[REMOVE ADS]

Four Tops & Supremes

Sometimes you forget how good some of those oldies are. This is one of them.

I really loved the Four Tops collab albums. I know we all love the Temptations collab, but I always enjoyed the original material on the Four Tops albums than the Temptations. I also thought Jean was much more of a better "team player" than Diana and jelled better in comparison to the chemistry between the Temptations and The Supremes. When I listen to Jean & the girls with the Four Tops, it sounds like two funky bands coming together and jamming naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

You are posting all of my favorites this week.....Thank you! I don't care where it landed on the charts or how many units it sold, this was a excellent record and all involved did a great job. I never tire of hearing it. "Knock on My Door" for real! LOL!

I, too, think the Sup-Tops records are wonderful.

Much better pairing. ONE MORE BRIDGE TO CROSS is another favorite of mine.

Is it possible to ever bring up a thread about the 70s Supremes without having to bring up Diana Ross [[usually in a negative fashion)? BTW, "Knock on My Door", in my opinion, was a great production. Along with the wonderful vocals, I love its orchestration and the way it was mixed especially that introduction with the guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post

One of my absolute favs from the collaboration.

Never heard this one before, what a great track. I also love "I'm Glad About It".

Quote Originally Posted by loganjlr View Post
    I really loved the Four Tops collab albums. I know we all love the Temptations collab, but I always enjoyed the original material on the Four Tops albums than the Temptations. I also thought Jean was much more of a better "team player" than Diana and jelled better in comparison to the chemistry between the Temptations and The Supremes. When I listen to Jean & the girls with the Four Tops, it sounds like two funky bands coming together and jamming naturally.
    I think Diana's chemistry with the Tempts seems more easy than that of Jean with the Tops, and I chalk that up to Diana's history with the group, especially Eddie and Paul, whom she had probably been singing with since the Primettes days. But Jean was a worthy duet partner for Levi because of the type of singer he was. I really wish there was at least one official duet between Diana and Levi just to see how the two of them would have sounded. Diana was incapable of the level of gusto that Jean brought to a song. Levi was a vocal beast, but he was also a very dramatic vocalist, and so was Diana. So IMO that would have been an interesting pairing also.

But I think it was a great idea for Motown to pair the new Supremes with the "old" Tops, rather than attempt to pair them with the Tempts again. It was something new and I think Jean and Levi created some wonderful vocal play together. Unfortunately Motown got carried away and released three albums of the collab instead of leaving it at the first one. The Supremes and Temptations were easily among the most popular groups at the time of their collaborations, so it made since for Motown to milk that with two studio albums and two television specials and accompanying soundtracks. The Supremes and Tops weren't exactly in the same position at this point, and the first duet album, as good as it was, still didn't seem to knock anyone's socks off, so it's a mystery why the two groups continued to be pushed together.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Never heard this one before, what a great track. I also love "I'm Glad About It".
    I love "I'm Glad About It" also. Perhaps this is my favorite of the entire collaboration:

honest man Guest
    Love the Tops and Supremes albums,wish they had done more together,pure Motown class,cheers,

I love the three albums these two groups did together. My favorite of the three is Return Of.... It seems to have the best flow of all of them, and Jean and Levi sound so good on leads, and the groups sound fantastic supporting them. The Dynamite album seems a bit thrown together but I still love all those tracks, and have used Don't Let Me Lose This Dream on many a mixtape.

as a Sup fan, I of course enjoy all of their output. even that which probably wasn't in their best interest. while these duet tracks are lots of fun, it probably hindered rather than helped the girls in establishing their new sound and direction. it was just overkill to release this many albums. and I definitely believe they provided unnecessary competition to the Sup albums and singles at the time, causing lower charting.

But the material is too good to simply lock away in the vault. So if you could create 1 and only 1 lp of duet content, what would it be? I'm ignoring the recording dates and timelines. I think the lp would have fit best, timing-wise, in summer of 71 after Nathan had peaked

my tracks would be:

River Deep Mountain High
    For your love
    one more bridge to cross
    If you could see me now
    I'm glad about it
    let's make love now

What do you have to do [[to stay on the right side of love)
    Melodie
    I'll try not to cry
    Hello Stranger
    Function at the Junction
    I had a dream

My album would consist of [[not in this order):

River Deep, Mountain High
    Baby, You've Got What It Takes
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart
    One More Bridge to Cross
    If You Could See Me Now
    I'm Glad About It
    What Do You Have To Do [[To Stay On The Right Side of Love)
    Good Lovin' Ain't Easy to Come By
    If I Could Build My Whole World Around You
    Don't Let Me Lose This Dream
    Do You Love Me Just A Little, Honey

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    as a Sup fan, I of course enjoy all of their output. even that which probably wasn't in their best interest. while these duet tracks are lots of fun, it probably hindered rather than helped the girls in establishing their new sound and direction. it was just overkill to release this many albums. and I definitely believe they provided unnecessary competition to the Sup albums and singles at the time, causing lower charting.

But the material is too good to simply lock away in the vault. So if you could create 1 and only 1 lp of duet content, what would it be?
    Yes, as a fan I enjoy it all and I'm glad we have all the albums. But career wise it just doesn't appear to have been a good move to keep beating a half dead horse. If I could only do one album of the entire sessions, it would contain my most favorite tracks:

Knock On My Door
    Without the One You Love
    Hold On to Me
    Stoned Soul Picnic
    Call Me

When I'm With You
    Glad About It
    I Can't Believe You Love Me
    Hello Stranger
    What Do You Have to Do
    Do You Love Me Just a Little

Quote Originally Posted by loganjlr View Post
    ‘I don’t know who was a better team player - Diana was quite fond if Paul and Eddie and couldn’t get through RTL rehearsal OF IGMYLM without crying and had the charts removed permanently from show. I think they sounded great together and quite effortless.

I think pairing JMC with The Tops was a great idea as The Supremes were coming off a year of hits with Someday, EGTRTL and Ladder and could help the sagging Tops. I’m not that fond if the first album, but love the next two. Jean’s lilting soprano and Levi’s magnificence were a match made in heaven.

When I'm With You is a great recording IMO. It's a shame that the collaboration between these two wonderful groups wasn't more successful as the quality was definitely there.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    My album would consist of [[not in this order):

Baby, You've Got What It Takes
    Together We Can Make Such Sweet Music
    You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart
    One More Bridge to Cross
    If You Could See Me Now
    I'm Glad About It
    What Do You Have To Do [[To Stay On The Right Side of Love)
    Good Lovin' Ain't Easy to Come By
    If I Could Build My Whole World Around You
    Don't Let Me Lose This Dream
    Do You Love Me Just A Little, Honey
    Add "Melodie" and you have me as a buyer of "Your Album" LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Add "Melodie" and you have me as a buyer of "Your Album" LOL!
    lol I love Melodie too

there are two versions. the lp version [[which is inferior I believe) and then the version on the Sup/Tops Best Of cd from the 90s. on this second version the song is rearranged to make more sense. on the original there's an oddly placed instrumental break which really brings down the emotional build of the song. on the 90s version they moved this to AFTER jean singing verse 2 and makes so much more sense.

this could have been a single IMO

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    lol I love Melodie too

there are two versions. the lp version [[which is inferior I believe) and then the version on the Sup/Tops Best Of cd from the 90s. on this second version the song is rearranged to make more sense. on the original there's an oddly placed instrumental break which really brings down the emotional build of the song. on the 90s version they moved this to AFTER jean singing verse 2 and makes so much more sense.

this could have been a single IMO
    It is a great recording. The type that makes me scratch my head and wonder "What the heck was Motown thinking at the time to not release it as a single?". I remember the J-5 being super hot during that time, but they could have done better in promoting these great Supremes/Four Tops recordings. That is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rovereab View Post
    When I'm With You is a great recording IMO. It's a shame that the collaboration between these two wonderful groups wasn't more successful as the quality was definitely there.
    Agree with all points.

Do you all remember "If I Could Build My Whole World Around You" being released as a single? I can remember hearing it on the radio.

I've always felt the Temptations had to "hold back" on their releases with the DRATS.

With the Supremes and the Tops, Levi and Jean were able to give each other a run for their money.

I thought I was the only one that liked Knock On My Door. My other favs are Without The One You Love and Reach Out And Touch

My only real regret regarding the Supremes/Four Tops sessions is that there isn't much video footage of them performing some of these great songs together.

What I cannot understood is how the Motown execs canned I Had A Dream. This was a truly great tune anyway and letting Levi and Jean loose on it really paid dividends.
    This could I think have been a single...and it stayed in the vaults until 2009....duh..

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post
    What I cannot understood is how the Motown execs canned I Had A Dream. This was a truly great tune anyway and letting Levi and Jean loose on it really paid dividends.
    This could I think have been a single...and it stayed in the vaults until 2009....duh..
    It is amazing isn't Waynesville? I guess Motown produce so, so much great, quality music that it had to have been difficult for them to pick and choose what went on an album and released.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesville View Post

For those who may not have heard it:

[where would i be without you baby]is a killer.

I recall there being a competition on the radio and all one had to do was count the heads on the "Magnificent 7" [[I have no idea what the prize was). I thought the whole LP was really so very good, refreshing and the joining of these two amazing teams was fantastic. The LP "The Return Of The Magnificent 7" was different, and in some ways, just as good, but it lacked the instant hit single. My criticism of the LP was that side 2 seemed short [[perhaps I was just greedy wanting more). For some reason, which I don't recall, "Dynamite" didn't appeal at the time, and even now, my opinion doesn't / hasn't changed. I do agree that other quality tracks such as "I had a dream" [[which I loved by Shorty Long) ought to have been included on one of the LP by these two supergroups.

"I've always felt the Temptations had to "hold back" on their releases with the DRATS."

That's an interesting opinion but I can't say I feel the same. Dennis on "Funky Broadway", Eddie on "I'll Try Something New", Paul on "The Impossible Dream". I'm not hearing any holding back vs the way they treat their singing on their own recordings.

Arr&bee, I agree, "Where Would I Be Without You" is fantastic.