[REMOVE ADS]

One Love in My Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    I always prefered the original album version to the re-recorded single version, and i think the original version would have been a bigger hit. It was more commercial and snappier than the single version.

Diana's vocals were tight and strong but I never like the music. I always wondered who was doing the background calls with her. That album was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Diana's vocals were tight and strong but I never like the music. I always wondered who was doing the background calls with her. That album was awesome.
    Yes it was. For an album with multiple producers it was a remarkably cohesive album.

agreed - it's a very solid and exciting album. and also agree that One Love was a strong song but the single was weak. I've wondered if You're Good My Child might have been a better follow up to Hangover. While nowhere as strong as LH, I think her vocal performance on it is more inline with how she sang the disco segment of LH. One Love is good but more generic IMO. Child is at least unique and different

I prefer the "One Love" single over the album version. I think it was a good decision to go with it as the followup to "Hangover", but I also think it would have been a good decision to re-release "I Thought It Took a Little Time" and then "One Love". It doesn't make sense that the label didn't milk this album because "Aint Nothin But a Maybe" and "You're Good My Child" could have made plenty of noise. And who was the idiot who decided to call the album DIANA ROSS? When Hangover hit, the album should've been rereleased and retitled Love Hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I prefer the "One Love" single over the album version. I think it was a good decision to go with it as the followup to "Hangover", but I also think it would have been a good decision to re-release "I Thought It Took a Little Time" and then "One Love". It doesn't make sense that the label didn't milk this album because "Aint Nothin But a Maybe" and "You're Good My Child" could have made plenty of noise. And who was the idiot who decided to call the album DIANA ROSS? When Hangover hit, the album should've been rereleased and retitled Love Hangover.
    I don't think I've ever played my 45 of ONE LOVE. Since it isn't the version on the DIANA ROSS album, is it the version on her GREATEST HITS album, which is a bit longer and has more instrumental sections?

In any event, I love the song and really love Diana's performance of it on THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL.

It is sad that in the promotion of LOVE HANGOVER, they lost I THOUGHT IT TOOK A LITTLE TIME. That release got quite a bit of airplay in my area. I actually thought it was a hit until I saw the chart position years later.
    Last edited by reese; 05-07-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I don't think I've ever played my 45 of ONE LOVE. Since it isn't the version on the DIANA ROSS, is it the version on her GREATEST HITS album, which is a bit longer and has more instrumental sections?

In any event, I love the song and really love Diana's performance of it on THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL.

It is sad that in the promotion of LOVE HANGOVER, they lost I THOUGHT IT TOOK A LITTLE TIME. That release got quite a bit of airplay in my area. I actually thought it was a hit until I saw the chart position years later.
    I dont know if its the exact same version and my hits album copy is in a box in another state. The single does have more instrumental sections, which is part of the appeal for me in one version over the other.

Yes, she did a great job on it on Midnight Special.

Does anyone know if she ever did "I Thought" live??

I dont know if its the exact same version and my hits album copy is in a box in another state. The single does have more instrumental sections, which is part of the appeal for me in one version over the other.

Yes, she did a great job on it on Midnight Special.
    I don't think i have ever seen this performance. Is it on youtube?

Does anyone know if she ever did "I Thought" live??
    I don't think she ever did, but i do know that she loved this song, and was rather pissed when it was hastily withdrawn in favour of Hangover. I agree it should have been repromoted as the follow up to Hangover. It is a beautiful song that still gets the odd spin on radio 2 here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I don't think i have ever seen this performance. Is it on youtube?
    Hope you can see this across the pond:

The watermelon dress? LEGENDARY tens across the board; OP-U-LENCE! You own EVERYTHING! And a great song and performance by one of the best American popular singers ever.

One Love vocals sounded shrill and strained. Also, the lyrics were corny. I don't think it was even worthy of an album cut.

the single version was included on the Expanded Edition. it's a fine remix but it does have a lot of instrumental segments. for pop radio you need to have vocals. Motown lost this single. should have simply issued the same mix from the lp

I don’t get this song and I never have. To me, it’s fine for an album cut it certainly has a lot of enthusiasm and I like her recorded vocals, but the storyline of the song to me, is weak commercially. I mean, who cares about Diana Ross’ story beyond her big fans? Who us going to Clode their eyes and relate to the lyrics so they Can get lost in the song? Not too many. Even in this clip, she’s making a valiant effort to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear…… But I don’t think she’s into it at all - Just giving it all to ross razzle-dazzle she can.

I would have released I thought it took a little time again, you’re good my child, or ain’t nothing but a maybe and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I don’t get this song and I never have. To me, it’s fine for an album cut it certainly has a lot of enthusiasm and I like her recorded vocals, but the storyline of the song to me, is weak commercially. I mean, who cares about Diana Ross’ story beyond her big fans? Who us going to Clode their eyes and relate to the lyrics so they Can get lost in the song? Not too many. Even in this clip, she’s making a valiant effort to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear…… But I don’t think she’s into it at all - Just giving it all to ross razzle-dazzle she can.
    I think you're right. One Love sounds good but that's about it. but it's not the most amazing disco number.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    the storyline of the song to me, is weak commercially. I mean, who cares about Diana Ross’ story beyond her big fans? Who us going to Clode their eyes and relate to the lyrics so they Can get lost in the song?
    You mean the way people closed their eyes and got lost in "everybody was Kung Fu fighting"? Or "Louie, Louie"? Or "Fly Robin, fly, up, up to the skyyyy"? I get that you can't get into the song, but a weak storyline? I've never heard that used as the reason why a song didn't become a big hit, considering how many songs became big hits and didn't even have a storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Hope you can see this across the pond:

Thank you so much sansradio. That is great!!

^My pleasure, my friend!

I always liked One Love In My Lifetime as it showed Diana in a fiestier mood than we normally get. And, I may have missed this being written somewhere, but, who is the other voice on the track. It always seemed odd to me that it was almost a duet and I never knew who the other person was.

One Love strikes me a bit like Run Run run. certainly not in style or song but in the fact that Motown appears to not have been ready with an appropriate follow up. OLIML is better than RRR but after something as perfect as Love Hangover, it doesn't seem to really capture the same thing. it's not even produced by the same guy. Figured after LH they would have done thing typical thing of having another Hal Davis tune ready

I really like this song... a great disco-y track from Diana. Nice funky bassline.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    One Love strikes me a bit like Run Run run. certainly not in style or song but in the fact that Motown appears to not have been ready with an appropriate follow up. OLIML is better than RRR but after something as perfect as Love Hangover, it doesn't seem to really capture the same thing. it's not even produced by the same guy. Figured after LH they would have done thing typical thing of having another Hal Davis tune ready
    Didn't Hal Davies want Diana to record Don't Leave Me This Way as the follow-up to Hangover?

Tragic it never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post
    Didn't Hal Davies want Diana to record Don't Leave Me This Way as the follow-up to Hangover?

Tragic it never happened.
    Yep. Diana turned it down. Diana didn't wanna be pigeonholed as a disco singer lol

Yep. Diana turned it down. Diana didn't wanna be pigeonholed as a disco singer lol
    I wish she had at least recorded it, but I'm glad Thelma got released. It was her shining moment and she deserved it.

this is my first DR album and I have been hooked ever since, always liked the song and thought it should have been a bigger hit. it reached #25 here but thought it should have been higher but it only got a few spins.
    I LOVED I Thought It Took Time .lovely vocal. a classic performance.
    I thought Motown should have released another single from this album.

She later admitted she made a poor decision here. It was by no means her first or last ill judged decision.

I can't remember Diana even quoting anything regarding DLMTW. Theme from Mahogany, Love Hangover, and Endless Love trailing.