[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Gary, I am so glad you finally got a clean copy of the disc! This entire st has really grown on me. The Devil.... is a great song, for me, one of many on this CD. Put me in the group that loves Go Ahead and Back Up. I followed the liner notes and created what should have been Bobby's first Motown Album and it is really fantastic. It's a shame that they went with the Joe Porter album, which has some good tracks but sounded almost lifeless. I think the original Go Ahead album would have sold well for Motown and for Bobby. After that, I would have put him in the studio with Smokey for a full album. They have a great vibe together.

Quote Originally Posted by wedgeville View Post
    Here you go - Not all of them, but some...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YVEaSr6piQ
    The snippet in this I'm most liking featuring an uptempo sound with piano and bongos must be: aka : LUCKY DAY

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Gary, I am so glad you finally got a clean copy of the disc! This entire st has really grown on me. The Devil.... is a great song, for me, one of many on this CD. Put me in the group that loves Go Ahead and Back Up. I followed the liner notes and created what should have been Bobby's first Motown Album and it is really fantastic. It's a shame that they went with the Joe Porter album, which has some good tracks but sounded almost lifeless. I think the original Go Ahead album would have sold well for Motown and for Bobby. After that, I would have put him in the studio with Smokey for a full album. They have a great vibe together.
    Thanks, Thom. Everything worked out fine. My original defective copy arrived on Friday, the day of release. Amazon had a new replacement copy in my hands on Monday. Can't complain -- not one iota! [[Had it been a Supremes, Vandellas, or Marvelettes CD that arrived defective, however, it would have wrecked my entire weekend!)

Bobby's new CD is growing on me, too! I would have loved to hear Bobby record a Motown album of Swing Jazz -- like Diana's "Stolen Moments" CD and DVD. In fact, can you just imagine a Swing Jazz DUET album with Bobby AND Diana! Wow!

***Album Of The Year***
    Last edited by 144man; 07-28-2018 at 06:48 AM.

^^What he said^^

Just fantastic.

Andy & Joe speak about the project here:

www.popmatters.com/bobby-darin-at-motown-2588073094.html?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3

Once again, thanks and happy hunting in the vaults for future projects!

Great interview and collection, I've had it for about a week now. Never being a Bobby Darin fan, I actually like this release. I planned on sharing my thoughts with the family, but never did. Not a wasted penny here!.

"Go Ahead" really surprised me as an album and a song as I didn't realize Bobby had so much soul. I made a playlist on my computer and listened to the original tracklist as planned. I could say a million things, but as good as the Art Freeman's arrangements and Bobby's vocals are I can see why Berry Gordy would renege on releasing it. While the album was ambitious it's not very commercial and can't be sold quite the same as anything else. I also felt that the album lacked a cohesiveness, the songs didn't flow,but rather jumped around. Someone should've told Bobby that songs should go together that has the same feel to make an album. Bob just went to the studio with what he liked and recorded them with no thought of fluidity or direction. That was it's kryptonite. Later when I read the liner notes I discovered that Bob Crewe felt the same way when compiling "Darin 1936-1973".

I want to give Larry Miles his credit as an engineer for skill in capturing the sound for much of this stuff. I mistakenly though that "Go Ahead" was recorded at MoWest just by using my ears. Come to find out that it was done at The Sound Factory!!. After much shock and many questions I did remember a pivotal statement regarding the Melrose facility. I have the book that Ralph Terrana wrote "The Road Through Motown" and he spoke about it. Upon his many visits to California [[ where Motown was moving) and the studio, he described it as "fair". It was only when Guy Costa got the funds he needed to lay it out did it have a state of the art sound. Bobby eventually recorded a few songs there in the fall of '71 and just as Ralph said, the sound is just good, not fantastic. Mowest wouldn't have sonic excellence until about '73, but the Sound Factory had it in 1971. Larry made "SF" sound like "MW" with the same applied recording technique's and processes. I could go on, but I'd irritate you to death.

As for the experiments with various producers you can see how versatile they could be. You can also see how much of a spendthrift Berry Gordy was in his ability to test an idea in a couple songs and move on if he didn't like the result. The number of incomplete songs is staggering. Had B.G. kept the checkbook open this would've been a double disc release too. All the material wouldn't even fit. I think B.G. should've seen The Corporation project to completion though. He never gave it a chance to develop in the time they were away from the J5 at least. The only problem is that the track is barely audible on " We're Getting There". I suppose Kevin Reeves couldn't repair that and left it as is. The Smokey tracks don't need an explanation, nothing short of greatness there.

Overall I'm happy and would like to thank everyone involved who made it happen.

So I got this collection basically on a whim. Mainly because I was interested in hearing "The Devil Must Be Beating His Wife" in its entirety. I'm quite surprised by the quality of the material. My favorites are the aforementioned "Devil" as well as his rendition of "I'm Glad About It" and "Let the River Flow". The latter reminded me of Shorty Long's later material. I wasn't really big on Bobby Darin before, but I might be a fan now.

Hello all, a belated thank you for your kind words, comments, and support for our release of Bobby Darin's "Go Ahead and Back Up: The Lost Motown Masters." I just wanted to give everybody a heads-up here that Universal has released this set under the truncated title of "The Lost Motown Masters" to iTunes, YouTube, etc. [[The cover artwork has also been slightly amended.) I hope that some of you who have been on the fence will sample the collection, quite possibly discover a new favorite song, and take a chance on the physical CD release. The online version doesn't include the 28-page booklet of liner notes and track-by-track annotations putting all of Bobby's Motown performances into context, not to mention the superior sound of the CD version, but the digital tracks are a great way to hear these long-lost songs and productions by Smokey Robinson, Ashford and Simpson, The Corporation, Jerry Marcellino and Mel Larson, Mike Randall, and others. Hope you enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by SecondDiscJoe View Post
    The online version doesn't include the 28-page booklet of liner notes and track-by-track annotations putting all of Bobby's Motown performances into context, not to mention the superior sound of the CD version, but the digital tracks are a great way to hear these long-lost songs and productions by Smokey Robinson, Ashford and Simpson, The Corporation, Jerry Marcellino and Mel Larson, Mike Randall, and others. Hope you enjoy!
    The digital download is a different mastering?

Btw, check the Inbox for your PMs - I sent you one.

Hi Joe,

I know this a Bobby Darin thread, and that the Tops Complete ABC/Dunhill Singles is ready to go, but is the third Motown set mentioned earlier this year still on track?

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    The digital download is a different mastering?

Btw, check the Inbox for your PMs - I sent you one.
    The [[sublime) mastering is still Kevin Reeves', but the resolution is not CD quality on iTunes, Amazon MP3, etc. The album has not shown up on any high-resolution download services yet, to my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Hi Joe,

I know this a Bobby Darin thread, and that the Tops Complete ABC/Dunhill Singles is ready to go, but is the third Motown set mentioned earlier this year still on track?
    Hi there, yes, the wonderful Tops' set is coming soon from our friends at Real Gone proper. We still have another pair of Second Disc/Real Gone Motown releases on track, but release dates aren't locked down yet as we're still discovering all sorts of goodies in the vaults. I hope these titles will be worth the wait!

SecondDiscJoe

Is there any plan to reissue The Originals albums at all?
    Thank you

The [[sublime) mastering is still Kevin Reeves', but the resolution is not CD quality on iTunes, Amazon MP3, etc. The album has not shown up on any high-resolution download services yet, to my knowledge.
    Thanks for the clarification. The album is up as lossless download on Qobuz but the price is higher than the CD+Shipping, so it shouldn't cut into physical sales.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    SecondDiscJoe

Is there any plan to reissue The Originals albums at all?
    Thank you
    No current plans, but never say never. The Originals are very much on our radar!

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. The album is up as lossless download on Qobuz but the price is higher than the CD+Shipping, so it shouldn't cut into physical sales.
    Thank you, smallworld!

Hi there, yes, the wonderful Tops' set is coming soon from our friends at Real Gone proper. We still have another pair of Second Disc/Real Gone Motown releases on track, but release dates aren't locked down yet as we're still discovering all sorts of goodies in the vaults. I hope these titles will be worth the wait!
    "discovering all sorts of goodies in the vaults" heck that sounds just a little exciting lol. I'm hoping for some sort of lost Frankie Valli & Four Seasons set but in fairness anything Motown I'm more than happy to support and the Darin set is excellent.