[REMOVE ADS]

Janet At The BMAs

Janet Jackson [[and her completely natural face ...) received a deserved BMA Icon Award and gave a dynamic performance. Apparently Islam didn't take for her ...

What is this ragging on middle-aged women for their appearance? Jesus, the misogyny around here is unbearable.

She never converted. And I agree, sans.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    What is this ragging on middle-aged women for their appearance? Jesus, the misogyny around here is unbearable.
    I don't know but she does it better than a lot of these 20 somethings...... Go Janet!

I just noticed, Mrs. Jackson was there! Wow

Yeah I saw Katherine when Janet did her speech. She had this big smile on her face. Glad that she's not "dying" as tabloids would have it. Rebbie was there too and cheered on her kid sister.

I don't mean to be misoginistic [[if that's the correct form). My comment is meant more as a statement of anyone, man [[Kenny Rodgers, anyone?) or woman who chooses to alter their appearance in such an unrealistic manner.

Nothing unrealistic about how she looks. She still takes care of herself in her early 50s. She will be our generation's Tina Turner if she remains in the business doing exactly what she does until she reaches the autumn of her years, which she still has ways to go. We should be thankful she's still here instead of meeting an early death like her brother, Whitney and Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I don't mean to be misoginistic [[if that's the correct form). My comment is meant more as a statement of anyone, man [[Kenny Rodgers, anyone?) or woman who chooses to alter their appearance in such an unrealistic manner.
    But every time you post about Janet, you use the same hackneyed, unfunny phrase. Give it a rest.

I haven't seen anyone here do that. I also do not see any misogyny around here. If anything, there is a fair amount of misandry here. But, anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    She never converted. And I agree, sans.
    So, how's her marriage with her Muslim husband? Over? I didn't see or hear anything inconsistent with her speech or performance and Islam, but I also don't see how a Muslim could keep a marriage to a woman who won't convert.

We should be thankful she's still here instead of meeting an early death like her brother, Whitney and Prince.
    And Rick James.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    So, how's her marriage with her Muslim husband? Over? I didn't see or hear anything inconsistent with her speech or performance and Islam, but I also don't see how a Muslim could keep a marriage to a woman who won't convert.
    It's still in divorce court because both sides are fighting over custody of the boy. Janet wants full custody, her soon-to-be-ex wants joint custody.

Love the "Someday We'll be Together" sample at 2:16 [[which she used in "If") turned "Nasty" here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Love the "Someday We'll be Together" sample at 2:16 [[which she used in "If") turned "Nasty" here.
    I love how she mixes songs when she does her classics. She tries to keep it a little fresh but still retro enough for older fans. She's one of the fewest artists who could do that.

But every time you post about Janet, you use the same hackneyed, unfunny phrase. Give it a rest.
    Agreed. Janet looks great. Not sure why anyone would single her out -- she certainly is not the only one of the women we celebrate here who have had some cosmetic enhancement.
    Last edited by Guy; 05-22-2018 at 08:52 PM.

It's still in divorce court because both sides are fighting over custody of the boy. Janet wants full custody, her soon-to-be-ex wants joint custody.
    Ah-hah! I knew she couldn't be married to a Muslim and not convert. While I still didn't see anything in conflict with her soon-to-be husband...OK, maybe that dancer touching her leg...perhaps she was hinting at control issues in that speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Agreed. Janet looks great. Not sure why anyone would single her out -- she certainly is not the only one of the women we celebrate here who have had some cosmetic enhancement.
    I think I understand sansradio's complaint now. It seems that every time a famous female person is mentioned, the discussion can't escape some comment on how she looks. Why is that so important to mention?

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    I think I understand sansradio's complaint now. It seems that every time a famous female person is mentioned, the discussion can't escape some comment on how she looks. Why is that so important to mention?
    Bingo. Thank you.

Society doesn’t do this to men with the regularity that we do it to women. Unless your name rhymes with Cycle Taxin’. And that’s another thing: Janet is Michael-adjacent. I guess people have to have somebody to get their snarky licks in on now that he’s gone.
    Last edited by sansradio; 05-23-2018 at 05:23 PM.

Misogyny is not cute.

Misogyny is not cute.
    Hatred or hostility toward anyone is not cute. Remember that misandry is still alive and well. It's getting worse with the #meetoo movement. And, there are the incels, and they are usually racist, too.