[REMOVE ADS]

50 years ago Bobby Vee Exits With A Motown Song

Through the sixties Bobby Vee maintained a successful chart presence returning to the Billboard Pop Top Forty eleven times.

He is probably best known for:

His only #1 [[three weeks)

or for:

#6 in 1960

or from this #3 charter in1967:

He last broke the Billboard Top Forty exactly fifty years ago May 1968 with this medley:

peaking at #35.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    He last broke the Billboard Top Forty exactly fifty years ago May 1968 with this medley:

peaking at #35.
    I never knew he recorded "My Girl" Rest in peace Bobby

Nice to see a thread about Bobby Vee - I love his music [[well much of it at any rate). Very good and memorable pop hits. Also seen him live a few times and he would put on a great show. Not a Motown song, Bobby also recorded a version of "Do What You Gotta Do" which is probably my top fave Four Tops record. Bobby's version isn't a patch on that - but for me no one does it like The Tops anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Nice to see a thread about Bobby Vee - I love his music [[well much of it at any rate). Very good and memorable pop hits. Also seen him live a few times and he would put on a great show. Not a Motown song, Bobby also recorded a version of "Do What You Gotta Do" which is probably my top fave Four Tops record. Bobby's version isn't a patch on that - but for me no one does it like The Tops anyway.

Bobby Vee will historically be one of pop music's lighter footnotes , but he made his mark . It's interesting to listen to different artists like him from the era to hear their takes on Motown creations. Bobby did several Motown covers , but only the MY GIRL medley brought him chart success.

DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO was also released as a single and was the title to his 1968 LP which contained this, another medley :

I triple dig Bobby Vee. Didn't he also sing The Night Has a Thousand Eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    I triple dig Bobby Vee. Didn't he also sing The Night Has a Thousand Eyes?
    Yep !!! That was a biggie!

Check this - oh those crazy sixties!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7r4Pq_oJhk

[[I don't know how to post the video.)

The white girl on Bobby's right died in a car accident soon after the taping.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 05-24-2018 at 05:32 PM.

oh wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Bobby Vee will historically be one of pop music's lighter footnotes , but he made his mark . It's interesting to listen to different artists like him from the era to hear their takes on Motown creations. Bobby did several Motown covers , but only the MY GIRL medley brought him chart success.

DO WHAT YOU GOTTA DO was also released as a single and was the title to his 1968 LP which contained this, another medley :

Oh damn, I actually quite like that. For some reason my mind was opposed to the idea of liking Bobby Vee, damnit, lol

On that album it seems he was in a very Motown mood as most of the tracks are Motown covers!!! He even did "Can You Love A Poor Boy"! And they all sound pretty good
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-24-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7r4Pq_oJhk

[[I don't know how to post the video.)

The white girl on Bobby's right died in a car accident soon after the taping.
    Circa you copy the link [[as you have done) into your post, then write VIDEO in square brackets, like [this], before the link, then /VIDEO in square brackets after the link, like [/this].

So it would be like this...

[THIS]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7r4Pq_oJhk[/THIS]

...only with VIDEO replacing the word THIS

Hope that helps!!!!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 05-24-2018 at 07:14 PM.

To add to TomatoTom123's instructions:

Name:  Video Post.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  61.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I never knew he recorded "My Girl" Rest in peace Bobby
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  21.1 KB
    This is the best singing he's ever done [[especially on the "Hey Girl" portion). Too bad he didn't sing that way on ALL his songs. I'd rather he'd have sung that Soulful on "The Night Has 1,000 Eyes. Too bad that's one of the few King-Goffin songs before they went commercial after Screen Gems-Colpix gave them to The Monkees, that were not sung by Soul-tinted Soul/Pop groups and single artists like The Drifters, Freddie Scott, Cookies, Darlene McRea, Ramona King. The same is true of "I Can't Stay Mad at You".