[REMOVE ADS]

TCB Compact Disc

For a while, I have been watching various sites on the net hoping to order the original TCB CD. I am not looking for the TCB CD that also includes the LIVERPOOL CD as a twofer.

When I occasionally locate this CD, it is extremely expensive. I am wondering why this particular CD is so expensive. Since the album was a huge seller, I cannot understand why the marketplace does not have many of the CDs.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 05-10-2018 at 09:32 PM.

Could it be that it aged badly and by the CD era not many were made?

I know it was said that TCB got better chart numbers but Diana Ross and the Supremes Join the Temptations got the sales

I have this CD. And it is quite rare to find it. Talk of the town is another hard to find one.

The early CD series [[MOTD and 37463 varieties are pretty much identical but not in all cases) are long out of print and many of them are hard to find and very expensive when you do come across them. So it's not just TCB. Four Tops "Now" springs to mind as another example and Supremes "Right On", Michael Jackson "One Day In Your Life" and "Looking Back to Yesterday" etc so the list of the expensive would be really quite extensive. Conversely some can be picked up for a song, DRATS Greatest 1,2 and 3 for example. However, these series don't have the best mastering you'll find and so later releases tend to be preferable where they are available remastered.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    The early CD series [[MOTD and 37463 varieties are pretty much identical but not in all cases) are long out of print and many of them are hard to find and very expensive when you do come across them. So it's not just TCB. Four Tops "Now" springs to mind as another example and Supremes "Right On", Michael Jackson "One Day In Your Life" and "Looking Back to Yesterday" etc so the list of the expensive would be really quite extensive. Conversely some can be picked up for a song, DRATS Greatest 1,2 and 3 for example. However, these series don't have the best mastering you'll find and so later releases tend to be preferable where they are available remastered.
    Good point, mysterysinger. That now causes me to wonder why TCB has never been remastered as so many have even on iTunes [[“Mastered for iTunes.”)?
    Last edited by longtimefan; 05-11-2018 at 06:17 AM.

Was TCB recorded over one or several shows?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    I had the impression the soundtrack was pre-recorded in the studio and lip synched for the cameras - but I'm sure there is someone here that knows for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    They must have filmed at least two performances as Diana's infamous wig switch during the opening scene proves. Besides that, most tv shows need multiple tapings to make sure they have enough footage in case of mistakes, bad tape stock, etc.

Re the vocals, in J. Randy's book, he wrote that the back-up vocals were pre-recorded. Most of the vocals [[live or pre-recorded) and patter on the album match the tv special to my ears, although I do hear slight differences during the Supremes' hit medley and their group introduction.

Hopefully George Solomon can chime in. :-)

the fact that a DVD for this and "G.I.T." are not available borders on the criminal.. there is just no excuse, it's ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    the fact that a DVD for this and "G.I.T." are not available borders on the criminal.. there is just no excuse, it's ridiculous
    Agreed.

I must admit to not being thrilled with these shows when they first aired, mostly because they didn't perform their current hits. Having watched these shows in recent years I now realize how good they are, especially TCB. They should be available on DVD, but at least we have youtube.

I feel that the TCB Special deserves one of those Super Deluxe Editions. A multi-disc box set including both the DVD [[or Blu-Ray), the Soundtrack for the show and another CD for any unreleased extras from the special [[and the same goes for GIT). As another poster has said, at least we can watch the show on YouTube [[for now).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I feel that the TCB Special deserves one of those Super Deluxe Editions. A multi-disc box set including both the DVD [[or Blu-Ray), the Soundtrack for the show and another CD for any unreleased extras from the special [[and the same goes for GIT). As another poster has said, at least we can watch the show on YouTube [[for now).
    I agree. And I WANT.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    They must have filmed at least two performances as Diana's infamous wig switch during the opening scene proves. Besides that, most tv shows need multiple tapings to make sure they have enough footage in case of mistakes, bad tape stock, etc.

Re the vocals, in J. Randy's book, he wrote that the back-up vocals were pre-recorded. Most of the vocals [[live or pre-recorded) and patter on the album match the tv special to my ears, although I do hear slight differences during the Supremes' hit medley and their group introduction.

Hopefully George Solomon can chime in. :-)
    only part of the background vocals were pre-recorded. it's pretty much whenever there's not a mike in front of them that they're lipsyncing. So scenes like the one where they're in the pink, orange and red outfits were pre recorded. But scenes where they're on the stage over the orchestra [[opening, Stop, Hanging On, Symphony, etc) are not. those are live.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    only part of the background vocals were pre-recorded. it's pretty much whenever there's not a mike in front of them that they're lipsyncing. So scenes like the one where they're in the pink, orange and red outfits were pre recorded. But scenes where they're on the stage over the orchestra [[opening, Stop, Hanging On, Symphony, etc) are not. those are live.
    That totally makes sense, although J. Randy specifically calls out I HEAR A SYMPHONY as being one with pre-recorded backup vocals, even utilizing quotes from Cindy and Donald McKayle. Of course, quotes can be wrong.

There’s a printed story that Diana reprimanded Cindy and Mary for singing too loud and Cindy said she was being ridiculous as the backgrounds had been pre-recorded earlier! But Diane insisted they were too loud. Not sure what performance was involved.

I think there are plans for an expanded Talk Of The Town with a performance from a second show. also out takes.
    I am sure TCB may get a expanded edition at some point but I am under the impression REFLECTIONS is next and ROSS 78....I think they are staying close to the original release dates as much as possible but then again Funny Girl was released unexpectedly and out of sync with the order release schedule. I think with TCB there were legal issues as well as Diana Live at Royal Hall that was cancelled at the last minute

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    That totally makes sense, although J. Randy specifically calls out I HEAR A SYMPHONY as being one with pre-recorded backup vocals, even utilizing quotes from Cindy and Donald McKayle. Of course, quotes can be wrong.
    While on stage the orchestra is playing w them. There’s no way they would have Diana live, the orchestra live and then try to que and time a tape of M and C. There are countless other tv appearances where the Symphony story could have occurred. Memories often blur w the passing of time. Maybe it wasn’t Symphony on TCB but Lady Is Tramp on Hollywood palace or funny girl medley on Sullivan. Who knows.

Another story from the history of the Sups that simply isn’t 100% accurate is the bit of Flo making up those ad libs in You’re Nobody during the copa run. On the More Hits expanded edition they include You’re Nobody from their Live In Paris shows. It includes similar ad libs. These shows preceded the Copa run by months showing that the comedy routine was already in place

TCB made me a die hard fan....I already had the 45 The Happening & weeks earlier got the 2 LP blue hits [[first LP I got with my own $) that I was loving, and Love Child & I'm Gonna Make You Love Me were my very recent additions. Seeing TCB threw me into the deep end. I immediately fell in love with Mary. And I always preferred Cindy over any other soprano....Flo was already gone by time I became a fan....I was 8 yrs. old.

There are those who claim that it involves too many folks and copyrights to issue but then the music does belong to Motown Records so I am at a lost for the real reason it has not been distributed by now. Surly it is outdated by now. Fans have distributed the full show and video at this point. I do have the 2 for I CD and the video. Three or four biggest mysteries of the Supremes .....TCB, GIT, FARWELL and the Solo performance of Diana Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    There are those who claim that it involves too many folks and copyrights to issue but then the music does belong to Motown Records so I am at a lost for the real reason it has not been distributed by now. Surly it is outdated by now. Fans have distributed the full show and video at this point. I do have the 2 for I CD and the video. Three or four biggest mysteries of the Supremes .....TCB, GIT, FARWELL and the Solo performance of Diana Ross.
    The issue could be that medley where they sing other pop hits. U have the Burt Bacharach song. THe Beatles. Simon and Garfunkel. That’s a lot of different catalogs [[and big time ones too) that you’d have to get permissions from. And royalties would have to be paid to them too. That would quickly erode the profit margin for Motown/universal