[REMOVE ADS]

new Stevie Album..Motown Resurgent?

hot on the heels of a brilliant NEW Temptations album..http://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=311855

Ooh! Stevie doing Vegas...

Yeah I've read his new album is just about finished.

The Motown legends are making a comeback. First, the Tempts, now Stevie.

I'm excited to hear about a new Stevie Wonder record. Do we have any information on the production, writing, anything?

A question I've had for sometime now is--what happened to Stevie the songwriter? I'm talking about the guy that wrote ALL those classic albums from the 70's. Of course, no one can keep up that pace, but...it just seemed like once the 80's rolled around something fundamentally changed. Sure he had a few big pop hits in the 80's--but no one is gonna say those songs stand with anything from 1970's Stevie Wonder. And then it seems like after a few more attempts in the 80's/90's [[most of which sound pretty dated now), he lost interest in making records.

Has he ever spoke about why this happened?

I've seen him live and he's still got it. Is there a chance that this new record is the one to bring him back to that higher level? I sure hope so!

Curious to hear your thoughts...

I think lyrically he peaked after Hotter than July. Plus he was a 30-year-old multimillionaire. People who get to the top start to get complacent. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
    I'm excited to hear about a new Stevie Wonder record. Do we have any information on the production, writing, anything?

A question I've had for sometime now is--what happened to Stevie the songwriter? I'm talking about the guy that wrote ALL those classic albums from the 70's. Of course, no one can keep up that pace, but...it just seemed like once the 80's rolled around something fundamentally changed. Sure he had a few big pop hits in the 80's--but no one is gonna say those songs stand with anything from 1970's Stevie Wonder. And then it seems like after a few more attempts in the 80's/90's [[most of which sound pretty dated now), he lost interest in making records.

Has he ever spoke about why this happened?

I've seen him live and he's still got it. Is there a chance that this new record is the one to bring him back to that higher level? I sure hope so!

Curious to hear your thoughts...
    Maybe he felt he had said everything he needed to say. I have enjoyed Stevie's occasional albums since his "peak" years, but they are not in the same class as those seminal 70's recordings, but i am grateful he is still around to make new music however irregularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Maybe he felt he had said everything he needed to say. I have enjoyed Stevie's occasional albums since his "peak" years, but they are not in the same class as those seminal 70's recordings, but i am grateful he is still around to make new music however irregularly.
    I feel the same way about Stevie. I've followed his albums ever since Music Of My Mind and while he's never matched the brilliance of his mid '70s LPs, he's never made a really bad one. Also, Stevie remains one of the Very Best live acts in the business [[and I predict this "brief summer tour" will be a big hit and may last longer than the few dates Stevie has planned for it).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I feel the same way about Stevie. I've followed his albums ever since Music Of My Mind and while he's never matched the brilliance of his mid '70s LPs, he's never made a really bad one. Also, Stevie remains one of the Very Best live acts in the business [[and I predict this "brief summer tour" will be a big hit and may last longer than the few dates Stevie has planned for it).
    I agree about the unsurpassed excellence of the 70s albums and his live performances.

But his 80s, 90s and 2000s work is good too.

The following are surely excellent by anyone's standards:

from In Square Circle.....Overjoyed
    from Characters......Free and Skeletons
    from Jungle Fever.....Chemical Love and Gotta Have You
    from [nothing!]....Keep Our Love Alive
    from Conversation Peace....For Your Love
    from A Time 2 Love...Shelter In The Rain and So What The Fuss

and that's before we talk about all the unreleased stuff. My favourite of these is probably a song called "Why".

Can't wait for the new album.

Smokey also has a new album out and new remixes of Mary Wilson's unreleased recordings are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Smokey also has a new album out and new remixes of Mary Wilson's unreleased recordings are coming.
    Hey Marv, what new album does Smokey have? Not the Christmas one?

Quote Originally Posted by wichmanne View Post
    I agree about the unsurpassed excellence of the 70s albums and his live performances.

and that's before we talk about all the unreleased stuff. My favourite of these is probably a song called "Why".

You're so right about all those songs from Stevie Wonder's post '70s LPs. To that list, I'd like to add:

"Dark & Lovely", "Galaxy Paradise" & "My Eyes Don't Cry No More" [[from Characters)
    "Queen In The Black" & "Each Other's Throat" [[from Jungle Fever Soundtrack)
    "Feeding Off The Love Of The Land" [[from the movie Jungle Fever-and only released on iTunes as part of their Complete Stevie Wonder Collection)
    "How Will I Know" & "My Love Is On Fire" [[from A Time To Love)

I'm also looking forward to his upcoming album. And as much of a perfectionist as Stevie is, I don't think we'll ever get to hear any of the stuff in his vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Marv, what new album does Smokey have? Not the Christmas one?
    One of standards. Some one posted details on here about it recently.

Yeah his post HTJ material is REAL good. I feel Jungle Fever was the greatest of his post-70s peak material.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    One of standards. Some one posted details on here about it recently.
    Oh yea, I thought it might be that one. I was hoping it might be an album of new material. I love Smokey, but not standards, if you know what i mean.

I can listen to all his albums without skipping a track. I had characters on rotation recently and it stands up well after not having played it for several years.

Stevie was at peak creative form in the 70s, but there wasn't a lot of slouching in the 80s, as far as I'm concerned. To me he was still Stevie in the early 90s, but Conversation Peace was where he lost me, aside from the beautiful "For Your Love". I do have high hopes for his new album.

In a nutshell I agree with everything everyone stated, but I won't get excited about this until a concrete date is set. Stevie is notorious for announcing new projects that fans never see. He was supposed to record an album with Tony Martin with Quincy Jones as producer. He was said to be working on a gospel album in addition to a jazz album. Then maybe maybe a few years back he was to release two other albums of new material. Then I think Universal wanted to reissue " Songs In The Key If Life" with all the tracks that didn't make the project,he rejected that idea. "A Time To Love" was to drop Aug 27, 2004 as promoted on Oprah, but we didn't get it until October of 2005. I have to contain my excitement here,but I pray we hold this in our hands at some point. Stevie is not the most reliable person when it comes to letting a work of art go. He has nothing to prove as his legacy is cemented. I just hope we can actually hear this one 13 years in the making.

Oh yea, I thought it might be that one. I was hoping it might be an album of new material. I love Smokey, but not standards, if you know what i mean.
    I know what you mean Tom. I loved the album that Smokey did around 10 years ago. Was it called "time flies" or something similar. I would love to hear another album similar to that. Standards have been done to death, but i know they are easy to market and they will not be going away anytime soon. It's a fertile period for classic Motown artists.

I know what you mean Tom. I loved the album that Smokey did around 10 years ago. Was it called "time flies" or something similar. I would love to hear another album similar to that. Standards have been done to death, but i know they are easy to market and they will not be going away anytime soon. It's a fertile period for classic Motown artists.
    Ooh I am unfamiliar with that album actually Bluebrock, I'm gonna have to check it out. As long as it’s not standards, I'm interested. Not familiar with Smokey post-1990s really. Maybe I was kinda put off by the Smokey & Friends album, lol. Actually, do you have that one, and what are your thoughts on it?

Ooh I am unfamiliar with that album actually Bluebrock, I'm gonna have to check it out. As long as it’s not standards, I'm interested. Not familiar with Smokey post-1990s really. Maybe I was kinda put off by the Smokey & Friends album, lol. Actually, do you have that one, and what are your thoughts on it?
    No, i do not own Smokey and friends. It never really held the appeal an album of original material would. The album i was talking about is called "time flies when you are having fun" from 2009. It features new and original Smokey tunes and includes input from the likes of India Arie, Joss Stone and Carlos Santana. Smokey produced the album as well as writing the songs, and he sounds in great voice. You should check it out.

No, i do not own Smokey and friends. It never really held the appeal an album of original material would. The album i was talking about is called "time flies when you are having fun" from 2009. It features new and original Smokey tunes and includes input from the likes of India Arie, Joss Stone and Carlos Santana. Smokey produced the album as well as writing the songs, and he sounds in great voice. You should check it out.
    Fair enough Bluebrock. I'll have to check out both before I make any decisions of course

Apparently, Smokey & Friends is Smokey's second most successful album in his solo career!

Fair enough Bluebrock. I'll have to check out both before I make any decisions of course

Apparently, Smokey & Friends is Smokey's second most successful album in his solo career!
    SMOKEY & FRIENDS is a good cd, IMO. It got a lot of attention when it was released. It debuted at #12 on the charts, but fell steadily over the following weeks. So it is probably more accurate to say that it is his second highest-charting solo album, but I don't think it was all that successful.

TIME FLIES WHEN YOU'RE HAVING FUN had its moments as well, particularly his version of Norah Jones' DON'T KNOW WHY and his duet with Joss Stone. His album of standards, TIMELESS LOVE, is good also.

The new Temptations album is terrible. It's all covers, and all mellow. All I want is for Stevie to funk again like he did in the 70s.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    The new Temptations album is terrible. It's all covers, and all mellow. All I want is for Stevie to funk again like he did in the 70s.
    Whaaaa? I have to disagree soulster. I actually really like their covers, especially "When I Was Your Man" and "Stay With Me". Admittedly those two are quite mellow. "Still Feel Like Your Man" has a great groove to it through. And "Move Them Britches" is properly funky.

I do want some Funk from Stevie again though. Especially if it has horns.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    SMOKEY & FRIENDS is a good cd, IMO. It got a lot of attention when it was released. It debuted at #12 on the charts, but fell steadily over the following weeks. So it is probably more accurate to say that it is his second highest-charting solo album, but I don't think it was all that successful.

TIME FLIES WHEN YOU'RE HAVING FUN had its moments as well, particularly his version of Norah Jones' DON'T KNOW WHY and his duet with Joss Stone. His album of standards, TIMELESS LOVE, is good also.
    Thanks for your thoughts reese! I shall have to check them out.

Jungle fever's a great album - Make Sure You're Sure's one of his best ballads ever.

I have a fair bit of unreleased stuff from mainly '73/'74 that just begs to be released - maybe Stevie will dig into some of those songs for this new album.

It was said, at the time, that The Jungle Fever soundtrack was banged out in a week! Any truth to that?