[REMOVE ADS]

Childish Gambino - "This Is America" Thoughts?

This is probably the hottest video/song out at the moment. The video is controversial. What are your thoughts?

I could write a book about that video, Marv. I don't know when I've been so intrigued by a political message in a music video. It's violent and disturbing and probably the most well-orchestrated statement in song since the Viet Nam War. I may be over-reacting, but that's how I feel. Another interesting thesis on the nature of Blackness in the age of Black Panther and Get Out.

Many are suggesting that people will think it glorifies black on black crime [[it doesn't) and that the shooter should have been white, since most mass shootings are at the hands of white men. They're completely missing the message, and that's sad. Others are suggesting that after we've seen Stephon Clark and Eric Garner and Alton Sterling and Philando Castille murdered on tape, the depiction of violence is gratuitous and unwelcome. That's just as sad.

But if you want to know how I think of it, I'm glad he did it and also for the conversation that it's started.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    I could write a book about that video, Marv. I don't know when I've been so intrigued by a political message in a music video. It's violent and disturbing and probably the most well-orchestrated statement in song since the Viet Nam War. I may be over-reacting, but that's how I feel. Another interesting thesis on the nature of Blackness in the age of Black Panther and Get Out.

Many are suggesting that people will think it glorifies black on black crime [[it doesn't) and that the shooter should have been white, since most mass shootings are at the hands of white men. They're completely missing the message, and that's sad. Others are suggesting that after we've seen Stephon Clark and Eric Garner and Alton Sterling and Philando Castille murdered on tape, the depiction of violence is gratuitous and unwelcome. That's just as sad.

But if you want to know how I think of it, I'm glad he did it and also for the conversation that it's started.
    It was the best thing I've seen in a long time.

I'm glad he used violence to make a statement. In this country, sometimes I think that violence is all that people respect sadly. The mass shooting of the church choir represented not only what Dylann Roof did, it also represents how you're not even safe in church in this country.

The dancing school kids, his backup dancers were dressed like kids were in the 1960s. They represented the innocent, happy go lucky days of childhood in the midst of today's chaotic and murderous society.

He said the video "wasn't that deep" so eff him.

Very profound video and definitely [[unfortunately) represents the world that we are living in today. Glad that he was bold enough to film this. I saw his performance on SNL last week as host and musical guest but this video really lays it out. He's such a multi-talented artist [[writer, producer, actor, stand up comic, singer and rapper). Hopefully more music today will have more substance.

Someone wrote how I feel about the video:
    https://medium.com/@mrbenibo/this-is...a-f2fdbe5f6154

If y'all have a chance, read it.

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Very profound video and definitely [[unfortunately) represents the world that we are living in today. Glad that he was bold enough to film this. I saw his performance on SNL last week as host and musical guest but this video really lays it out. He's such a multi-talented artist [[writer, producer, actor, stand up comic, singer and rapper). Hopefully more music today will have more substance.
    I do hope this video, this song is a promise of what we may get in music in the near future. It grabs your attention and makes you want to hear and watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

That's exactly the opposite of my point of view, Midnightman. I frequent Twitter and although I see umpteen videos of police abuse and read dozens of headlines per day, I'm not desensitized to the violence. My soul aches because each one that I see is more troubling, not less. To suggest that DeRay McKesson, Donald Glover and Ta-nehisi Coates are opportunists is disingenuous. What should activists do? Ignore the problem or just write about it indignantly and hope that's enough? Also, to suggest that they're somehow blocking LGBTQ voices is BS. McKesson is gay.

The few examples of police being held accountable are almost totally based on video that proves that they stepped over the line. If you don't want to see it, don't watch. I honestly don't mean that in a condescending way. The tip-toe pace toward justice reform is only occurring because of the advent of cell phone video. As horrible as watching Philando Castille, Eric Garner, Alton Sterling and Walter Scott is, seeing is the only true prompt to action.

Just wondering if you and the author have the same opinion about watching violent film or if it's mostly true life videos that are upsetting? The author's reference to them as "snuff films" is unfortunate, by the way. The makers of snuff films intend to murder people on film. Nobody but the cops intends to murder anyone in the cell phone videos. The politics of the writer clearly fall on the far right and his attack on people that he presumes to be "neo-liberal Blacks" is condescending. Interestingly, he fashions himself a social justice reformer but I wonder what his plan toward reforming criminal justice is. But you're entitled to your opinion.

That part with him dancing on top of the car, reminded me of when Michael Jackson did something similar in one of his videos. I want to find it now.

That's exactly the opposite of my point of view, Midnightman. I frequent Twitter and although I see umpteen videos of police abuse and read dozens of headlines per day, I'm not desensitized to the violence. My soul aches because each one that I see is more troubling, not less. To suggest that DeRay McKesson, Donald Glover and Ta-nehisi Coates are opportunists is disingenuous. What should activists do? Ignore the problem or just write about it indignantly and hope that's enough? Also, to suggest that they're somehow blocking LGBTQ voices is BS. McKesson is gay.

The few examples of police being held accountable are almost totally based on video that proves that they stepped over the line. If you don't want to see it, don't watch. I honestly don't mean that in a condescending way. The tip-toe pace toward justice reform is only occurring because of the advent of cell phone video. As horrible as watching Philando Castille, Eric Garner, Alton Sterling and Walter Scott is, seeing is the only true prompt to action.

Just wondering if you and the author have the same opinion about watching violent film or if it's mostly true life videos that are upsetting? The author's reference to them as "snuff films" is unfortunate, by the way. The makers of snuff films intend to murder people on film. Nobody but the cops intends to murder anyone in the cell phone videos. The politics of the writer clearly fall on the far right and his attack on people that he presumes to be "neo-liberal Blacks" is condescending. Interestingly, he fashions himself a social justice reformer but I wonder what his plan toward reforming criminal justice is. But you're entitled to your opinion.
    The person that wrote that article seems to just have a chip on his shoulder. It is not a very well written commentary. He even gets the name of the song "Strange Fruit" wrong calling it "Strange Leaves". This guy is so misguided. He complains now that we have proof via video of police brutality and murders. He says to show these actions by police towards blacks is disrespectful. That's bullshit. It proves what blacks have been saying for years.

He pretends to know Donald Glover's motivation for creating this video when it is clear he doesn't have clue..........

This video and song are brilliant!
    Last edited by marv2; 05-14-2018 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The person that wrote that article seems to just have a chip on his shoulder. It is not a very well written commentary. He even gets the name of the song "Strange Fruit" calling it "Strange Leaves". This guy is so misguided. He complains now that we have proof via video of police brutality and murders. He says to show these actions by police towards blacks is disrespectful. That's bullshit. It proves what blacks have been saying for years.

He pretends to know Donald Glover's motivation for creating this video when it is clear he doesn't have clue..........

This video and song is brilliant!
    I agree 100%. I showed it to my Mom and it blew her away even though she didn't really understand it. I didn't show it to Dad, who would have gotten upset over the violence. Dad is cool but he's not big at picking up messages and themes. After the first gun shot, Pops would have shut down.

I typically don't read past typos but I decided to finish it once I started and not only did he miss things like the "Strange Fruit" gaffe, but there were numerous grammatical and spelling errors in it. I guess he's blaming that on Gambino for disturbing him during exam week.

I agree 100%. I showed it to my Mom and it blew her away even though she didn't really understand it. I didn't show it to Dad, who would have gotten upset over the violence. Dad is cool but he's not big at picking up messages and themes. After the first gun shot, Pops would have shut down.

I typically don't read past typos but I decided to finish it once I started and not only did he miss things like the "Strange Fruit" gaffe, but there were numerous grammatical and spelling errors in it. I guess he's blaming that on Gambino for disturbing him during exam week.
    Exam week? Oh so it was a kid, a student who wrote that "review"? I feel he really has it all wrong! The video is very thought provoking if nothing else. I don't see it as a negative statement at all. I see it as a conscious reminder of what type of World, country we're living in today.

He is a grad student at UNC-Charlotte. He's old enough to write something with more critical thinking and depth than that. It's almost like he decided that he didn't like it, so he lumped together reasons that don't really support it. The fact that he's irked by Ta-nahesi Coates and DeRay McKesson, both of who are more "woke" than he thinks himself to be, tells me that he's a poser who hopes one day to get in good with the Faux News crowd.

He is a grad student at UNC-Charlotte. He's old enough to write something with more critical thinking and depth than that. It's almost like he decided that he didn't like it, so he lumped together reasons that don't really support it. The fact that he's irked by Ta-nahesi Coates and DeRay McKesson, both of who are more "woke" than he thinks himself to be, tells me that he's a poser who hopes one day to get in good with the Faux News crowd.
    Well in the words of Cenk from The Young Turks......."Have at it Hoss". The writer was really grasping to peg this work by Donald Glover as exploitation. He has been sheltered if he thinks this video is exploitation of the black experience in America. Heck, it's only like 3 mins. long! LOL!!!!

He's a Candace Owens wannabe. But she's already got the whole "intellectual black who kisses alt-right dick" job on lock down. This dude will be lucky to do makeup one day for Diamond and Silk.

He's a Candace Owens wannabe. But she's already got the whole "intellectual black who kisses alt-right dick" job on lock down. This dude will be lucky to do makeup one day for Diamond and Silk.
    You're funny Jerry! LOL!!!! I think you nailed it.

Ok, just read that and the author is a clown. Too much to write on how much I disagree with the foolishness that he just wrote...SMH

Ok, just read that and the author is a clown. Too much to write on how much I disagree with the foolishness that he just wrote...SMH
    I agree Glen. The author seems to have an agenda that is not clear to me.

Apparently, there's a feminist version of the song but no one's really taking it well:
    https://www.themarysue.com/nicole-arbour-needs-to-stop/

A clown is right every now and then lol
    Also for some of us who have seen black people killed on camera, I don't know the positives of what Donald hoped to accomplish. I know folks think it was important but some of us who dealt with racism against us don't think what he did was helping. So most of us are not clowns in how we feel. JMHO.

Apparently, there's a feminist version of the song but no one's really taking it well:
    https://www.themarysue.com/nicole-arbour-needs-to-stop/
    What? The fastest move of Cultural appropriation? I don't think so!

What? The fastest move of Cultural appropriation? I don't think so!
    It's nothing to see at the other end of the link, Marv. It's a female comic trying to poke fun at the video and song by changing the subject from racism to sexism. The link even derided her video as myopic and dismissive of the issues that "This Is America" presented.

It's nothing to see at the other end of the link, Marv. It's a female comic trying to poke fun at the video and song by changing the subject from racism to sexism. The link even derided her video as myopic and dismissive of the issues that "This Is America" presented.
    You know I don't understand why anytime the subject has to do with racism or black issues other groups seem to always want to change the subject and turn the spotlight back on themselves. I'm miffed!

I don't either. Things are getting crazier and crazier. You can get arrested two minutes after entering a Starbucks. You can't look "different" on a college tour. You can't fall asleep in the common room of a dorm. You can't cook in a public park. You can't ask to see a manager after being charged extra for utensils at a Waffle House. You can't take your luggage to a car after spending money to stay in an Air BNB residence. All of this happened in the last six weeks and all resulted in white folks calling the police on black people. Several wound up with people being inappropriately detained or abused. So tired of it. And then, I just read this:
    Some white people are calling the police for really minor things

A white woman called the cops on a black real estate investor. Police defended him.

In a twist on recent racial profiling incidents, police officers told the woman they weren’t needed.

By P.R. Lockhart May 15, 2018, 6:30pm EDT

<font color="#4C4E4D"><span style="font-family: Balto">

Over the past few weeks, we’ve seen a wave of high profile racial profiling incidents — white people calling the police because black people or people of color look “suspicious.”

But some officers aren’t happy to be called in these instances,as a new video shows.
    Michael Hayes, a black real estate investor in Memphis, Tennessee, was inspecting a house in need of repairs on May 5. A white woman who lived in the neighborhooddemanded to know why he was outside.

In a video posted to YouTube, Hayes explained that he was an investor looking at the property and that the person who owned the home knew he would be there. He also showed the woman an investment contract signed by the owner, as well as a letter showing that he had written permission to enter the house.

The woman, still suspicious of Hayes, called the police.

When they arrived, Hayes began recording his interaction with the officers, explaining that he had permission to be in the home. In a refreshing twist, the officers listened to Hayes and told the woman that if she interfered with his work, she would be arrested.

“If you have any problems with her, what I want you to do is call me back over here,” a male officer told Hayes. “She will go to jail for that.”

“Hurry up, do it and get out!” the woman
    then said to Hayes.

“He can take all day,” the officer replied.

The officers, at Hayes’ request, stayed outside as he took photos of the home.

When you look at the recent spate of racial profiling cases, one thing that stands out is how minor some of the alleged offenses are — and that someone feeling suspicious or uncomfortable is seemingly enough to warrant calling law enforcement.

It also shows howpeople of colorare subject to arbitrary social expectations and heightened scrutiny. It’s a phenomenon that academics argue is more likely to happen in places where people of color, especially black people, are in the minority.

Recent research shows that white and black communities call police at different rates and often for different reasons. When law enforcement officers are summoned in situations when they’re not actually needed, callers — who are often white — create the potential for a violent encounter, or escalation. It’s a real reason to be concerned, given that police use force more often when dealing with people of color.

Fortunately, the officers in Hayes’s case seemed aware of these issues because they chided the woman for calling the police for no reason and for telling the man that he didn’t belong in the neighborhood.

“The police, they were on my side,” Hayes says at the end of the video. “I’m happy to be going home now.”

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...-michael-hayes
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 05-16-2018 at 12:02 AM.

You can't be a 12 year old kid playing with a toy gun in a vacant park in Cleveland either.....

I don't either. Things are getting crazier and crazier. You can get arrested two minutes after entering a Starbucks. You can't look "different" on a college tour. You can't fall asleep in the common room of a dorm. You can't cook in a public park. You can't ask to see a manager after being charged extra for utensils at a Waffle House. You can't take your luggage to a car after spending money to stay in an Air BNB residence. All of this happened in the last six weeks and all resulted in white folks calling the police on black people. Several wound up with people being inappropriately detained or abused. So tired of it. And then, I just read this:
    https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...-michael-hayes
    This is crazy.., no this is sick! WTF?

This is crazy.., no this is sick! WTF?
    This is America. Or more accurately, this is AmeriKKKa. By the way, I can't wait to see this Spike Lee movie when it comes out:

This is America. Or more accurately, this is AmeriKKKa. By the way, I can't wait to see this Spike Lee movie when it comes out:
    I saw that trailer last night. It looks very good. It looks authentic to the times [[1970) and it's inclusion of the Temptations "Ball of Confusion" just takes me back to being 10 years old again.