[REMOVE ADS]

Diana To Appear At The New Pier 17 Rooftop Concert Series

I love how Diana is the headliner but Gladys Knight and the OJays don't even get a mention in the article, let alone the headline.

Ironic how you have our little forum and what we know and how you have the public and it's knowledge and perception.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    I love how Diana is the headliner but Gladys Knight and the OJays don't even get a mention in the article, let alone the headline.

Ironic how you have our little forum and what we know and how you have the public and it's knowledge and perception.
    Maybe it's just me but I'm surprised to see the O'Jays there. Not that I thought they had slowed down [[Walter Williams' ongoing health problems notwithstanding), but I have heard little from them after their Unsung special so I'm glad to see them, at least Walter and Eddie, helping to commemorate the band's 60th anniversary.

Guessing because Diana still makes the occasional huge headlines [[she'd be seen as "permanent A-list") and the other two don't make as much as they used to despite their legendary statuses. But they should've gotten more press too so that's no good excuse lol

EDIT: they got them touring together! I guess Gladys and the O'Jays' double-headlining concert tour is why you see them together. I know they've been doing things on the road now. That's maybe why they didn't get mentioned. Maybe. I'm just being a hopeful person and hope it wasn't on purpose lol

Would the O'Jays have been the top male R & B Soul Group of the 70's or in the top 5? I'm not sure anymore.

It surprises me how the stature of what I regarded as some pretty iconic groups isn't quite what I thought it was.

Good for Diana ......................OUTSTANDING !!!
    love Eddie and Walt..................
    my hometown boys..........

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Would the O'Jays have been the top male R & B Soul Group of the 70's or in the top 5? I'm not sure anymore.

It surprises me how the stature of what I regarded as some pretty iconic groups isn't quite what I thought it was.
    Think they still are the top R&B/soul male vocal group of that era. But they sure don't get respect for it because they're "R&B".

Yes, Diana is perma-A-list for sure, occupying a status that late-career legends such as Ella & Sarah did before her. The double-headliner of Gladys & the O'Jays will most likely enable the evening to draw a crowd that neither may be able to draw on their own. Event promoters usually know what they are doing; it's of no use to a promoter to not maximize crowd size and hence profit.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Yes, Diana is perma-A-list for sure, occupying a status that late-career legends such as Ella & Sarah did before her. The double-headliner of Gladys & the O'Jays will most likely enable the evening to draw a crowd that neither may be able to draw on their own. Event promoters usually know what they are doing; it's of no use to a promoter to not maximize crowd size and hence profit.
    I've seen Gladys and the O'Jays together in concert many times and it has always been a great evening of song. The only disappointment for me is that they didn't perform a song together, although I have read that they have done so at some shows.

They have been touring together for years. Ross is almost always in the headline of announced acts from Hollywood Bowl to Hollywood Florida.