[REMOVE ADS]

Any New Big Bad Blues Mamas on the Scene Out There?

This question is inspired by my just having played Koko Taylor's "Old School" CD, which I believe was her final studio album before she passed away. I always enjoyed her style and as you guys also know from frequent other posts over the years, I was also a huge fan of Denise LaSalle, who sadly left us in January.

Therefore my question is to ask if there are any newer or up and coming ladies out there who embrace this same general style. You know the southern soul or barrelhouse blues approach to music, usually with lyrics that are designed to put a trifling man in his place.

For a while I thought maybe Shemekia Copeland would be a nice addition and would be around a while, but her last CD or two seemed to have more of an acoustic or jazzier leaning. Ironically her debut CD was her best in my opinion.

Trudy Lynn is enjoying a resurgence which is nice, but she is around 70 now, so bless her heart, she can only carry the torch but so much longer. I also see that Peggy Scott Adams has a new one out, but it is apparently not going to be available on the usual shopping sites.

At one time or another I enjoyed material by lesser-known names such as Ruby Andrews, Sweet Miss Coffy, Lady Bianca, and a few others, but one by one they fade out on us.

So back to the original question.....who among active artists is the closest I can find to some of these gals so that I can enjoy some more "you ain't no good and I want you out of my house this minute" music in my declining years?

Hi David!

I was really impressed by Terrie Odabi at the Porretta Soul Festival in Italy last year. She'll return there this year and I'm hoping to sit down with her and do a profound feature on her.

Best regards
    Heikki