I was cleaning up my music library [[which, for this collector, is an ongoing project) today and re-recording the Tempts' Lost & Found: You've Got To Earn It 1962-1968 CD when I was annotating the track, "That'll Be The Day." I like to go through my library and, when the track was re-used by more than one Motown artist, align the annotations accordingly. I knew Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston had recorded a version of the song that was released on Motown Unreleased: 1966 and it shared the same music track, but I really paid attention to some things about it today. Here's what I found:

TEMPTATIONS VERSION
Produced by: Mickey Stevenson and Hank Cosby.
Track recorded: May 5, 1965, assigned to The Temptations
Lead vocal recorded: May 13, 1965 [[David Ruffin)
Background vocals and voices recorded May 20, 1965 [[possibly The Spinners and definitely The Andantes--I just don't think that's the Temptations back there by mid-1965 when the guys were supposedly so upset at recording/sharing backgrounds with the Andantes on Smokey's "It's Growing"!)
Strings added: June 8, 1965
UNRELEASED.

MARVIN GAYE & KIM WESTON VERSION
Produced by: Mickey Stevenson and Hank Cosby.
Track recorded: May 5, 1965, assigned to The Temptations
Background vocals and voices recorded May 20, 1965 [[possibly The Spinners and definitely The Andantes. Voices by The Andantes later wiped from recording)
Strings added: June 8, 1965
Lead vocals WITH NEW LYRICS recorded: January 28, 1966 [[Marvin Gaye and Kim Weston)
UNRELEASED.

The thing is, Mickey Stevenson [[or maybe it was Hank Cosby this time...?) dubbed in these new first verse lyrics without considering that the old ones were different? Maybe it was just a demo lead by Marvin and Kim in case they decided to completely record the song to include the song on the "Take Two" album? [[Though probably to save money on an album track, they would've left it as-is!)

In the Temptations version with the original lyrics:

David Ruffin: "When the people slide down ski trails without any snow..."
Spinners & Andantes: "Any snow!"
David Ruffin: "And the little children fly their kites, no wind to blow..."
Spinners & Andantes: "Wind to blow!"
David Ruffin: "Neither you or I would be fools enough to try, but that'll be the day, that'll be the day... when I stop loving you, stop loving yoooou!"

In the Marvin & Kim version with the new lyrics:

Marvin Gaye: "Can two lovers really find goodness in saying goodbye..."
Spinners & Andantes: "Any snow!"
Marvin Gaye: "Can someone discover how to shed no tears in a good cry..."
Spinners & Andantes: "Wind to blow!"
Marvin Gaye: "Neither you or I would be fool enough to try, but that'll be the day, that'll be the day... when I stop loving you, stop loving yoooou!"

Call me geeky Motown nerd [[hahaha!), but I just find stuff like this fascinating!