9. Catch the Wind

10. We're Getting There

11. Stray Dog [[Oh Let Her Be)

12. Child of Tears

13. I Think the Devil Must Be Beating His Wife

14. Cindy

15. I'm Glad About It

16. Oh Lord, Where Is My Baby

17. Young Joe Caldwell [[a.k.a. Lucky Day)

18. The Letter [[Extended Version)

19. Proud Mary [[Version 1)

20. Proud Mary [[Version 2)

21. Rags to riches

22. Mona Lisa

23. Smile

24. Melodie [[The Symphony Mix)

Kind of a mundane selection of material but will be interesting to hear how Motown orchestrated Darin. Thanks for finding this.

Looking forward to this title. I really love The Motown Years CD and this will be a terrific companion to that.

Fantastic and unexpected news!
    IÂ’m sure this will be a very pleasant collection.

JB

I don't know where you've seen this but it is great news - I'm gonna have it [[provided it's a CD). Some good songs there for which I'd like to hear Bobby's version. Interesting times.

I’ve ordered my copy from amazon.com

Very unfamiliar with Bobby Darin's Motown career/recordings, but this looks interesting. Anyone know if "Higher And Higher" is the Jackie Wilson song? And is "I'm Glad About It" is the Supremes/Four Tops track? If so, I am interested.

Description
    Bobby Darin joined Motown Records in 1970, inaugurating the final phase in a remarkable career that saw him transform from a rock-and-roll teen idol to a sophisticated swinger to a socially conscious folkie. Yet before his tragic death at the age of 37 in 1973, Darin only released one album and a handful of singles for Berry Gordy’s legendary label. A few posthumous recordings followed in 1974 and a live album in 1987, but the story stayed the same: that despite the best efforts of all, Darin’s music for Motown never lived up to the great potential of the pairing. Now, more than 45 years after the artist’s passing, the truth can be revealed. Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records’ Go Ahead and Back Up: The Lost Motown Masters lifts the curtain on the final years of Bobby Darin’s life with 24 never-before-released recordings directly from the Motown vaults, their existence largely unknown to even Darin’s most ardent collectors and biographers. These include a lost album produced by Bobby in the raw, stripped-down style of his stage shows of the period; a return to standards as only Bobby could have recorded; and an album’s worth of stunning, surprising tracks written and produced by Motown’s cream of the crop. Go Ahead and Back Up features newly-discovered, never-before-heard songs and productions by a Motown “Who’s Who” of Smokey Robinson [[who shares the microphone on “Cindy”), Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson, The Corporation [[Berry Gordy, Fonce Mizell, Freddie Perren and Deke Richards), Jerry Marcellino and Mel Larson, and Mike Randall. The funky, soulful, and altogether exciting recordings on Go Ahead and Back Up finally give listeners a taste of where Bobby Darin might have been headed next. This ultimate collectors’ edition has been co-produced and annotated by Joe Marchese [[Bobby Darin’s Another Song on My Mind: The Motown Years) and Andrew Skurow [[Diana Ross and The Supremes’ Expanded Editions), while acclaimed engineer Kevin Reeves has mixed and mastered from the pristine original Motown tapes. A lavish 24-page booklet includes comprehensive liner notes and rare, never-before-published period photos. Thought you knew everything about Bobby Darin and The Motown Sound? Go Ahead and Back Up! This isn’t your mother’s Bobby Darin.

And here is the cover:
    Name:  812vbOInL7L._SX522_.jpg
Views: 2063
Size:  58.7 KB

Just love the Motown logo. Looks like an album art done 45 years ago :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Description
    Bobby Darin joined Motown Records in 1970, inaugurating the final phase in a remarkable career that saw him transform from a rock-and-roll teen idol to a sophisticated swinger to a socially conscious folkie. Yet before his tragic death at the age of 37 in 1973, Darin only released one album and a handful of singles for Berry Gordy’s legendary label. A few posthumous recordings followed in 1974 and a live album in 1987, but the story stayed the same: that despite the best efforts of all, Darin’s music for Motown never lived up to the great potential of the pairing. Now, more than 45 years after the artist’s passing, the truth can be revealed. Real Gone Music and Second Disc Records’ Go Ahead and Back Up: The Lost Motown Masters lifts the curtain on the final years of Bobby Darin’s life with 24 never-before-released recordings directly from the Motown vaults, their existence largely unknown to even Darin’s most ardent collectors and biographers. These include a lost album produced by Bobby in the raw, stripped-down style of his stage shows of the period; a return to standards as only Bobby could have recorded; and an album’s worth of stunning, surprising tracks written and produced by Motown’s cream of the crop. Go Ahead and Back Up features newly-discovered, never-before-heard songs and productions by a Motown “Who’s Who” of Smokey Robinson [[who shares the microphone on “Cindy”), Nickolas Ashford and Valerie Simpson, The Corporation [[Berry Gordy, Fonce Mizell, Freddie Perren and Deke Richards), Jerry Marcellino and Mel Larson, and Mike Randall. The funky, soulful, and altogether exciting recordings on Go Ahead and Back Up finally give listeners a taste of where Bobby Darin might have been headed next. This ultimate collectors’ edition has been co-produced and annotated by Joe Marchese [[Bobby Darin’s Another Song on My Mind: The Motown Years) and Andrew Skurow [[Diana Ross and The Supremes’ Expanded Editions), while acclaimed engineer Kevin Reeves has mixed and mastered from the pristine original Motown tapes. A lavish 24-page booklet includes comprehensive liner notes and rare, never-before-published period photos. Thought you knew everything about Bobby Darin and The Motown Sound? Go Ahead and Back Up! This isn’t your mother’s Bobby Darin.
    Really excited about this. I love Bobby Darin's voice. His early passing just makes us think what could have been.....

And I thought, like many of us, that 'The Motown Years' CD was definitive. The Motown vaults never cease to thrown out surprises.

honest man Guest
    Can't find this on net any links cheers,

It's a Real Gone [US]/Second Disc Records release. The following site is a good resource for upcoming releases:

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopi...6203&p=2908302

This welcome surprise will nicely complement these Motown Bobby Darin CDs.

Name:  Bobby Darin Composite.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  107.2 KB

NTD6509
    Live at the Desert Inn
    Bobby Darin
    Neon Tonic / Concord / Motown CD

1. Intro. Monologue [[Live Remix)
    2. Save The Country [[Live Remix)
    3. Moritat [[Mack The Knife) [[Live Remix)
    4. Fire And Rain [[Live Remix)
    5. Hi De Ho [[Live Remix)
    6. Monologue [[Live Remix)
    7. Beatles Medley [[Live Remix)
    8. [[Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher And Higher [[Live Remix)
    9. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight [[Live Remix)
    10. Monologue [[Live Remix)
    11. If I Were A Carpenter [[Live Remix)
    12. Simple Song Of Freedom [[Live Remix)
    13. Finale Band Introduction [[Live Remix)
    14. Encore [[Live Remix)
    15. Work Song [[Live Remix)
    16. Beyond The Sea [[Live Remix)

B0024541-02 1
    Another Song On My Mind - The Motown Years
    Bobby Darin
    Real Gone Music / Motown 2 CD Set

Disc: 1
    1. Sail Away
    2. Ive Already Stayed Too Long
    3. Something in Her Love
    4. Who Turned the World Around
    5. Shipmates in Cheyenne
    6. Let It Be Me
    7. Hard-Headed Woman
    8. Average People
    9. I Used to Think It Was Easy
    10. My First Night Alone Without You
    11. Melodie [[Original Single Version)
    12. Someday Well Be Together [[Original Single Version)
    13. Simple Song of Freedom [[Original Single Version)
    14. Ill Be Your Baby Tonight [[Original Single Version)
    15. Sail Away [[Original Single Version)
    16. Hard-Headed Woman [[Original Single Version)
    17. Average People [[Original Single Version)
    18. Something in Her Love [[Original Single Version)

Disc: 2
    1. I Wont Last a Day Without You
    2. Wonderin Where Its Gonna End
    3. Sail Away
    4. Another Song on My Mind
    5. Happy [[Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues)
    6. Blue Monday
    7. Dont Think Twice, Its All Right
    8. The Letter
    9. If I Were a Carpenter
    10. Moritat [[Mack the Knife)
    11. Happy [[Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues) [[Original Single Version)
    12. Simple Song of Freedom [[Alternate Mix Single Version)
    13. Ill Be Your Baby Tonight [[Alternate Mix Single Version)
    14. I Wont Last a Day Without You [[Alternate CD Version)
    15. Wonderin Where Its Gonna End [[Alternate CD Version)
    16. Happy [[Love Theme from Lady Sings the Blues) [[Alternate CD Version)
    17. Blue Monday [[Alternate CD Version)
    18. Dont Think Twice, Its All Right [[Alternate CD Version)
    19. Melodie [[Stereo Single Version)
    20. Someday Well Be Together [[Stereo Single Version)

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    And I thought, like many of us, that 'The Motown Years' CD was definitive. The Motown vaults never cease to thrown out surprises.
    They haven't really touched the vaults for 1970's material as yet!

Quote Originally Posted by booty View Post
    They haven't really touched the vaults for 1970's material as yet!
    Good to hear booty!!!!

Hey Jack, thanks so much for the heads up. I just Pre-ordered my CD copy from Amazon for July 13.

While anticipating this release, I decided to revist Real Gone's previous Bobby Darin set. While re-reading the liner notes, I came upon this curiosity:

In the SMOKEY REMEMBERS BOBBY portion it states: 'Smokey had plans to record with Bobby, as well. He had earmarked his songs "Cindy" [[previously recorded by The Temptations) and "I Think The Devil Must Be Beating His Wife" for Darin. "I jumped at the chance to work with Bobby", Smokey remembers of 'Devil'. He was in the process of learning the song, but he never got to put the vocal on."
    Though they didn't get to collaborate in the studio before Bobby's untimely death in December 1973, Smokey cherishes the time they spent together.'

So, I'm guessing that Bobby did add vocals to Devil, unbeknownst to Smokey and must have done partial vocals to Cindy [[perhaps following a demo sung by Smokey) as both tracks are on the upcoming cd.

I ordered my copy today.

This is released tomorrow! I have been impatiently waiting for this and, hopefully, I will have it in my hot little hands by end of day tomorrow.

Mine shipped yesterday [[Wednesday).

Can't wait to hear the Smokey production[[s). I'm very interested to see how he rose to the challenge of producing Bobby. The three tracks he produced for Tommy Good in 1965 showed great versatility. Hopefully samples will be up soon or YouTube will pick up on it.

Mine just arrived! Anxious to get home to hear this.
    Name:  sd-pic.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  20.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Mine just arrived! Anxious to get home to hear this.
    Name:  sd-pic.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  20.8 KB
    Hey, Thom! There's nothing quite like a happy Motown fan!

Gary, it really doesn't take much to make us happy! And we are much better people when they keep us happy!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Gary, it really doesn't take much to make us happy! And we are much better people when they keep us happy!
    So true, Thom. And, when we're happy, the people around us are happier [[and relieved)!!!

My copy is Out For Delivery. Enjoy yours!

I have to admit I'll stream this one before purchasing - just not sure of how long-lasting it will be for me [[Leslie Gore's Motown LP was a hot play for me for the first few days then a give-away ...) Glad to see so many of us so happy with this release!

Well, my copy arrived today right on schedule. Just one problem -- the playing side of the CD is scratched all to hell -- obviously a manufacturing defect. Amazon will ship me another copy, no problem. Just a bummer.

How about your copy, Thom? Was it scratched or defective?

Interesting to see that Bobby didn't cover a lot of Motown songs?

My copy was fine, Gary. Sorry to hear about your trouble. I've had similar issues before and it drove me nuts to wait even longer to get the CD.

As a long time Darin fan, I heartily endorse these recordings. The tracks are surprising, unexpected, and ultimately all Darin! I am so pleased that we have been given these treats, the final recordings of Bobby Darin. His music has always spoken to me, in all the genres he sang through. There is just something about him that soothes me, excites me and, ultimately, satisfies me. I find this CD a joy, and send many thanks to Andy Skurow, Joe Marchese, and Kevin Reeves, who lovingly got these tracks into our hands in such great shape.

Has anyone found sound clips online as I want to hear before I buy as I’m not Darin fan other than ‘Melodie’?

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Has anyone found sound clips online as I want to hear before I buy as I’m not Darin fan other than ‘Melodie’?
    Here you go - Not all of them, but some...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YVEaSr6piQ

Thank you both very much

My copy of the cd arrived today. First off, the YouTube "Go Ahead and Back Up" sampler video doesn't do it justice at all. The arrangements are sparkling and lend a fresh interpretation even to the seasoned chestnuts [[Motown and otherwise), the mastering vibrant, Bobby's vocals on target, all meant to be heard in their entirety.
    The interplay between Smokey & Bobby is great fun, the reworked Child of Tears, moving and the symphony mix of Melodie, stunning. I wrongly assumed that the dual interpretation of Proud Mary in succession would be a lowspot of the cd but was proven wrong. And it took awhile until I noticed the lack of background vocals for the selections earmarked for the lost album. Not having known exactly what to expect even after the promotional write-up at the Second Disc, I found myself listening to this cd in the car & at the computer and thoroughly enjoying it.
    2 cautions: Please be careful when removing the cd from the jewel case. It is very tight on the spindle.
    The wonderful essay is interrupted in part by 2 orange additions [[delightful as they be -) 'If ONLY: THE UNRECORDED & INCOMPLETE BOBBY DARIN AT MOTOWN' & 'GO AHEAD: THE LOST MOTOWN LP'

I've only played this once, but am absolutely delighted with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    I've only played this once, but am absolutely delighted with it.
    I have just ordered my copy!

I might order it myself,even though I'm not much of a Bobby Darin fan. "I Think The Devil Must Be Beating His Wife" is a better song than I anticipated. It's funny how you rarely get an outright bad song from Smokey. I'll buy it just to hear that one song and support the companies involved. It hasn't been given to any digital retailers as far as I know,which is a great marketing plan by Real Gone. They want fans to appreciate the work as a whole as opposed to certain parts. Still thinking....

Quinn, ..."The Devil Is Beating His Wife" -- I hate the title, but I LOVE the song! It's my favorite track on there. It's production and musical arrangement are pure Smokey and Motown.

And, Bluebrock, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this CD, as I was. From the middle onward, it's The Motown Sound that we know and love.
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 07-20-2018 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Quinn, ..."The Devil Is Beating His Wife" -- I hate the title, but I LOVE the song! It's my favorite track on there. It's production and musical arrangement are pure Smokey and Motown.

And, Bluebrock, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with this CD, as I was. From the middle onward, it's The Motown Sound that we know and love love.
    Thanks for your encouragement Gary. I absolutely agree with your evaluation on the song's quality. I admit the title is odd and I wasn't sure how a song with the subject matter that backs up the title would sound lyrically. But I should've known,in regards to Smokey's cleverness and his way with a phrase!. Upon first listen I heard the chorus:"I think the devil must be beating his wife
    Because the sun is shining,but it's raining down on my life"... Genius. I'm sure you remember the saying from childhood that when the sun shines and it's raining that the devil is beating his wife. I never would've thought about it again, but you know Smoke.

If this song had been chosen as a single they would've had to condense the title to give the label copy a good look. Dropping the first two words would be sufficient enough. Wouldn't it be great if Real Gone and UMe actually did this in time for the next Record Store Day?. I can see it on a turntable easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Thanks for your encouragement Gary. I absolutely agree with your evaluation on the song's quality. I admit the title is odd and I wasn't sure how a song with the subject matter that backs up the title would sound lyrically. But I should've known,in regards to Smokey's cleverness and his way with a phrase!. Upon first listen I heard the chorus:"I think the devil must be beating his wife
    Because the sun is shining,but it's raining down on my life"... Genius. I'm sure you remember the saying from childhood that when the sun shines and it's raining that the devil is beating his wife. I never would've thought about it again, but you know Smoke.

If this song had been chosen as a single they would've had to condense the title to give the label copy a good look. Dropping the first two words would be sufficient enough. Wouldn't it be great if Real Gone and UMe actually did this in time for the next Record Store Day?. I can see it on a turntable easily.
    Yeah, Quinn, I've heard the saying but not until adulthood. To quote Bob Dylan, Smokey is, without a doubt, America's "greatest living poet". And, yes, it would be a cool 45 to release -- on the TAMLA label, of course -- in time for the next Record Store Day!

This album sounds really interesting and I liked the title song. I haven't ordered it yet but will definitely be getting it. Good to read the various assessments!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    This album sounds really interesting and I liked the title song. I haven't ordered it yet but will definitely be getting it. Good to read the various assessments!
    Kenny, I'm surprised you didn't order it already. It's funny how you and I both love Motown, yet we rarely agree on the songs we like. You were attracted by the title track "Go Ahead And Back Up", while that one does nothing for me! Ha! At least we're consistent! There are a lot of different styles on this CD -- my favorites being the Motown-ish ones after the first grouping. Ya gotta love Smokey's "The Devil Must Be Beating His Wife". Either way, you're sure to have your favorites [[the opposite of mine)!

Kenny, I'm surprised you didn't order it already. It's funny how you and I both love Motown, yet we rarely agree on the songs we like. You were attracted by the title track "Go Ahead And Back Up", while that one does nothing for me! Ha! At least we're consistent! There are a lot of different styles on this CD -- my favorites being the Motown-ish ones after the first grouping. Ya gotta love Smokey's "The Devil Must Be Beating His Wife". Either way, you're sure to have your favorites [[the opposite of mine)!
    I can't explain it either...you're probably right!

I think it's now established that Bob Dylan made no such comment about Smokey..Al Abrahams made it up..

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I think it's now established that Bob Dylan made no such comment about Smokey..Al Abrahams made it up..
    Really, snakepit? That's odd. You've gotta wonder why Al would do that. Smokey was already a well-established composer, producer, and performer whose track record of hits speaks for itself. He didn't need any further embellishing from Al Abrahams nor from Bob Dylan.

Quinn, the reason that you are not seeing it on digital retailers, from what I can tell and depending on the contract for the 3rd party releases, they many times get an exclusive amount of time for cd sales before the original company can put the original albums up for sale on the digital retailers. This is so the 3rd party issuers can achieve the sales agreed upon in their contract with the original copyright holding company. The 3rd party companies also usually get copyright on the booklet and if they create their own cover artwork.

In Bobby Darin's Another Song On My Mind compilation, Real Gone created original artwork, so they have the copyright on that. When Universal put the compilation upon, they divided up the 2 discs and used the cover art from Bobby's 1st Motown album with the added bonus tracks. For Disc 2, Universal used Bobby's compilation cover art of Darin 1936-1973 Motown release with those cuts and bonus tracks.

So, it is all what gets negotiated in the contract between the 3rd parties and Universal. You can correct me, if I am wrong, Andy Skurow and Joe Marchese.

For instance on Real Gone's release of Debby Boone's 5 WB/Curb albums, usually when the artists contract with the joint WB/Curb ends, the copyrights on the material revert to Curb and WB no longer has any rights. Once Real Gone issued the 3 cd's, Curb then placed the original 5 albums up for digital release. The 17 or so bonus songs were on the both Anniversary editions of the 3 discs were not added on the digital issues to allow Real Gone exclusive on those songs. A few of the bonus songs, Curb has the rights, but many of the bonus tracks that didn't get released by WB/Curb had copyrights reverted back to Debby's own company and were leased from her.

It's all in creative marketing to get the most possible sales in today's world of how music is released. For instance, how the music will be allowed to stream is also negotiated. At this time, the larger copyright holders, Universal, Sony, Warner, Curb, etc. are also just trying to get as much of their catalog up digitally, whether for sale or streamed. That all takes time as they have to check all original artists contracts and sometimes even re-negotiate with the artists or their estates.

Since this album was primarily all originally unreleased in the '70's, we'll have to wait to see if it gets put up digitally and how.

Really, snakepit? That's odd. You've gotta wonder why Al would do that. Smokey was already a well-established composer, producer, and performer whose track record of hits speaks for itself. He didn't need any further embellishing from Al Abrahams nor from Bob Dylan.
    I need to find his " confession"...I'll start a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I need to find his " confession"...I'll start a thread.
    Okay. Sounds good. Looking forward to it!