread was created to spark the usual drama. As much as I love Diana Ross, let's be real, she clearly gets more than enough appreciation in this forum with every single Diana Ross thread created (and I'm usually one of the ones right there appreciated the hell out of her). So what's the point of creating a specific appreciation thread for her? Yes, I'll be the first to admit that every member of SD has the right to create a thread that he or she wishes to discuss unless Ralph says otherwise. I'll also be the first to remind folks that if you don't care for the subject of a thread, you have the option to scroll right by it. I'm just pointing out that sometimes the drama around here is jumped off not by name calling and in your face disrespect, but by the creation of a thread thinly veiled as innocent conversation when in reality it's being used as bloody bait in shark infested waters. And the usual sharks usually make their way right to it.

  21. #21
    That thread was definitely made to spite the other Supremes. I'm a Diana fan AND a Supremes fan and I would never think to make a thread about one of them just to diss another. That's not cute. It's gross and misogynistic and disgusting.

  22. #22
    It's a real shame that some of the people spewing vitriol on this forum are forum vets who are older in age than me! They have anger issues too, and they aren't even Supremes or Ross fans as far as I know.

    If someone says something about your favorite singer, just ignore it. It's their opinion. They didn't say anything about you, personally, so just bite your tongue and move on. If you find yourself getting heated, back away from the computer and take a walk or something. Not everyone in the world loves or likes the women in the Supremes, and no amount of rabid fandom is going to make any difference.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-29-2018 at 03:57 PM.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    That thread was definitely made to spite the other Supremes. I'm a Diana fan AND a Supremes fan and I would never think to make a thread about one of them just to diss another. That's not cute. It's gross and misogynistic and disgusting.
    If true that's sad and definitely sounds like a troll. Makes you wonder the quality of life some of these folks have.

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    It's a real shame that some of the people spewing vitriol on this forum are forum vets who are older in age than me!
    Yes! I've said that a million times before. I'm in my 30s and I know for a fact (well I know because he's said approximately how old he is) one of the biggest psychos in this forum is old enough to be my father, but his antics, and those who are just like him (whether or not they're on his team Supreme) come across like children who haven't learned how to play nice with others. Makes you wonder if this is purely online behavior or if one of the reasons they spend so much time on SD is because they find it hard to function in interpersonal relationships without resorting to disrespect and incivility in their personal lives.

    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    If someone says something about your favorite singer, just ignore it. It's their opinion. They didn't say anything about you, personally, so just bite your tongue and move on.
    Another Amen from me. Diana Ross is one of my absolute favorite female vocalists in the world. The music she made has been a part of the soundtrack of my life since I was a child, a small child. She means a lot to me by way of her art form. But I'm not insulting anyone because they don't like her. I may refute something said about her with a sourced fact, but I'm not calling folks out of their name. But if someone takes a direct hit at me, I hit back. That's how I am in person, that's how I am on the net.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    If true that's sad and definitely sounds like a troll. Makes you wonder the quality of life some of these folks have.
    Probably not much of one. That's why they spent every waking hour searching for comments they can respond to and be on 100% attack mode.

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yes! I've said that a million times before. I'm in my 30s and I know for a fact (well I know because he's said approximately how old he is) one of the biggest psychos in this forum is old enough to be my father, but his antics, and those who are just like him (whether or not they're on his team Supreme) come across like children who haven't learned how to play nice with others. Makes you wonder if this is purely online behavior or if one of the reasons they spend so much time on SD is because they find it hard to function in interpersonal relationships without resorting to disrespect and incivility in their personal lives.



    Another Amen from me. Diana Ross is one of my absolute favorite female vocalists in the world. The music she made has been a part of the soundtrack of my life since I was a child, a small child. She means a lot to me by way of her art form. But I'm not insulting anyone because they don't like her. I may refute something said about her with a sourced fact, but I'm not calling folks out of their name. But if someone takes a direct hit at me, I hit back. That's how I am in person, that's how I am on the net.
    I'm not even talking about the Supremes fans anymore. I'm talking about those so-called forum "elders", the ones that pop in here once or twice a year, probably buddies of Ralph's. They engage in the same personal attacks these Supremes super fans do.

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Yes! I've said that a million times before. I'm in my 30s and I know for a fact (well I know because he's said approximately how old he is) one of the biggest psychos in this forum is old enough to be my father, but his antics, and those who are just like him (whether or not they're on his team Supreme) come across like children who haven't learned how to play nice with others. Makes you wonder if this is purely online behavior or if one of the reasons they spend so much time on SD is because they find it hard to function in interpersonal relationships without resorting to disrespect and incivility in their personal lives.



    Another Amen from me. Diana Ross is one of my absolute favorite female vocalists in the world. The music she made has been a part of the soundtrack of my life since I was a child, a small child. She means a lot to me by way of her art form. But I'm not insulting anyone because they don't like her. I may refute something said about her with a sourced fact, but I'm not calling folks out of their name. But if someone takes a direct hit at me, I hit back. That's how I am in person, that's how I am on the net.
    Well said RanRan79. It is quite worrying that certain forum members hold so much bitterness and hatred in their hearts. I am just so glad i do not have to associate with these damaged individuals in real life. I thank the Lord that most of the regular contributors on this forum come across as decent regular people. Indeed i have come to know a few of them away from the forum whom i now regard as personal friends. You sound like you could be one such person RanRan79. Have yourself a great day.

  28. #28
    Soulster, you're a forum elder and you are doing what you accuse some of doing. Think about it.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Soulster, you're a forum elder and you are doing what you accuse some of doing. Think about it.
    You may be right. I realized that and edited at least one of my posts. But, I will say that if I am doing the same thing, it is out of frustration that no one calls them on it.

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    Soulster, you're a forum elder and you are doing what you accuse some of doing. Think about it.
    Like what?

    I have no hatred in my heart for anyone here. But, several times I have innocently stated something, only to have Ms. something, or one of her allies attack me out of the blue. You tell me how i've done that. More recently, I made a simple comment about jazz music, only to have one of them come at me, unprovoked, complete with insults. I don't do that.

    I have been critical of the behavior of certain super fans, but only because of the way they tend to hijack or disrupt threads.

    I'm not part of any clique here. I am an outsider everywhere in life. I am not a member of any groups or organizations. I don't even live in the same type of environment the rest of you do.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-30-2018 at 08:04 AM.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    ...... I don't even live in the same type of environment the rest of you do.
    Damn Alexis and Siri. What big mouths they have. What happened to our privacy? How did you find out what type of environment the rest of us live in?

    What kind of environment do you live in? Perhaps we actually live in the same type of environment.

  32. #32
    I'm checking in to add an attaboy to this thread and, as owner of this site, to reaffirm that Ralph has 100% of my backing.

    To those few who cannot keep a lid on their emotions please put yourself in our shoes. The LAST thing we want to do is waste our precious time mopping up your mess. Name-calling, personal attacks and the s/he-hit-me-firsts ruin this great forum for 99 percent who come here for good discussion. So KINDLY stop it.

  33. #33
    Sorry but if I feel attacked I go into attack mode. And after I attack back, the person is blocked so I don't have to deal with them any longer.

    I can imagine running a forum is time consuming, especially when you have other obligations in life. I am one of a handful of co admins for a Facebook African American genealogy group, and trust me, sometimes it feels like a full time job forcing members to stay on topic and to remain civil with one another. When these things appear to be ignored- especially by some of the same cast of characters- they get bounced out of the group. So I definitely get how difficult Ralph and Lowell's job is as admins.

    But my one criticism is that there isn't a hard hand against the negativity that goes on around here, the way that it is in the group I admin. I'm not for booting people who may say something negative about any one Motown artist, but there should be a hard line in the sand for posters who refuse to remain civil even in disagreement. It's always the same posters and always the same topics. I could name names but I'm not in the mood to be that petty. But I'm sure we all know who they are and I get the feeling that they act this way because they don't fear the admins. In my group the ones who almost exclusively get blocked are new-ish members, not the ones who have been there long enough to know that the admin don't play.

    My suggestion would be that Ralph and Lowell start playing the role of bad guy and start kicking more ass around here. I love this forum because it gives me a chance to talk Motown and/or general old school soul music, which is not an opportunity I get with my peers. My criticism is born out of me feeling invested in the continued future of the forum. But I will do my part to keep myself out of trouble. I not only block members here whom I've had disrespectful exchanges with, but also blocked- and continuing to block- members that I see potentially being a problem, in a preventative measure.

    I hope my criticisms are received in the manner in which I intended to come across and not seen as disrespectful.

  34. #34
    Ran Ran, Thanks for the tip, but in all honesty, after 17 years I have my own method for running this forum.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    What kind of environment do you live in? Perhaps we actually live in the same type of environment.
    Many times I have been reamed by forum members because I live out here in Arizona, with its relatively low Black population, and not having been exposed to a lot of "Black" culture. I recall someone jumping on my case just because I had never heard of the Black national anthem. I don't live in an urban center. I'm not east of the Mississippi. I'm not on the west coast, either.

    I am not part of any of the cliques around here. I'm not a super fan of any of the Supremes, I am too young to have been part of the old Motown or Detroit cronies. I'm an audiophile which apparently rankles a few of you. I don't keep my head in all things Motown all day, as i'm frankly kind of burned out on it, having grown up with it.

    I do come here for the other music discussion, and as a safe place on the internet to talk some politics or social issues. And, there are some cool people here.

    I just don't understand why so many people here do not control their anger and hostility. It's what makes me think a lot of you grew up that way. Where I live, and work, you don't just go off on people when you have a disagreement.

  36. #36
    Why can't members who have issues with each other thrash it out on the internal message system rather than in open forum?

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Why can't members who have issues with each other thrash it out on the internal message system rather than in open forum?
    Boredom. I think a good chunk of users here have personal issues and when someone doesn't agree with them, they bring the claws out.

  38. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Many times I have been reamed by forum members because I live out here in Arizona, with its relatively low Black population, and not having been exposed to a lot of "Black" culture. I recall someone jumping on my case just because I had never heard of the Black national anthem. I don't live in an urban center. I'm not east of the Mississippi. I'm not on the west coast, either.

    I am not part of any of the cliques around here. I'm not a super fan of any of the Supremes, I am too young to have been part of the old Motown or Detroit cronies. I'm an audiophile which apparently rankles a few of you. I don't keep my head in all things Motown all day, as i'm frankly kind of burned out on it, having grown up with it.

    I do come here for the other music discussion, and as a safe place on the internet to talk some politics or social issues. And, there are some cool people here.

    I just don't understand why so many people here do not control their anger and hostility. It's what makes me think a lot of you grew up that way. Where I live, and work, you don't just go off on people when you have a disagreement.
    Thanks for the explanation. There are only a few people here who personally insult the members because they disagree with them. Those few people seem to have the support of the moderator, or they would no longer be here. I have been personally insulted a few times and have responded to the insult. Most of us respond when our buttons are pushed. But on this board, it is the responders that are labeled the trouble makers. One of my responses resulted in me finding a private message in my box reprimanding me and warning me that I would have been deleted had it not been for the fact that I normally behave myself.

    So now I do more lurking than posting and I no longer have anyone pushing my buttons. In fact, I replaced my buttons with zippers and I use one of the zippers to zip my lip.

    Okay. Time to zip up again. Bye.


  39. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. There are only a few people here who personally insult the members because they disagree with them. Those few people seem to have the support of the moderator, or they would no longer be here. I have been personally insulted a few times and have responded to the insult. Most of us respond when our buttons are pushed. But on this board, it is the responders that are labeled the trouble makers. One of my responses resulted in me finding a private message in my box reprimanding me and warning me that I would have been deleted had it not been for the fact that I normally behave myself.

    So now I do more lurking than posting and I no longer have anyone pushing my buttons. In fact, I replaced my buttons with zippers and I use one of the zippers to zip my lip.

    Okay. Time to zip up again. Bye.

    Thanks Milven I agree 💯

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Why can't members who have issues with each other thrash it out on the internal message system rather than in open forum?
    I've always wondered that myself. I think it's because one of them is a bully, and bullies like an audience. They thrive in numbers. Bullies are afraid of personal confrontation. It's like they can't stand being human to someone they don't. If you remember back to grade school, bullies always had a couple of their buddies with them, or an audience. They need to insult and humiliate people in public because that's how they get their approval from others.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. There are only a few people here who personally insult the members because they disagree with them. Those few people seem to have the support of the moderator, or they would no longer be here.
    I do not think Ralph or Lowell like banning anyone. I was once a moderator on a forum and I didn't like it, either, especially since the head mod had an itchy-trigger finger and seemed to delight in banning people on a whim. Truth is, most moderators don't even like the task of moderating. They would rather just be part of discussions.

    When I was first attacked by a certain individual, I came out a LOT harder and even used some x-rated language to drive home my point that I didn't appreciate the unprovoked personal attack. Unfortunately, I deeply offended at least one member by doing that. And, what happened after that? her buddies decided to get into it, even offered to be a moderator, probably so they could get rid of me. Bottom line is that if this individual had never attacked me the way she did when she disagreed on what I posted, there would never have been any ill-will.

    Just, if you have a disagreement with someone, don't make it personal, just address the area of the disagreement.

    I've made mistakes too. I retaliated against people, and I heavily criticized the Supremes super fans (sometimes justified). My biggest mistake was allowing myself to get into the middle of the Marv vs, Supremes fan mess, which made it look to others like I was part of it.

    But, hey, at least I can admit my mistakes. From what I have seen, most people can't.

    I work in retail and know that if you mistreat someone just once, they remember it forever. And, it is not in my nature to forgive or forget. Even if I excuse something, I don't forget.
    Last edited by soulster; 05-30-2018 at 05:32 PM.

  42. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Why can't members who have issues with each other thrash it out on the internal message system rather than in open forum?
    For the shit starters, that would defeat the purpose. Aint no fun if the drama doesn't have an audience. For people responding to a direct comment, well I'll speak for myself. If the offending comment was made publicly then I feel the rebuke should be made publicly also.

  43. #43
    What I find interesting is that only one poster from my ignore list chimed in on this subject and he's one of the biggest mess starters on here. The others are quiet as church mice, probably because they don't want to be called out. Anyway, unfortunately I don't have faith that the tone around here will change. So for now I'm going to keep doing what I've been doing and wish everyone the best, including Ralph and Lowell, in continuing to deal with the popular troublemakers. As for this thread, me thinks it's been beaten to death, so I'm moving on. See you civil folks in one of the music threads.

  44. #44
    This is kind of a funny thread going on and on and getting all worked up over another thread that doesn't exist anymore , and by people who weren't even involved in the original one in the first place!!

    Reading it through, it seems as though some members have the idea that this forum can only be participated in in a manner that is suitable to THEM , and think too highly of their role here in guiding that. I think this reminder properly addresses that:

    ralpht
    Thanks for the tip, but in all honesty, after 17 years I have my own method for running this forum.
    This comment seems like it's just egging on confrontation:

    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    What I find interesting is that only one poster from my ignore list chimed in on this subject and he's one of the biggest mess starters on here. The others are quiet as church mice, probably because they don't want to be called out.
    If they are on your ignore list a) how do you know they haven't chimed in? and
    b) why would you be interested in what the members you are ignoring have to say anyway? What is meant by "called out"? By who? The usual handful here that dog-piles?

    And why , even in non-threads, with non offenders like this one , must these types of comments get hurled :

    I am just so glad i do not have to associate with these damaged individuals in real life.
    If true that's sad and definitely sounds like a troll. Makes you wonder the quality of life some of these folks have.
    Insulting people's personal lives and calling people trolls is not far from calling people "pricks". It's name calling, plain and simple, the only purpose of which is to marginalize the person, adding no benefit to an exchange.

  45. #45
    honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    This is kind of a funny thread going on and on and getting all worked up over another thread that doesn't exist anymore , and by people who weren't even involved in the original one in the first place!!

    Reading it through, it seems as though some members have the idea that this forum can only be participated in in a manner that is suitable to THEM , and think too highly of their role here in guiding that. I think this reminder properly addresses that:



    This comment seems like it's just egging on confrontation:



    If they are on your ignore list a) how do you know they haven't chimed in? and
    b) why would you be interested in what the members you are ignoring have to say anyway? What is meant by "called out"? By who? The usual handful here that dog-piles?

    And why , even in non-threads, with non offenders like this one , must these types of comments get hurled :





    Insulting people's personal lives and calling people trolls is not far from calling people "pricks". It's name calling, plain and simple, the only purpose of which is to marginalize the person, adding no benefit to an exchange.
    Well said to these comments,from so called peace posters,if I was really interested in these posters I would have answered myself,but really can.t be bothered with 2 of the biggest stirrers here,cheers,

  46. #46
    Sorry honest man. You had to go. You just couldn't leave well enough alone. I actually expected you to apologize for the "prick" remark, but you let me down there. Still, I was ready to let all that slide until now.

  47. #47
    Wow...

    And people wonder why the old guys have left. We have to grow up and stop getting into petty arguments like Ralph said.

  48. #48
    It all seems so simple, you know Midnight?

  49. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by ralpht View Post
    It all seems so simple, you know Midnight?
    Of course this is a forum, and the classic definition of forum is a place for exchange of ideas. As the de facto leader of the forum it is your discretion to decide who needs to exit. We may have disagreements about your decisions but it is of course your position to make those decisions. Certainly most of us ultimately agree on your undeniable contribution to the music we love and your dedication to the continuation of the forum.

  50. #50
    I appreciate the words of support.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.