[REMOVE ADS]

‘Whitney’ Movie Bombshell Reveals Singer’s Childhood Abuse; Director Explains Decisio

Pre-warning that the subject matter discussed is quite sad and disturbing.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/whitney-...eo-1202392426/

This is incredibly upsetting.

This from Roger Friedman - truth or the family placing blame on someone who's dead?
    http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/05/16...ee-dee-warwick

I found this info while doing a You Tube search this morning and I must say, it threw me for a loop. Very little shocks me nowadays but this allegation really did.

Like the article said: DeeDee had a troubled life also.

Wow. I'd like to see this but the revelation is actually suppressing my interest. I knew she had something dark that was dragging on her but this makes a sad story much sadder.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    This from Roger Friedman - truth or the family placing blame on someone who's dead?
    http://www.showbiz411.com/2018/05/16...ee-dee-warwick
    In the interview with the director that I posted, it sounds like someone first mentioned the abuse to the director, off camera, during the interview process for the film. He goes on to say that Mary Jones then mentioned the abuse, which was then independently corroborated by Whitney's brother, Gary, who said he himself was also abused by Dee Dee. It sounds like Gary's admission happened without the director even bringing up the subject. The director wanted to be very sure. It would be a horrible thing to lie about. Sounds like Mr. Friedman is talking from a place of, "Well, I knew Dee Dee and it doesn't seem possible, she was such a good person." Unfortunately in real life, perpetuators of abuse never seem to be the person you think they are. That's unfortunately how they tend to get away with it. The abuser knows that people won't believe they did it and the abused know that people won't believe their claim.
    Last edited by helga; 05-17-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Wow. I'd like to see this but the revelation is actually suppressing my interest. I knew she had something dark that was dragging on her but this makes a sad story much sadder.

As it turns out, Whitney's family were not her best friends. It was her brother Michael that got her started with drugs. This could partially explain why she continued.

Quote Originally Posted by helga View Post
    In the interview with the director that I posted, it sounds like someone first mentioned the abuse to the director, off camera, during the interview process for the film. He goes on to say that Mary Jones then mentioned the abuse, which was then independently corroborated by Whitney's brother, Gary, who said he himself was also abused by Dee Dee. It sounds like Gary's admission happened without the director even bringing up the subject. The director wanted to be very sure. It would be a horrible thing to lie about. Sounds like Mr. Friedman is talking from a place of, "Well, I knew Dee Dee and it doesn't seem possible, she was such a good person." Unfortunately in real life, perpetuators of abuse never seem to be the person you think they are. That's unfortunately how they tend to get away with it. The abuser knows that people won't believe they did it and the abused know that people won't believe their claim.
    This. You get all the stars. I balked big time at the "Dee Dee was not a monster" bit. If she abused children, then she most certainly was.

First, anyone who couldn't see that Whitney was a survivor of childhood trauma was not paying attention. You don't have all she did and throw it away unless you are dealing with some heavy trauma.

The only shocking part is that her alleged abuser was Dee Dee. That makes it profoundly sad for the whole family.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    This. You get all the stars. I balked big time at the "Dee Dee was not a monster" bit. If she abused children, then she most certainly was.
    Right?? Regardless of how much we like the records, the performers who made the records are not necessarily good people. There are far worse behaviors than competitiveness.

Right?? Regardless of how much we like the records, the performers who made the records are not necessarily good people. There are far worse behaviors than competitiveness.
    Quite correct PeaceNHarmony. I love Dee Dee's voice and much of her music, but this has shocked me to the core. I knew she was a lesbian, but never thought for a moment she was a child abuser. I hope to God that Dionne was blissfully unaware of all this.

If Whitney had stayed in the relationship with Robyn Crawford she'd still be alive today imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Quite correct PeaceNHarmony. I love Dee Dee's voice and much of her music, but this has shocked me to the core. I knew she was a lesbian, but never thought for a moment she was a child abuser. I hope to God that Dionne was blissfully unaware of all this.
    I hope the same, but would find that hard to believe. Of course the remaining family members will claim complete unawareness but really - how could they not have known, or at least heard rumors?

TBH, the moment it was revealed Dee Dee molested both Gary and Whitney, I won't claim her as a lesbian... child molesters don't have an orientation, just a sickness.

But revealing this shows what was at the core of why Whitney suffered so much. And how her family really failed her.

And Roger Friedman's opinion I don't take very seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    TBH, the moment it was revealed Dee Dee molested both Gary and Whitney, I won't claim her as a lesbian... child molesters don't have an orientation, just a sickness.

But revealing this shows what was at the core of why Whitney suffered so much. And how her family really failed her.

And Roger Friedman's opinion I don't take very seriously.
    Some will disagree, but I don't think it was necessary to talk about that. Just sayin.....

Why wasn't it necessary? This was gonna come out eventually, regardless if the family said it or not. I know some feel some type of way because of who it is that authorized it and I hate Gary Garland's wife as much as the next person but Mary Jones was the one who revealed this. I know some will disagree with this but we can't change time. Just gotta accept it. Unfortunately.

Why wasn't it necessary? This was gonna come out eventually, regardless if the family said it or not. I know some feel some type of way because of who it is that authorized it and I hate Gary Garland's wife as much as the next person but Mary Jones was the one who revealed this. I know some will disagree with this but we can't change time. Just gotta accept it. Unfortunately.
    I just don't need to know yours or her family business. There are many things that have been told to me that I will not share publicly or even privately. That's just my view on it. No charges were or can pressed so what good is it to put it out there after they are dead?

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I just don't need to know yours or her family business. There are many things that have been told to me that I will not share publicly or even privately. That's just my view on it. No charges were or can pressed so what good is it to put it out there after they are dead?
    If people are aware of situations like this, it can help when they realize that their own situations are not unique. Hopefully, that can lead them to seek help. One of the people who copped to the situation was Whitney's brother, so the family can have beef with him for being honest if that's a problem. Silence doesn't help. The family shouldn't feel shame over the situation unless they permitted it to continue or go unpunished. But like the director, I would have struggled before including it in the film.

Both he and Mary Jones revealed that there was sexual molestation within the family. Also, you ever noticed you never saw Dee Dee in pics with Whitney and 'em... tells you all you need to know, really!

Both he and Mary Jones revealed that there was sexual molestation within the family. Also, you ever noticed you never saw Dee Dee in pics with Whitney and 'em... tells you all you need to know, really!
    I always wondered about that ... weren't we given a bs line line 'Dee Dee lives a life devoted to her religion' or some-such? Long time ago so I'm not entirely sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    If people are aware of situations like this, it can help when they realize that their own situations are not unique. Hopefully, that can lead them to seek help. One of the people who copped to the situation was Whitney's brother, so the family can have beef with him for being honest if that's a problem. Silence doesn't help. The family shouldn't feel shame over the situation unless they permitted it to continue or go unpunished. But like the director, I would have struggled before including it in the film.
    But if it was a decisive factor in the subject's life, why should it have not been included?

And if this helps a survivor of incest come forward to tell there story and get it out in the open then I say include in the the film. Incest survivors are 100% innocent and shouldnt have to carry any guilt or shame.

I always wondered about that ... weren't we given a bs line line 'Dee Dee lives a life devoted to her religion' or some-such? Long time ago so I'm not entirely sure.
    That's probably what it was. Then it was revealed after her death that she was heavily drug addicted and that her addiction was so severe, she suffered illness so bad that she had to go to a nursing home in her early 60s, which is too young to be in a doggone nursing home! Goes to show you even gospel families, especially prominent ones like the Drinkards, Warwicks and Houstons, hid under such cutesy PR. Just makes things worse IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    And if this helps a survivor of incest come forward to tell there story and get it out in the open then I say include in the the film. Incest survivors are 100% innocent and shouldnt have to carry any guilt or shame.
    Right. I'm just confused why [[it seems) one person thought it "wasn't necessary" to include it. As if we shouldn't find a reason why this person suffered with themselves for so long and suffered from low self esteem and was so unsure about who she was. Like why did this woman who came from such a talented and presumably "blessed" family suffer so much and fall into drug addiction? It had to be connected SOMEHOW. I mean Tammi Terrell and Florence Ballard suffered so much because of being sexually assaulted themselves and their sad stories are allowed but an uber-famous pop diva who broke many barriers in her career isn't allowed to be a victim? I don't get it. Her story needed to be told too!

http://s.nj.com/yFEE7AKhttp://s.nj.com/yFEE7AK.

This is apparently news to Bobby Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Absolutely, Ms. Roberta, and I also agree that if Whitney had been encouraged to be with Robyn we'd still have her. Best to you in these stressful times -

Right. I'm just confused why [[it seems) one person thought it "wasn't necessary" to include it. As if we shouldn't find a reason why this person suffered with themselves for so long and suffered from low self esteem and was so unsure about who she was. Like why did this woman who came from such a talented and presumably "blessed" family suffer so much and fall into drug addiction? It had to be connected SOMEHOW. I mean Tammi Terrell and Florence Ballard suffered so much because of being sexually assaulted themselves and their sad stories are allowed but an uber-famous pop diva who broke many barriers in her career isn't allowed to be a victim? I don't get it. Her story needed to be told too!
    Right on re: Terrell and Ballard. I volunteer as house-manager at an HIV-AIDS Addiction recovery facility and it's quite informing to see how many people who lose their way were victims of childhood sexual assault, in-family and not.

Y
    That's probably what it was. Then it was revealed after her death that she was heavily drug addicted and that her addiction was so severe, she suffered illness so bad that she had to go to a nursing home in her early 60s, which is too young to be in a doggone nursing home! Goes to show you even gospel families, especially prominent ones like the Drinkards, Warwicks and Houstons, hid under such cutesy PR. Just makes things worse IMHO.
    Yes, it sure does make things worse: within the family, and for outsiders who could possibly gain strength to see that there's a path forward. It won't 'matter' one way or another - the wreckage has happened [[Whitney & Bobbie C both, and probably as you say Dee Dee lost early) but it's difficult for me to believe that no one in the family knew anything.

Yeah I don't buy that no one in the family knew. They knew. That's why you never saw Dee Dee much.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I agree with including it and the director's rationale for it. The main reason it should have been included is because it provides perspective on both women's lives. Imagine some casual fans who may have thought that Dee Dee was not the flawed person she proved to be while casting aspersions at Whitney for being weak and dying in the sad manner that she did. Nobody's perfect, but this revelation totally flips a lot of people's perception of both women. I feel bad for the collateral damage in their survivors' lives from this hitting the public's knowledge base, but truth is never a bad thing. If it helps others, learning of this sad situation may be the only positive thing to come out of Whitney's death.

The fact that Michael was also a victim of Dee Dee should also put those "he got Whitney hooked on drugs" allegations in perspective, too. That's why silence is not helpful in these matters. He's suffering and will suffer for the rest of his life and misery does love company. Ultimately, we're all flawed and need to be careful of how we view others lest we find out how others view us.

^If I'm not mistaken, it's Gary and not Michael whom Dee Dee allegedly abused.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    ^If I'm not mistaken, it's Gary and not Michael whom Dee Dee allegedly abused.
    Apologies if I recalled incorrectly. Just a horrible situation all around.

I have a feeling Michael was touched too. But he didn't say she molested him. That said, he did tell the director that telling him of the family situation all three of them suffered from was "theraputic". Speaks volumes. Another reason why Whitney did drugs was because Michael was doing them and she was closest to Michael then she was to Gary [[who was close too but not like Whitney & Michael). Michael always saw himself as Whitney's protector and teacher in a sense. I know he feels a WHOLE lot of guilt for helping the destruction to Whitney that was inadvertently started by his hand. Cissy & John failed all three of their children.

What a heartbreaking story, dear Lord. I'm at a loss for words. I'm guessing this movie is not going to wide release?

Quote Originally Posted by Osbourne View Post
    What a heartbreaking story, dear Lord. I'm at a loss for words. I'm guessing this movie is not going to wide release?
    Hi and welcome to The Forum! My feeling is that it will go into wide release, given the director's resumé.

Coppelia-Birdsong Guest
    Good. If victims of abuse, or sexual assault had gotten a lick of support back then, then maybe we might have Whitney and her daughter, Florence, Tammi and so many others still with us. I am glad more and more is being done to expose people who have abused children or vulnerable young adults/teenagers and gotten away with it while their victims have had the trauma gnaw away inside them and be the start of a gradual but terminal downward spiral, and since abuse is cyclical it can transcend generations, as Whitney's slow and sure self destruction ultimately took down her daughter too.

Feel bad for Dionne Warwick though. It's so unfair that she is being dragged into something her rotten sister did. I feel bad for Dee Dee, but it goes to show not only can anyone be a victim of rape or pedophilia, anyone can be a perp as well. Still love all Miss Warwick's work though. Hopefully people will realise that Dee Dee and Whitney and her other victims were related, so people can't start pointing fingers and saying it's in the blood or the abuse was a family affair.

What we must also remember is that Dee Dee was an extremely troubled woman, and while it does not excuse her molestation of children at all, I would not be at all surprised if she had been raped or a victim of abuse herself. By examining her actions and her reactions, we can use what we learn to break the cycle of abuse for both victim and perps in the future. And we must learn how to break the cycles that lead to people molesting children: an ounce of prevention is worth a gallon of cure, and I would say when it comes from keeping children safe from molestation by understanding why people want to do that to anyone, let alone a child in the first place, it's worth more like 10,000 tonnes. So much good is done by preventing that kind of trauma to just one child. Just one. Save one young mind from that kind of nightmarish horror, and you save the world. Imagine what might have happened if Whitney had gotten the help she needed. Or Florence. Or Tammi. And that's without even getting into the boys and men who are abused in showbiz, as has been seen by the fall of Kevin Spacey.
    Last edited by Coppelia-Birdsong; 05-21-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Yeah, I don't get why Dionne is being blamed for it. She and Dee Dee weren't that close to begin with.

Whitney suffered from both incestual molestation and difficulties in her relationships as well as insecurity. All of those things ate her up in the end. Her friends did say that Robyn was a safety net for her and when she was gone, things got worse for Whitney.

I hope the same, but would find that hard to believe. Of course the remaining family members will claim complete unawareness but really - how could they not have known, or at least heard rumors?
    They didn't know. I am real sure of that. Why? Mr. John Houston would have killed Dee Dee and everybody that tried to stop him. They would have all been dead and he would have ended up in prison.