[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Prim-ettes? A Current Performing Act With Roots to Mary and Diana ??? Himm

Can anyone make sense of this article? It seems that there is a current concert featuring the Prim-ettes and they have roots to Diana and Mary. Any info about this?

Soul man Roy G Hemmings in West Cliff show

FORMER Drifter Roy G Hemmings presents an evening of timeless classics from some of the biggest names in Motown and soul.

With a career spanning four decades, Roy is the longest serving former member of the legendary group, who enjoyed hits such as Like Sister And Brother, Kissin' in the Back Row of the Movies, There Goes My First Love and You're More Than A Number In My Little Red Book.

He worked alongside founder member Johnny Moore for more than 10 years and has entertained audiences around the world with his easy, relaxed style.

Roy has appeared in a number of Royal Variety shows and twice at The White House.

He signed a recording deal in the mid-seventies with disco-funksters the JALN Band, who stormed the British charts with the Peter Waterman-produced Disco Music, I Like It.

After the group disbanded, Roy released first solo album No Afro, No Sequins, No Flares to great critical acclaim.

His 1999 follow-up All Talked Out included a version of Drifters classic Like Sister and Brother.

His current show includes the songs of Otis Reading, James Brown, The O-Jays, Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops and other Motown and soul greats.

Tracks include Get Ready, Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay, Under the Boardwalk, Can't Help Myself, My Girl, Save The Last Dance For Me and Love Train.

The show also features soul divas The Prim-ettes, with their smooth harmonies and slick dance routines.

Diana Ross and Mary Wilson were founder members of the Prim-ettes before changing their name to The Supremes.

Roy G Hemmings is at the West Cliff Theatre on Saturday, May 12, at 7.30pm. Tickets are £22 [[£20 over-60s) from the box office on 01255 433344.

http://www.clactonandfrintongazette....st_Cliff_show/

It's Primettes, not Prim-ettes.

So I'm skeptical of this.

Plus, wouldn't Milton Jenkins own the name? What's the need for the hyphen???

It's probably Shantel.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    It's probably Shantel.
    None other than.....didn't she replace Betty McGlown...or Barbara Martin...or Freda Payne?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYZFzfWUTA

Yes. She replaced Freda

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes. She replaced Freda
    Thanks Luke for verifying that. I truly can't keep up with Shantel's brilliant career. There are so many monumental highlights [[and parking lot performances).

Those are some hot looking women in that picture with Roy.

Of course lakeside. Shantel is currently touring Florida parking lots and will be releasing a new cd called my hits with Freda and Freddie!

Of course lakeside. Shantel is currently touring Florida parking lots and will be releasing a new cd called my hits with Freda and Freddie!
    Wow Luke.....with all those 'hits'...it surely must be a box set!

How could you think anything else lakeside?? One side with Freda, one with Freddie, two with the Supreme Shantelettes and a “Live at Lulus parking lot” side.

I guess Shantel's last stop in the parking lot of a Piggly Wiggly in South Carolina got out of hand. They ran out bottled water from the cooler so they hitched up a hose to one of the grocery store's outside faucets and people were drinking from the hose. Someone got the idea to do a wet t-shirt contest and before you know it everyone was soaked. They sprayed the microphone, karaoke machine, and amps which caused a power outage at the store. Cops had to be called in. Shantel didn't even finish her set. She just got through her 15-minute "Wait" version of "You Can't Hurry Love." There were no refunds.

Will it contain her legendary hit "You Got to Wait"? LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I guess Shantel's last stop in the parking lot of a Piggly Wiggly in South Carolina got out of hand. They ran out bottled water from the cooler so they hitched up a hose to one of the grocery store's outside faucets and people were drinking from the hose. Someone got the idea to do a wet t-shirt contest and before you know it everyone was soaked. They sprayed the microphone, karaoke machine, and amps which caused a power outage at the store. Cops had to be called in. Shantel didn't even finish her set. She just got through her 15-minute "Wait" version of "You Can't Hurry Love." There were no refunds.
    No refunds? That darn Shantel! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    It's Primettes, not Prim-ettes.

So I'm skeptical of this.

Plus, wouldn't Milton Jenkins own the name? What's the need for the hyphen???
    Uh, Milton is no longer with us.......

Oh....but hold the phone.....Shantel has 'competition' in the next parking lot!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Will it contain her legendary hit "You Got to Wait"? LOL!!!!
    Yep....and wait....and wait....and wait.....

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    No, no. That was the Original Group. That is Shantel in the lower left corner of the picture. This was before she stabbed Pearlie [[the Original lead singer in the white hat) in the back and took over the group!

Omg. It’s getting so confusing. They all ought to come together and do that supergroup thing...Pearlie, Karaan, Shantel, Freda etc etc etc

You guys are nuts-haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Some of you seem to forget the big big hit!!https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2WzskfCliW4
    Last edited by luke; 05-14-2018 at 12:01 PM.

Big hit, indeed. I have to admit, my favorite is the 'concert' in front of Classic Cleaners.
    I guess Shantelle would refer to this as her 'arena' concert.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhEzqnTjf_E&app=desktop

The interviewer doesn’t seem to recall the big hit. I’d agree per the “outdoor “ concert tho her performance in that bar where she walks around in her cowgirl hat singing You Can’t Hurry Love comes close.

The interviewer doesn’t seem to recall the big hit. I’d agree per the “outdoor “ concert tho her performance in that bar where she walks around in her cowgirl hat singing You Can’t Hurry Love comes close.
    That was a great moment in entertainment history.

her performance in that bar where she walks around in her cowgirl hat singing You Can’t Hurry Love comes [[and the poor people are trying to eat!)

Who needs food, when as Marv says a great entertainment moment is happening right in front of you! I still think a massive supreme-ish concert should be organized...Pearlie, Kar Ran, Sunday, Fred, Shanty. Etc etc etc etc
    Last edited by luke; 05-14-2018 at 04:12 PM.

The heck is this?!

The New Supremes 1v featuring Pearlie

Luke! hehehehehehehehehehe........!!!!

How do you explain the new Supremes 4? What were the first three?? I guess Shantel is a Supreme because she worked with Pearlie!

How do you explain the new Supremes 4? What were the first three?? I guess Shantel is a Supreme because she worked with Pearlie!
    It's simple. All you have to say when people ask...."How are they the New Supremes?" Because they said so!

Yes, and at some point, replaced Freda Payne in the Supremes. She's been a busy gal!

Who needs food, when as Marv says a great entertainment moment is happening right in front of you! I still think a massive supreme-ish concert should be organized...Pearlie, Kar Ran, Sunday, Fred, Shanty. Etc etc etc etc
    I can see it up in lights now, Luke....."The Hot Mess Tour".

Good one Lakeside! LOL!!!!

Funny thread...THIS Supremes imposter group puts ALL others to shame...Must watch entire video... https://youtu.be/CzoKYtdVSFQ

They look like they're taking a 1970s gospel album cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSmBmsSqY7s
    How to murder a Supremes' song 101. Should be a law!

Turtle Lake here I come!!

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Funny thread...THIS Supremes imposter group puts ALL others to shame...Must watch entire video... https://youtu.be/CzoKYtdVSFQ
    Stu, yeah I remember seeing them a few years ago. I thought they were pretty good, but there is one from Detroit that beats all the imposters: That would be these ladies right here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSmBmsSqY7s
    How to murder a Supremes' song 101. Should be a law!
    A six minute version of "Where Did Our Love Go?" is just too much to bare!

Mamushka [[TM) Presents: Recording Artist Shantell Baker

Shantel and the Supremes sing "Work That Thing Out!"

Omg The bar video. I have died and gone to heaven! Now if only the parking lot...

That Detroit Supremes group is fantastic! They almost out Supremes the Supremes!

That Detroit Supremes group is fantastic! They almost out Supremes the Supremes!
    The Detroit Supremes had the "essence" of what they Supremes were about. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Stu, yeah I remember seeing them a few years ago. I thought they were pretty good, but there is one from Detroit that beats all the imposters: That would be these ladies right here!

Cmon LOL...MY girls from south of the border, or Spain, or whatever, were actually singing and doing their routines like the real deal...and carried it off quite believably [[even down to the makeup for the real vibe). WADR The ladies you show are more like the remnants of the Lockers Dance Troupe from the 70's...minus Fred Berry...I'm inclined to believe that you, me, and Ralph could pull that routine off just about as well
    Last edited by StuBass1; 05-15-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Hey stu...what color gowns are you guys gonna wear? Hehehehehe!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Hey stu...what color gowns are you guys gonna wear? Hehehehehe!!!

From seeing the extent of how others use the name Supremes, it is no wonder that Mary Wilson balks at this stuff. It's as bad as how the name Marvelettes is used.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,diana never looked so good!!

Is that a human being?