[REMOVE ADS]

Donna summer the musical on broadway

The music is current;y playing on broadway in New York. Here's a clip from the rehearsals

I saw "Summer: The Donna Summer Musical" last week. It was entertaining. The book is almost non-existent. The staging is nice but more touring musical than Broadway. There are three performers portraying Donna at different stages of her life: Storm Lever [[Duckling Donna), Ariana DeBose [[Disco Donna) and LaChanze [[Diva Donna). Only LaChanze approaches anything resembling Donna Summer's vocal magic. Unfortunately, DeBose has most of the hit songs -- she's lovely and a great dancer but she misses some moments that could be thrilling with a more commanding vocalist.

Even so, it's got all the music and the tone is upbeat and celebratory. If you like Donna and her music you will enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I saw "Summer: The Donna Summer Musical" last week. It was entertaining. The book is almost non-existent. The staging is nice but more touring musical than Broadway. There are three performers portraying Donna at different stages of her life: Storm Lever [[Duckling Donna), Ariana DeBose [[Disco Donna) and LaChanze [[Diva Donna). Only LaChanze approaches anything resembling Donna Summer's vocal magic. Unfortunately, DeBose has most of the hit songs -- she's lovely and a great dancer but she misses some moments that could be thrilling with a more commanding vocalist.

Even so, it's got all the music and the tone is upbeat and celebratory. If you like Donna and her music you will enjoy.
    I saw it last week as well, Guy. As I said to y friend as we left, "I knew more about Donna coming in that I did coming out!" The book of this musical is very, very, very weak. The direction is also not wonderful [[don't get the women playing men thing). Indeed, LaChanze has the voice and comes closest to the Donna sound. She does get the more emotional tunes. I enjoyed the music, but the show was almost like a Donna Summer tribute evening.

I’m supposed to go see it. Is it worth it overall or should I see something else?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I’m supposed to go see it. Is it worth it overall or should I see something else?
    Luke, I can't say that I'd recommend it. If you didn't pay much for the ticket it's worth it. My friend paid full price for us and I would never have paid $149 for a ticket to see it. If you enjoy the music it is wall to wall, but much of it doesn't sound like Donna - well sung, but not Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    As I said to y friend as we left, "I knew more about Donna coming in that I did coming out!" The book of this musical is very, very, very weak. The direction is also not wonderful [[don't get the women playing men thing).
    LOL. That is hilarious and so true. For anyone who knows anything about her life and career there are some head-scratching moments. Ultimately, I think it's a show for the masses who know the music but don't know Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes. If you like Donna's music I would say it's worthwhile. You can't see a Broadway show for less than $150. This one is as good as anything else on Broadway right now.